JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Angel Tells Hagar to Return

Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

The manifestation of Yahweh wanted Hagar to acknowledge her place. He wanted her to be honest, just as He asked Adam in the garden "Where art thou?' I believe that if we are honest with God we can accept truth more readily, and Yahweh wanted Hagar to know that He knows her and cares about her and her circumstances.

Why does she send her back to Sarah?

He sent her back to Sarah, because sometims in order for us to become stonger we need to go through difficult situations. She now knows that Yahweh is looking out for her.

Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you?

Yes

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?") Why does she send her back to Sarah? Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you?

He is wanting Hagar to give an account of her wanderings from his perfect will. God sends Hagar back to Sarah because that is His plan for her at the moment even though it meant eating humble pie and may be subject to more abuse. Apparently God wanted more of Hagar out of herself before she would be sent on her way.

There have been times I have reacted and got myself out of the place God wanted for me. It is very humbling. As Christ looked beyond the suffering to the glory that would be His later on He was able to endure the cross. We should not focus on the present situation but focus on what will be ours with Christ when He comes again!

• 4 months later...

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?") Why does she send her back to Sarah? Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you?

1. Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel

already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you

going?") In Hagar

• 2 months later...

The Angel, God, was trying to establish the reason that Hagar was going against His will by leaving her position with Sarah. He sends Hagar back to Sarah because He wants her to have the opportunity to grow faithfully before she and Ishmael are allowed to move forward.

• 8 months later...

2a)God wants Hagar to know he cares for her,he hasn’t rejected her,&affirms her as a woman even though of low status. God calls unbelievers,foreigners and will exalt & use each one.He is the protector of the down trodden & helps the despised & appeared to Hagar as an angel which encouraged her.

b)She sends her back humble her in submission to Sarah, enduring hardship and harshnesss for a higher purpose having a son called Ishmael(God hears),exhilarating promise of numerous descendants,for God’s plan.

c)I’ve reacted but thought know God wants me to stay &persevere to be whereGod wants me be.

• 8 months later...

Q2. (16:7-9) Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?") Why does she send her back to Sarah?

Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you? yes, I am doing it now and I pray it will destroy my ego once and for all.Destroy my impatience, my foolishness, my selfishness. And always put others needs first. My mission was not what my pride thought it was and it is now too late to repair the dammage. I wait for God to deliver me from my lack of good judgement.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don’t know why the angel asks Hagar something that the angel already knows. It has puzzled me that it seems like that goes on quite a bit of the time. Maybe it just for us to confess to what we are doing.

He sends her back to Sarah because she may need to endure some more misery so that God can mold her into something that He can use better for the calling that He has for her.

I have over reacted some times and have gotten myself out of the place where God wants me to be.

• 7 months later...

God wants to interact with Hagar and wants Hagar to talk to him.  So, he initiates the conversation.  God's plan is not for her to leave Abraham and Sarah.  It is God's will for her stay with the couple.  

Yes.  I have reacted to my emotions or feelings and let my will in a situation dominate, which took me out of the place God wanted me.

• 2 years later...

Some has said that Hagar must consider where she came from, where she was going, and where she was at.  First, it seems to me that she might have reconsidered what she left behind.  Even if some things were harsh there, it sure beat where she was at.  She had left a family to which she belonged.

She must consider where she is going wither it is the will of God or not?  In this case, it wasn't.

Why does the angel send here back to Sarah? That she must " . . . submit thyself under her hands" (16:9).  She must live in submission to Sarah that the will of God might be worked out in her life.  There she would find safety for her and the child.

Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you?  Yes, probably more times than I would like to recall.

• 3 months later...

Genesis 16:7-9, the angel ask Hagar things he already knows, perhaps to see if Hagar would answer truthfully.

The angel sends Hagar back to Sarah, because Hagar and her baby will be part of God's will for them. Hagar's son will be the father of many nations.

Perhaps in the past I have gotten myself out of God's reach, but always seems to get my attention and bring me back to him. However, where he wants me and his plan for me I do not fully know. Only through prayer and his guidance will I ever learn my place in his plan.

• 3 years later...

The Lord knows her name and her status and what she was doing at this point of time in her life. Yet He asks her “Where have you come from, and where are you going?” Whenever the Lord asks a question, in spite of being omniscient, He wants to trigger a new thinking and understanding. He wanted Hagar to think twice as to what she’s doing. By calling her Sarah’s maid, He’s reminding Hagar at the get go where she belongs. Hagar was committing two mistakes here. She’s fleeing from her mistress and she’s kidnapping her master’s son. God couldn’t approve of this. Moreover the Lord wanted to teach future Israel important lessons from this incident. Hagar and her son will become a picture of human effort whereas the seed promise through Sarah will become a picture of divine accomplishment. Also Abraham will have to bear the consequences of his sin in that these two sons will be at enmity throughout their life and even beyond, which we see even up to now. God uses them as a disciplining rod for the children of Israel when they go away from the Lord. This will be accomplished only when Hagar returns and submits to authority, which is the right thing to do. After telling her to return He then proceeds to show her how her obedience will lead to blessing.

Yes I have got myself out of the place God wanted me to be in. But He has always been merciful.

• 6 months later...

I believe that the angel asked Hagar because the angel had personal interest in her and wanted her to know that and all wanted her to know that God cared for her as well. She is sent back in order to be submissive and obedient to Sarah even though it is hard to do. Yes many times I have not realizing the repercussions of it. 

• 1 year later...

Why does the angel ask Hagar something that the angel already knows? ("Where have you come from, and where are you going?")

Sometimes we react without thinking. We do something on the spur of the moment to get out of a difficult situation. I think this is what happened to Hagar. By asking her the question and having her reply, it gives her a chance to reflect and re-think what she is doing. 

Why does {she - I don't think there are female angels} he send her back to Sarah?

That is where her place is for now. She was in the wrong in despising Sarai. She is given a chance to repent and in doing so, she and her child are given a chance to learn more of God under Abram's umbrella/protection as it were. 

Have you ever reacted and got yourself out of the place God wanted you to be? 

Yes, unfortunately, I have. God has shown great mercy and forgiveness, for which  I am eternally grateful.