JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Favoritism makes one a judge by us making the decision whom we think is important and should have our utmost attention and who is not. Because we treat the rich or well dressed people with more respect it is because we think that we need to be associated with them and in somehow it will make us important or in some way to our benefit or advantage. Our evil thoughts are that we in the first place take it upon ourselves to judge people who are strangers on their appearance or what we may know of their status. And then we are judging, not with the right rules but with rules that could help us, not righteous rules that we look on a person's moral character or someother basis rather than what they look like or what they have or do not have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge? How does favoritism make one a judge with "evil thoughts"?

I have 3 children, if I say I love my youngest the most, I am judging that my other 2 are not as lovable. Maybe I don't say I love her most, maybe my actions just show it by allowing her to be first all the time or to do things the others don't get to do. Again, I am judging by my actions that my youngest is better than the other 2.

If I am judging one child is better than the others, it is evil on my part because I am hurting my other 2 children by thinking this way. I am possibly causing my other 2 children to believe there is something wrong with them (when it is really me). I am also likely to cause ill feelings in the older ones toward the younger ones.

Example: How did Joseph's brothers feel about him knowing that Jacob their father loved Joseph the most? It caused evil thoughts.

• 5 months later...

Favoritism makes us a judge because our discrimination causes us to choose who hears and who does not hear the healing message of the Gospel. Our prejudices create feelings and judgments against others based on stereotypes rather than God’s mercy and grace. We forget who we were before we came to a saving relationship with Christ.

Q2. (2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge? How does favoritism make one a judge with "evil thoughts"?

I have 3 children, if I say I love my youngest the most, I am judging that my other 2 are not as lovable. Maybe I don't say I love her most, maybe my actions just show it by allowing her to be first all the time or to do things the others don't get to do. Again, I am judging by my actions that my youngest is better than the other 2.

If I am judging one child is better than the others, it is evil on my part because I am hurting my other 2 children by thinking this way. I am possibly causing my other 2 children to believe there is something wrong with them (when it is really me). I am also likely to cause ill feelings in the older ones toward the younger ones.

Example: How did Joseph's brothers feel about him knowing that Jacob their father loved Joseph the most? It caused evil thoughts.

I really like your practical example of favoritism. Thanks for expressing it so clearly.

• 2 months later...

The way that favoritism makes one judge is that you have already decided that the one that you are pouring your favors on is one that is going to like you and accept you into their fold.

The way that favoritism makes one a judge with “evil thoughts” is you are always hoping or wondering if that person might give you some kind of reward for the favor that you poured out to them.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge?

By paying more attention to a particular group of people in the church and letting other groups of people slide we are judging the favored ones more deserving of our time and energy . . . and our love . . . than the ones we just give lip service to. We think they're more important to our agenda and try to get God to think the same way sometimes.

How does favoritism make one a judge with evil thoughts?

By showing favoritism we deny them access to God's love to an extent. God has chosen to work through the church and if we stifle His grace and mercy by favoring some over others we're hurting the body of Christ. Such thinking . . . that some should be favored over others . . . is contrary to God's purpose and therefore evil in His eyes.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge? How does favoritism make one a judge with �evil thoughts�?

Personal favoritism in any category divides other people into economic, social, personality types, etc. thus causing me to judge people on those criteria.  In doing so, I cannot minister to and bless all of those who God brings my way because of my built-in biases.  God instructs us to love all people without any criteria.   As Christians we are called to be open to all.  We are also called into unity as the body of Christ.  We are one in Christ.  If I don't see that then the love of Jesus is not in me.  That begs the question am I really a follower of Christ?  Or just an opportunist?

Favoritism steers me to associate with only those who will benefit me at the expense of those in some kind of need.  This is selfishness and is sin.   The evil of it all is that I will sacrifice those in need to those who will meet my needs.  Again selfishness.

Q2. (2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge? How does favoritism make one a judge with �evil thoughts�?

Personal favoritism in any category divides other people into economic, social, personality types, etc. thus causing me to judge people on those criteria.  In doing so, I cannot minister to and bless all of those who God brings my way because of my built-in biases.  God instructs us to love all people without any criteria.   As Christians we are called to be open to all.  We are also called into unity as the body of Christ.  We are one in Christ.  If I don't see that then the love of Jesus is not in me.  That begs the question am I really a follower of Christ?  Or just an opportunist?

Favoritism steers me to associate with only those who will benefit me at the expense of those in some kind of need.  This is selfishness and is sin. The evil of it all is that I will sacrifice those in need to those who will meet my needs.  Again selfishness.

• 1 year later...

If one pays more attention to a certain group of people in the community and neglects the others that is a sign of favoritism. That in itself says some people are more important than others, which is against the Word of God.

By mere neglecting the others means one does not find them useful. But the word of God says we all form one body and each part of this body has its own vital work to perform.

• 10 months later...

When playing favorites with people, we are being judges. This favoritism is our selfish way of trying to make ourselves liked. Because of this we have become a judge between the rich, the well liked and the poor, because of our favoritism we have now set ourselves up as judge and committed a grievous sin.

Favoritism not only makes us judges, but it leads us to evil thoughts. How can we over come the others to make an impression? Thus we may hate others who are favored more than we are. Favoritism leads us to be judges, to be bias and discriminatory.     

• 1 year later...

I have realized I do judge the people who can walk, I believe they are taking for granted the things they can do, especially when they aren’t considering the handicap, including my family who drops or sets things in the floor, hallways, doorways then get mad at me for running over them or laughs when I can’t move around them. It is hard not to have “evil thoughts” toward them or feel selfish and want special treatment, but some people never learn. But no favoritism is found in God, maybe that is my real issue. I want to be treated special and that is a sin for the children of God. Selfishness is looking to our own needs rather than others. We must learn to depend on God to judge the unrighteousness, His judgment is slow, but it will come. God is gracious, loving, and merciful, not wanting anyone to perish. He forgives people I would not forgive. When it seems that no freedom will be found, serve the true God and you will find peace just around the corner.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q10. Judging
  • 1 month later...

This is a topic which I've put some thought into because the desire to be with people with whom I feel comfortable, just to talk and share, has not been met in church. I've wondered, then, about the need to desire to worship with people with whom we have experiences or outlook in common. For example, women and men often study the bible in different groups, segregated by gender. We separate by age. And, in many way, churches appeal to a subset or class of society that's remarkably homogeneous. It grieves me to think that what we share in Him may not be enough to form strong bonds with each other, but perhaps we're not all feet or hands or toenails in His body, and perhaps a foot feels more comfortable with another foot, for example. 

It's not about feelings, but in a way, it is. It's that intuitive sense that one belongs and is comfortable in one place, and not another. "Church shopping" is looking for that place.

Rather than repeat myself, here's what I wrote last week: https://kristenburroughs.com/?p=4068

This is a huge, unsettled topic for me. The bottom line is this: I'm not sure that God calls all Christians to "church" as it's currently practiced or done. 

Q10. (2:4) 
In what way does favouritism make one a judge? 
How does favouritism make one a judge with "evil thoughts"?
Instead of accepting people on the basis of their faith in Christ, we show favouritism based on their appearance and status. I think we are, to a certain extent, all guilty of this. We judge and treat people according to their outward appearances. We don’t honour Jesus Christ by our actions; instead, we pay respect to a rich man and despise a poor man. Poverty makes us uncomfortable, but we honour worldly greatness. It is an evil thought to judge people this way; our thoughts can never be impartial. It is a sin of discrimination as our hearts are filled with evil thoughts; either selfishness or the love of money, and we definitely have an ulterior motive in mind. Within the context of the Christian faith, practicing discrimination is the exact opposite of loving one's neighbour as oneself. We must remember that God puts the greatest glory on those who are the least in this world. 

Q10. (James 2:4)

In what way does favoritism make one a judge?

How does favoritism make one a judge with "evil thoughts"?

Showing favoritism leads those not in that circle to think they are worthless, or not wanted.  So it seems like they are being judged.  Like they are not good enough to be used or needed for anything.  (I have lived in that category for a long time. I am very easily excluded, or feel myself not good enough and force myself into the shadows for fear of getting included into something I cannot handle or cope with.) 
Showing favoritism can make one have prejudice towards others that are not included in that circle, or put differently can make one a judge with 'evil thought' towards them.

This way of thinking can also easily come to those being excluded from the "in-crowd".  We can easily judge them for excluding us. Sometimes it happens unintentionally. 

(James 2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge?

Favoritism make one a judge when we prejudge the poor and the elderly and the divorced.

How does favoritism make one a judge with “evil thoughts”?

We sin because We judge with 'evil thoughts" because we look to our own needs and not to theirs.

Q10. (James 2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge? My favoritism of the Joyful Heart Bible study makes me a judge through my predetermining that my personal needs to grow spiritually and get closer to God freely but qualitatively are best met through this Ministry. How does favoritism make one a judge with "evil thoughts"? When I was a bachelor, I used to be good at judging which pretty girl would be a good candidate as my one night stand companion.

On 12/17/2004 at 9:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q10. (James 2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge? How does favoritism make one a judge with “evil thoughts”?

by putting someone wearing a gold ring and fine clothing in a better place than the one who appears poor. it makes one a judge with evil thoughts because by good appearance we also think that person has the good heart or is made out to be a good person who needs to be honored.

Q10. Favouritism makes one a judge because we think one person is more deserving of our attention more than another. Unfortunately our motives are not usually sparked by the needs of the people involved but by our own selfish desires. The person I favour is more useful to me or to the church than the other person. Our thoughts are therefore not pure and honest but our actions are being motivated by our evil thoughts and desires. We should also remember the most humble and pure attitudes of Jesus. He treated everyone exactly the same and we should do likewise.

. (James 2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge? How does favoritism make one a judge with "evil thoughts"?

I think favoritism makes one a judge because it makes us pre-determine/concludes the gain we stand to make on the one we favour.

In the case of someone that is poor, we shun them because we think of what we have to give them. In this case, our judgment is with evil thoughts, I think.

On 12/17/2004 at 2:54 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q10. (James 2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge? How does favoritism make one a judge with “evil thoughts”?

We need to spread ourselves out and not have favorites - welcoming and getting to know everybody.

The person you are judging, you really need to get to know.  You might change your opinion.  To know someone is to love them.  They are probably going through the same thing you are.

• 1 month later...

Favoritism makes on a judge because he has judged one person over another. Favoritism could make one a judge with “evil thought” is he doing it for evil reasons. When I favor one child over another I don’t do it for evil thoughts. It is that they please me more. I’m not saying it is right it is just what it is.

• 1 year later...