JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (5:9) What does our grumbling and complaining say about us? About our faith? About our patience?

When we grumble and complain we are stuggling with the trial we are going through. We haven't put our faith into action and our heart resting in the finished work of the cross. We need to push forward and let patience do it's work.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complaining and grumbling about someone tells me that I am making a judgement about this person, not being patient and forgivng for some wrong, real or unreal that I feel has been done to me. It tells me that I do not have the faith in God to please Him in that I am not patiently waiting on Him to correct the problem which in most cases is myself.

• 6 months later...

Grumbling and complaining implies that we are not satisfied with where God has placed us or with what He has given us. It shows that we do not trust that God can take care of us and meet our needs. It indicates that we lack patience to wait for God’s promise of working all things together for our good.

• 1 month later...

I think that grumbling and complaining says that we are not in the love of God. We have removed ourselves from his protection. If we truly loved God then most of the grumbling and complaining would go away. We just need patience and as a rule things will work out.

• 6 months later...

(5:9) What does our grumbling and complaining say about us? About our faith? About our patience?

Seeing as it is God who is sovereign, when we are complaining and grumbling we are really complaining and grumbling about God and His plan for us. God's Word tells us that God always has our best interests in mind, so when hard and painful times come we need to trust in His perfect plan. Thus grumbling and complaining show a lack of faith in the goodness and sovereignty of God. If we instead would be patient, trusting God through the bad times, knowing that He will see us through and that He will use these circumstances to make us more like Him, then we could endure with joy even through the toughest circumstances. This may sound very matter of fact, but we all know that in those times of trial sometimes we feel like we've lost our faith or that we're holding on by the skin of our teeth, but God always proves Himself to be faithful.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (5:9) What does our grumbling and complaining say about us?

We like the children of Israel who always complain

About our faith?

If you have faith when you pray for sick people, they will get well. The Lord will heal them, and if they have sinned, he will forgive them.

About our patience?

be patient until the Lord returns

• 6 months later...

Q4. (5:9) What does our grumbling and complaining say about us? About our faith? About our patience?

It says we're always dissatisfied with our lot in life. It says we're impatient with God to help us through whatever we're facing.

We have to balance our complaining with persistence in prayer though. We're told to persist and God will answer us. So where does consistent praying end, and complaining about our circumstances begin? That's a blurry line. I live under less than ideal circumstances and I confess to actually telling God that I'm sorry I can't pray in faith for His help in a certain circumstance because He's never given me any! Like the man whom Jesus told to have faith when he asked Jesus to heal his child, and he replied I do have faith, help me to have more. I like that translation better than the King James which says: Help thou my unbelief. The man had faith but because he felt his faith tested too much he cried out to God in the person of Jesus for specific help. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The psalmist wrote prayers asking God to remember His promises and to keep them. That wouldn't be in the Bible if we weren't supposed to do that too. I believe we should ask God for Grace and Mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me! That's the Jesus Prayer. Pray it whenever you fell unsafe and insecure.

As a previous answer says, it was a disaster for the Israelites, it got them no where and showed them to be very weak.  It allows arrogance and self interest.  We are judging others and we are told that is not our job.  

• 2 years later...

Grumbling and complaining tells everyone we have no patience to wait on God to solve our problems in life. We are losing our faith in God and blaming him for our problems. We should pray, wait and be patient on the Lord. This is our faith that we trust in him.   

• 1 year later...

Grumbling and complaining says we are stiff necked and immature. It reveals what is in our hearts. Our faith can be hidden behind our grumbling and complaining. Without being submissive to God, we can easily give into the cravings of the flesh. A spiritually mature, patient man rarely grumbles, exhibits faith and is submissive to God.

• 5 months later...
  • Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q28. Complaining
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure where the line is between asking God for something, or to have one's circumstances changed, and complaining. Is what David said complaining?

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?

I can see how complaining isn't true prayer, but can also see that legitimate complaints and petitions can be thought of as complaining, too. Old Jerry above said that complaining suggests a lack of love for God, or a lack of trust in His love, which seems like the deep answer to the question or the ultimate cause of complaining. 

Just thinking through this ...

• 2 weeks later...

Q28. (5:9) 
What does our grumbling and complaining say about us? 
About our faith? 
About our patience?
Our grumbling and complaining shows disrespect towards our Heavenly Father who is sovereign, and in control of everything. While we are groaning, grumbling, and complaining we cannot be joyful and thankful. Even though at times we might find ourselves in difficult circumstances; when we start complaining we can easily fall into sin. We start accusing God, perhaps indirectly, for the misfortunes we receive. We find fault with our fellow believers, blaming them for our troubles; this causes friction and also makes us judge them unjustly, which is contrary to the Royal Law of love. It’s another test of our saving faith by which we and others can determine if we are truly saved. We are to be patient knowing that our Lord will be coming soon; during this time, we can glorify our Him by living our life in obedience to Him, and by staying awake and alert. Trusting our Lord completely, knowing that He is in control and that we should acknowledge the fact that He is the Sustainer of the universe. If God is for us, who can be against us?

Q4. When we complain and grumble we are complaining against God. This shows lack of belief and trust. We must bring our requests and petitions to God with thanksgiving and ask God to help us and He will. Unfortunately I know I tend to complain and then think about laying it before the Lord, this study has made me aware of my sin and what I must do to resolve it. 

On 12/17/2004 at 10:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q28. (James 5:9) What does our grumbling and complaining say about us? About our faith? About our patience?

grumbling and complaining says that i am a self-righteous person, i lack faith and patience for everything i had believed God to change in my life. i take matter into my own hands.

Q28. When we grumble and complain we are really saying we do not trust God. We are dissatisfied with our lot in life and want it to be different. We are veering away from Scripture. I am thinking about Acts 17 which tells us that God has ordained our time here on earth and everything about our lives including the exact places we should live. Therefore we must not complain and grumble as it is the same as complaining against the things of God and saying we are not happy with all He has given to us. We must have patience and trust in God for all He has promised us in the future. Again our complaining shows we are not patient we are ‘ buying into’ the modern way of wanting everything instantly. We need to guard against this as it is easy to be sucked into the ways of the world. Romans 8 v25 says “ But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently “. 

Q28. (James 5:9) What does our grumbling and complaining say about us? Grumbling and complaining says that we are firmly children of the here and now gratification of our worldly desires. About our faith? Our grumbling and complaining means that we do not have faith in God whose word says we must pray believing that we have what we pray for. In other words, when we grumble and complain, this means that we do not believe in God or our faith is dead. About our patience? Grumbling and complaining says that we are firmly impatient.

Q28. (James 5:9) What does our grumbling and complaining say about us? About our faith? About our patience?

Our grumbling/ complaining indicate our impatience and lack of faith in God.

• 2 weeks later...

Q28. (James 5:9)

What does our grumbling and complaining say about us?

About our faith?

About our patience?

It confirms that we don't have much faith or are not practicing our faith.  It shows that we are not satisfied persons. In fact it shows our immaturity. Wanting more or wanting what is denied us. Sometimes it may even be legitimate reasons to complain.  Since we are believers in Christ we ought not to. Rather trust the Lord that He will help us in the situation or alternately change the situation for us.

(James 5:9) What does our grumbling and complaining say about us? About our faith? About our patience?

Our grumbling and complaining shows our impatience and discontent.  Complaining shows our unbelief, distrust and unwillingness to wait on the Lord.

• 4 weeks later...

Our grumbling and complaining says that we don’t have our trust in God. We are always complaining about everything. We are all God’s creatures so if we are grumbling against each other we are grumbling against God. As a rule with patience things will work out.