JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Value of Trials

Hi at the time of my trials I didn't think that they were from God or from the devil, I just knew that I had to do something and let's go and get it done.

Years later I returned to God, nobody can ever leave God completely and then it become evident to me that in all my trials God was always there leading me, loving me, and gently leading me back to Him. I have been home with Him for more that 15 years and I am not leaving, because only He can get me through the tough stuff, even if it is His way and not mine. Even now when I reflect on what has happened in my life I am amazed that I didn't relize that it was God and not me. I have tried to pass on my experiences to others with little or no effect, now, but I am sure that in the future that person will have an aha moment and return to God too.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life? Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?

I have decided to copy and paste the questions here so I don't get distracted on one point.

God's Blessings,

I wouldn't exactly call it value. The trials in my life drove me even further from God. It wasn't until my friend asked if I could go to Bible study with her that I started to see things differently. It took a long time, years even before I was able to see that God wants what is good for us, but to His way and not our way. We can't see the future, we often think we can and we plan accordingly. Sometimes not even to stop and ask God in prayer if this is His will. We figure that God will go along with us and not the other way around. God is patient with us, and with me. I still have my favourite sins that I indulge in, but they are less and less. At times I find myself saying something to my husband about my faith and then I wonder to myself "were did that come from, it certainly wasn't planned by me." It has been little things like that, that has made me trust that God will get me through trials that come along.

God is working in me to change and when I sometimes rebel I very quickly comply, becasue I love Him.

Blessings

Margaret

• 6 months later...

As a believer they make you stronger.And that grows you closer to God. And with that your faith is growing stronger thru. each trial.

No. Satin never destroyed me. But he has won me over for a short time.But than when I get focused back on Jesus.I want to get closer to him Thru. his word,worship and prayer.And to me that is when God start to refine you more.And then you start to see changes in your faith,knowledge and understanding.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Trials have had a profound impact in my walk with the Lord. God has used them to reveal sin in my own life, to learn patience and perseverance, to give me the ability to sympathize with others going through similar situations, to strengthen my relationship with my husband, to strengthen my faith and to grow in wisdom (although I still have no wisdom apart from God).

It has been tempting many times to throw in the towel and let Satan have his way as this sometimes seems to be the easier route to take. But the benefits of persevering through and letting God have the victory in your life far outweigh the short lived peace you may have in giving in.

I find there is little joy while in a trial (v.2) and I've wrestled with this thought this week. I think that the joy comes in the end result....the growth in perseverance, wisdom and faith.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life?

As for me right now many are the defeat and little victories.

Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials?

Romans 7v15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do not do, but what I hate I do.

Or allowed God to refine you?

That's my prayer

How have you changed?

• 6 months later...

Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life?

I hesitate to answer this because I'm still having the trials. It's never over.Since becoming a Christian 31 years ago, I've had chronic agorphobia, which God used initially to bring me back to Him in the first place in search of healing that didn't come. I didn't abandon my faith, even when I got worse and worse. Turns out I had a tumor growing on my pituitary gland which eventually consumed it completely. I'm lucky to be even as healthy as I am, living on medication all the time. As I struggled with health issues my marriage went from bad to worse and eventually we split up in 2007, by which time we were both looking elsewhere for companionship. She found hers at work and I met a lady on line. Through hard work and sacrifice we had built up assets, including the family home which we owned outright, of nearly a million dollars. Today I have a few guitars, my clothes, and half the money I initially had invested in my retirement plan since the global financial crisis took the other half. I live in a rented room in my brother's house. Despite being one of the best musicians in my genre I am under-employed due to the bad economic circumstances these days and, to complicate matters further, the people who control the music industry are bound and determined to put me out of the industry because they can't handle the competition I give their second rate acts. I've been badmouthed out of places where I have been popular with the audiences and now have to travel to out of the way places where I'm not known in order to keep working. When the ememies I have find out where I'm playing they bad mouth me there as well.

So, to answer the above question . . . No value at all, I'm afraid. It's very hard to have faith that God is helping me overcome when I keep getting beaten down.

Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you?

I can't say I've LET Satan destroy me. It's just happened despite my earnest and sincere faith that God is on my side. I'd love to think that God is refining me through my living through these very tough times with no end in sight. One thing that has happened which was extremely beneficial for me occured a couple of years ago when I was in so much pain that I couldn't raise either arm for the excruciating pain in both shoulders. I had a feeling it wasn't physically based because all the deep tissue massage, accupuncture and cortisone in the world could made it any better. I sought out Godly Spiritual healing and they got an untold number of demons out of me that had inhabited me since birth due to my grandfather's heavy involvement in freemasonry. During a marathon five-hour healing session I experienced relief and release such as I'd never known before in any counselling or prayer ministry before. During that session the Holy Spirit revealed to the people ministering to me that I had been cursed, not only ancestrally but in this present time, and the name of the town and suburb where the curse had come from was revealed to me. It's where the two most vicious opponents I have in the music industry are located! I really struggle with forgiveness knowing they're still actively and aggresively opposing me.

How have you changed?

I have become more humble than I've ever been.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life? Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?

The value of trials in my life to date have forced me to apply God's Word in various troublesome or challenging circumstances which has created a stronger and more in depth relationship with God.  My confidence in God has grown remarkably.  Trials have increased the level of wisdom in my decision making.  Trials have forced me to decide whether I'm going handle or navigate a trial as a faithful Christian or as a carnal Christian.  Trials have forced me to practice what I belief and preach/teach to others.  Trials have taught me to overcome anything in Jesus Christ.   Trials have taught to wait upon God.

I have not let Satan destroy me to date with those trials.

Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life? Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed

The value of trials in my life to date have forced me to apply God's Word in various troublesome or challenging circumstances which has created a stronger and more in depth relationship with God.  My confidence in God has grown remarkably.  Trials have increased the level of wisdom in my decision making.  Trials have forced me to decide whether I'm going handle or navigate a trial as a faithful Christian or as a carnal Christian.  Trials have forced me to practice what I belief and preach/teach to others.  Trials have taught me to overcome anything in Jesus Christ.   Trials have taught to wait upon God.

I have not let Satan destroy me to date with those trials.

• 9 months later...

I think, the sad truth is, that I've NOT always seen the 'value' or felt the 'joy' in the trials I have experienced at the time and because of this I've allowed Satan to have a 'field time' with me ... BUT I know that God has never left me on my own and He has always led me to repentance and forgiveness. He has revealed Himself to me through His Word and the love and support of fellow believers and there has been much joy in knowing that.  I have learned that as challenging as some trials may be that, even though my faith may feel as small as a mustard seed, God is faithful and He is in control ... there is 'joy' in that .. I know to go to His word and remain in His Word and stand on His promise that He will never leave nor forsake me.

• 4 months later...

I have had trials in my private (marital) life as well as in my Christian life. I quite agree that endurance was indeed needed for me to understand the purpose of God for me. I remained a respected woman in the community, a loving wife to my husband until we were separated by death and a dear mother to my children. Despite challenges I encountered in my calling to serve God I persevered and learned a lot along the way. I know the deep seated pain of being denied what you deserve just because you are a woman. And I now know what one can do to get what they deserve irrespective of their gender. I know how to look for the positive in the midst of what looks very bad. Trials have definitely changed me and made me a better person.

• 10 months later...

Value of trials.

>Cause us to reflect on our way of life.

>Cause us to reflect Gods promises.

>Cause us to Fast and pray.

>Perseverance as we wait on Gods promises

>Lifted to higher degree of Glor.

Outcomes.

> Repentance

>Strengthening of inner Spirit.

>Able to help others in similar situations.

Value of trials.

Outcomes.

> Repentance

Value of trials.

Outcomes.

> Repentance

The value of trails in my life have taught me to be patient most of all. Wanting some blessings from God now has taught me that I was not yet mature enough to have them when I wanted them. The Lord teaches that we need to grow first so we can be ready for the will of God when he is ready to give it to us.

Satan is always trying to creep in and ruin the gifts or lessons the Lord has for me. Always setting me back two steps for everyone I take forward. Through prayer I have learned patience and obedience.

Making decisions on my own knowledge or power has taught me that my decisions were with out the Lords blessings.

In these trails I have learned to pray, pray and pray. The Lord speaks to me sometimes before I even get through asking him. Sometimes his word gives me answers I was seeking. Sometimes I just wait, his timing is perfect and always right on time. 

• 1 year later...

Trials have different paths of endurance for everyone. These paths can include: death, loss of trust, sickness, persecution, disappointments, etc. These trials come from following God, not from poor decisions.  They teach perseverance, build maturity in faith, and sort true believers from waivers. My trials help me to hold on to my faith and keeps me grounded in God. I turn to scripture for peace, hope and comfort. I’d like to say I would never let Satan… however, I admit that Satan can get to me. Do I ask myself those two tumbling questions? Yes, who doesn’t ask why me or what did I do? The last thing I think of is “it’s only a test of perseverance, cheer up, be joyful.”

Do not get me wrong, I have changed. I read my bible more and listen for God’s answer. I seek to understand His messages and not someone else’s meaning. My faith grows stronger each passing day. However, perseverance is not easy when giving in is and it’s because of this my faith does not show genuine.

Trust is also something I have trouble with. I need to trust in God to persevere in my trials.

• 1 year later...

Praise the Lord, i was a carefree christian untill i came across my biggest trial and i let satan control me for some time untill i came to my senses and searched for true God , got saved and Jesus has changed my life and will forever dwell in the house of the Lordand give all the glory and praise after what i have had to endure and see. the trials have made me know more about Jesus and God, am much nearer to my God than ever before. I know Him who has my life.

• 3 months later...

In reviewing the posts available, I have not seen any current ones for 2018. The posts that are available go back to 2005. Is this study no longer current and no longer viewed if there are current participants?

I have been reading the texts in the book of James and about to answer the questions, but I am not sure that my input will even be seen.

Edited by whateverlord2@gmail.com

I have experienced many trials over my 74 years but God is good. He has never given up on me and as He promised, I was never forsaken by my Savior.  In my younger years in N.C. , my husband at the time and I farmed. I was in an accident involving farm equipment which resulted in all of my hair being pulled out. My scalp was pulled away only in front. I was 24 years old. After a year, my hair began to return.  Within that year, I had to help run a restaurant with my husband and his brother and his wife. The only good that came from that experience was that, while wearing a wig, it made me get out into the public's eye and helped me to gain self-confidence once again.  My two children were 7 and 8 years old at the time. From this experience, I knew that no matter the trials that life would bring, I could always count on my Lord.  

Satan is always lurking around the corner in life to tempt us, trying to draw us away from God. But with God, I am the victor, knowing that He is always with me to guide, protect and love me. Without Him I could never do it on my own. ✝️

• 3 months later...