JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Testing Our Faith

10a)Satan was trials to weaken our faith&cause us to doubt God’s promises.

B)God wants trials to test,strengthen &build up our faith,refining it as iron sharpens iron.God is my refuge &strength

C)Yes-a loss &operation brought into relationship with Jesus, faith tested when whilst spouse in ministry training,had major trial of personal llness.

d)This is an going test of dependence on God,and is being used by him with people we meet.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10a)Satan was trials to weaken our faith&cause us to doubt God’s promises.

B)God wants trials to test,strengthen &build up our faith,refining it as iron sharpens iron.God is my refuge &strength

C)Yes-a loss &operation brought into relationship with Jesus, faith tested when whilst spouse in ministry training,had major trial of personal llness.

d)This is an going test of dependence on God,and is being used by him with people we meet.

• 1 year later...

The effect that Satan want trials to have on my life are that I give up my faith in God and run amuck. The Effect that God wants them to have is to build up my faith in Him and that spiritual mussel gets stronger. I think that all my trails have strengthened and invigorated me at the end. I always want to get closer to God but during a trial I can see that I have.

I don’t know if my trials have inspired others but I do know that some of the trials that I see my friends go through have inspired me.

• 8 months later...

Satan wants trials to destroy our faith in God and our relationship with God.  Maybe even to destroy us.  Satan wants to discount or discredit our testimony and witness.  God wants our victory over trials to encourage us and others and to reveal His glory for all to see.

One of the biggest and most severe trials I have ever been through was when a brush fire came back on me and burned 17% of my body.  I spend three days in the burn unit and eleven days on the trauma ward.  I have spend four years (to date), recovering from this wound.  God has walked with me through the entire trial.  He has made me a better pastor and Christian human-being through this trial.  During those intense 14 days I learned in new ways how to wait upon the Lord and worship and praise in distress.  Ironically, it might have been the best two weeks of spiritual training and growth I have ever had.  God used what seemed to be a terrible situation to develop my spiritual life and draw me closer to Him.  

Through all of this, I was able to witness and share Jesus with my health care providers.  It was great.

• 1 year later...

I believe God knew Abraham would pass the test though it was really tough. God never intended for Abraham to kill his son, Isaac. God tests us so that WE, not God, may know whether we truly fear or/and love God and grow in faith and love relationship with God. However, Satan confuses us with doubts and human thoughts so that we may not see God's good intention and providence. Through trials, Satan tempts us while God tests us. 

My wife and I lost our second child at five month gestation. However this incident brought us closer to God who controls our life. Above all, I was more grateful than ever before to God for giving us eternal life through Jesus Christ. 

• 11 months later...

A. He certainly could have no good.  I think he would want to completely rob me of any good that would come from trials: he would want to completely break me and that any trial would have a negative outcome for me--all bad.

B. I think all good is what He desires for me.  From the following Scripture a list is given: patience, experience, and hope.

Rom. 5:3-4 "And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope:"

C. Yes, many.

D. Yes, many.

• 3 months later...

Q1. What effect does Satan want trials to have in our life? What effect does God want them to have? The effect really depends upon how we respond to the trial. Have you ever been through a trial that strengthens and invigorates you at the end? Have any of your trials inspired others or have you been inspired by another's trial?

Satan's effect on us that he expects is that we will have pain and struggles in life and loss of our hope and faith in the true God.

God uses Satan's attacks on us to help us to persevere in the faith we have for God. 

I have been through trails that in the end they invigorated my faith because it helped me to depend on God and not on myself or anyone else.

I know of no one who has been invigorated by my trails, if there were, they never told me.   

• 3 years later...

Q1. What effect does Satan want trials to have in our life? What effect does God want them to have? The effect really depends upon how we respond to the trial. Have you ever been through a trial that strengthens and invigorates you at the end? Have any of your trials inspired others or have you been inspired by another's trial?

The same trial that comes into our way is used by Satan and God in two different ways. Satan wants the trials to shake our faith in God, lose hope and ultimately be defeated in our walk with the Lord. Whereas God uses the same trials to build us up, to increase our faith in Him, to strengthen us in His ways and ultimately see victory in Him and in His ways. For the thoughts that He thinks towards us are thoughts of peace, to give us hope and an expected end.

Yes, I had been in trials. During those times have experienced the sustenance of the Lord. Even though it wasn’t smooth sailing, God took us through every day. Looking back I am thankful that God used those situations to build me up and thus enable me to impart into others’ lives in a positive manner. In 2 Corinthians 1:4 it says that we will be able to comfort others with the comfort that God has given us. Unless God comforts us we will not be able to comfort others with His comfort.

• 3 months later...

Satan's main goal is to steal, kill and destroy us if he can through our thoughts by inserting something that is counterintuitive to God's word into our minds. He wants us to obey Him and trust Him. So we can be pruned and produce more fruit. Yes I have been through many a trial that have done that. Yes several have. 

• 1 year later...

What effect does Satan want trials to have in our life?

He wants them to cause us to loose faith, to be a failure in our walk with Christ. To give up. 

What effect does God want them to have?

God wants them to draw us closer to Him. He wants us to trust Him implicitly. To obey without questioning Him. (Knowing Romans 8:28 and Isaiah 55 : 8 & 9 is consoling) 

The effect really depends upon how we respond to the trial.

Have you ever been through a trial that strengthens and invigorates you at the end?

Yes

Have any of your trials inspired others or have you been inspired by another's trial?

Yes. When you have walked or are walking a similar walk that others are walking, you can encourage from experience or are encouraged by others knowing they truly stand by your side and help to hold you up. 

• 1 year later...

Satan wants to pull us back, to make us question our faith, even God's existence, and to value death over life. 

I know that some people think that God never sends evil -- he merely "permits it, as if that's somehow less responsible -- but I am convinced that God not only permits evil in our lives, but sends it in the form of trials and suffering. He has His reasons for this, some of which we know, most of which we'll never understand. Trials are sent to broaden our faith, to prepare us for something He may have us do. Or, so I hope!

I have been through hellish trials, particularly lately. I'm crawling out of a deep valley now, inch by inch. My faith in Him has been immeasurably strengthened. I await deliverance. There's only so much I can do that is responsible and godly to extract myself ... to escape.

I know people who have watched in horror and disbelief. Secular people. I'm very aware that my silent testimony is being read and heard by people whose opinion of God may change, not because I'm handing this well -- I'm not! -- but because in the end God may deliver me. His slow piecing together of a life rent apart, in part by my own sinful acts, will be noted.

• 3 months later...

Satan wants the trials to have a negative effect on our lives. He wants to use the trials to discourage us and get us to give up.

God wants to use the trials to help build character and to strengthen our trust in him no matter how difficult things are. 

I have been through trials that help strengthen me . I have been inspired by some of my teachers trials and from people in the bible such as King David and Job.