JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community? How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

We are responsibile for the poor and needy in the church community and those outside the church in the community at large because it is our Christian duty to love them and in loving them we extend to them a hand. We cannot say that we trust in God and believe that He will provide if we stand by and be indifferent to the plight of the poor and needy. Our faith must be activated by our love for God and his omnipotent power to move mountains on our behalf.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John writes in 1 John 3:16-19: "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence."

As those who claim to be followers of Jesus Christ who taught that it is more blessed to give than receive, do until others as you would want them to do until to you, and to love your neighbor as yourself, we canot ignore the poor and needy both within and without the walls of the church. We cannot do enough to express the love of God to the world.

Christians are responsible for, and called to impact the world on a spiritual and physical level now for Jesus Christ!!!!!!!!

Acts of love, mercy and kindness in the name of Jesus Christ go a long way in building fellowship among the believers and presenting the gospel to the world.

• 4 months later...
Q2. (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community? How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

We are responsible to our brothers and sisters in Christ - they are family. It is a challenge to us to seek God and be prepared to obey Him in what He wants us to do. If we come from a local church which is middle class and well off then we need to be looking further afield to our community and out to our brothers and sisters abroad. Did you know that in the 20th Century there were more Christian martyrs than the whole of the 1899 years before? (see www.csw.org.uk) What are we doing to stop this? Those suffering persecution can often feel forgotten and unimportant to the wider Christian world. We can help by sending letters of support, writing to our government and to their politicians can have a big impact.

Outside the church it is important to find out what help people not only need but want. In the UK where there is a strong governmental Social Services, sometimes it is useful to speak to them locally and find out if the church can offer provision which is outside their remit, but is a service which is needed. E.g. mother and toddler groups, parenting classes, clubs for the elderly, youth work, prison and hospital visiting, Alpha courses.

Individually we should be aware of the needs of those individuals around us and be a listening ear, helping out when we feel it appropriate.

We are Christ's body on earth.

• 3 weeks later...

We are responsible to the poor and needy within the church because they are our brothers and sisters in Christ. We are all family and family should have a strong bond, stepping in and helping each other. We are commanded, not given a choice as to whether to help the poor or not.

We are to help those outside the church as well because our faith and actions will be judged mby them. Faith...no action...they will not want to be a part of us. When we do things for them, God blesses them and in turn we are blessed.

We are responsible to the poor and needy within the church because they are our brothers and sisters in Christ. We are all family and family should have a strong bond, stepping in and helping each other. We are commanded, not given a choice as to whether to help the poor or not.

We are to help those outside the church as well because our faith and actions will be judged mby them. Faith...no action...they will not want to be a part of us. When we do things for them, God blesses them and in turn we are blessed.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community?

I think we are fully responsible for the poor and needy in the church community..God commanded us to Love the neighbour as ourselves and that entails us to provide for the needs of our brothers both in family as well as in faith..And when we fail to do that to our best ability the condition gets worse and does not get resolved..So we have to take up the full responsibility of this and also of not showing to others even a part of the Love that Jesus showed us on calvary.

How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

Man is a social being and God did create him that way.So we are not only answerable to God in not looking after the needy in church but also the community in large..We are to care for all equally and if we show partiality in caring, I guess, we are going to be severely judged for that too..James mentions this point clearly in the book about the consequences of showing partiality.

• 1 month later...

1) The poor and needy in our church community have in them the strength of faith and extremely valuable and necessary portions of the Lord's glorious inheritance. We who are not poor and needy are blessed to be able to support them financially so that we may share in their spiritual wealth. Failure to do so comes from judging with evil motives and will bring judgement upon ourselves from the Lord, which is very uncomfortable both spiritually and physically (see 1Cor 11:24-34; James 1:27;2:1-12)

2) Relative to non-believers who are poor, we should care for them as well. For Jesus miraculously fed those who were not interested in eating his words (John 6) and "the Lord causes the rain to fall on the righteous and the unrighteous alike."

• 3 months later...

We are responsible certainly for those of the household of faith but it extends to all mankind. How can we love God whom we have not seen and have no love for our fellowman? We will surely face our neglect of the poor when we face God. We are indeed our brothers keepers. If Christians would truly practice this a lot of hurt and the hyprocrisy labeled at the church would go away.

• 3 months later...

WE ARE RESPONSIBLE TO HELP THE POOR AND NEEDY IN OUR CHURCH COMMUNITY TO THE EXTENT THAT THE LORD HAS BLESSED US WITH THE MEANS TO DO SO.WHETHER IT'S FINANCIALLY, OR GIVING SOME FOOD OR CLOTHING, WE ARE BEING MOST LIKE JESUS WHEN WE GIVE TO THE POOR AND HELP THE NEEDY INSTEAD OF LOOKING DOWN AT THEM.EVEN THOSE OUTSIDE OUR CHURCHES ARE HURTING AND IN NEED , AND MANY ARE DESPERATE FOR LOVE AND NEED HOPE TO SURVIVE ANOTHER DAY.I'VE ALWAYS TRIED TO HELP BOTH THOSE IN CHURCH AS WELL AS THOSE OUTSIDE WHEN I'M ABLE TO DO SO.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (2:15-16)

To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community?

How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

I believe charity begins at home. We, however, have a responsibility to others in need. If we have enough resources, we should then extend our help to do good to our fellow Christians. This should also be extended outside our church to the community at large; but then only if we firstly do not harm our own family and secondly neglect our brothers and sisters.

• 2 months later...

We are to take care of the poor and needy in the church community. We are also to reach out to those that are not part of the church community. This is showing God's love to all that need help. God loves the cheerful giver. God uses His people to touch the lives of those that are in need. His love must flow through us so we can pass that love on to others.

They should be at the top of the list. Deut. 15 vs 11 tells us that the poor will never seize so open our hand and give. In Matt. 19 vs 21 Jesus tells us to sell all that we have and give it to the poor.Thru out the bible there are many vs that guide us on this, this is true faith and works in action. It is very important to look after all that need looking after whether in the church community or outside the church.What great satifaction you get when you do this, not that you are looking for satifaction but you feel the spirit move inside you! Praise the Lord for His works! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Jame gives an example of how our faith must be evident through actions. He indicates that someone is without clothes and hungry. If we send them away with just good wishes and don't do anything for them, James asks, then what good is that. It is any good. It is DEAD.

• 1 month later...

God will call to our hear regardinng the poor and we must be ready to hear His call. These people can be anywhere near or far. When He calls we must obey His commands. Praise God!

• 3 months later...

I think that we are responsible for helping the poor and needy. I know for myself that I don't do nearly enough. I live in a very small town so I don't see a lot of poor people but I try to give when I hear of a problem and not just in the church community. I don't think that it's all about the 'church community'. He said to love, He didn't specify only church people.

We have a big responsibility to love everyone, assisting people who ever they are, in or outside the church, as He enables us to do so. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community?

We are commanded to love one another to show we are christ's disciples. God is the God of the poor also. Our giving to the poor and needy is the token of our love to God.

As I have written, God is also the God of the needy and the poor, so being godly nation we will take responsibility for those outside the church that is the community at large. Hence we obey God's word to be workmanship of good deeds.

• 4 weeks later...

:rolleyes: I think that the good samaratin question - 'Who is your neighbour?' covers this question. A prayer will either open or close the door to any response to the poor and needy. The response in love and grace as opposed to response in guilt and obligation is often found in the whispered prayer - 'Father show me what to do?'

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=64&t=284

The Scripture encourages us (in many places OT and NT) to look after those in need. I think one of the key things is knowledge and proximity. James example shows us brothers and sisters whose needs we are aware of

• 11 months later...

Answer:

1.Our responsibility,is to take care of them,as the Lord has prompted us,or leading us:THE MOTIVATION SHOULD NO OTHER THAN LOVE THOUGH:

1 Corinthians 13:2- And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing

There will always be poor,in our Church community,as there will always be rich..Our responsibility,is to help in what ever we can contribute,to let them feel that Christ is dwelling in our midst..

2. How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

They are the people,whom God is referring as the World.They are lost,and need someone,somebody to show them the way..We should be sensitive to the prompting of the Holy Spirit,of whom to share the Gospel,the Good News about the finished Work of Jesus in the Cross..the Salvation that is available to everybody..

Thse are the people that JESUS has said to reach out..and PREACH AMONG THE NATIONS..they are the Nation

We ae responsible for the needy in the church and community. We are the hands and feet of Jesus. we are supposed to be an example of His love. Jesus never turned anyone away.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We are responsible for helping anyone who comes into our association that we are able to help. Sure it starts with those in our church community just as it should start with your immediate family members. 1 Tim 5:8 says "But those who won’t care for their relatives, especially those in their own household, have denied the true faith. Such people are worse than unbelievers." But we are our brother's keepers. If God blesses us abundantly, He blesses us to bless others. God did not give to us just so that we can hoard for ourselves. If we are not to show partially and show love, we help anyone that we can. James 1:26 says...."Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress..."

• 5 months later...

Pure religion (James 1:27) is to care for orphans and widows in their distress. As the body of Christ, we have a responsibility to reach those in need with the love of Jesus. We are to be His hands and feet to meet the needs of the poor in the church first, out of the church next, and in the community as well. To some extent, the church has increasingly abandoned this responsibility to government welfare programs. I don’t believe this is what Jesus had in mind when He encouraged us to “give to the poor.”

• 2 months later...

The degree that we are responsible for the poor and needy in the church community is to help them where we can. They should be our first concern. Then we should also look after those in the community at large but our first concern should be the members of the church.

• 6 months later...

(2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and

needy in the church community? How about our responsibility for

those outside the church, in the community at large?

We are responsible to provide for the needs of our brothers and sisters in the Church, unless they are not willing to work (II Thess. 3:10)

We are also called to minister to the needy outside of the Church. Consider the story of the Good Samaritan. In this Jesus teaches us to help and care for our neighbour. And who is our neighbour? Anyone that God brings to cross our paths.