JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

As teachers of the word, they are held more accountable because they can't say they didn't understand - this makes greater strictness appropriate. I don't think higher standards should be expected for different people, but we can expect the highest standards from all based on our knowledge and understanding and with God's loving help and forgiveness.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate? Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?
As a tteacher { of w hich I had been for years} you h ave tremendoues influence on people. That influence and the words thaat you uddeer maay lay dormant in a perssons mind. but there comes a time w hen what you said comes to light in making important decisions. But one neeeds to curb the tongue and be honest and true in your teaching. But alove for God's word a nd sticking ti it solidy will lead to many believers for life. Learn to control your speech at all times. If you live long enough you will see the results of your teaching when leaning upon God's word.

• 1 month later...

A) Teachers of the Word will be judged more severely.

B) Greater strictness is appropriate for teachers. They have to practice what they teach. They should set higher standards for themselves.

C)Higher standards are expected of the Pastor. People see their example.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word?

James discourages people from aspiring to be teadhers of the Word simply because the Word that they teach will be their judge and they will be judged more strictly.

Why is greater strictness appropriate?

Because the one who has studied and is teaching can't claim, "I didn't know any better." They've been teaching others how to behave; God and everyone else expects them to practice what they preach.

Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

Yes, but only to their standard of knowledge. One would assume that the pastor has more knowledge of the Word than his parishoners, so his standard should be higher.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate? Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

James discourages people from being teachers of the Word because God holds them to a higher standard and will be judged with a greater strictness.

Greater strictness is appropriate because the teacher is without excuse, because he/she knows the Word of God.

Yes and no. Yes because he is the Pastor and model. He should practice what he preaches. No, because I'm a Christian and also a role model that others are watching and learning from. I think we all need to set high standards for ourselves in Jesus Christ.

• 4 months later...

Teachers of the Word will be judged more strictly than their congregations because they are teaching others how to behave and are making a closer study of the Word than other people.

I find it difficult to lay down the law about my pastor. He is human and under many more pressures than I am regarding God's Word; yet I think he should be sticking to Biblical standards for his life as he knows more about God's Word than I do. But then I should be living to those standards as well. I have to say that as a congregation, we should support our pastors and pray for them as they are at the spiritual front line.

• 3 weeks later...

He discourages people to be teachers of the Word because they will be judged by the world more severly, as they expect pastors to be perfect. If they find imperfection, they soon use this agaisnt the Christian teacher of the Word and some may even use this as a reason/excuse not to become saved. The "church" gets a bad rap.

Greater strictness is appropriate because teachers of the Word are taken at face value by what they say and do and how their lifestyles are reflected to the onlookers. God expects teachers to do as His Word instructs all the time. People also expect this. It is a great responsibility.

Sometimes I think I should set higher standards for my pastor than for myself. This is because he knows more of the Word than I do and all people in authority should wear their badge with honour and pride. Yet, if I expect him to be betther than myself, I am being too lenient with myself and to critical of he, who is a human being; capable of mistakes as the rest of us.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word?Why is greater strictness appropriate?

Being a teacher calls for a lot of responsibility and commitment from that person in the fact that he is to set a good example for his students.Being a teacher of the Word comes with even more pressure as the person has to practice what he preaches and he has to search his soul and be sure that he is upto the challenge and teachers of Word are accountable to God more than others..

I think we all are accountable in the presence of God and all of us are judged by the same law and criteria..And all of us have to check our conscience to that end...And the standards of a person is set by God and we are not to judge each other about that..

• 11 months later...

Q1. (3:1-2)

Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word?

Why is greater strictness appropriate?

I think this is a simple warning that the ministry of teaching should not be undertaken lightly. It is a great responsibility to teach the Bible and those who teach the Word of Truth will receive heavier judgment if they fail to practice what they teach. The teacher must be prepared to obey what he sees in the word. He can never hope to lead others beyond what he himself has practiced. The teacher has great influence on others and he will be judged harshly if he leads any into a life of ungodliness. I also think it is a great privilege to be given such a noble and distinguished task.

• 2 months later...

Being a teacher is a great responsibility. They should practice what they teach(as we all should). When a teacher has either small children or teens or adults it is very important they should convey what they are teaching in clear and precise facts from the Word. As James states, that those who teach will be judged more strictly. There is greater strictness for teachers because they are molding the lives of those that are still learning. The Word is Truth and the Truth should be taught. It should never be watered down. As we all know everyone stumbles because we are all human. Pastors have the call of God to preach and teach and have a greater influence on those they are speaking to. It is a great privledge and responibility to be callled of God to preach His Word.

The bible tells us that teachers of the word will be judged more strictly. I don`t know if James is discouraging people from becoming a teacher of the word as it is more of a warning I think. This is a great request from God, an honour, but the teacher will have to stay tuned in to God at all times so they don`t wander off on their own adgenda. We are human and we may stumble on the way but taking on that call the teacher is taking on the responsiblity of other souls, by what they teach them so greater strictness is appropriate. When I was younger I had high stanards for my ministers and pastors, but as I have matured and grown with God I put myself at the same standard as my pastor, sure he may have more knowledge and perhaps more understanding or even wisdom, but the word is there for me to learn, and all I have to do is ask of the Lord and submit myself, after all are my children not my responsibility to teach them and bring the word to them the best I can? The teaching is not just up to pastors. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Teachers are judged more strictly because they the truth and people will expect them to practice what they preach.

James notes in verse two that no one can be perfect. We all stumble or trip. So we ourself must also restrain and bridle our tongue. We need to show self control.

James verse 3:5 shows how small things like a bit, rudder, tongue, and a spark are small but control or have a large effect such as the case of a spark and a forest fire. Verse 6 underscores the power of the tongue as being analogous with a fire. In life, the tongue can be very destructive. A person who leads, such as a pastor will have more people that can be influenced negatively or positively. So a leader must be held accountable. However, I don't feel this is a cop out for myself.

We as Christians should be witnesses to the glory of God. Unbelievers also see what we do and say. So we must be accountable even if we aren't "pastors", in the manner in which churches are set up today.

• 1 month later...

It seems that only with the hand of God on a person could one aspire to teach, no matter the subject. So such a person would need to have the joyful heart to see and hear with their heart;

Such a person would need to operate at a high level of focus. Yet it seems that anyone who communicates with other people needs to have such focus. Effective human interaction requires knowing ehough about the other person/s to see if they are also focused. There is a responsibility to "inspire" to "energize" those who you want ot teach, to make it interesting and challenging, to make the other want to concentrate and focus on their teacher.

Jesus was a great teacher and speaker of the truth while using his heart, eyes, ears to fully-know those around him

This is why he had such an impact on humanity and still does today

• 4 months later...

Because God will judge them more strictly. Moreover teacher of the word should walk the talk if he fails he will be a stumbling block to others. To set higher standards for my pastor is not my priority.

• 3 weeks later...

Teachers have an additionL burden and need to be aware of this. This would effect their prayer life and quiet time with the Lord as they have been given others to be resposible for. I do set higher standards for my pastor as he has been called and equipped and has additional wisdom to see a flock not just one sheep.

• 5 months later...

Why is greater strictness appropiate? Because our pastors & teachers have more knowledge than we do & thus we can hold them accountable for that knowledge & because they have knowledge that we want , it is appropiate .Our pastors & teachers know the "Word" far better than we do & that very knowledge allows for greater strictness.

To answer the first part of the question, because those who teach will be judged more strictly.

• 5 months later...

Answer:

I think that James,does not discourage people to be teachers,because if he did,then He is not in line with Jesus great commission in Matthew 28:18-20- 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

In KJV,the word teacher is master which means G1320 διδάσκαλος didaskalos (did-as'-kal-os) n.

1. a teacher, an instructor

2. (figuratively, with reverence) master

In verse 18,the word

Teaching is a precious gift from God. It is part of the 5 fold ministry to the church. When we are called to teach we hace a high accountabilty because we are presenting the Word of God to the flock. It's not something to be entered into lightly.

Teachers must keep their eyes on Jesus and hearts pure and accept the responsibility of the high calling.

Our pastors have a calling from God. They are responsible for the flock. We are responsible for praying for them and ministering to them. They have a high calling and also high standards that must be shown.

• 2 months later...

If you are a teacher, god will judge you more strictly. This is because if you are teaching others about life and how to live it then you have no excuse for not knowing how you yourself should live. Standards that I set should be based on God's word. I should only judge my pastor by that same standard - the Word. However, the Word of God also encourages us to pray for our leaders/pastors.

• 4 months later...

James is discouraging people from wanting to be teachers because he knows that teachers or preachers will be judged more strictly than the ones to whom they are teaching. To me someone teaching should be doing what they are teaching. We all should aspire to the standards that God has set forth for us, but if you are answering a call from God to be a teacher or leader you have a responsibility to God to teach and to be a good example because you are representing God. We all are as Christians.

• 5 months later...

I’m not sure James is trying to discourage as much as he is trying to convince us of the responsibilities of teaching/leading others. If we presume to teach, we must believe we have something to teach and James would say that we must practice what we preach/teach. We are all held accountable to live up to what we know. The more we know, the more we are responsible for. We hold our spiritual leaders to a higher standard because they are in positions of authority and responsibility. When they fall, their fall usually affects many others. However, the standard for all is the same. That standard is Christ. We need to imitate (become more like) Christ and not compare ourselves to our earthly leaders.

• 2 months later...

The teacher knows the truth and there for can’t say that they didn’t know what was right and wrong. Therefore they should be judged more strictly. I don’t know if I set higher standards for my pastor then myself but I do expect him to have high standards. He is the one that is in the limelight and should always, to the best of his ability, setting the standards of Jesus Christ.

• 6 months later...

(3:1-2) Why does James discourage people from aspiring to be teachers of the Word? Why is greater strictness appropriate? Should you set higher standards for your pastor than you do for yourself?

James says that teachers will receive heavier judgment. I'm not sure that James is discouraging people from becoming teachers, but cautioning them.

Greater strictness is appropriate because the words of a teacher have far greater ability to either instruct and encourage in holiness, or to spread wrong and sinful ideas that will draw people away from the Lord.

I think that God has set the standard for all teachers, from the preschool class right up to the leadership of the Church, to be the same. Instead of judging my Church leadership I would do better to look at how God's standards and expectations as a teacher apply to me.