JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q30. Faith-filled Elders

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (5:14) What is the elders' role in prayer for the sick?

They are to pray for the sick person and annoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. This prayer, made in faith will heal and restore the sick person.

What must be their spiritual qualifications for this ministry of prayer?

First and foremost they must have faith and plenty of it. They must have the faith to believe that God will do the healing they're asking Him to perform. Now don't ask me how to GET that faith if we've never had God perform a healing when we've prayed for a sick person. I'm not an elder, but when I was married I was the head of my household, as the Bible teaches that. My wife suffered headaches, severe headaches. I was a truck driver then and simply had to go to work every day regardless because it was very hard to get a replacement driver for the truck if I didn't go. I'd be almost in tears driving to work, begging God to heal my wife who I knew was in great pain at home . . . and with a toddler to care for as well. Never once did He do that. The headaches always ran their course and sometimes lasted days. Like I said, I have no idea how to get faith. No prior experience at it.

• 5 weeks later...

Q2. (5:14) What is the elders' role in prayer for the sick? What must be their spiritual qualifications for this ministry of prayer?

The role of the elder in praying for the sick is to anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord and to pray for their healing.  Their only spiritual qualification is to have a strong and mature faith and belief that God answers prayer.

Q2. (5:14) What is the elders' role in prayer for the sick? What must be their spiritual qualifications for this ministry of prayer?

The role of the elder in praying for the sick is to anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord and to pray for their healing.  Their only spiritual qualification is to have a strong and mature faith and belief that God answers prayer.

• 2 years later...

James 5:14, the role of the elders is prayer for the sick and they should be mature elders that know the Lord and aren't afraid to ask God of the impossible to do the impossible.

The spiritual gratification for the ministry of prayer must have a mature faith, not afraid to pray for the healing of others, it is a faith that knows the Lord.  

• 1 year later...

The elders’ role is being a mature leader, one whose faith is true and bold. A man whose prayer is effective and powerful. Someone who is open, bold, honest and relational.

• 5 months later...

The elders here need to have enough courage to accept in invitation, listen to the confession, do the anointing, and say the prayers.  Sounds simple, but following through is a different matter.    Acts like these separate the sheep from the goats.  They should also be sanctified enough that their live have some measure of spiritual power.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q30. Faith-filled Elders
  • 1 month later...

It may not be weak faith that hinders healing, but God Himself. WE do not know if it is God’s will for that person to be sick or die or to be healed and live. This is not faithlessness or “not believing in the power of God,” but, rather the opposite, it is submitting our wills and understanding to the power and sovereignty of God by meekly submitting to His will in all circumstances.

God is sovereign. He is sovereign if the elders are men of weak faith. He is sovereign if they are men of tremendous faith. His sovereignty doesn't change. He knows when and who is ill and dying and could heal with or without our prayers, but does not heal in some cases. Ultimately, we pray because we think He will enter into history in response to our prayer. But, really, does God’s will ever change, or seem to change, because of prayer? Or, do we delude ourselves into thinking that the forward motion of God’s unfolding plan slightly veered to the right or left because we asked Him to do this?

The purpose of prayer may be to align our will with His, and not to get Him to do things for us, or to change His mind or the thrust of human history.

• 3 weeks later...

Q30. (5:14) 
What is the elders' role in prayer for the sick?
They are to be spiritually strong men of prayer who can lift up, and strengthen the weak, the sick by the power of God through their prayer. The elders of the church are to be persons of sincerity and soundness in the faith, persons of long standing and experience. They are spiritually mature believers who have the gift and grace of prayer. They must also be capable of giving advice to the sick. One feels that a true elder is a mixture of the divine and the human; created for this specific function by the Holy Spirit (Acts 20:28). Very strong are the energetic prayers of the righteous man. The man who knows the Word of God, and the God of the Word. 

Q30. (James 5:14) What is the elders' role in prayer for the sick? To pray for the sick, anointing them with oil in Jesus’ name.  What must be their spiritual qualifications for this ministry of prayer? Their spiritual qualification is that they must be mature believers who are full of faith, and are best equipped in the congregation to pray "the prayer of faith”.

The elders of the church will have a mature and deep  faith they will have

experience of Christs power working in them so they are eminently suitable backup

to encourage the persons faith who is expecting to be healed therefore the two 

faiths together can help the healing to take place

Q30. (James 5:14) What is the elders’ role in prayer for the sick? What must be their spiritual qualifications for this ministry of prayer?

The elders' are to exercise their faith and ask God to heal the sick. Being a righteous person that prays effectively, who know how to communicate with God.

Q2. The elders role is to pray for and with the sick person and to anoint them with oil. These men are usually older long standing Christians who are Godly men, who are mature in their faith and believe that God is able and willing to heal people. 

Q30. (James 5:14) What is the elders' role in prayer for the sick? What must be their spiritual qualifications for this ministry of prayer?

The elders’ role in prayer for the sick is to have the faith that prays and expects healing to follow. Such elders must be spiritually experienced and full of faith.

Q30. (James 5:14)

What is the elders' role in prayer for the sick?

The elders' role is to pray for the sick and anoint them with oil in the Name of the Lord.

They are to be mature believers in the congregation who 'rule'. Believers one can look up to because of their faith.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the elders’ role in prayer for the sick?

Men/women of great faith called to pray over sick and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.

Mature believers who are full of faith.

• 3 weeks later...

The elders role in praying for the sick is to lead them through prayer and to be an intercessor on their behalf in asking for healing-to guide them through the process in receiving healing from GOD. I am not sur of their spiritual qualifications but they must be patient, long suffering, humble and a fervent prayer.