JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

1. Whenever we "favor" a person over another, we are saying one is better than the other.

There was a big business man came to Sunday morning service at our church and one of the deacons asked me to watch what I preached on because that guy had lots of money. When God is using you, you can't help but preach the Word.... Big guy or Little guy. God is over all.

2. Some people in the church try to make a good impression on the do-gooders and wealthy.

I must confess, for some reason, I don't often spend much time on the wealthy. I've had them to try to influence my leadership as a pastor.

Boy, This has been a good study so far. It sure makes you stop and search your being before giving an answer.... As a pastor, I like that.. This is challenging....

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favouritism makes us a judge in that it makes us assume a role where we can treat one person better than another. The most evil thing about it for me is that the other person who has not been favoured may get discouraged and may even leave the lord.That would mean my act of favouritism hascaused someone to depart from the faith. It canb work the other way in that the person we favour who is not leaving right will get a false sense of security and carry on leaving a life that is not pleasing to the lord.

You shun those who do not fit the mold you have in your mind of how things should be. If someone does not act or look like we think they slould we tend to not want to have contact with them, Christ wants us to look at them through the blood and see the saint not the sinner.

It makes you judgemental because you do this with a critical heart, not a compassionate heart, Come unto me all that are heavy laiden and I will give you rest ""ALL"": not some.

Q2. (2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge? How does

favoritism make one a judge with "evil thoughts"?

Our pride makes us judge. Favoritism is never a good thing. When you start thinking of a person or group of person as being better than others. Any time you turn yourself away from a certion person or group of people you are judging them. We need to love them the way Jesus loves them.

Makes me sad to see how we react to differnt people. :(

You are judging one over the other by showing more respect to usually the one with more. By favouring one you are putting 'down' on the other. You trea the one you less consider, harder

in many ways ~ less respect, expect more of them or from them, scorn them. Nothing they do can be right. This problem in a family situation is one that I struggle with constantly, not favouritism, but the lack of respect or abuse a child (an adult) has towards the father of the family. I ask god's help to help me cope with the situation . I need guidance . It hurts.

You are judging one person against another by showing more respect to usually the one with more. By favouring one you put down on the other. You treat the one less favoured with harder words, scorn,less respect, igorning them, etc. Nothing they do is right. So often this is also founds in families.

Often the less favoured is the one who will 'shine' in the end. How often we think we are so much above others.

Please God grant me humility to treat all persons as I would wish to be treated . Amen.

In what way does favoritism make one a judge?

Esteeming one above another, making one feel lower than he already feels, choosing things over spiritaul.

How does favoritism make one a judge with "evil thoughts'?

My wishing someone wouldn"t show up or go somewhere else or just stay away.

Richard S.

Because of favouritism, we select one person or one group over another. In that sense, choosing the one presupposes a judgment. Favouritism makes one a judge with evil thoughts because one always looks to benefit from it. It is self serving, unkind, certainly not in keeping with Jesus

Q2. (2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge? How does favoritism make one a judge with

• 2 weeks later...

We are not worthy to be judges for each other, as we are all sinners. There's no one who can judge us apart from the Righteous One.

If we tend to be partial , we have an inner motive for favoring that person. That somehow, you are expecting something in return. This is totally in contrast with what God is teaching us to serve others without expecting anything in return.

When we show favoritism toward a particular group,we prove that our actions are selfish and self-serving. In effect, you are judging people,esteeming one group as better than others.

Favoritism makes one a judge with evil thoughts,because most of the time we show partiality towards someone with the idea of using them or getting something from them.

Favoritism is a self gratifying action. When we favor someone because he/she is popular or wealthy we are doing it for our own selfish needs and wants, which are not Godly. We want to be on the good side of them and be accepted and not ridiculed, so we think.

When we ignore the unpopular and poor we think that we are better than they or that others would look down on us.

We are making judging on one group of people against another.

Favoritism makes us a judge because we are deciding who is more important, having status and wealth. Brings evil thoughts to mind because not showing or having mercy, love, and humility for the other person or people.

Q2. (2:4) In what way does favoritism make one a judge? How does favoritism make one a judge with "evil thoughts"?

It all boils down to being led by the flesh rather than the spirit. It is the poor, elderly, homosexual, alcoholic, sex offender, prostitute, addict, and all the other kind of people that may make us uncomfortable that are the lost and stolen vessels for the darkness, and in need of the salvation of Christ. Because we see them how the darkness has burdened them, rather than believing in the power of our Lord to change them and set them free. How could we turn them away because of a calloused self righteous heart and call ourselves believers? Were our own sins not so ugly?

It's not easy, but I think if we stay in prayer regularly, we will remain humble at the feet of our saviour, and He will lead us by his love to see what the ugly people in this world really are---hopeless and lost without Him, just as each of us was also before we knew Him.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I BELIEVE THAT WHEN I SHOW FAVORITISM I'M JUDGING PEOPLE ACCORDING TO MY OWN STANDARDS THAT I HAVE SET FOR THEM. IN OTHER WORDS I'M PLAYING GOD, I'M WALKING AFTER THE FLESH AND I'M NOT CONSIDERING WHAT GOD HAS TO SAY ABOUT PEOPLE. I'M NOT LOOKING AT PEOPLE EQUALLY AND SHOWING LOVE AND KINDNESS TO ALL; JUST SOME. I NEED TO CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF THAT HE DIED FOR US ALL.THIS IS AN AREA I NEED TO CONSTANTLY TAKE BEFORE THE LORD. I DO DESIRE TO WALK IN LOVE TOWARD ALL PEOPLE DESPITE THEIR BACKGROUND BUT I'VE ONLY BEEN ABLE TO DO SO IN THE PAST WITH THE HELP OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.

FAVORITISM MAKES ME A JUDGE WITH EVIL THOUGHTS BECAUSE I'M BEING SELFISH AND SELF- RIGHTEOUS , LIKE THE PHARISEES. I'M BEING HYPOCRITICAL WHEN I LOVE FELLOWSHIPPING WITH THE RICH AND SCORN THE POOR.I'M BEING RELIGIOUS BECAUSE I WANT PEOPLE TO FOLLOW MY SET OF RULES AND NOT WALK IN GOD'S RIGHTEOUSNESS.I'M REALLY JUST WALKING IN THE FLESH WHICH STINKS ACCORDING TO GOD'S WORD.NO WONDER PAUL THE APOSTLE SAID WE MUST DIE DAILY; CRUCIFY THE FLESH DAILY....HELP ME LORD JESUS......GOD BLESS.....

P.S. A VERY TINY PART OF MY ANSWER CAME FROM AN ARTICLE SENT TO ME ON" GODSHIP".

• 1 month later...

We can be tempted to judge on the outward appearance, face value, i.e. is someone rich or poor. Then we can be tempted to make decisions about people on their ability to help us back, or our Church. So we pander to the rich man because of his wealth or influence.

• 3 weeks later...

Favoritism, as was stated, is the act of being partial. Who decides who is to be treated in what way....we do in our own eyes. We then become judges at that point and act as if we are God. The only one worthy to decide who gets the best treatment is God and His ways don't always mesh with ours (due to our selfish natures). It is only when we get familiar with "our Lord" that we realize how we must treat others....with respect, dignity and honor. Others may not merit that in our eyes but they are creations of God and need to at least be given a chance. Life on earth is but a mere testing of our love for God...how we treat others, how we live in His love, how we treat His creation.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2 ( 2:4 ) In what way does favoritism make one a judge ?

How does favoritism make one a judge with " evil thoughts "?

When you show favoritism to one person you are already saying that this person is better than the rest.

The only one who can decide between people is Jesus, and it say's in His word that we are all equal in His sight.

We are to be careful not to judge on the outward appearance, as it is the heart of man and women that God looks at, and we are greated in His image, so must do what He would do.

THANK YOU JESUS FOR KEEPING US ON THE STRAIGHT PATH, AMEN. :lol:

• 6 months later...