JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

1.) When we just sit and listen to a message or teaching and do not DO what we are taught, then we are not obeying God's word at all.

2.) Self deception is when we think we know all and we are just ok if we go to church on Sunday that we have done all that we need to do. WRONG... We have to obey the word of God and DO what the word says to do.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1:22) Why are we so easily fooled into thinking that listening to Bible teaching means that we are living out righteous lives?

We are easily fooled into thinking that listening to Bible teaching means that we are living out righteous lives because we allow our familiarity with the Word, knowing what is right, to deceive us. In some, this familiarity with the Word does not translate into godly living, they hear the word but the word does not have the impact of bringing them to repentence and walking uprightly.

What is the nature of the self-deception?

Self-deception can breed a kind of self-righteousness, a spiritual smugness within us. We know the truth. We know what is right. But it is quite possible to confuse knowing the truth with doing it.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, many people believe that just going to church and participating in Bible studies is practicing Christianity. Head knowledge seems to equate to Christian living. I think people compartmentize their lives. We have a life we live daily and then we have a church life and the two never meet. The Christian life to many is a private self-righteous faith that is all about them.

The nature of self-deception is our selfishness and living the gospel according to ourselves. We like what Jesus said, but only apply in our own lives what is comfortable and convince ourselves using our own logic that this is God's will for our lives and then get angry with those that practice the full gospel.

• 4 months later...
Q2. (1:22) Why are we so easily fooled into thinking that listening to Bible teaching means that we are living out righteous lives? What is the nature of the self-deception?

It is much easier to listen to Bible teaching, especially for someone else, than it is to take it on board and humble ourselves by acting on it. I found myself listening to a sermon the other day thinking how good it was that my husband was there to hear it. As I prayed that God would speak to him I got a nudge from the Holy Spirit and knew that I needed to hear some of the points being made and make changes in my own life. Listening to sermons at church and not acting on them really means that we are not interested in a real walk with God and are just interested in doing our "duty".

We can use our knowledge of the Bible to show off to others how "spiritual" we are and have a sense of pride about it. This misses the point and all through Scripture we are reminded that we need to humble ourselves before God and do His will.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (1:22) Why are we so easily fooled into thinking that listening to Bible teaching means that we are living out righteous lives?

I tink it has much to do with the "awareness culture" we are in now.. We think that we have to be aware of all things happening around us which makes us kind of immune to everything.. I guess the same applies for the Bible as well. We are always going to church, listening to the Word of God being preached and we read the Bible everyday and we know it so much that we decieve ourselves into thinking that all of these are enough to be righteous.. In that manner we are no different than the Pharisees in thinking about ourselves righteous according to what shows on the outside rather than the inside.Its more like all listening and no doing at all..

What is the nature of the self-deception?

The nature of self deception is that it makes us vulnerable to all sorts of sins.We just keep on listening and do nothing which makes us grow weak in our practical faith without which living a life worthy of a christian is impossible..We fail to understand that more than the community we are more answerable to ourselves..

• 1 month later...
Q2. (1:22) Why are we so easily fooled into thinking that listening to Bible teaching means that we are living out righteous lives? What is the nature of the self-deception?

I think some people are fooled into thinking that merely listening to Bible verses is the same as living out righteous lives because they wrongly believe that they believe in Jesus. I used to be such a person. I thought I believed in Jesus properly for thirty years - I believed Jesus was crucified MERELY to pay the price for my sins so that I wouldn't go to hell and because I believed this, it did not seem logically necessary for me to stop sinning; indeed, when I tried to stop, I found that I could not. This improper foundational belief cracked like a great earthquake when, after decades of addiction to sin, I considered the fact that Jesus commanded the adulterous woman whom he forgave to "go and sin no more" - while she was still on earth. From this scripture I reasoned that Jesus somehow made it possible for this woman to leave her life of sin even at the heart level where desire resides. I reasoned further that such a change in a person was equivalent to a death and resurrection of that person; a death of the person she used to be with all her sinful desires and a ressurection of a new creation without sinful desires. Although I was not aware that Jesus accomplished this new changed life by living inside the woman in spiritual form, I asked Jesus to make this change in me and when I asked I understood that I was asking to be killed like a sacrificial animal - that I would not be coming back from that altar. Then, and only then, was I able to do more than merely hear the word but also go and do the word; however, I have to be clear that it is not I doing the word, but it is the Spirit of Christ living in me who is doing the word - it only feels like I am the one doing what is right - which is the really cool part because I experience the joy of living right even though it is Jesus who is doing all the work!

• 1 month later...

We are charge to be not only hearers of the word but doers as well. I can sit in a church pew and be involved in bible studies like this but unless I live my life for Christ as I am instructed in the word, in every aspect of my life then I am deceiving myself and others.

• 3 months later...

We are fooled by gettting complacent, You hear the words so much and you understand exactly what they mean and maybe we even try to follow them in our daily lifes and i'm sure some better than others, but as humans we forget and in an instant all is forgotton, we need to listen to the word and then do it as best we can other wise we are just hypocrites, all you can do is all you can do if you fall get back up again and press on, for there is only one perfect person and that is Jesus Christ all tha rest of us fall short of the glory of God. All we can do is try try try and if we fall get up and try again.

Self deception is when we believe we are something that we're not, in reality we're the complete opposite we lie to ourselves trying to cover up the truth. We need to be more honest with our selves or maybe just stop and take a look at our actions, like it says be quick to listen and slow to speak and slow to become angry in other words sit back and take it all in before reacting. Therefore we may be more likely to do the will of God.

• 1 month later...

THIS IS SOMETHING I HAVE BEEN PRAYING ABOUT AND ASKING GOD FOR WISDOM IN THIS AREA AS I SEE MANY FAMILY MEMBERS OF MINE CALLING THEMSELVES CHRISTIANS BUT NOT WANTING TO GIVE UP THEIR IMMORAL OR SINFUL LIFESTYLE.THEY GO TO CHURCH, LISTEN TO THE MESSAGES, SOME READ THE BIBLE , ETC, BUT ARE NOT REPENTING OF THEIR SINS AND SUBMITTING TO GOD. OF COURSE THEY'RE BEING DECEIVED AND I'M PRAYING THAT GOD WILL OPEN UP THEIR SPIRITUAL EYES AND EARS THAT THEY MAY SEE TRUTHS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE. AS FOR MYSELF, MY HEART'S CRY TO THE LORD HAS ALWAYS BEEN ASKING THE LORD TO SHOW ME ANY SIN OR DECEPTION IN MY HEART THAT I MIGHT REPENT OF IT AND WALK IN TRUTH FOR HIS GLORY.AND HE HAS BEEN FAITHFUL TO SHOW ME IN MANY AREAS. I GUESS MY FAMILY THINK THAT GOING TO CHURCH, LISTENIG TO BIBLE TEACHING,ETC, MAKES THEM HOLY BECAUSE THEY'RE FULFILLING THEIR RELIGIOUS DUTY TO GOD. BUT THEY DONT HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD; FOR MOST OF THEM CHRISTIANITY IS JUST A RELIGIOUS OBLIGATION.

• 1 month later...

Matt 25

What Dr. Wilson says about widows, orphans and aliens is the key. We think we can go to bible studies and sit in church and all is well. Show me faith, that is good I will show you faith through works. We need to quit worrying what the person in the next pew is thinking and get out there and feed the hungry, give water to the thirsty and visit the sick and imprisoned. The gospel was not spread by staying at the temple in Jerusalem and teaching. It was spread by getting out in the world and getting dirty. Church should be a place to get cleaned up and ready for the next round of battle.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that we think that by listening to the Word of God, that we will naturally live out or lives according to His Word. But the Bible tells in James 1:22 that we need to be doers of the Word, not just hears. We need to do the Word so that we learn to live that "righteous" life that the Bible talks about. It takes practice to get the Word active in our lives along with help from the Holy Spirit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How easily we can be fooled. We need to do more than just listening to the Word. We must sincerely absorb it. We must study and chew on it until it is part of us. Even when we don't feel like it, it is important to study the Word. We not only need to know the Word but to live it. When we have the Holy Spirit to speak to us about our actions and our lack of control of our tongue. It's our choice if we heed the prodding of the Holy Spirit or not. We are deceived by the evil one when we let our guard down. We all make mistakes in our thinking and actions. It is a growing experience. He's still working on us. I ask to make me more like Him and to quicken my heart when I let myself think that I, in myself, am righteous.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is the way we were taught from the start. When we were young as in children, our basics were to go to church sunday school learn of the scriptures then we moved up to youth groups but being teenagers we didn`t understand the meaning of living the word. We thought going to church and youth groups were living the word and rigthly so, but as we matured with the scriptures we soon realized that hearing the word and living the word were much more than what we thought . Satan hears the words of Christ but he does not obey them, or live by them, that is deception, the same could be for us if we only hear and not live them out. I always have said to read scripture is to fuel the Holy Spirit in me. I nead to read trust and act. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

In part, I believe that many people in the U.S. have been taught to departmentalize their lives. Going to church and listening fulfils the criteria established by a society. We are like folks who look in the mirror and turn away, FORGETTING that our might have needed to be fixed.

The nature of the self-deception seems to be revealed in Ephesians 21: " Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you."

We in a sense are not allowing the word to grow in us. As you lesson noted: 'We are to replace this moral evil with "the word planted in you" (NIV), "the engrafted word" (KJV) that is able to save your souls (psuchē ). This word "engrafted" is a compound word in Greek, emphutos, "implanted, engrafted," from en, "in, into" and phuteuō, "to plant." '

• 2 months later...

Several life events are telling me to follow the Christian love of my heart as to why I would do something. This increased love is something I need to exercise wisdom with. Keeping focused on daily work related tasks means applying the new knowledge of thee heart with diligence and wisdom, assessing what is going on, nmot over reacting and also asking "Christina elders" what they think about the situation/s

Just listening to the bible words is passive. One must be come active, and in a way that uses the wisdom of the Bible we read, or we'll be fooled by the world over and over again.

• 4 months later...

Our nature is such that if we read a book on dieting we feel like it is already done. Again the living in the physical realm seems to be apparent. It is necessary to absorb things into a spiritual level. Jesus talked about tickling the ear - it is the same. The token can represent the reality. It is the commitment that lets us live a righteous life. Self Deception comes through justifying - oh yes I have the 'reading the bible through in a year book therefore it is done.

:rolleyes: If it is out in the open in the physical realm, apparent to others we falsely think that it is real..So if we go out and buy 50 bibles that reveals to us and everyone that we are really into our bible studies. Self deception, to me is really connected to pride. Eve was deceived by the devil and herself - taking the deception into justification. It is always a shock to know that God sees all and although people might perceive your actions in a certain way - God knows and if you are self deceived God reveals. Blessings

I think hearing the word is so important, the Bible emphasizes the importance, and rightly so! Becuase of this emphasis its easy for us to think this is the full equation where as Jesus and so many others (like James) rightly point to the fact that it is only 1/2 of the equation! it is those who both hear and obey that Jesus likens to a wise man, where it is those who hear God's word but do not act on it that are likened to the foolish man who faces destruction. Joshua is encouaged to not let God's word (the law) depart from his mouth..."so that" he will be careful to "do" all that is commnded in it...then he would be propsperious and sucessful! I think Paul pointed to this in Romans 12...when our minds are renewed then are lives are transformed...belief must effect behavior...this is the nature of self deception...we often think belief alone is important...but as James says later demons give the truths of the Bible mental ascent...there is a diffrence between this menatl ascent and true conviction!

hearing alone gets a outward religious tick- it looks holy...we seem spiritual when we can quote scriptures...but as Jesus made clear to the Pharisees we can know what God's word says without ever hearing our Father's voice... hearing/reading is not enough...it look right but as James says if we dont let God's word effect our thoughts and actions we are deluded...ie we decieve ourselves ( James 1:22)

we must recieve the word humbly (James 1:21)I think this means we must let it change our lives and thoughts- we must bow to it!we must humble ourselves to its ideas and commands and promises

I think the key concept James is getting at is that there are many who know they know a lot about the Scripture- and feel that they are mature Christians because of that- James is warning them-that if they don

I think hearing the word is so important, the Bible emphasizes the importance, and rightly so! Becuase of this emphasis its easy for us to think this is the full equation where as Jesus and so many others (like James) rightly point to the fact that it is only 1/2 of the equation! it is those who both hear and obey that Jesus likens to a wise man, where it is those who hear God's word but do not act on it that are likened to the foolish man who faces destruction. Joshua is encouaged to not let God's word (the law) depart from his mouth..."so that" he will be careful to "do" all that is commnded in it...then he would be propsperious and sucessful! I think Paul pointed to this in Romans 12...when our minds are renewed then are lives are transformed...belief must effect behavior...this is the nature of self deception...we often think belief alone is important...but as James says later demons give the truths of the Bible mental ascent...there is a diffrence between this menatl ascent and true conviction!

hearing alone gets a outward religious tick- it looks holy...we seem spiritual when we can quote scriptures...but as Jesus made clear to the Pharisees we can know what God's word says without ever hearing our Father's voice... hearing/reading is not enough...it look right but as James says if we dont let God's word effect our thoughts and actions we are deluded...ie we decieve ourselves ( James 1:22)

we must recieve the word humbly (James 1:21)I think this means we must let it change our lives and thoughts- we must bow to it!we must humble ourselves to its ideas and commands and promises

I think the key concept James is getting at is that there are many who know they know a lot about the Scripture- and feel that they are mature Christians because of that- James is warning them-that if they don

well said I think the example of the dieting book is very true!

Our nature is such that if we read a book on dieting we feel like it is already done. Again the living in the physical realm seems to be apparent. It is necessary to absorb things into a spiritual level. Jesus talked about tickling the ear - it is the same. The token can represent the reality. It is the commitment that lets us live a righteous life. Self Deception comes through justifying - oh yes I have the 'reading the bible through in a year book therefore it is done.

Edited by davidjjj

The Bible has the keys to being set free. But if it is not applied than it is useless in changing us. I guess a measure of how effective our Bible studying is can be found in resulting changes to our behavior and attitudes. Are we being changed in our behavior and attitudes? If not, then maybe we are fooling ourselves!!!! Listening to God's word is important, but being changed and doing what God's word says is really important. Change comes out of discomfort. If we are comfortable in reading the Bible then maybe we are not hearing what it is saying!

We are taught to obtain knowledge and retain it from a young age,but we are not always taught how to use that knowledge in everyday life.So listening to bible teaching and retaining that knowledge is often percieved as completion of the task the Lord has set us,but only by applying the word to our lives does it become a living part of our lives,changing our very nature and habits and alining us with Gods plan for our lives.I agree with Parakaleo,if we are comfortable reading our bible,we are reading it as a novel or text book not as a life manual.

• 1 month later...

We are fooled because we do not grasp the concept that we have to be not only hearers of the Word but doers of it as well. The Bible has to become revelational knowledge to us so that we learn to walk out the principles in our daily life. The nature of self deception is thinking you are fine when in fact you are not; thinking that all that is required of us as Christians is a little word without living and doing what it says. Deception is a scheme of the devil in that he does not care how much word we have in us as long as we do not apply it to our lives we are living a christian lie. This Christian life is one that actively seeks the heart of God and out of the love for Him and His Word acts out the righteous life. Complacency is pure deception.

• 2 weeks later...

Its easier to just listen, but more difficult to put into practice. Takes a lot more will and effort. Some people seem to think it acceptable to only act like a Christian for an hour every Sunday. While spending the rest of the time talking the talk, but not walking it. It can be hard to admit our own faults, I think this is self-deception. To fool yourself into thinking your doing the right thing. Listening to the Word is only the first step. The Word needs to be put into practice every day.