JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

I think that first and foremost we are responsible for helping the poor and needy in our church community. And "poor and needy" can take many forms, not limited to financial needs. We can invite someone out for coffee and listen to their problems. We can provide classes to teach parenting, cooking on a budget, etc.

And these should not be restricted to those within the church. What an opportunity to reach the poor and needy in our communities with God's love by giving them practical help. And when they ask, "Why are you giving up your time to do this?" we can share our faith with them and let them know that God loves them, too.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the early church, they all pooled their resources and took care of one another, like in a large family. Likewise, if we do keep the royal law and love each other as Jesus has loved us, we would certainly have mercy and be helpful. To that extent, of keeping our love and faith active, we are responsible to those who are in need, certainly those within our reach- in our church community and the local community.

As followers of Jesus, we have to show the compassion he had for the needy and take as much responsibility as possible. The world and followers of other religions, today also give, are charitable. Jesus constantly kept giving of Himself, to all of humanity; as His brothers and sisters, I believe we should aim for nothing less.

Q2. (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and

needy in the church community? How about our responsibility for

those outside the church, in the community at large?

I think when we do things for the people in our church that have needs it shows our love for them. When we are so blessed we should bless others by helping them where they need it.

When we help someone out side of our church it shows them the love of Jesus. Its a great way to be able to witness to them about Jesus. We are the only bible some people see. Its a way to show them the love of Jesus by caring for their needs. :rolleyes:

Q2. (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community? How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

Even as far back as Cain and Able we know that we are our brothers keeper. God ask Cain about Able and God already knew that Cain had killed him. The ground cried out that his blood was there. We know we are blessed if we help others and give all we can to help them. God supplies our needs so why would we not help others. We need to be our brothers and sisters keepers.

We are to be kind to all the same way as much as is possible. How can you reach others if you never give of yourself or of the things they need? They should see God in us and know of his love through us and we do this by reaching out to all not just Christians. We are the hands of the Lord we need to do what is needed for all in need. :blink:

It is our responsibility to embrace them with love and caring and material things necessary for their well being.. We need to supply the staples that will help them. By showing an active and positive concern we are living our faith.

Regardless of whether they are part of our local church or part of the wider community, our responsibility is to help these people. We are all children of God.

To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community?

We are to make sure that they have there needs meet and as we truly bless them in the name of Jesus, God will bless us in our lives. Truely this is what those that are considered or elected as decon's, there responsibility is for the familiy's of the church, for there need's and well being. If you've got five decon's and twenty families then each decon is responsible fir four families each, that's the true porpose of a decon, to boss or lead the pastor, but as the pastor, to be lead by the Spirit and word of almighty God.

How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

That's also very clear in God's word, Matthew chapter 25, when you've gave unto one of these you've also gave unto me.(Jesus). Jesus giving the two new commandments in John saying Love thy neighbor as thy self.

Richard S.

Q2. (2:15-16) To what degree are we responsible for the poor and needy in the church community? How about our responsibility for those outside the church, in the community at large?

We are responsible to the body of Christ, as there is no one who would be able to deny his/her body in need. But our ability to assist brothers and sisters in need is determined by the willingness we have and the provision we got from our heavenly Father.

The same could apply for the poor in the general catergory, but everyone should start from their home and go out afterwards.

Someone said once,'that God must love poor people because He made so many of them.' If we know of someone in need and we have the means to help them,by not doing so,we are being selfish.

We can't possibly help all the poor and needy in our community but we should be willing to do what we can.

Twice a year,my church collects clothing and other stuff to send to orphan camps in Ukraine.

I collect cans and boxes of food thruout the year. Then when a food drive comes up,I give alot of it away. Sometimes I ended up giving away practically my whole food supply. My credit union held a food drive for the month of February. Everybody talks about helping the poor during the holiday seasons,but we tend to forget about them the rest of the year.

There are alot of ways to help those less fortunate, donating food to a local food pantry,donating clothing to the salvation army or goodwill,volunteering to work in a soup kitchen,etc.

We are out brothers keeper. In other words, we as true Christians must help the lowly, the poor. Must be like Jesus. This does not stop just within the church community, this applies outside as well (world).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I BELIEVE WE'RE RESPONSIBLE TO HELP THE POOR AND THE NEEDY NOT JUST IN OUR CHURCH BUT IN THE COMMUNITY AS WELL. IF WE CANT PERSONALLY MEET A FINANCIAL NEED THEN WE CAN AT LEAST PRAY THAT GOD WOULD SEND OTHERS TO HELP MEET THE PERSON'S NEED.I LOVE TO HELP OTHERS BUT LATELY I'D BEEN WONDERING IF SOME PEOPLE HAD TRUE NEEDS OR JUST LYING IN ORDER TO USE THE GIFTS FOR THEIR OWN SELFISH PURPOSES. WE TRAVEL A LOT AND SOMETIMES AT THE HOTEL I RUN INTO HOUSEKEEPERS WITH A LOT OF NEEDS. I'M VERY FRIENDLY AND TRY TO BE COMPASSIONATE TO THEIR NEEDS, BUT SOMETIMES I THINK THEY BELIEVE I MAY BE WEALTHY AND TRY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SITUATION BY LYING ABOUT NEEDS THAT MAY BE FALSE. SINCE I WANT TO KEEP MY HEART OF COMPASSION OPEN, I CONTINUE TO HELP BUT PLEASE PRAY FOR ME...THAT TLE HOLY SPIRIT WOULD LEAD AND GUIDE ME WITH HIS WISDOM..

GOD BLESS........

• 1 month later...

We are very much responsible for the poor and needy in the Church community.I would say less so for those outside, in that the scale of the problem is so large. But we should do as much as we can within our sphere of influence. But Jesus did say, "the poor you will have with you always".

• 4 weeks later...

:( I believe that we are to help the poor and needy as the Lord shows us, because if we just barge in we could hurt someone.

( Example ) When we see someone who's cloths may not be nice or clean, in our eyes we think they are in need, but they may be well off, which I have seen and this can affend them. I believe we must listen to the Spirit of God, and if He lays it on our heart to help then we must be obedient and do as the Spirit leads us. :P

We do have the responsiblity to help the needy but we are to be wise, as the Word of God says to ask for wisdom and it shall be given.

I thank you Jesus for your word, AMEN

:wub:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think this chapter of James makes it clear that as Christians we should take responsibility for the poor and needy. I'm not sure from a practical point of view how much I can do.

God bless, John.

• 2 months later...

God has directed all of us to help all those who are in need as best we can and sometimes more. I believe that if I hear of anyone who is without food or warmth I will pray to God for His guidance as to what His will is for me to do. I have but little means and my heart is bigger for God. God has shown me many ways that I'm able to help out some one and Blesses me more than I can imagine. PRAISE be to our GOD!!

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to offer a quote from Chistian History magazine, issue 57 (Vol. XVII, No. 1), article by Rodney Stark, "Live Longer, Healthier, & Better".

"In fact, many pagans were attracted to the Christian faith because the church produced tangible (not only "spiritual') blessings for its adherents.

Chief among these tangibles was that, in a world (sic, the Roman Empire, Rome in particular) entirely lacking social services, Christians were their brothers keepers. At the end of the second century, Tertullian wrote that while pagan temples spent their donations "on feasts and drinking bouts," Chrisitians spent theirs "to support and bury poor people, to supply the wants of boys and girls destitute of means and parents, and of old persons confined to the house.

The willingness of Christians to care for others was put on dramatic public display when two great plagues swept the empire, one beginning in 165 and the second in 251. Mortality rates climbed higher than 30 percent. Pagans tried to avoid all contact with the afflicted, often casting the still living into the gutters. Christians, on the other hand, nursed the sick even though some belivers died doing so."

Jesus taught us that this is our responsibilty in the world. As He walked, so to should we.

• 2 months later...

If there is a real need in the church then the church should rally around and do all that they can to help that brother or sister, working together to supply the need. I really hate to say this but the truth is that some people are parasites and will suck you dry if you do not use some wisdom and discerning of the spirit. There are people who prey on the goodness of christians and churches. Use wisdom. If you know the need is real, then I believe that sometimes we must give beyond what is comfortable but give as a sacrifice for yourself. The community at large we need to reach out to and help as well. Again using wisdom. If you know that the reason a person cant provide for their family because of alcoholism or ather addiction, then you buy groceries and take to that family or pay the light bill for them yourself but in no wise give cash money or it will be used for evil and the family in need will never benefit from your gift. USE WISDOM. Be a good steward of what God has given you.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
If we have e xperienced the love of our Lord [t should flow to all people whether divorced the widowed the sick or handicaped or whatever need there is. Todat the country of Africa have temendous need. In fact all countris n eed help in many ways. But we should minister to the needs for those around us a nd in our immmediaaate place of community and church. Christ admonished the disciples to miister to the widowed and orphans.

• 1 month later...

1) As Christians we are to care for those in our church who are in need. We need to help the poor financially as we are able. We need to encourage those in need and pray for them. We need to help them spiritually. We need to let them know they are loved by the church family.

2) Christians should always help people in church and outside our church in our communities. We need to show our love in outreaching to the community. We need to help as we are able.