JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Significance of Circumcision

.Q2. (17:11) What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendents? It signifies they are covenant people. Why is some kind of definite act on Abraham's part important to confirming the covenant? Sealed by the circumcision, it confirmed that Abraham and his family were serious in their devotion to God. and the covenant.. What does Abraham's obedience the very same day signify? Abraham

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

signifies his obedience to God & his willingness to trust & believe what God says.

Action from Abraham was important to show God that he understood what was being offered him & what was being required of him. ( Abraham) abraham's immediate obedience once again showed his faith & trust in God & his willingness to do as God required.

• 3 months later...

2a)Circumcision is the sign of the covenant with Abraham,his household &descendents. Abraham fulfilling his part means that he & descendents are eligible for God’s promises.

b)An outward sign or pledge e.g.rainbow covenant with Noah,confirming the covenant, shows it is 2sided, each fulfilling its part.

c)His level of obedience &he didn’t want to show any sign he was breaking covenant.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (17:11) What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendents?

This is following the covenanent of God, and is absolutely necessary to follow His commands when we hear them. I am so guilty of procrastination. I can ask for forgiveness but it doesn't sem to kill the beast inside of me. So to be faithful one must hear God and not say , " I can't do this; I don't ave the skill. Heaven help me!"

Why is some kind of definite act on Abraham's part important to confirming the covenant?

Doing is the way of obeying God, He commands we do, it is that simple.

What does Abraham's obedience the very same day signify? The very same day means get ready and do today, don't worry about tomorrow just as Jesus said to us. Give us the heart of Lord to follow your commands today, not tomorow. In Jesus name. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Q2. (17:11) What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendents? Why is some kind of definite act on Abraham's part important to confirming the covenant? What does Abraham's obedience the very same day signify?

Circumcision signifies for Abraham, his household, and his descendents  the covenant God made with Abraham.  It would be a sign of the covenant down through the ages.

A definite act on Abraham's part acknowledges and activates the covenant on his part.  Abraham's obedience the same day shows that he was serious and took God's covenant seriously.  Abraham had faith and trust in God and acted on that.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Q2. (17:11) What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendents? Why is some kind of definite act on Abraham's part important to confirming the covenant? What does Abraham's obedience the very same day signify?

Circumcision signified for Abraham his household and descendants was that it was an outward sign of God's covenant with Abraham.

Abraham's part of the covenant with God by circumcision was important in confirming his agreement with God and the covenant between them.

Abraham's obedience to God by circumcision to himself and household the same day God commanded him to do was an outward sign for his part in the covenant with God. Abraham believed God and his obedience was his proof of his faith.  

• 3 years later...

Q2. (17:11) What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendants? Why is some kind of definite act on Abraham's part important to confirming the covenant? What does Abraham's obedience the very same day signify?

The idea behind circumcision is the life of the flesh that once dominated you is not to dominate you any longer. Cutting of the flesh symbolized casting away the fleshly life, and not putting any trust in the flesh. But, now because of the covenant, I will live by faith in the Spirit. I will live in the Spirit and not in the flesh. It was also the reminder of the blood covenant to Abraham and his descendants, for the process of circumcision involves blood. Because it was the organ that generated life, it was a reminder that his seed will ultimately bring the Messiah.

Circumcision was the sign of the covenant that God made with Abraham showing they received the covenant by faith. Those who rejected the sign of the covenant, i.e. circumcision, made themselves enemies of the covenant.

Abraham’s obedience was complete. He ensured that every male in his household were circumcised. His obedience was prompt for he did not delay the circumcision, even though it was a painful process, but did it the self-same day. It even exhibited his complete trust in the Lord, for he had virtually incapacitated all his fighting men at the same time. He didn’t tell his son to circumcise himself, but rather he did it for his son. He never thought this is all for others, I don’t have to do it since I am 99 years old. But the very day he heard the word, he submitted to it.

• 6 months later...

It was a seal of righteousness or justification that comes by faith. Any covenant or contract requires two parties to be in agreement when they make it. Each has to do their part. Abraham had to show his obedience to the Lord through the circumcision which would set him apart. Him doing it the same day means that he believed God and also knew God would do what He promised. 

• 1 year later...

What does circumcision signify for Abraham, his household, and his descendents? Why is some kind of definite act on Abraham's part important to confirming the covenant? What does Abraham's obedience the very same day signify?

Circumcision was a sign that the person was a member of the covenant people. It was a sign of the covenant. A sign or a token/mark of a unique relationship with God. 

The fact that Abraham did not question God but fulfilled his side, that same day, shows that he believed God implicitly. 

What an example to follow. 

• 1 year later...

I thought sacrificing animals was a bit odd, yet God found the odor pleasing; circumcision is even more strange. Since no one seems to touch this subject, it must be verboten. I'll just say ...

1) Pastor Ralph wrote that circumcision was common at that time so it could not have set the Israelites apart, at least physically. The idea that circumcision is a physical sign of an inward commitment has less significance because it was commonplace. Besides that, male anatomy is supposed to be hidden even from other males. So it doesn't function as a social signal, like a headdress or something easily visible.

2) Why this? Why not a tattoo or a pierced ear or any of the tribal markings, cuttings and scarification practiced even today? There is something about this particular sign that God honors. Still, it's odd.

3) God requires nothing of women. There is a female analog, as practiced in Muslim/African countries today, but God didn't require this. Why? Why didn't God require a sign from women?

4) Since circumcision is a hidden "branding," the covenant relationship between God and his people must have been secreted "in their hearts," otherwise, they'd be just another circumcised tribe in the area. It must have had special meaning to Abraham's followers. 

5) The act of circumcision mattered to God. It was important to Him. This makes me think that our emphasis on the free gift of salvation in Christ, one that is utterly unmerited and deserved, perhaps has works as an unstated element. I know this is heresy but if God required something of Abraham and family as a part of "signing a treaty" or covenant with Him, does He require something of us, too? Our love? Obedience? Maybe something not so abstract?

6) The fact that Abraham obeyed promptly is inspiring. May we all do the same. If God speaks to us as clearly, even with a strange command such as this, I hope we don't overthink it, and just obey.

7) The fact that circumcision is done at such an early age -- 8 days? -- parallels infant baptism. The child must confirm his baptism/circumcision in a later ceremony, usually around the time of puberty. Thus, with circumcision, God instituted a two-step covenant -- first, the sign of circumcision; later, the ceremony "validating" it -- bar mitzvah for boys, bat mitzvah for girls. Note that in Judaism, girls have a ceremony without a prior "circumcision."

8) Ismael was circumcised even though he was not a child of the promise. Ditto, Abraham's household servants and slaves. So, circumcision wasn't a sign of lineage, though Christ's lineage came from those circumcised, but a sign of being a part of the group that produced the lineage.