JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q18. Tongue-Taming

Q2. (3:7-8) Read Matthew 12:34 and 15:18. In light of these verses, why is the tongue untamable? What has to happen before it can be tamed?

The tongue is untamable because it reflects the heart. Until the heart is where it should in Jesus Christ the tongue cannot be tamed. The tongue is tamed when the love of God Almightly through Jesus Christ reigns in the heart.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (3:7-8) Read Matthew 12:34 and 15:18. In light of these verses, why is the tongue untamable? What has to happen before it can be tamed?

The tongue is untameable because what comes out of the mouth, comes from the heart. If the heart is evil the mouth will be the same.

The tongue can only be tamed by the Holy Spirit, and our submission to Him in our hearts.

• 3 weeks later...

The tongue is untameable because it is inhenretly evil and unstable. Words spoken come from the heart and are uttered by the tongue, so if there are evil intentions in one's heart or one is not making a concious effort to be more Christ like, then it is difficult yo tame.

Living a sanctified life, led by and helped by the Holy Spirit, will help us to tame the tongue. Then our speech will reflect more about our growth in grace.

• 2 months later...

The speaking of the mouth is said in the Gospel according to Matthew as "overflow of the heart"and as "coming from the heart"..When the heart is full of evil its overflows outward through the mouth.In the light of these verses the tongue is controlled by the contents of the heart which indeed is nothing but evil..

For the tongue to be tamed we have to be able to control what is going on inside our hearts which can be achieved only by letting God take control of our heart and life...We have to open our hearts for the revival of the Holy Spirit..And we have to imbibe in us the qualities of the Spirit like love,joy,etc...

• 10 months later...

Q2. (3:7-8)

Read Matthew 12:34 and 15:18. In light of these verses, why is the tongue untameable?

What has to happen before it can be tamed?

It is because of our evil hearts that our tongue is untameable as it expresses itself in blasphemy, bitterness and abuse. Before the tongue can be tamed our hearts need to be filled with goodness; then only will we speak words of grace and righteousness.

• 2 months later...

It"s a heart condition. We can not do it on our own. What is in the heart comes out the mouth. The Holy Spirit is always with us and He will convict us of our wrong doings. Our words can be so hurtful to others. We need the Lord to forgive us and continue to shape us. We must be pliable clay so the Potter can mold us into what He wants us to become. The hardest thing for us is to practice self control. We will still make mistakes but we must keep pushing forward and let God have his way. I am so glad He doesn't give up on any of us.

It is what is laying upon our hearts in which we speak, in these cases they are full of evil, so full that the heart is over flowing with evil. All that will be spoken is poision. One will have to come and humble oneself to the Lord. When one humbles one is submitting also which allows the holy spirit to rest within. Become still and listen to the Lord and let the holy spirit work in and thru you, He will control your tongue and only Him. Be patient be still and feel His peace! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Matthew 12:34 You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.

Matthew 15:18 But (A)the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man.

The tongue is controlled by that which is in the heart. If the heart is evil then the words that come out of the heart are evil as well. The only home is that we are transformed and become new by the saving grace of the blood of Jesus and through the power of the Holy Spirit we can bear fruit of which one is self control, one of the remedies that James speaks of.

• 4 months later...

2a.) I am drawn to Romans 7 where Paul elaborates on what Jesus is telling us: "I know that nithing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out." (Romans 7:18) Because of the sinful nature in us, we will continue to struggle with our sin. I know I have to chew quite a hole in my tongue on many occassions, when I would rather be giving a smart retort. :(

2b.) A transformation of the heart, washed by the blood of the Lamb. As Paul concludes: "Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.." (Romans 7:25) But as Paul reveals, we will continue to struggle with the sinful nature in us. Our refining process, sanctification, will continue until we are called home. :D

The power of the tongue is so destructive, and defies our feeble attempts to control it, even when we are saved.

Thank goodness we have a forgiving God who loves even when we sin! :(

• 1 month later...

The tongue is influence by the heart where sinful man can control but not tame it. Only born again Christian has the power of the leading of the Holy Spirit to change the thought by the new heart that God has given then the tongue can proceed with good thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Our hearts hold all and it seems that the words we say are untamable. The heart needs to be tamed. Only God can do this. Turning to God and renewing a right spirit - protecting the heart tames the tongue.

• 11 months later...

Matthew 12:34- 34O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Matthew 15:18-But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.

Answer:

The Tongue can be tamed..But the root cause,the source of all of this must be changed first

• 2 months later...

Our tongues speak out loud what is already in our hearts. Before our tongues can be tamed there must be a change in our hearts. We cannot speak love when hate is in our hearts, we cannot speak mercy when only judgment lurks inside.

• 4 months later...

The tongue is untamable because we as humans since the fall of man can only go one way and that is the way against God. Because of man's sin we have a heart that is deceitful and wicked and evil and nothing good can come from our heart. The tongue will speak what the mind thinks and the heart feels. In order for us to control our tongues we first must be saved. We have to believe and trust in Jesus as our Savior and our Lord, our Master. We must turn ourselves completely over to Him; put our lives into His hands. Once this is done He will give us Someone who is just like Himself, the Holy Spirit to be our Houseguest. He will dwell in us and it is this power that will enable us to tame our tongues as long as we listen and submit to Him when He tell us how to go and what to do. We must let Him be our Guide. Of course we are going to continue to make mistakes, but it is only by this power that we can tame the tongue.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

(3:7-8) Read Matthew 12:34 and 15:18. In light of these verses, why is the tongue untamable? What has to happen before it can be tamed?

The tongue us untameable because the heart is untameable. The words that come out of our mouths originate in our hearts and as the prophet Jeremiah says, the human heart is deceitful and desperately wicked. What needs to happen to tame the tongue is that I need a heart transplant. i guess this begins at salvation and continues through the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit.

• 5 months later...
Guest Lensoptical1

The tongue can not be trained; eventually it will reveal what's in the heart.

The mind has to be renewed by the Word of God in order to maintain a Godly conversation.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (3:7-8) Read Matthew 12:34 and 15:18. In light of these verses, why is the tongue untamable?

Because it's just too easy to just let a careless word slip out. We give voice to our thoughts . . . speaking out loud what we think in our hearts. We criticize people thinking we're doing it for their benefit, when in reality we're condemning them with our words. We lie freely and we boast ceaselessy. Even if we don't realize it at the time, our words often do more harm than good.

What has to happen before it can be tamed?

We have to live surrendered lives. I wish I had a foolproof answer to this but all we can do is think before we speak. "Is what I'm about to say going to benefit whoever hears it?" . . . "Is what I'm about to say going to hurt someone?" . . . We need to be constantly on guard and be in prayer at all times seeking God's guidance and restraint before speaking. No wonder some of the extreme orders of monks took vows of silence!

• 5 weeks later...

The tongue is so untamable because it is the conduit of the heart.  What is in the heart the tongue passes on.  We really need to tame the heart.  Fill the heart with God's precepts and love, then what comes out of the mouth will be loving, healing, edifying, and healthy.  In other words Godly.

In sum, to tame the tongue we must give our hearts to Jesus Christ and let the Holy Spirit reside in our hearts and let Him work the sanctification process in our hearts.  The heart is the seat of the human-being.  As Jesus said all things flow out of the heart.  Our hearts must be made Christ-like so that our tongues will speak Christ-like.

The tongue is so untamable because it is the conduit of the heart.  What is in the heart the tongue passes on.  We really need to tame the heart.  Fill the heart with God's precepts and love, then what comes out of the mouth will be loving, healing, edifying, and healthy.  In other words Godly.

In sum, to tame the tongue we must give our hearts to Jesus Christ and let the Holy Spirit reside in our hearts and let Him work the sanctification process in our hearts.  The heart is the seat of the human-being.  As Jesus said all things flow out of the heart.  Our hearts must be made Christ-like so that our tongues will speak Christ-like.

• 2 years later...

The tongue is not tamable because it speaks the evil that is in the heart. It defiles a man because it lets the thought of the inner man out and testifies against him.

Before the tongue can be tamed a person must have a pure heart, free of all defilement that are in the heart. If the tongue is tamed, surely a man has a good command over his moral character.

• 1 month later...

Our tongue defines what is in our heart.  Therefore if we have an evil heart our words will be evil.  Only a heart transformation can change the tongue and that comes when the Holy Spirit resides in us as believers.

God bless

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26