JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q25. Humble Planning

Q1. (4:13-16) What danger is James warning us about in verses 13-16? How can we be humble in our planning without being indecisive and wishy-washy

He is talking about those that are self confident. They do not put their faith and trust in Jesus but in what they know or think they know.

It we pray first and wait on the Lord to let us know what to do and when to do it and give him the glory for all that is done or going to be done then we can stay humble and willing to be used of the Lord. When we say we can do this and that we get in trouble. That is when we have stepped out in self and not trusting in God. He is our help our hope and who we need to depend upon. Thank you Lord you are ever present with us and you are our hope for all things.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What danger is James warning us about in verses 13-16? How can we be humble in our planning without being indecisive and wishy-washy?

James is warning us about being presumptious by leaving God out of our planning. We are being extremely arrogant in the presence of God if we plan without considering the overall priority of God's will in our plans. If we are cognizant of God's will and consider that first when we plan we don not need to be indecisive. On the contrary, if our plans are in accord with God's will we can be confident in our plans and planning.

God controls our future not us, so to say anything as if we know God's plans is presumptuous. We can be humble by putting the Lord first in all that we think, say and do. In this way we submit to His will. If we say, I will if the Lord's willing. We put Him first. I don't know if this sounds wishy washy but I don't know of any other way to say it.

Q.1

1. If we seek riches more than anything, we could die in our evil state, leaving God out of our life is very dangerous. Leaving God out of our plans is evil and will bring judgment upon us.

2. We should certinaly seek the Lords will before we attemp steping out to do something for Him. Do not say "If it be the Lords will, I will do this or that" whenever your intentions are "unless I can find something better to do." I've asked people on Sunday morning if they were going to be in the evening service. I usually get "If it be the Lord's willing." I come back and say, "Do you think it is the Lord's will to "forsake assembling ourselves together as the manner of some is?"

Heb. 10:25. The person should have said "no, I have something else planned for tonight."

James is warning us about the danger of not relying on God in our lives. It is also the danger of being confident in our own selves, in our abilities, in our earthly possessions, in our own earthly, human wisdom, etc. By not relying on God for direction and purpose, we set ourselves up for failure and fall.

We can be humble in our planning by first acknowledging and knowing that it is the Lord who leads. When we go to Him first with our ideas, thoughts and desires, He leads us. When we

James is warning us about making plans as if we alone control our future.

He warns us about leaving God out of our planning.

We can be humble in our planning without being indecisive and wishy-washy by submitting ourselves to God and committing our plans to Him.

James is warning us about making plans for the future as if we were in control. God is the one who controls the course of our lives, if we chose to follow it.

Don't presume. Submit to God. Slow down. Wait for God's plan for you rather than trying to get rapid results by your own actions.

James warns us that we do not have a monopoly on the future, and despite our sensible planning, we do not know exactly what is in store for us. Therefore we need to humbly give God His place at the head of all things like the future.

This needs to be always a present concern. We need to do our planning, but also always to be ready to put plans aside for our Father in Heaven to change according to His will, because His spirit blows where He will and we don't know where it has come from or where it is going. Yet our planning needs to be deliberate, responsible, accurate, and able to accommodate the needs of people for certainty.

• 2 weeks later...

Planning and executing without God being in it - is pride. At some point it will fail. Personal experience :-)

How do do Gods will and not be wishy washy? - Thats tough. It essentially rquires succesful prayer - learning to hear God well " His sheep hear his voice"...and they listen. trying to learn how to listen and recognize his voice as opposed to other influences. Only then I presume I will not be wishy washy or indecisive.

• 1 month later...

Here the arrogance of the sinful heart is exposed. Such a person prefers the world to worship. These individuals were professing to be servants of God, but in daily practice they deny or ignore Him. They act as if God does not exist and are in reality practical pagans.

Their presumptuous assumption is they own the future, not God. They ignore the fact that

• 3 months later...

UNTIL I GOT SAVED ALMOST SEVEN YEARS AGO, I THOUGHT I CONTROLLED MY OWN DESTINY AND THAT I WAS IN CHARGE OF MAKING PLANS FOR MY LIFE.JAMES IS WARNING AGAINST THIS TYPE OF ARROGANCE AND PRESUMPTOUSNESS WHERE WE MAKE OUR OWN PLANS AND THEN ASK THE LORD TO BLESS IT.WE ARE ONLY HERE FOR A SHORT TIME ON THIS EARTH AND I BELIEVE HE'S SAYING TO US THAT WE SHOULD GET GOD'S PLAN AND APPROVAL FOR OUR LIVES INSTEAD OF TRYING TO DIRECT THINGS OUR OWN WAY.IN OTHER WORDS, TRADE OUR PLANS FOR HIS PLANS AND BE WILLING TO GIVE UP OUR OWN AGENDA TO DO HIS WILL.

I'VE NOTICED THAT WHEN I SEEK GOD FIRST FOR DIRECTIONS AND GUIDANCE BY COMING HUMBLY BEFORE HIM, THAT'S WHEN I'M BOLD AND CONFIDENT .TO BE HUMBLE IN MY PLANNING WITHOUT BEING INDECISIVE AND WISHY- WASHY IS FOR ME TO GO TO GOD FIRST, TAKE MY PLANS TO HIM AND ASK HIM IF THAT'S WHAT HE'S LEADING ME TO DO.I USUALLY HAVE PEACE ABOUT IT WHEN IT'S OF GOD. WHEN I'M DOING THINGS ON MY OWN, THAT'S WHEN I'M INDECISIVE BECAUSE I HAVE NO PEACE ABOUT IT AND END UP BEING MISERABLE OR FEELING FRUSTRATED.....GOD BLESS....

• 1 month later...

These verses are trying to stop us getting too full of pride or becoming boastful about OUR abilities and desires. BUT rather we are to rely on the Lord to lead. Nothing wrong with being ambitious, but is what WE want what the Lord wants for us?

• 5 weeks later...

James is warning us of becoming full of pride and boastful, Our life is in the

hands of our Heavenly Father, as long as we stay on the path directed by Him we are fine, :lol: but as soon as we waver we are out there to be picked of by the enemy, Not a good thought I might add. :(

THANK YOU LORD JESUS FOR DIRECTING OUR PATH, PLEASE HELP US TO STAY ON THE NARROW PATH, AMEN. :wub:

This verse is especially applicable to me because I am a senior in college this year and I have NO IDEA what I am doing after I graduate. Im not worried about it, though"Which is completely normal and natural. I know the Lord has great plans for me and He will reveal them to me at the proper time. Just like the verse says"If its the Lords will for us to be in this situation we will live this or do that. I only want to do his will for my life" I am not wise enough to plan this life by myself which is why I am so glad I know the Lord at such a young age. Just like Psalm 32:8 says "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go. I will counsel you and watch over you"

I am So Thankful I am not alone in making these decisions. Also, whoever reads this reply, please pray for my heart and mind that I can withstand against the Lies from Satan. Thank you!!!! =)

Ashley

• 11 months later...

James is warning that in making our own plans for the future we are self reliant and not submitting ourselves to Adonai and His plan for our lives.

Humble is submitting yourself to God and His divine authority of you as His creation. When we are led by His Holy Spirit we are sons, guided lovingly by a caring father. There is nothing wishy washy about this as such faith is very courageous.

• 2 months later...
Q1. (4:13-16) What danger is James warning us about in verses 13-16? How can we be humble in our planning without being indecisive and wishy-washy?

The danger of arrogance and presumption. We must realize that we have what we have simply by the grace of God. It is God who gives wealth, It is God who gives us the health to make a living, and it is God who gives us the knowledge to do all that we do. We must also realize that God is the potter and we are the clay. Our ways are not necesarily God's way.

In every plan and commitment we must first look at what is God will. I have had people tell me as they are leaving chursh on Sunday Morning to say "I'll see you tonight, Lord willing" My answer to that is "the Lord is willing". Some things we know to be his will. Whether or not to move to a new location or to take a different job etc. is something that takes prayer and careful consideration. What I want, God may not want, therefore, I must be submissive to HIS WILL not my own.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A) We are warned not to do things our way, not to make abrupt decisions

without seeking God's guidance. God knows exactly what is ahead of us.

We need to stay in God's will.

B) We can be humble in what we do by praying to God and staying in His Will.

We need to keep our focus on God.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (4:13-16) What danger is James warning us about in verses 13-16?

James is warning us about making plans without seeking God's guidance or direction. Many time we make such plans and come up against failure.

How can we be humble in our planning without being indecisive and wishy-washy?

In planning, it is good to put our desired plans before the Lord and allow Him to direct us.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (4:13-16) What danger is James warning us about in verses 13-16? How can we be humble in our planning without being indecisive and wishy-washy?

James is warning us not to be arrogant. We can be humble in our planning by acknowledging God's will in our life and what we are doing. This has nothing to do with being indecisive or wishy-washy.

• 4 months later...

[/quote

James is warning us about being presumptious about our lives and how easy it is to forget that we belong to God. As His we should be focussing on Him not on having our own way all the time. Even Paul made plans to go to places, eg. Rome, but was stopped by God and lead to go somewhere else. We have to acknowledge that God is responsible for giving us each breath we take and so one way we are in control of very little about our lives apart from His mercy.

However this has to be taken with a bit of common sense. If taken to the extreme, life could get silly. We need to commit everything we do to God and be open to Him for His guidance. However we can never use as an excuse the phrase, "God willing" as a get out clause for things we don't want to do. Or do nothing about certain situations where help is needed because we are waiting for God to tell us to do something.

• 3 weeks later...

The dangers we are warned about are:

a)being presumptious (B) Doing everything for ourselves and not according to the will of the Lord © boasting and bragging (d) Self-indulgence (e) Greed (f) Impatience dur to lack of humility

We can be humble in our planning by knowing God's will for us and our lives. We know this by knowing His Holy Spirit and getting to know God more intimately by spending more time in His presence and by being obedient to His calling. We also need to have a goal and be committed to this. We are not to be vague about something for the future. Always bear in mind that God hold our future in His hands, therefore by being patient, we are practising humility.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (4:13-16) What danger is James warning us about in verses 13-16?

James in this part warns about the danger of boasting and bragging. He states the danger in planning ahead the future without giving God the due part in the process. We`do this all the time in that we make future decisions andmake so many plans without even submitting things to God so that He will guide those things..

We can first of all lay all the plans of our future into the caring hands of the maker of our future and trust Him fully to take care of things..When we plan something we have a lot of variables but when we entrust all to God there are no variables and things will work out as God wants them to work out in accordance to His mighty plan and purpose..

• 11 months later...

Q1. (4:13-16)

What danger is James warning us about in verses 13-16?

We are warned about the danger of not consulting God in all our plans. We must realize that our destinies are in His control. Once our decisions are made, we should also determine if they are in compliance with His will.

We should be very careful if we leave God out of our plans and start boasting about our plans for the future. We can sometimes act as if we are the masters of our own fate. We need to humble ourselves before God, acknowledging that He is control. We must also be careful in saying