JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q12. Mercy Triumphs

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I THINK THAT WHEN I SHOW PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT TO THE RICH I'M ACTING AS JUDGE WITH EVIL MOTIVES .I'M EXTENDING FAVOR TO THEM BECAUSE OF THEIR POSSESSIONS WHILE AT THE SAME TIME IGNORING THE POOR BECAUSE OF THEIR STATUS.GOD IS COMPASSIONATE TO ALL; HE'S GRACIOUS AND FORGIVING TO ALL.WHEN I DISCRIMINATE, I'M BEING JUDGEMENTAL FROM AN UNCOMPASSIONATE HEART.I'M NOT EXTENDING MERCY TO THE RICH OR POOR WHEN I ACT LIKE THIS...I'M ACTUALLY BEING SELFISH AND DENYING MERCY TO ALL INVOLVED.THE LORD IS MORE INTERESTED IN ME HAVING A LOYAL HEART THAN A PREJUDICED ONE.THE LORD IS MORE CONCERNED WITH THE STATE OF THE HEART THAN WEALTH OR RICHES.

I THINK THE CROSS IS AN EXAMPLE OF MERCY TRIUMPHING OVER JUDGEMENT.CHRIST SHOWED MERCY TO ME ON THE CROSS BY ATONING FOR MY SINS ,THUS I MUST ALSO EXTEND MERCY TOWARD OTHERS EVEN IF THEY DONT DESERVE IT. I MUST BE COMPASSIONATE INSTEAD OF JUDGEMENTAL BECAUSE IF I DONT SHOW MERCY I WONT RECEIVE MERCY. JESUS SAID THAT HE DESIRES COMPASSION, NOT SACRIFICE.I BELIEVE THIS MEANS THAT NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE GIVE OF OUR TIME, MONEY AND OF OURSELVES, IF THERE'S NO COMPASSION IN THE HEART IT'S MEANINGLESS.IT'S JUST A BUNCH OF RELIGIOUS PRACTICES.HE DELIGHTS IN MERCY; I BELIEVE HE DELIGHTS IN US AS WELL WHEN WE EXTEND MERCY.I AM TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON HIS MERCY DAILY......GOD BLESS.

• 1 month later...

The wealthy often do not feel that they are in need of god's mercy. We add to their belief if we treat them well just because of their wealth or status. Mercy triumphs over judgement in that if we show mercy it will be given to.

• 2 weeks later...

Who needs to be granted mercy? It is usually the down-trodden and neglected folks. There are rich in need to but I believe all must be granted mercy. The rich have their treasure but the poor are in need. We must relate to that since we were once lost too.

Hosea 6:6 - It is a matter of where our heart is (an act of mercy) and not in obeying the law according to our standard.

Matthew 5:7 - We will be shown mercy when we show it and in the reverse will be judged according to how we judge.

Matthew 9:13 - The sinners need saving not those that "know it all"

God did the unexpected. He showed us mercy when we deserved punishment for our sins. He granted us what was not expected. He gave us a wonderful gift through His Son. Our judgement was forgiven and we can rejoice in this.

• 3 weeks later...

The wealthy often don't relize that they are in need of mercy, but they more than anyone sometimes are in more need of mercy, because they think they can buy there way into the Kingdom of God and if we favour them more because of there money then we need just as much mercy :o

THANKYOU JESUS FOR YOUR MERCY, PLEASE HELP ME TO BE MORE MERCIFUL. AMEN :wub:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In what way is showing regard towards the wealthy a denial of mercy?

When we present ourselves to the wealthy with favoritism we are denying the Mercy of God through Jesus Christ that should be shown through us to everyone which makes us a sinner.

Bonus Question:

In what way does mercy "triump over" or "rejoice against" judgement? What does this mean?

We are to show everyone we see the Love of God, just as Christ has shown us. When we do this we will also receive mercy. Just helping someone out without the love of Christ in you is not showing Mercy. Christ gave His life for us so that we could learn how to love others no matter what their differences are.

• 4 weeks later...

Basic part of mercy is kindness and by disregarding a poorer person in preference to a rich one is down right mean spirited.

Mercy triumphs over judgement as mercy is forgiveness, being able to display meekness and maintaining a relationship without hard feelings or animosity. Thank you for being a merciful God, full of grace and kindness!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1) When we favor the wealthy person and not favor the poor then we are showing no mercy. This is a sin. We need to reach to the wealthy, but the poor especially need our mercies. When we show mercy, then God will show us mercy. God is a great and merciful God. We should not judge the poor because of how they look or dress. We need to be kind and caring to them and show them compassion.

Extra Credit:

God blesses those who show mercy. God wants us to be merciful (to all) believers and sinners. God does not want our sacrifices. God wants us to know HIM. He wants us to be like HIM. As Christians, we should "rejoice" in God's tender mercies.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (2:13b) In what way is showing regard towards the wealthy (2:2-3) a denial of mercy?

It is a denial of mercy because it is based on prejudice, on being judmental.

Extra credit: Read Hosea 6:6; Matthew 5:7; and 9:13. In what way does mercy “triumph over” (NIV, RSV, NASB) or “rejoice against” (KJV) judgment?

Mercy "triumph over" judgment because God favors it over sacrifice and grants more mercy to those who show mercy.

What does this mean?

It means that God highly favors the merciful and we should seek to show more mercy and not be judmental.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Q4. (2:13b) In what way is showing regard towards the wealthy (2:2-3) a denial of mercy? Extra credit: Read Hosea 6:6; Matthew 5:7; and 9:13.

Mercy(Gr.eleos) is defined in a book by Susan.J. Heck as outward manifestation of pity and compassion in kindly action towards the misery of others..It is clear from this that the rich who have it all doesnt need the act of mercy and also when we show regard to them we actually deny the mercy towards the poor who need that.

The character of the redeemer is said in Mathew to be merciful to those who show mercy..And it is also said in Hosea and Mathew that rather than sacrifices to please God, He wants us to be merciful...

In what way does mercy

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Q4. (2:13b)

In what way is showing regard towards the wealthy (2:2-3) a denial of mercy?

Extra credit: Read Hosea 6:6; Matthew 5:7; and 9:13. In what way does mercy "triumph over" (NIV, RSV, and NASB) or "rejoice against" (KJV) judgment?

What does this mean?

The general idea seems to be that if we show mercy to others, the judgment which might otherwise fall on us will be replaced by mercy. We cater to the rich only because we hope to gain something either socially or materially, in other words with evil intentions; thereby denying the mercy our Lord might show us. God showed mercy in sparing us from the judgment which our sins deserved and in demonstrating kindness to us through the saving work of Christ. We imitate God when we show compassion to others.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Q4. (2:13b) In what way is showing regard towards the wealthy (2:2-3) a denial of mercy? Extra credit: Read Hosea 6:6; Matthew 5:7; and 9:13. In what way does mercy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Showing regards to the wealthy ones, is really not showing mercy to them but hope to receive good treatment from them in return. If this is our primary attitude, we will certainly ignore the mercy for the poor. There are leaders in the church that delight to give favoritism to the wealthy ones in hope they will give better offering or opportunities to their families.

When we regard the poor, we learn to have mercy to those who are lack of concern of their needs. Showing mercy to the poor is knowing the very desire of the heart of God, that is to say we are getting to know God is Mercy. Yet on earth when we are merciful to the poor we are pleasing God's heart and He too will show mercy to us. In time of judgement, we rejoice against it because we will be blessed by His mercy on our mercy to others. This is the triumphant that bypass the judgement when we continue to give mercy to the poor. Moreover the poors belong to God.

• 1 month later...