JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Baptism as the Sign of the Covenant

In your own words, how would you explain why circumcision is

now obsolete for Christians and that baptism is now sign of the

covenant? Just as Jesus was baptised so we should follow in the Saviors steps and be baptised also. Circumcision was for the physical descendants of Abraham to bear testimony of their commitment to the covenant promises. Jesus is the one who has brought us into God

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. In your own words, how would you explain why circumcision is now obsolete for Christians and that baptism is now sign of the covenant

The Old Covenant used the circumcision as their way of keeping the Covenant between God and the people. However, circumcision, a flesh sign, did nothing for the purifying the heart. This is a physical "circumcision.' It is possible to be circumcised spiritually through the New testament baptism. Through baptism our hearts our purified as we identify with Christ his crucification, burial and resurrection.

• 4 months later...

This one leaves me confused because where are the verses that say we as Abrahams; descendents are released from the covenant & where are the verses telling me that Baptism is the new sign of the covenant?

Baptism signifies that we accept Christ as our Lord & Saviour & we wish to repent & be new creatures in Christ. I do not see the connection between this & the covenant God made with Abraham concerning the land he would possess .

• 3 months later...

4a)The physical act of baptism is accepting the new covenant, we are spiritually incorporated into Christ’s crucifixion, burial and resurrection & our hearts are purified, circumcised spiritually and sealed by the holy spirit. For me this happened as an infant, as late parents were believers, &I later affirmed my vows of repentance,&faith in relationship with Jesus, a seal that establishes that through faith God has sent his Spirit into our hearts.. I am a new creation in Christ. My son baptised as a believer at 16yrs. Jesus death cut away my sin as in circumcision & new body given to us.. Literal circumcision was cutting flesh but this did nothing for the heart.

• 9 months later...

Circumcision is now only for health ritual, not for obeying the law of GOD. John the baptist called for repenting and waiting for Jesus to come. Jesus led his disciples to baptize as a new covanent. The old was no longer necessary. Praise God for our salvation through Jesus' blood and coming bak from the dead. Praise His Holy name!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

There are two Covenants: the Old Covenant and the New Covenant.  In the Old Covenant, circumcision was the sign of the Covenant.  In the New Covenant, baptism is the sign of the covenant.  The New Covenant supersedes the Old Covenant.

At our baptism, "we identify with Christ's crucifixion, burial, and resurrection."  In so doing, "our hearts are purified and we are circumcised spiritually."

• 3 months later...

Q4. In your own words, how would you explain why circumcision is now obsolete for Christians and that baptism is now sign of the covenant?

In the New Covenant which Christ initiated by his death and resurrection, we do not practice the physical outward sign of circumcision. We are now believers in what Christ has done for us to be our redeemer and savior from the penalties of sin. The Holy Spirit circumcises our heart and we become a new person in Christ. Our outward physical sign is baptism displaying our faith and belief in Christ.

In the Old Covenant circumcision of the flesh was the outward sign of the covenant given to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. This was the ordinance given to Abraham by God that he and all males in his household be circumcised.   

• 3 years later...

Q4. In your own words, how would you explain why circumcision is now obsolete for Christians and that baptism is now sign of the covenant?

Circumcision didn’t save Abraham and his descendants. It was the faith of Abraham that was counted for him as righteousness. Circumcision was only a sign in the flesh to express that from then on, they will live not by the dictates of the flesh but by the Holy Spirit. Since, it was not circumcision that saved Abraham, but he was saved before he was circumcised, when he believed God, we too are saved when we believe God and put our trust in Him.

Baptism is the closest Christian parallel to circumcision. In Colossians 2:11-12, Paul relates the two ideas together. However, baptism does not save us even though it is a sign of the covenant. But no Christian should refuse baptism. God circumcises our hearts, and that is what God expects His children to have, not a physical circumcision.

• 6 months later...

Circumcision is basically obsolete because it is a setting apart through a cutting of the flesh of the males ages eight days old. That was in the old covenant however when the new covenant came into play and Jesus died on the cross. All believers had to follow His example when it came to baptism which was immersion however not all churches do it. 

On 8/29/2011 at 6:14 PM, sandee said:

This one leaves me confused because where are the verses that say we as Abrahams; descendents are released from the covenant & where are the verses telling me that Baptism is the new sign of the covenant?

Baptism signifies that we accept Christ as our Lord & Saviour & we wish to repent & be new creatures in Christ. I do not see the connection between this & the covenant God made with Abraham concerning the land he would possess .

Colossians 2:11

• 1 year later...

In Acts 2:38+39 we are admonished to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins. 

Circumcision was not a requirement as part of salvation. 

Originally circumcision was a sign that they belonged or were part of the  Abrahamic Covenant. In the beginning this was sincere and proudly accepted and carried out. 

After several generations it was performed as a ritual and we find God calling out to them to circumcize their hearts. The outward sign did not mean much anymore.  

They needed to cleanse themselves from wicked deeds and thoughts i. e., they needed to repent. 

We believe that our hearts are purified by faith and that through the grace of our Lord Jesus (Yeshuah) we are saved. 

By being baptized we show that we are buried with Christ and then risen with Him, through our faith in the power of God, Who raised Him from the dead. 

So the physical act of accepting the New Covenant is baptism in the Name of Jesus Christ. 

• 1 year later...

In your own words, how would you explain why circumcision is now obsolete for Christians and that baptism is now sign of the covenant?

Pastor Ralph neatly equated old covenant with circumcision and new covenant with baptism. This may be true, but I’m not sure. I had thought Jewish ritual bathing was the parallel to baptism, not circumcision.

Orthodox Jews take ritual baths for reasons of spiritual uncleanness such as accidently touching something dead or menstruation – men and women bathe separately – as well as conversion to Judaism. It is a spiritual ceremony, not one that physically cleanses. No soap, in other words. In fact, women (presumably men, as well) wear a white robe during their bath and repeat some ritualized phrases.

John the Baptist … what did his baptisms mean to his followers? It could mean conversion to Judaism, but were not most of the people being baptized Jews “recommitting” their hearts to Judaism, perhaps in anticipation of the Messiah?

I’m also not sure baptism is the sign of the covenant … for that matter, I’m not certain there are any signs of the covenant.

• 3 months later...

There is no need anymore for an outward sign. Literal circumcision is unecessary. Baptism is the sign now. We need to be circumcised spiritually. We have the better covenant because of Jesus and it is so wonderful. Our hearts have been cleansed. We are spiritually cleaned. We have the Holy Spirit living in us. God in us forevermore. This is a wonderful feeling. I'm glad to have been born in the New Covenant. Thank You Jesus!