JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

James warns that teachers will be judged harder than others, and therefore think twice before aspiring to teaching!

Greater strictness is appropriate because it is consistent with the general scriptural principle that as we judge, so we shall be judged, as we forgive, so we shall be forgiven, as we give, so we shall receive, do to others as you would have them do to you. In other words, what we put out is what we receive. Therefore if we put out teaching, that teaching measures the standard by which we are judged. Therefore we need to be sure, as teachers, that we are in fact doing everything that we teach. Like the pharisees of old (and some were wonderful, cf Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathaea) we who teach are claiming knowledge and, as Pastor Ralph says, can't hide behind ignorance. Jesus had a lot to say about the teachers of the time. For instance He said to Nicodemus, "Are you a teacher of the people and don't know this? (You must be born again)" Pharisees in general were called white-washed tombstones with rot inside! Certainly we MUST llive up to the standards we teach.

Why should one set higher standards for the pastor than for oneself? If one has a good pastor we should aspire to his example, setting that same example for ourselves and being thankful for the mentoring. It's not what we expect of others that constitutes working out our salvation. It is our effective love. So rather we should love our pastor and pray for and support him, for he has indeed set himself to face a difficult task.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate? Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

I can only reiterate what others have said! To teach the Word is to be responsible for what is taught--the teacher has a responsiblility to teach the word in truth and without detracting or diluting the gospel. And, teachers will be held responsible for what they have taught!

Should I set higher standards for my pastor than for myself? No!! the same standards of righteousness apply to all!! A preacher/pastor is held responsible for what he preaches/teaches--and his conduct should measure up to the Word--but so should mine!

Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate? Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

I think a lot of believers who see or listen to preachers look up to them and would like to be like them, preaching and teaching. So, it is a position people admire and so aspire to. However, this position should not be taken lightly. People in such a position can easily lead others astray with false teaching whether done or purpose or through ignorance.

I don't think it is a reason to set or hold pastors to higher standards, though.

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word?

Because teachers either encourage or discourage their students. If they don't 'live what they teach' they can turn people away from Christ and that is not what James is wanting.

Why is greater strictness appropriate?

For the same reason as I just said. It really bothers me to listen to someone that I know is not practicing what they preach but they are telling me to do it, even if I know that it is true. He/she shouldn't be teaching on it.

Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

Yes, because they are over me. But in the same instance if they stumble, and some of them do, we need to love them back into the fold. I don't mean that they should continue to be in that position but I have known a pastor that messed up. And half of my church turned on him. It still hurts me to think of how they did that and in some self-righteous way they believe that what they did was right. We are to love, not turn our backs on sinners and the last time I looked even pastors fit in that group. We are all saved by grace.

James speaks to those who "presume to be teachers" which suggests to me that there are those who go beyond wanting to be teachers to presuming they are, for the honour or prestige or approval of man they will receive. Possibly they do this out of pride and desire for recognition.

James' warning to this group is to take the office of teacher seriously because it is subject to greater scrutiny and accountability. Teachers are responsible for the consequences of both their words and their actions, and will be judged accordingly.

Therefore pastors who also present themselves as teachers must be held to a higher standard than those who are receving the teaching.

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be

teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate?

Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for

yourself?

He tries to discourage those who want to teach knowing that that people sometimes can't live up to what they are teaching

We need to be stricter with those who teach. especially if they are teaching wrong. If they are allowed to continue to teach others wrong then they will cause some people to fall back into sin

Same with Pastors. They are to shepard the people and if they are living wrong then how can we expect others to live right?

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate? Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

The ones they teach are trusting them to know the truth to have been in the word and checking to make sure what the teach is the truth not to take anyone else's word for it. We shall be accountable for every word that come out of our mouths so we must make sure it is the right word of God not the words we think.

Pastors are held as a higher truth and we depend on them to know the truth and never tell us anything wrong. They are humans still but they as teachers will be judged stricter and maybe even more than a teacher. They have a great responsibility to those that they lead they are like the shepherd with sheep they are responsible for each one that they are pastor too.

Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word?

Because it's very serious to be a teacher of the Word of God, and a great responsability to teach.

Why does greater strictness appropriate?

Because you must be sure your being lead by the Spirit and teaching the true Word of God not leading someone astray.

Should you sat higher standards for your pastor than yourselfs?

We ought to have stanards sat for ourselfs also, but leaders,teachers, pastors and such will be judged more harshly.

Richard S.

Teachers have to practice (or should) what they say and do. People respect teachers (in most Cases). This is difficult being human. If you teach it then you are to do it. Being a teacher, people tend to put you on a higher pedestal and respect you.

No, he or she is only human -- but I have great respect for them and their vocation. I would expect them to lead a godly life and in return have them expect certain standards for me.

James discourages people from aspiring to be teachers for the fact that teachers have to practicing what they preach. They are held to a higher standard for they know the word and do not have any excuse for not keeping the word. The greater strictness in the matter is healthy for it desciplines teachers to rever God and speak and teach His word responsibly.

I know that we set higher standards for everyone who serves the Lord from the pulpit including teachers and perhaps this emanates from the fact that we think that they know it all and should be held responsible. But I think everyone is equally responsible and accountable for their actions if we confess our faith in the Lord.I

Brings heavier judgment and since we are human we can stumble at anytime, no matter how strong our faith and belief. Great strickness is a must if we are to become teachers of the Word. We must be clean and pure in heart and live and obey the commandments that is required of us. Higher standards for pastor is a must. He /She is the Sheperd and congregation are the flock. If the sheperd is not strong and true he/she will lead the flock astray.

• 2 weeks later...

Teachers have more responsibilities

i. People expect them to walk the talk

ii. People follow them. Sol if they do wrong, they are also leading others astray

iii. When people who teach do wrong, it causes believers also to become cynical

In India Christianity is still 2.5% of the popuplation for the last 40 years, despite all the missions and churches being here. Are we lacking something in Christian living compared to other religions?

Same applies with many of the Islamic nations.

God bless those who can talk and walk the talk at the same time - they are few and they are important.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

TEACHERS HAVE A HEAVIER RESPONSIBILITY THAN THE CHURCH MEMBERS AND THEREFORE JAMES IS GIVING A WORD OF CAUTION TO ASPIRING TEACHERS. TEACHERS ARE ABLE TO HELP SHAPE THE FUTURE AND DESTINY OF THOSE WHOM THEY'RE TEACHING,BUT IF THEY'RE NOT STUDYING THE WORD AND ASKING THE HOLY SPIRIT FOR WISDOM AND GUIDANCE TO TEACH THEN THEY CAN EASILY LEAD BELIEVERS ASTRAY.SO MANY TIMES I HEAR SCRIPTURES BEING EXPLAINED BY TEACHERS AND SOMETIMES IT'S SO CONTRADICTORY THAT I END UP GETTING CONFUSED AND HAVING TO GO TO THE LORD FOR MYSELF AND SEEK HIS UNDERSTANDING OF THE SCRIPTURE.

GREATER STRICTNESS IS APPROPRIATE WHERE TEACHERS ARE CONCERNED BECAUSE THE RESPONSIBILITY AND ACCOUNTIBILITY ARE MUCH HEAVIER . THEREFORE THEY SHOULD BE SETTING GOOD EXAMPLES BY THEIR CONDUCT AND LIFESTYLE HABITS SO THAT OTHERS CAN HAVE A GOOD EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW.

I HAVE SET VERY HIGH STANDARDS FOR MYSELF BUT HAVE MADE MANY MISTAKES AND HAVE HAD TO REPENT AND ASK GOD FOR FORGIVENESS.SO EVEN THOUGH I HAVE SET HIGH STANDARDS FOR MY PASTOR AND HIS FAMILY I NEVER PUT THEM ON A PEDESTAL BECAUSETHEY'RE HUMAN AND LIABLE TO MAKE MISTAKES AT TIMES.GOD BLESS.........

• 1 month later...

Teachers will be judged more strictly, which is appropriate as they have more responsibility to the Lord not to lead others astray. We do set higher standards for our Pastors, although they too are human because they have a greater capacity to bring the gospel into disrepute if they were to fall into sin.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think he is discouraging others from being teachers but I do believe he is laying it all out in front of them by telling them that being a teacher has it's problems. There is a great amount of accountability due to the fact that we must know what we teach and even more so live it. I don't think one should hold higher standards for a pastor but they should strive to live according to what they have learned to be "truth" in their own lives. Pastors do need to be held accountable by their students and the students can only do this by searching the "truth" for themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

James is telling us that teaching is a highly valued profession and it is a big responsibility to influence other peoples spiritual lives. I believe we should set high standards for ourselves.

John.

• 3 months later...

I don't see James as discouraging people to teach rather, urging caution. I may be somewhat prejudice here as I do aspire to be the best teacher that I can be and the church needs doctrine based teachers more than ever. James probably felt the same urgency during his time and knew that the enemies fault finders could nit pick the simplest of errors. So, the need for a teacher is to be as accurate as humanly possible, led by the Holy Ghost.

Strictness is discipline and Lord, that we could discipline our tongues as you do.

With God there is no respect of persons. People who criticize pastors need to look at themselves.

I often think about this comment when I'm monitoring my own thoughts on this subject: "I would rather go to church with the hypocrites than to hell with the hypocrites." Gives me pause to self examine.

• 4 weeks later...

James warns people about becoming teachers, because it makes us more responsible in our actions and speech because other people look to us for direction. I do not set a higher standard for my pastor as he is not any different than I. Although he is the leader of the church we altermately are all "sinners before a Holy God". I'll have to say that I feel strongly that way, but I also know that pastors do have a greater responsibilty. Churches have new people every once in awhile (either for a visit or thinking about joining) and if they come into a church and the pastor is teaching something other than what is scripture, he would do more harm then good.

• 2 months later...

To whom much is given much is required.

Any one (not just pastors) who teaches, sings, works with the youth, or in any way a leader, must set an example for those whom he leads.

since I am in a position of leadership, I expect more of myself than I do any one else. Sometimes though I am guilty of expecting too much from those under me.