JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Value of Trials

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life? Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?
My trials have been many,, abut today I am still in the process of maturing in word and in my Lord. Learning to conpletelu leaning on the Lord was a difficukt task and it is a process.I am more willing to stand up for my convictions even tho there arae others who will turn a deaf ear,

Trials in my life have provided a growth opportunity, a chance to become a better, strong, more mature Christian. I have let Satan destroy relationships in those trials and yet I have also let God refine me. There is, at times, a repetitiveness to our trials, almost a second (or third or fourth) chance to learn and do it right. I have changed in a way that, when I once ran from God, as Jonah did, I now run to him. Rather than take the easy path just because it's easy, I take God's path. And I stumble at times, but as I learn more, I stumble less.

• 4 weeks later...

:( Sad to say, but I have found very little value in trials in the past.

I did not like the discomfort of the tests and whined amy complained most of the time"Why Me?"

I see now that by doing that I caused myself to have to go through those tests over and over. When IF I had learned the lesson the first time and let God complete His work in me I could have saved myself the sorrow of going around and around the same mountains over and over again.

Satan has not destroyed me, but I can only give God the credit for that.

It could be nothing other than the grace and mercy of God protecting me from Satan's attempts to destroy my faith that I am still a believer today.

As I said at the beginning...I did not allow God to use the trials and tests to refine me because I did not understand that is what they were for and why they had come into my life. :unsure:

I was under the false impression that the Christian life was to be one big garden of Eden experience minuse the cunning serpent.

Now that I know differently I will strive to react differently and God willing this will be my last trip around those mountains. Lesson learned and able to move on! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have had many trials in my life, both kinds that this study highlighted. I've struggled with things that happened to me but also with things that I have done - sins I've committed. Most recently, my trials have been of my own flesh. I have been so angry at God for my trouble that I pulled away from Christ and this was agony. But lately, I've been seeing that what James said is true. I can look at my struggles as a wonderful opportunity to grow. This can draw me closer to God and for that I'm thankful. I am letting God really teach me and speak to my heart. By doing this, my trials are teaching me too. Satan has had a bit of fun with me because I was letting him win in the midst of my trials but I'm not doing that any longer. I am learning more about the true nature of my wonderful God. I'm letting my trials actually be a way to bring glory to Him by letting Him refine me.

• 3 weeks later...

1) The values of trials in my life have strengthened me and my spiritual walk with the Lord. It helps me put my trust and faith into action. That is, trust in God and place my faith in Him to help me through my trials and tribulations. God always comes through for me. He is always at my side. I know that sometimes, we think we cannot deal with a trial/situation, but we can just as soon as we put it in God's hand. We just have to be patient and wait upon the Lord. WAIT UPON THE LORD.

2) Satan will never destroy me through trials because I am covered by the precious blood of Christ. I have learned to stand my ground and stand in Satan's face with the WORD of GOD.

3) God refines me through each trial and tribulation I go through. This happens as I turn the worries and trials over to HIM.

4) I have grown in my Christian walk. I have learned to go to God and reach out to Him. He is my ROCK. He is the one who delivers. I praise HIS HOLY NAME.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not been a good one to appreciate trials. It seems we must get older to appreciate the trials we have been through. And, we then tell those who are younger how important those trials were. Trials work whether we embrace them or not. They have made me more steadfast, more mature, more productive, more willing to listen to others and on and on I could go. We go through our entire lives trying to avoid trials and conflicts not realizing what God is doing. He is going to do it no matter what we want. We might as well embrace them. James nailed this one. The goal is to come out pure as gold. Pure joy?

Since my recovery as an alcoholic I have faced many trials, and being human, haven't always rejoiced in them. Almost instinctively I allow Satan to take me by the hand to my pity pot. Why me? Why is this happening- I've been good, reading the Bible daily, etc. Slowly I realize that God is perfecting me through the fire of my trials, making me pure and complete. I take so much comfort from this letter of James because "giving up" seems so enticing at times yet I remind myself that God has me exactly where he wants me and if I persevere I will allow Him to purify me. Thank God for this Bible Study!

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life? Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials? Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?

The value that trials have had in my life are many but the main one Im learning is paticence. We live in such a fast pace world that paticence is truely a verture. Gods timming is perfect, and we can experience his peace even in the middle of our life storms(trials) but only by the help of the Lord.

I have fallen short of Gods glory in some trials and many times Ive experienced Gods glory and have seen his mighty hand in my life personally as well as my family, and friends.(The thing Ive learned is to keep my focus on the Lord and know who he is(through Bible reading, and prayer) Our one-on-one communication with the Lord which includes being still and quiet at times is vital. Also, James 1:5-6 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. I believe God wants us to ask for his wisdom and totally trust him and to not be wavered by our personal storms (trials of life).

I Praise The Lord because Im not the same person I use to be (non of which was good) I'm paticent not because of me but because of what God has worked in me through my trials and choosing to yeild to his will. Im able to share paticence, steadfastness and endurance with those God places in my path just like has and continuelly does for me:)

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (1:2-4) What value have trials had in your life?

Trials have taught me that I can trust God's promise to be with me always. I am stronger, wiser and more committed to my Lord and my confidence in Jesus is further secured knowing that when I'm going through the trials He continuously intercedes for me.

Have you let Satan destroy you with those trials?

No, I am still trusting God through it all.

Or allowed God to refine you? How have you changed?

I have matured in my Christian walk. Today I can face a trial and know that it's a test and it only came to pass.

• 2 weeks later...

To some extent, I have, at the bare minimum allowed the trials in my life to damage me if not destroy me. After years of addiction, I now have hep c. God has healed me of my addictive lifestyle, but the so-called "wreckage of my past" still to this day rears it's ugly head.

However, I have made great strides by the grace of my Heavenly Father to take back much of what I so easily allowed Satan to take from me. I went to school for a couple years, developed a skilled trade that did not involve working in a restuaurant / bar, rebuilt my credit and become a productive law abiding citizen. I still feel terrible guilt and have trouble forgiving myself because of the pain I have caused my family and friends. I feel bad that I have Hepatitis C, but sometimes I feel a sense of relief, like I deserve that punishment and it somehow helps with the guilt. This, I know is dysfunctional thinking. God has forgiven my sins. Jesus Christ died a horrific death that my sins could be forgiven. Because I have asked God for his forgiveness, and because I have repented and changed my lifestyle, nothing else is required. I no longer need to feel guilty and beat myself up over this. Actually, I do not have the right to beat myself up, as I believe it works to negate the price Christ paid for me.

I believe I will be cured of this illness. I know that God can and will heal me. I am afraid however, that my faith alone is not at this time strong enough for healing me without medical treatment. My faith is strong enough that I believe with all my heart that once I complete the 1.5 years of chemo (interferon) that I will walk away a healed man. My statistical odds are just under 50%, and this is where my faith does kick in. I know that I will be a success story and that the medication will cure me with God's help and with God's favor. I also am believing, though I do struggle with this, that I will not be so sick from the medication that I cannot work or function. I work as a welder / fabricator for a great company, and I am paid well and my healthcare is part of my benefit package. It is, however, a very hot, physical job. Also, my mother recently passed away leaving my 83 year old father alone. My wife and I moved in with Dad after the funeral and began caring for him. My brother and sister are unable to do a whole lot to help with this huge endeavor. I saw after only a couple weeks the strain this was putting on my wife, so I told her she could return home until I figured out what to do. I promised Mom that I would do everything possible to keep Dad out of a nursing home, and I intend to keep this promise. After a couple more weeks, I told my wife that I could not do this without her, and that perhaps we could move Dad to our home. She said instead that she was thiniking more along the lines of ending our marriage. I feel very overwhelmed. But still I believe that God will see me through these trials. I know I will come out stronger in faith as the result.

My prayer is that I will not be too sick from the treatment and that I will be able to not only work, but also continue to care for Dad. I understand it will be hard, I just pray that it is possible. I believe that it is possible through Him who strengthens me. Satan has hit me hard. That is his job, that is his purpose. He comes to steal, kill and destroy. But greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world! He may deal me hard blow, but he will not be victorious.

• 2 weeks later...

I know trials and am in one today...I have wondered why there are so many trials I have to face ..this is the hardest trial I have ever had to face...I could not recognize the path I am on...Through my weakness...I am reminded of Job...when he told the Lord..though you slay me...I will trust you...and that is the way I feel...No matter the outcome..I will trust Him ...I know who I believe in...and it assures me to give no place to the evil one but to Thank God for the trials that make me dependant on Him...

for many years of my life i let trials push me deeper into sin, it seemed that drinking was my only relief and then i met my lord. and a saint told me to take my lemons and make lemonade out of them. now with each trial i just wait to see what the lord is going to do praise God

I am going through a trial that is very hard..but I am reminded of what Job told the Lord...though ou slay me...I will trust ou...Even though I may not understand the will of God..I know it is perfect...It is not easy to be a christian..those who have gone before us suffered greatly for the cause of Christ...prosperity was not on their minds but to endure to the end..To live is Christ..to die is gain..to endure is to reign with Him...This is what i think about and it has changed my life as I use to go through trials trying to make it on my own and I fell so hard...but now that I am older in th Lord...I welcome the trials for each one makes me more dependant on the Lord and has greatly changed my prayer life from I want ...to..Thank You Lord for all you do...thay brings me to your feet...

I loved reading all of your posts. It really excites me that we can talk openly here of trials and how God uses these trials to help

us grow closer to Him and to be able to be a better witness to others. You are all doing a great job!

My biggest trial, I think, is learning to be bolder; and to try to do the Big things that God wants me to do. Yet, I find myself timid.

Also, I have several family/church members who are struggling w/ health issues and circumstances--including myself (I'm recovering from a broken leg.)

This study is going to be really great and in-depth.

• 2 weeks later...

The trials I have encountered in my life have directly contributed in developing my spiritual life and my relationship with God. Satan has not destroyed me by any trials I have encountered in life.

God has and is continuing to refine my faith through all events in my life. As a result, changes in my life include: my trust in God has grown immensely; I have developed a giving and generous heart and lifestyle; I have developed an unselfish desire to minister to others; a disire to be a blessing to others and a sensitivity to His direction in my life. Most importantly, I have learned to permit God to be my God.

• 4 weeks later...

Trials a many; my health, my children, my marriage, and my relationships in the work place. There are so many, but God's grace and mercy has brought my through each and every one. I have learned that these trials "Come to Pass". They will pass if we just hold on to God's Word. I have become a better person I think. I understand better, I don't judge anymore, and I don't judge them by their trials or how the come through.

• 1 month later...

It's been difficult lately to keep moving forward. I've been finding myself moving farther away from the Lord with different trials that I'm experiencing (mostly with work). I know God put me here (my work) to use me to glorify his kingdom, but I'm emotionally drained at the end of the day, and I find myself distant from my kids and my wife. It's taken its toll. This is the first time I opened my bible in over 8 months. The Enemy keeps encouraging me to stop reading. So many things are unclear. All I can do and All I need to do is to stop worrying and trust that He has GREAT plans for me and let Him take control.

• 2 weeks later...

Trials, we all have them, but it is good to know that indeed they don't come from God, but as I understand, we have certain, maybe not even conscious evil desires, that God knows are there, and the only way to show them up to us so that we can confess them and He can clean them away from us is through certain trials/ problems.

When we encounter the problem, our human sinful nature wants to run and hide, or fight, etc in other words, we naturally have the desire to deal with it our way, not God's. We eventually come to the place of .waiting patiently on the Lord. This is a good place to be because we are calm and at peace. How do we arrive at this point? Our focus.

Every vengeful, fearful thought, every tempting idea, surrender it to God over and over again 100 times per minute if necessary, (resist the devil and he will flee)and choose to dwell instead on anything good,... bible promises,bible stories, picture Jesus with his disciples along the beach at sunset, whatever you can to get your mind off of the trial..... "though wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee.

Remember, there is nothing that can separate us from the love of God! As you progress in treating the trial like this, ask God to show you what it is you are supposed to overcome in this situation. In this state of focusing on the Lord, and dwelling in his peace, it is easy to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit showing us 'the way" both of the fault we possess that he is trying to cleanse us of, and the way to deal with our problem. We may fail, flounder, and fall, but, no worries, He will allow the same problem in another form our way again, so that we can finally be cleansed of that particular sin. Why? Of course, because he loves us and wants to spend eternity with us and this my friends, we can count as "All Joy"!

It's been difficult lately to keep moving forward. I've been finding myself moving farther away from the Lord with different trials that I'm experiencing (mostly with work). I know God put me here (my work) to use me to glorify his kingdom, but I'm emotionally drained at the end of the day, and I find myself distant from my kids and my wife. It's taken its toll. This is the first time I opened my bible in over 8 months. The Enemy keeps encouraging me to stop reading. So many things are unclear. All I can do and All I need to do is to stop worrying and trust that He has GREAT plans for me and let Him take control.

Hi There;

You sound a little tired. Trials can do that! Trust me! But even more importantly, your focus on them, keeping them 'before your eyes' is the real problem. If God would allow it (which He wouldn't unless it was your choice) satan would destroy you with these thoughts. Yes, the problems are there, we already know that, but is it really our job to think about them? To figure out the solutions to them? No! 'Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, and lean not unto your own understanding, .....' to me this says, any worrisome thoughts that pop into your head are not from God. Any fearful or confusing thoughts are not from God, therefore, by surrendering thought by thought and choosing to think about 'good things', we gain the victory. It is a moment by moment battle, and if we resist each problematic thought soon the battle subsides and we see the solutions 'resist the devil and he will flee from you'. Incidentally ...this process of Godly victory when followed. works with every temptation.

God is with you...thought, by thought let him take the wheel!

Sincerely

In Christ

Donna

:D

I'm been in church since I was a baby. I've had more what I felt was my share of problems, until I learned that God will put no more on you than you can handle.

My Storms are just A test to strengthen me.. So I now thank God for my trials, for they caused me to be stronger in my FAITH.

I have also learned not to let Satan destroy me with trials. I now know that he will try all, your health, finanes, HE WILL come through your family, OR CLOSEST FRIEND. Yes I have changed. I don't break down when trials come, i try to remember that I have nothing to fear and that God will never LEAVE NOR FORSAKE ME.

Bold Faith...

Without trials I would be a withering vine, unkept, overgrown; rotting... I find, the sooner I come to understand God's grace is in the process of the trials, the sooner He pulls out the pruning sheers and cuts away the incompleteness, enabling me to grow the good fruit of who I am becoming in Him. Because I see the value in trials, I am an example to others, giving Glory to Him for it and through it. My God is bigger than any trial that comes my way - and each time I overcome - He blesses me abundantly in ways I never imagined.

I have my days though, if we are to be completely transparent and honest here on this forum, where I feel like the sheers have been wielded with such vigor that I am left as a lone stump in a desolate forest... those are the times I draw even closer to the throne... where only Gods grace can comfort me...

Blessings to you and may you find comfort in Him.

Joyful 247

I've had a lot of trials in my life and i know that they (trials) just made me stronger in my faith. They continue to teach me to stand firm and believe and know that God will shower me with his grace and mercy as long as I have faith and believe.

• 1 month later...

as I look back I can see the various trials. I am thankful for each one. I will say that I haven't always been thankful, especially in the mist of the trial. Satan has been able to bring me to my lowest point, but my LORD and SAVIOUR has always been faithful to bring me out. Only when I place my eyes back on the Lord do I overcome the trial. His word is always encouraging to me. I know because of the trials I am who I am today. I praise God!!

I have to say that I have not looked at my trials in my life as values. I have actually felt they are a curse. I have allowed Satan to steal my joy and cause doubt in my life. Today, throught this study I have seen that the trials I have face are for the good and there is value in them. Thank you Lord!