JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Doublemindedness

Q3. (1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

Trails help us to identify the parts of our character that is sinful and wrong. By helping us identify these areas we can repent of them and allow the Lord to bring us closer to him.

These trails help us grow in faith because when we identify the sinful parts of our character, the Lord will help us if we do not doubt his help. If we ask he will guide us in our life and remove the sinful parts of our character.  

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.      Double mindedness means to be a doubter, a double-minded person. Jesus spoke of a double minded person as being the one who tries to serve two masters (Matthew 6:24). He is “unstable,” which comes from a Greek word meaning “unsteady, wavering, in both character and feelings.” Such a person is always in conflict with himself. Trials help us to keep our minds set on Jesus, not wavering between heaven and the world. During trials we do not know what will happen, therefore we are to ask for wisdom to discern right from wrong, not for the knowledge of what to do so as we do not bring judgment on ourselves. We must depend completely on God to circumvent our trials or be crippled by our indecision and remain spiritual babies.

• 1 year later...

how do trials help cure us of doublemindedness 

Trials have made me use several ways to solve however after knowing the true God, Jesus i am now sure of who to go to and what to do in case of trials, iam assured of my creator and have known of satans ways. my faith has been strengthened and trusting on Jesus where i have seen results. 

• 3 months later...

When we are in the middle of a trial, it is easy (for me anyway) to take the rope and run with it, depending on my own resources and actions rather than depending upon God...rather that having faith in Him and knowing, remembering that He is always there wanting to see me through. Learning the hard way that my dependence is not in my own doing, rather it is in having faith in God and relying on His guidance in whatever comes my way, 

Experiencing the many trials in my life, I know that I cannot make it without Him. I rely upon His Word to guide me and to communicate with my Father through prayer. I will never live long enough to endure trials on my own. Thank God for being there for me, for all of us in even the smallest trials and/or the biggest trials in our lives. ✝️

• 1 year later...
  • Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Doublemindedness
  • 4 weeks later...

Trials help our "double-mind" because we know without a doubt if it was not for God we would not have been here to testify of how we are at the other end of our situation. Trials help faith because it provides proof of how God sees us through difficult times.

Lol, I couldn't help but think of a toy I had called the "Weeble Wobble" ? It is a punching bag that stood about 3 feet tall with a weighted base, when you punched it, it would wobble back into an upright position.  The more you hit and punched,  the more it weeble wobbled back to its original position. 

The more I got punched and hit with trials, the less wobbly I became,  now I can take a trial punch,  not saying I don't weeble,  but the wobbling has decreased! All glory goes to God in the name of Jesus! :rolleyes:

On 5/14/2022 at 10:35 AM, CeeSue said:

the "Weeble Wobble"  ...

CeeSue -- You made me laugh. If I'm remembering correctly "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down"  were the ad lyrics? Yours is a wonderful illustration of how we wobble less after every trial.

--

How do trials help cure us of “doublemindedness”?

Doublemindedness is the state of wobbling between trusting ourselves (our own assessment and solutions to the problem) and trusting God (blindly letting Him solve the problem in ways we can't predict.) During periods of doublemindedness, God forces the issue. He coerces a decision. The decision we have to make is not necessarily between this or that solution but between two ways of coming to the solution. 

Do I first turn to God as the way of solving the crisis or trial or do I first turn to myself?  I may, logically, arrive at the same conclusion or solution as the one God eventually chooses, but if I do my own contriving first, I failed the trial.

Thus, trials force me to prioritize, in time and before logic, God.

In my life, most trials have to do with learning to pray first. I must pray that God will solve the problem it in His way and time and not jump in front of His parade.

How do trials help us grow in faith?

I hate trials but know that they create a state in which spiritual growth occurs, often rapidly. Horrible trials (tribulations?)  drop me to my knees in questioning, anger and, eventually, resignation. Then, comes faith and the submission He was looking for all along.

(Why I keep fighting this process ... I don't know. Sin nature, I guess. Submitting to HIs outcome is very difficult for me.)

The only "joy"  I count from trials is the hope and expectation that I'll be both more usable and used afterward, that God is making me go through this for reasons only He knows. I pray it is true that God builds character in His children not for the fun of it, or as an end in itself, but because He wants to use us in a particular way, to send us on an assignment. 

Q3. Doublemindedness means having two minds about something in this case we are thinking about our faith and following God. When we are not 100% convinced about our faith we are double minded and this leaves us vulnerable to temptation. However when trials come and our backs are against the wall , and we don’t know where to turn we turn to God and hold on and pray like never before. Little by little we realise that Jesus is helping us through this difficulty and slowly our faith begins to blossom. We realise how sinful we are and with God’s help we stop sinning and doing wrong. Gradually when trials  and temptations come we begin to turn to Jesus first and not wait until all else fails. 

Q3. (James 1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of “doublemindedness”? How do trials help us grow in faith?

We know that our Lord is mighty, he saves and protect us. Because of trials, huge pain, current circumstances or surroundings,  people may be double-minded and lack faith. But knowing that our Lord Jesus is with us we can easily overcome such doublemindedness. 

Trials reveal us that Our Lord Jesus is mighty and our savior will save us. And it increases our faith more and more.

On 12/18/2004 at 12:01 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (James 1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of “doublemindedness”? How do trials help us grow in faith?

Trials are reminder that life is hard, struggle is raw and real. And apart from tangible solutions to it, we require mental, emotional and spiritual healing which only Christ can provide through His people. The confusion and helplessness we feel makes us disillusioned for sometime, we start blaming pothers and God and we forget the bigger picture and real purpose for sometime. But the beauty of trials and confusions/doublemindedness is the way God handles us during trials, the way He handled Job. He works through our trails and refines us, and we realize who we need to look upon during this time and what matters. Our faith is also tested that whether we are able to regenerate again the hope we lost for sometime blinded by our trial. And slowly we see God working and we getting comforted or finding solutions. Waiting is part of getting tested as well. We see this through Job's life as well. So being down and confused for a bit is ok, but we need to emerge as stronger beings and recommit that Christ is still in control of everything and He is sovereign over everything. 

On 12/18/2004 at 12:01 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Trials are reminders that life is hard, and struggle is raw and real. And apart from tangible solutions to it, we require mental, emotional, and spiritual healing which only Christ can provide through His people. The confusion and helplessness we feel make us disillusioned for some time, we start blaming others and God and we forget the bigger picture and real purpose for some time. But the beauty of trials and confusions/doublemindedness is the way God handles us during trials, the way He handled Job. He works through our trails and refines us, and we realize who we need to look upon during this time and what matters. Our faith is also tested by whether we are able to regenerate again the hope we lost for some time blinded by our trial. And slowly we see God working and we get comforted or find solutions. Waiting is part of getting tested as well. We see this through Job's life as well. So being down and confused for a bit is ok, but we need to emerge as stronger beings and recommit that Christ is still in control of everything and sovereign over everything.   

On 12/18/2004 at 5:31 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

On 12/18/2004 at 5:31 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

When we are faced with the trials of this life, we can ask for help and trust in the Lord to help us through those trials. By surrendering those trials to Him and resting in His sustaining grace we exercise our faith in His power. 

As we persevere in each trial, we grow in our faith to trust him more and daily

(James 1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of “doublemindedness”?

Trials help to cure doublemindedness because we are able to face our sins and do something about it.  My Pastor has a saying "can't fix it until you face it."

We grow in faith when we see how God has brought us thru our trials. 

Trials keep us from being double minded because we need to keep our focus on the Lord. This prevents us from all the other thoughts, knowing that our Lord will see us through whatever trials we face. Trials help our faith because that is what keeps us during that time, knowing by faith that God will work it out.

On 12/17/2004 at 1:31 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When we are tempted by evil desires, we need to surrender them to God.  If we think we can handle them, we are only fooling ourselves, that is when we become double minded. We need to be accountable to God, confess them and let Him work on them.  Submit to God, and resist the devil.  When we say no to the devil, and put the Lord first, we get delivered and become mature, become single minded in our love for God and grow in faith.

Trials a lot of times take up a lot of our energy.  When we're facing a trial of some sort, we are focused on that thing.  I was recently in a course where one of the students had a horrible tragedy happen, the kind where you wonder how she's able to get out of bed in the morning.  She was too far into the course to drop it, so for the last several weeks, every time she posted, she mentioned what she was going through.  A trial like that permeates every part of our lives.  What this person did, and I think it's what a lot of people do, is she spent a lot of time in prayer.  She asked God for help.  She listened for God's response.  I don't know how many people in general get past trying to negotiate with God ("If you heal my loved one, then..."), but I think in those times people can hear or feel God's presence and comfort because they understand that at this horrible moment, they can rely on God.  

Q3. (James 1:5-8)

How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"?

We reach the end of our tether and cannot go on anymore.  We then call out to God Who in His love for us points out how our actions are one day like this and then like that. No certainty in our decisions or actions. We are showing fruits of double mindedness. If we then allow Him to help us break with sinful actions, desires, thoughts, etc., which lead to the double mindedness,  He will do so and set us free.   We are able to lean on God, strengthen our faith in Him. Our decisions for actions that had plagued us in the past, change.  They coincide with God's ways.  No longer are we double minded about our actions but secure in God's leading. This is a sure way of increasing our faith.  so overcoming the trials helps our faith to grow.

Q3. (1:5-8) 
How do trials help cure us of "double-mindedness"? 
We have to approach God in faith; there cannot be any doubting. If we begin to doubt His power or goodness, we will have no stability in times of trouble. He must be our anchor during these times. From His promises we know He loves and cares for us, and that nothing is impossible with Him. By studying His Word, we learn general principles that we can apply to any daily problems that may arise in this world. We learn that God’s will is to protect all who belong to Him, so wicked forces can never touch our salvation (1 Pet 1:3-5), but they can lead us into sin and ruin our fellowship with Christ. 
Trials help us to turn to His word and to prayer. It is during our prayers that we ask for wisdom to solve our problems or trials, this will be given liberally, but here it is crucial that we ask in faith and without doubting. Spiritual wisdom is the practical application of our Lord's teachings to everyday situations.

Q3. (James 1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? We are double minded for as long as we have the devil’s options which are easy to turn to. As soon as we grow weary of Satan’s options, we become moldable and chastised by the Holy Spirit. As we repent, Satan’s sin power over us is broken and we are free. How do trials help us grow in faith? Despite Satan’s lies, trials are unpleasant and debilitating. Getting on the other side of trials, therefore, is a victory worth celebrating by etching it in our hearts with gratitude to God, realizing that we truly are nothing without Him; thus growing in faith.  

Q3. (James 1:5-8) How do trials help cure us of "doublemindedness"? How do trials help us grow in faith?

Trials turn our attention back to God in confession and repentance if we have sin. We can then have time for and with him and call upon him to deliver us from the cause of the trials. As he answers us, our faith in him becomes stronger.

On 12/17/2004 at 1:31 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When we are faced with trials we are given the opportunity to "try" God.  He has given us the tools to survive daily trials and tribulations, in them we can either act in faith and be a "winner" or act in doubt and be a loser.  To quote an old slogan from Zig Ziglar "Success occurs when opportunity meets preparation."  With each success we become stronger, filled with faith and life becomes sweeter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...