JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Heart Circumcision

In the last part of 17:13, God tells Abraham that the sign of their covenant shall be in his (Abraham's) flesh. At this moment, the Jews were set aside as God's chosen people. God had His plan then, as we well know. Now, if we have accepted Christ, we are His people. To me, to be circumcised in the heart means that we have a recognizable sign that sets us apart from other people. Of course, this isn't a physical sign--but we must see it everyday, be aware of it everyday and live it everyday. Not only that--others must see it in us and want it for themselves. A "baby Christian" is the one to have the most trouble with keeping this concept--believe me, I know! I think Satan gets angry when he sees a person who has just accepted the Christian way of life and goes out of his way to get that person off track and to forget the circumcised heart. That is why more mature Christians should be THERE as a model for others. Others must see our hearts through the way we live our lives. :wub:

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When one's heart is circumcised that person has truly excepted the Lord as sovereign, placing complete faith, trust in Him, submitting themself to His holy word, completely and utterly. Anything less than this, whether Jew or Gentile, is lip service and religious which El Shaddai rejects. Of course I have struggled with this. It takes lots of work to crucify the flesh and die to self, a lifetime perhaps.

• 3 months later...

Q3. What does it mean to have your heart circumcised? Why is this a necessity for all true believers, both Jew and Christian? How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion? Have you ever struggled with this?

[b]To have your heart circumcised means to devote your every thought and action to devoting one's life to glorifying and serving God.

In order to keep our faith active, we must practice Christian disciplines regularly. This includes prayer and meditation, reading God's Word, bible study, Worship and striving to love all of God's children.

This is a constant struggle but the Holy Spirit will strengthen us if we truly strive to keep our hearts right with God.[/b] :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Q3. What does it mean to have your heart circumcised?

To have your heart circumcised is to have your heart cleansed from all unrighteousness and to walk uprightly before God.

Why is this a necessity for all true believers, both Jew and Christian?

Circumcision of the heart is necessary for all true believers because it is a mark of spiritual purity. It is the pure in heart that will see God.

Matthew 5:8 (KJV) Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion? Have you ever struggled with this?

We can keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion by seeking daily to keep your heart pure, to be humble and live according to the commandments and promises of God, then we can keep our faith active as an inward expression of love.

To have your heart circumcised means to have the old sinful self removed and to dedicate ourselves to God. Paul says that for Christians this happens when we are baptized.

Everyone needs to be set free from the power of sin in their life.

We can keep our faith active by studying and maturing in the fruits of the spirit.

Yes, I've failed. I'll fail again but I won't wallow in it. I'll get up and ask God to forgive me and try not to make that mistake again. The men at our church sing, I would not be denied. That's the way I think of it.

• 2 months later...
Q3. What does it mean to have your heart circumcised? Why is this a necessity for all true believers, both Jew and Christian? How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion? Have you ever struggled with this?

having heart circumcised means to have a clean heart - as Abraham was told - Be perfect and blameless - i,e always striving to have a right relationship with God . Acts 7.51 says "Ye uncircumcised in Heart and ears " quoted by Stephen to his enemies who later stoned him :huh:

All beleivers , what ever be the background , need to be circumcised in Heart - we become a new creation , old things are pased away and forgotten . As far as the East is from the West - God has forgiven our transgressions :P

Yes, i have struggled with this problem - If I say I havent - I would be faking myself or not be truthful

We are constantly exposed to the Satanic forces trying to challenge our spiritual life - **** of the ees, **** of the flesh and the pride of life !!!

• 3 months later...

It means to purify your heart through the power of the Holy Spirit and through permitting the Living Word of God to permeate our heart purifing it.

Our God is a Holy God with high and pure standards of conduct. In order for us to have a true relationship and fellowship with Him we must be on the same page with Him.

Daily Bible study, devoted prayer, and active service in Kingdom building will prevent our faith from becoming only an external religion. When we commit ourselves to that one thing that God has called us to do nothing else matters. That one thing should be to KNOW JESUS CHRIST. To know Jesus Christ is to find meaning and purpose God directed meaning in life on this planet. To live a life of faith ground and connected to the dynamics of the Living Jesus Christ means becoming the real deal.

We all struggle with this. Again, the importance of a directed, intentional, and submissive walk with the Lord is critical to a real relationship with Jesus Christ.

It means to purify your heart through the power of the Holy Spirit and through permitting the Living Word of God to permeate our heart purifing it.

Our God is a Holy God with high and pure standards of conduct. In order for us to have a true relationship and fellowship with Him we must be on the same page with Him.

Daily Bible study, devoted prayer, and active service in Kingdom building will prevent our faith from becoming only an external religion. When we commit ourselves to that one thing that God has called us to do nothing else matters. That one thing should be to KNOW JESUS CHRIST. To know Jesus Christ is to find meaning and purpose God directed meaning in life on this planet. To live a life of faith ground and connected to the dynamics of the Living Jesus Christ means becoming the real deal.

We all struggle with this. Again, the importance of a directed, intentional, and submissive walk with the Lord is critical to a real relationship with Jesus Christ.

• 3 months later...

I think to have your heart circumcised is to have it cleansed from the inside out. This is a necessity for all believers if we want to be called children of God. We have to have the love of God in us so we can become Christ like. We can keep our faith active by praying every day for God to cleanse us of any sin, known or hidden, that will keep us from doing His will in our lives. Stay in His word, pray for His guidance, and ask Him to teach us in the way we should go. Yes, I have struggled with this and praise God, He has brought me out and He has taught me so much.

Circumcision has a marvelous spiritual significance. For one thing, a believer cannot receive his inheritance until he is circumcised. This was true outwardly for an Isrealite, and it is true inwardly for a Christian. There is no inheritance until we are circumcised in our hearts. God told Abraham that before he and his descendants could inherit the land of Canaan, they had to be circumcised (Gen. 17:1-14).

Circumcision is to cut away the flesh. Spiritually, it is cutting away of the natural, sinful, Adamic nature we are born with. Uncircumcision represents uncleanness. It means that what we are born with has not yet been dealt with. It signifies that the old nature, with its wrong desires, ways, thought patterns, and responses, still remain.

"How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word" (Ps. 119:9). How does God circumcise our hearts? By the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God applied to our lives by the working of the Holy Spirit. There are a few evidences of a circumcised heart:

(1) A circumcised heart is compliant. "Therefore circumcise the foreskin of your heart, and be stiff-necked no longer" (Deut. 10:16). To be "stiff-necked" is to be rebellious, inflexible and stubborn.

(2) A circumcised heart does not resist the Holy Spirit. "You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in hearts and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you" (Acts 7:51).

(3) A circumcised heart does not resist preachers sent by God (7:52).

(4) A circumcised heart is humble, broken and repentant. "But if they confess their iniquity and the iniquity of their fathers, with their unfaithfulness in which they were unfaithful to Me, and that they also have walked contrary to Me ... if their uncircumcised hearts are humbled, and they accept their guilt--then I will remember my covenant..." (Lev. 26:40-42).

(5) A circumcised heart is quick to forgive and release people for the offenses they have committed. A hardened heart cannot easily forgive but remembers and cherishes grudges (Matt.19:7-8; Mark 10:4-6).

Ask the Holy Spirit to enter your heart and take the sword of the Spirit to remove the unwanted nature of your flesh, that you may enter into a more intimate relationship with God.

The visible signs of a Christian in today

• 1 month later...

To me, having your heart circumcised, means a putting off the old life and taking on a new life in Christ. It is a laying down of my past, and allowing the Holy Spirit to cleanse and purge me, making me new in Christ.

Circumcision is necessary for both Jews and Christians alike. We all have had things in our lives that were not pleasing to God, and it's vital that we allow the Holy Spirit to purge us, so that we are cleansed in all areas of our lives.

By staying in God's Word and having a faithful prayer time will keep our faith active.

Yes, I have faced struggles while serving the Lord, but I am so thankful for the prodding of the Holy Spirit and the convicting power of God in stirring my heart, and drawing me back when I slipped.

• 1 year later...

What does it mean to have your heart circumcised? The Christian equivalent of the circumcision which Abraham and his household underwent is baptism and baptism is an outward sign to the world that we have entered into a covenant with God as descendents, through Christ of Abraham. Circumcision of the heart, whether for a Jew or a Christian is the inward sign of our commitment to that covenant. It requires a total and unconditional giving of our entire being to God so that we can love Him with all our hearts all our minds and all our souls. Of course, in doing this, we also create an outward sign to the rest of the World. If someone is giving themselves entirely to God and loving Him in this way, it is going to be obvious to everyone around them. However, I believe that the real issue here is an inward sign of the covenant which exists between each individual and God.

Why is this a necessity for all true believers, both Jew and Christian? Without this inward circumcision, the outward signs are largely meaningless because it enables us to love God with all our hearts and souls and minds (which is the first and greatest of the commandments (Matthew 22, 37-38)

How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion? All the things that everyone else has said; prayer, bible study, meditation, worship. All of these things are crucial and our Christian lifeblood. Personally, I find just having a constant dialogue with God as I go through life very important too. He should be the first thing I think about when I wake up, the last thing I think about when I go to sleep and should be involved in and a part of everything I do in between.

Have you ever struggled with this? Yes! Other worldly things get in the way. Sometimes I trust in my own judgment, I don't involve Him in everything and I am always the poorer for it. I am learning though!!

• 3 weeks later...

To have a circumcised heart means a daily cutting away or cleansing of the hardened garbage we have. We receive a heart of flesh, soft and pliable so the Holy Spirit can mold us, fill us and use us.

We must have a purification(an emptying out) of the heart to let the love of God fill us.

We can keep our faith active by staying in and absorbing the word. We should be in tune with the prodding of the Holy Spirit.

I think we all struggle with this sometimes. When we let our eyes and heart dwell on other things. God never gets tired of hearing when our hearts cry out for repentence. He loves us.

To cut of my effections with the world and to walk in harmony with my Saviour, I need to walk with the Lord each and every moment of my life, just the mere release of my grip from His hand causes many things to occur in my life.

I love my Saviour and enjoy my times with Him, I enjoy His guidance and assurance.

• 3 months later...

[/quote

Heart circumcision is an exchange from a stony hard heart into a soft and tender one. A change within must take place, to turn away from evil and turn towards God. Because there must be a change of heart, not an external obedience of rules and regulations. Its like an attitude change, a different way of thinking, looking through the eyes of Christ rather than man. This relationship goes deeper and deeper as we dig in and learn all we can about our Father, who he is , what are his promises, how much he loves me and extends himself to have a relationship with me. Jesus has already done everything for me, all I have to do is love the Lord with all my heart... Yes I think we forget and start taking things for granted and just go through the motions, I try to stay humble and close to the ground, I can do nothing without my Savior.

• 1 month later...

Q3.

What does it mean to have your heart circumcised?

How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion?

Have you ever struggled with this?

Circumcision was a sign of being under God

• 2 weeks later...

I truly believe that a circumcision in heart describes our love and obedience towards God. In this spirit, we yearn to know His will because of our love we have towards Him. As human beings, I'm sure the struggle will always be there in this lifetime. It is recognizable when you look for it; one bad thought quickly leads to five more... it is so important to keep God and His ways on your mind all the time. He will protect you from the corrupt nature we all bear. Amen.

• 1 month later...

What does it mean to have your heart circumcised?

For it to be made clean....just that simple.

It is a promise, a covenant, between the Lord God and us, Jew and Christian. It is not just the outward part of the circumcision of the body bu a cleansing of our inner self.

How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion?

We must strive for the mark of Christ.....for His sweet spirit, and be a changed person.... we follow our promise to Him in the act of baptism, but even that can be an outward manifestation if we are not sincere.

I think every human struggles at one time or another with this. We want the "world" to see us as good, perhaps even religiuos but we have to re-center and ger our heart and mind back on track, to be Christ lovers.

• 1 month later...

Q3. What does it mean to have your heart circumcised? To have a heart turned towards God, to have a lifestyle that pleases Him. To live for Him on the inside and this living on the inside shows on the outside.

It is necessary because it we are showing that we are now living unto our Father in Heaven, who resides not only in heaven, but on the inside of each of us.

How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion? By staying in the Word of God and not only being a hearer, but a doer.

Yes, when I did not study the Word like I should, I was only an actor, but God forgave me for my ignorance, because I truly desire to know Him in a greater way.

• 5 months later...

First of all the heart is the seat of the emotions and the center of your will. To have your heart circumcised means to have a pliable heart. Like clay in the potter's hands, our hearts should be like clay in His hands. That means His will, not ours. It means to cut away those things that are not expedient to our relationship with Him. If we enter into a covenant with Him (accepting Christ today) then we need to circumcise or cut away those things that are unproductive to our relationship with Him; those things that hinder our walk with Him; those things that come between God and us!

How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression rather than external religion? I don't think ju8st reading the Word is enough. So many can read the word and go about the day without any regard to what they read. That is just external. But when we read the Word and ask the Holy Spirit to help us, shed some light on this passage to apply it to our lives. Holy Spirit help me! Then it begins to be more internal.

I believe also a crying out to God to keep me pliable. Take the atubborness out!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

To have the heart circumcised is actually have the heart cleansed so that you may live with the Lord with all of your heart and soul (instead of being a "stiff neck").

We keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion by having our hearts circumcised, and keeping our love and faith in the Lord.

• 7 months later...

3a)The heart must be cleansed,trimmed of unnecessary baggage that would prevent spiritual growth, &fruit bearing, so that don’t hinder relationship with God &his plans for me, but love God with all my heart, soul and how I live life.

b)Moves from living to letter of law,to living for God by choice out of love for him,surrendering to the Lord, being cleansed by him& wanting to please him.

c)By internally seeking accurate knowledge, confessing heart of worldly things not pleasing to God &then good things come out.

d)usual struggles of a christian, the tussle in spiritual world for my allegiance.

• 9 months later...

Q3. What does it mean to have your heart circumcised? Why is this a necessity for all true believers, both Jew and Christian?

Moses commands the people: "Circumcise your hearts, therefore, and do not be stiff-necked any longer" (Deuteronomy 10:16).

"Circumcise yourselves to the Lord, circumcise your hearts...." (Jeremiah 4:4) and mourned that "the whole house of Israel is uncircumcised in heart" (Jeremiah 9:26).

"A man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code" (Romans 2:29).

How can we keep our faith active as an inward expression of love rather than become only an external religion? Have you ever struggled with this?"

The Lord your God will circumcise your hearts and the hearts of your descendants, so that you may love him with all your heart and with all your soul, and live" (Deuteronomy 30:6).

Lord end this struggle in my mind and heart; break me and make me yours, let this struggle end my procrastination and blame speaking, in Jesus name.