JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word?

For the teachers will be judged by a higher standard and with greater serverity than other people.

Why is greater strictness appropriate?

For we all often stumble and fall and offend in many speech

Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

Yes because they are our leaders

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word?

I don't think discouraging is the right word. James is cautioning people against wanting to be teachers when they themselves still have much to learn about self-control. Then, if you pride yourself on your self-control you become self-righteous and that's not a desirable trait in a teacher either. It's a difficult line to walk, humble and in control of your tongue while confident you can guide others without having a superiority complex.

A teacher should lead by example. If your, or my for that matter, life is chaotic and disordered we have no business telling other people how to live their lives. If we're no more mature than the people we lead we shouldn't be leaders or teachers.

In some ways, yes. We have to remember though that pastors are human too. There are some areas where we should expect pastors to have higher standards. Keeping confidences, impartiality, willingness to help people with no reward or appreciation are things that pastors have to do to have credibility. It's a lonely road to walk sometimes. That's why some pastors' best friends are other pastors. If you become too friendly with someone in your congregation the others will resent that.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate? Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

James discourages people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word because they will be judged more strictly.  In other words think seriously about what you are called to do.  The greater strictness is  appropriate because the teacher has studied and knows the Word and everything that goes with it.  The teacher should know what God expects.

The pastor in coming a pastor that person has met the higher standards and in his/her own walk works with God in maintaining and increasing standards in their own life.  I must be concerned that my pastor's walk and teaching is in line with apostolic doctrine and the Bible.  However, I should be concerned about my own standards.  I should be working on becoming Christ-like and not worrying about others' standards.  Oftentimes, we place standards on others that we don't adhere to ourselves.  How self deluded.  The standards God set for believers are for all believers not just some.  James is saying God will judge the teacher more strictly, not us.  We have our hands full with getting right ourselves let alone judging others.  Oftentimes we more preoccupied by other peoples standards and ignore our own.   We need to pray for others and really work on ourselves.

The scripture sets the standards for teachers, preachers, deacons, etc.  Not congregations.  The question is does a fallible person have a calling to be a teacher, preacher, etc.  Teachers and preachers are still in the sanctification process themselves since they are human-beings too. 

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate? Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

James discourages people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word because they will be judged more strictly.  In other words think seriously about what you are called to do.  The greater strictness is  appropriate because the teacher has studied and knows the Word and everything that goes with it.  The teacher should know what God expects.

The pastor in coming a pastor that person has met the higher standards and in his/her own walk works with God in maintaining and increasing standards in their own life.  I must be concerned that my pastor's walk and teaching is in line with apostolic doctrine and the Bible.  However, I should be concerned about my own standards.  I should be working on becoming Christ-like and not worrying about others' standards.  Oftentimes, we place standards on others that we don't adhere to ourselves.  How self deluded.  The standards God set for believers are for all believers not just some.  James is saying God will judge the teacher more strictly, not us.  We have our hands full with getting right ourselves let alone judging others.  Oftentimes we more preoccupied by other peoples standards and ignore our own.   We need to pray for others and really work on ourselves.

The scripture sets the standards for teachers, preachers, deacons, etc.  Not congregations.  The question is does a fallible person have a calling to be a teacher, preacher, etc.  Teachers and preachers are still in the sanctification process themselves since they are human-beings too. 

• 2 years later...

James discourages people from aspiring to be teachers because teachers are held more strictly to what they teach. They are expected to practice what they teach. They will be held more responsible before God, because they know better than anyone else what is right and correct and God holds them to it.  

Greater strictness is appropriate because those that teach know the truth and should live a stricter life to show himself wise before others. His wisdom is a gift from God and he now demonstrates that wisdom by living God's word and his understanding of that word.  

I would set a higher standard for the pastor then myself because, one, he is the Shepard of the church, by his wisdom of God's word he should be stricter in his life. However, just as myself, he is still human, though I know the word of God, through the wisdom of his teaching and my own study, we still stumble, even teachers and pastor's.     

• 1 month later...

teachers are held to a higher standard because they are endeavoring to teach others.  Therefore they should know what they are taking about.  They will be judged more harshly as teaching the Word of God is indeed a very serious commitment.  We should keep our pastors and teachers in prayer always.  In teaching area I set higher standards for my pastor because he has been trained.  In living areas I set high standards for myself since I am an ambassador for my Lord.

God bless
Jen
Numbers 6:24-26

• 1 year later...

James warns Christians not to aspire to be a teacher, because they increase their liability for judgment. This is not meant to discourage teachers, but draw attention to prospective teachers the seriousness of the teaching ministry. They have a tremendous influence over the people they teach, and they must give very careful consideration to not only what they say, but how they say it. The teaching ministry is one of great responsibility, and must therefore be entered with extreme caution. Since the pastor’s errors work more mischief in society than those of an ordinary member of the Church, punishment is promised to preachers of the gospel. We are all called to be apostles so I say no, higher standards should not be set for just pastors.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q17. Teachers
  • 1 month later...

This is a pressing question for me because I left my former church in large part because I didn't respect the pastor's morality and character. This decision was done after much prayer. I felt spiritually deadened when in church, not by the liturgy which was beautiful, or by associating with the other congregants whom I barely knew though liked, but by little comments during the sermon, the cavalier way he treated women and his overall lack of love and concern for his flock. .

I hold a pastor to a higher standard. I want him to be a man I can respect and trust. I'm not expecting perfection, but am expecting him to maintain higher moral standards and a closer walk with the Lord than the typical congregant. 

The line between a pastor and a teacher is thin, isn't it? Pastor's teach and in a very real way, we all preach, or should be preaching. 

• 2 weeks later...

Q17. (3:1-2) 
Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? 
James is issuing a simple warning to not take teaching the Word of God lightly, since it carries with it a great responsibility. I will never forget the Sunday when our pastor was not available; a medical doctor from our congregation was asked to help out with the preaching. Before he had said a word he told us how daunting this was standing here, even more so than when being in an operating theatre. Because he felt that now he was dealing with people’s eternity, and there was even less room for error. Besides the responsibility to teach the truth, the teacher will receive heavier judgment if they fail to practice what they preach. He must be prepared to obey what he sees in the Word. He can never hope to lead others beyond what he himself has practiced. Yes, greater strictness is definitely appropriate. They have been trained and taught various Christian doctrines and should know better than to deviate from the truth. I also think it is a great privilege to be given such a noble and distinguished task. No, it is not for me to expect my pastor to be more righteous/holy than myself. We are all sinners, and who am I to judge him. 

James discourages people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word because they will be judged more strictly. 

Greater strictness is appropriate because one cannot claim that they did not know.

We all, that are teachers of the word, should be set at higher standards.  Most expect the Pastor to be set at higher standards than themselves because he is not only their teacher but Pastor too.

In all my 82 years I have known many teachers of the word  ,I have never met any 

who thought of themselves to be on a higher level than the people they were

leading, teaching,and serving. The commitment to such an office produces closeness and respect between those serving and those being served and with 

such closeness all faults and weaknesses are immediately apparent to all.Therefore a higher plain for teachers is irrelavent.

Both James and Paul  were of Jewish tradition where I suspect the leaders were set apart from the worshippers and perhaps they could not contemplate

a more democratic organisation that the Christian church would become 

Q17. (James 3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate? Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

The reason James discourages people for aspiring ti be teachers is because you will be judged by a higher standard when you have assumed greater accountability and more condemnation if we teach incorrectly. As it relates to preaching the word of God, because pastor's could injury people with wrong and incorrect doctrines. 

Q1.Jesus was warning us all that if we decide to be involved in teaching then we must be very careful to live an appropriate life. The teacher knows how to act because they are teaching it every day. Nobody will take notice of a teacher who teaches one thing but in their own lives acts or speaks in a different way. They must ‘ walk the talk’ otherwise they will be ineffective and cause people to turn away from God rather than encouraging them to come and get to know God. Greater strictness is appropriate because teachers are setting an example and their students look up to them and emulate them. I think God expects the same standard of living from us as from our Pastors but our Pastor has more areas of responsibility, such as presenting and teaching us the word of God . Having written the last sentence I realise we all have responsibility to teach and present the word of God to someone, whether it is someone we are introducing to Jesus, or our children or our grandchildren. I think our standard and that of our Pastor should be the same with different emphasis on different areas of our lives and different responsibilities.

. (James 3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate? Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

James discouraged people from being teachers because they will be judged by what they teach.

May be higher standards should be set for Pastors who teach or may be not, because all of us are supposed to be teachers one way or the other say, in our homes as parents of in an office as leaders.

On 12/17/2004 at 2:59 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q17. (James 3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate? Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

Because in being a teacher, you have to teach what the Word says and not your own opinion.  You need to hear from God and speak truth.  Because they should know better, be an example and need to practice what they preach.  Teachers are held to a higher example.

They need to teach truth, as they are accountable to God.  They need to practice what they preach, as they are an example to the people.

They are held to a higher standard since they know better!  When we know better, we should be held to a higher standard also,

Q17. (James 3:1-2)

I might be wrong but I too feel that it is sooner that he cautions them about being teachers of the Word. The responsibility is so much greater. Yes, strictness would be a good word to use. You need to be much more strict on yourself and your family in how you handle matters as all eyes are on you. The what you do and how you handle things just as much as what you say and how you interpret happenings.

No. I feel the standards are the same, because in your own surroundings, i.e., your workplace and home you are the "teacher" without the titles. There you are being watched with eagle eyes, how you handle situations. What you say and do matters just as much to your little "flock" as what the teachers of the Word say and do to the ones they have been given to care for. 

• 2 weeks later...

I believe James is aware of the responsibility of the teacher of the Word and is making the reader aware that to go into this profession you will have a stricter judgement. It states in James 4:17 "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth. it not, to him it is sin". Strictness is appropriate because they are already aware of the requirements and cannot claim ignorance, it is therefor a responsibility. Yes, I do believe higher standards for a pastor than for myself-but at the same time acknowledge we are both human with faults. 

• 3 weeks later...

The reason that James discourages people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word is that they will be held to a higher account. Greater strictness is appropriate because they will know better and can’t say that they didn’t know. I know that my pastor and his wife has a higher standard than I do, but I didn’t set that standard, he and God did.