JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Heart Circumcision

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. What does it mean to have your heart circumcised? Why is this a necessity for all true believers, both Jew and Christian? How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion? Have you ever struggled with this?

A circumcised heart is a heart  that is committed to God, loves God, and desires to serve and honor Him in all actions.  All of one's actions are determined by where the heart is.  A circumcised heart has a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

If we don't have a circumcised heart then our faith in God is not based on love and truth.  It is not a genuine faith in and relationship with God.  It might be religious and legally based but not a faith grounded in a personal relationship with God.

Our faith can be active and vigorous as an inward expression of love when we daily pray, study God's Word, personal praise and worship and thanksgiving, and service.  It is all about intentionally building a relationship with God.

• 2 years later...

"What does it mean to have your heart circumcised?"  For me, it comes through true repentance: a cutting loose from all sin--a cleansed heart set upon loving God with the whole heart.

"Why is this a necessity for all true believers, both Jew and Christian?"  Christ says a number of things that leads me to believe that a person would have to have a changed heart/direction to love and follow Him.

The first is the "love" requirement: Mat. 22:37 "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind."

The second is the "follow" requirement: Mat. 16:24 "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

The third is the "giving up" for the treasure/pearl--the Kingdom: Mat. 13:44-46 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field. 45, Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls: 46, Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it."

Another is the "worth" requirement.  Just how much is the Kingdom worth to me?  What am I willing to give up/turn loose to obtain that treasure/pearl?

I'm thinking that a person would have to be reborn, changed, and with a new direction to love God and follow Him.

"How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion?"  For me, there are two things: What comes first, and how do I live day by day?

Mat. 6:33 "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

Gal. 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

"Have you ever struggled with this?  Yes, many times.

• 3 months later...

Q3. What does it mean to have your heart circumcised? Why is this a necessity for all true believers, both Jew and Christian? How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion? Have you ever struggled with this?

Circumcision of the heart means to have a heart that is cleaned so that one can love the Lord with all their heart and soul.

Circumcision was not necessary for both Jews and Gentiles because Jesus gave us the New Covenant through his suffering and death.Baptism has become the new outward physical sign of our belief and faith.

To keep our faith active as an outward expression of our love for the Lord rather than an external religion, we must keep ourselves in Gods word, pray continually and live a life worthy of the Lord.

There can be a struggle with keeping with the Lord because daily circumstances of life and the problems it brings, plus trying to live a worthy life of the Lord can be difficult in society today.Prayers and reading Gods word daily keeps ue in touch with God our Heavenly Father. 

• 3 years later...

Paul says in Romans that the real test of who is truly a Jew is one of the spirit, not flesh. A true Jew is the one saved by faith, resulting in the marking of the Spirit. When we receive Him as our personal Savior and Lord, the Holy Spirit marks us as His own. This cannot be done naturally, but supernaturally by the Holy Spirit. And because it is supernatural, this mark is not visible to other. This is the greater circumcision, and it is accomplished when we believe in the promises of God. This is the work of the Spirit when we give our lives to the Lord. The Spirit’s marking is a sign of our covenant of faith. Whether we receive physical circumcision today or not makes no difference in terms of our salvation.

When we belong to Him, the outward expression of the inward reality, i.e. marked by the Holy Spirit, is our love for others. Jesus said, this is how everyone will know that we belong to Him, that we are truly His disciples.

Yes, there have been struggles and learning to overcome them through His grace.

• 6 months later...

It means to purify your soul because all  forms and ceremonies will not work to purify it. In order to love God fully you must be fully purified in your soul first. It is necessary because it is the only way to get close to the Lord. To keep it active we need to spend time in His word daily and in prayer and worship and praise and also with fellow believers. Yes many times.

• 1 year later...

What does it mean to have your heart circumcised? Why is this a necessity for all true believers, both Jew and Christian? How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion? Have you ever struggled with this?

To have the heart circumcised means to cleanse your heart. We need to separate ourselves from any and everything that would come between us and God. This is very necessary for all true believers for else we are playing the harlot with whatever it is we have not dealt with. 

Actions speak louder than words. 

What does it mean to have your heart circumcised? Why is this a necessity for all true believers, both Jew and Christian? How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion? Have you ever struggled with this?

To have the heart circumcised means to cleanse your heart. We need to separate ourselves from any and everything that would come between us and God. This is very necessary for all true believers for else we are playing the harlot with whatever it is we have not dealt with. 

Actions speak louder than words. 

• 1 year later...

The more I think about this question, the less I understand. After reading through the responses, I've concluded that circumcision means everything from sincerity to blood/cutting away sin.

It's best to be quiet until He gives me understanding. 

--

The outer expressions of religion or faith is a function of my inner self which can be impure and weak, at times. It's difficult to keep up appearances when the force within is squelched. The outer eventually reveals the inner, in most cases. Hypocrisy slowly "outs" itself.

--

Faith has to be exercised just like the body. The secret to a strong faith is the time and effort we put into getting to know Him and learn of His ways. We have to exercise our faith: to put ourselves on a schedule of discipline. Even our prayers, though unceasing in a way, have to be focused or channeled by discipline. 

• 3 months later...

To have your heart cleansed and purified before the Lord. We cannot truly serve The Lord in the right way if our hearts are not cleaned. This applies to both the Jew and Gentiles. Out hearts needs cleansing. We need to baptized.

It is best for us not to focus on outward things. Yes we should look decent and do certain things. ( I have to admit I like to look nice all the time lol!) but sometimes people put to much emphasis on outward appearance and not looking at the heart of a person. There are certain things that is unecessary to get wrap up in. Then you have people who put emphasis on they have to attend church on a certain day every week and then they end up not being truly saved. Not trusting in Jesus for salvation. It amazes me someone can do this but I have witness this myself. 

Yes we should go to church in person or online but going to church does not save you neither does looking nice etc... Only putting your trust in Jesus as Lord and Savior will do it. We need to give him our whole hearts. He is worthy of it.