JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are 

much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress,

and problems. Why is this so? Why was Paul's witness so powerful? What

personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your 

testimony if you handled it right?

1. The help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, will turn out for me having 

good deliverance. It is because for to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

To go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me and growth in Christ.

2. He was determined to obey God and be an example to the others. He wanted

"a movement forward to an improved state, progress, advancement, furtherance."

He knew that God would be his help and that whatever happened,

he would make it through with God’s help. The people saw in Paul the

example of a person who was an unafraid and faithful witness.

3. God has been my help to get as far as I am. He tells me things

that I can do to help my spiritual walk. He lets me know that 

I can make it and he strengthens me.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you are undergoing personal struggle, stress and problems; and you did not mind your problems, but witness Jesus Christ ; this enchorages others and you will be more credible.

Even though he is in prison and in chains, he did not mind his position or his problems,but he is thinking of witnessing the gospel of Christ.

My personal struggle is to know more about the gospel of Christ. To have very good knowledge of the gospel of Christ, so that I can be good witness of Christ.

When you are undergoing personal struggle , stress and problems; and you do not mind these, but witness Jesus Christ; this encourage others and you will be good witness and you will be more credible.

Even though he is in prison and in chains, he is not thinking of his position or his problems, but instead he is thinking and witnessing the gospel of Christ

Not having enough knowledge of the gospel of Christ and struggling to have good knowledge so that I will be a good witness of the gospel of Christ.

Personal stress and problems test and prove what we really believe. If Paul did not have a genuine relationship with Jesus Christ he would have stopped talking about him when he was arrested and perhaps tried to bribe his way out of prison. Instead Paul accepted where he was as part of God's plan and kept sharing the Gospel, even in chains.

My husband has a painful debilitating condition that has left him unable to work and depending on me for many things. I have had to return to the Lord again and again for strength to keep working, take care of him and not get overwhelmed and depressed. Bit by bit Jesus has carried me along. it has helped me learn to trust Him with each day as it comes.

James makes the same comment in James 1:2, that trials are necessary to build us up in faith.

When we face trials and we put these trials in God's hands, then we strengthen our-self in our faith and ultimately advance the Gospel, because the people around us see the steadfastness in us as we meet these trials head-on with God;s help.

I still face trials within my family, big time. But I refuse to buckle under the stress. No one can take away the joy that I experience in Jesus and probably this frustrates my son and his family. 

People around me are aware of my struggles, and because of that I have been able to tell them to trust God at all times and to put these burdens (stresses) at the foot of the Cross.

Q1. (1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so? Why was Paul's witness so powerful? What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

To me, it may not be a good idea to be a creditable witness for Christ. Some circumstances may clutter my mind too much to do this, of course this is typically an attack from Satan. Keeping our mind on other problems would not allow us to have a free mind to witness. Keeping our minds on things that clutter our mind could keep the Holy Spirit from doing his work through us.

Paul's witness was powerful because he had devoted his entire life witnessing for Christ. He allowed God to provide for his daily needs and his faith and devotion in the Lord kept his mind clear for the work of the Holy Spirit.

Personal struggles in my life at the time of witnessing could not help me enhance my testimony at the time. Only after the struggle has been done away with or solved through prayers, could I only use it for a positive testimony to others.  

Q1. (1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so? Why was Paul's witness so powerful? What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right? 

Personal struggles, stress, and problems are human nature.  We are taught that nothing is perfect in this world for we are still residing in this world and what we are experiencing here on earth will be here till Christ's returns to claim His kingdom.  We cannot walk away from struggles, stress, and problems because they are part of our human nature.  But having faith in Jesus Christ makes these bearable as Paul has experienced it in his lifetime.  Even our Lord Jesus Christ went through the same struggles and more during His 33 years on earth. Knowing that He is representing us in prayers on the right side of His Fahter (our God) we know faithfully that He will always be there for us.  In that confidence and faith is what keeps us going while on earth.  Knowing that He is there and will be there when we meet up with Him as He returns in His own timing.

Therefore, we cannot go away from personal struggles, stress, and problems of this world, but we have to face with Jesus Christ as our Savior, Comforter, Provider, and most of all as our King of kings and Lord of lords. 

Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.

Being imprisoned would cause many people to become bitter or to give up, but Paul saw it as one more opportunity to spread the Good News of Christ. Paul realized that his current circumstances weren’t as important as what he did with them. Turning a bad situation into a good one, he reached out to the Roman soldiers who made up the palace guard and encouraged those Christians who were afraid of persecution. We may not be in prison, but we still have plenty of opportunities to be discouraged—times of indecision, financial burdens, family conflict, church conflict, or the loss of our jobs. How we act in such situations will reflect what we believe. Like Paul, look for ways to demonstrate your faith even in bad situations. Whether or not the situation improves, your faith will grow stronger.

Personal struggles in my life at the time of witnessing could not help me enhance my testimony at the time. After the struggle has been done and through prayers, I can only speak positive testimony to others.

From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so?

IT IS SO BECAUSE THESE ARE NORMALLY THE TIME WE DISCARD THAT WHICH IS DISPENSABLE.  Holding on to our faith during trying times indicate that it is because of, not in spite of FAITH that we are strong.

Why was Paul's witness so powerful?

CHAINED TO HIS GUARD. EMPOWERED BY HIS G-O-D---IN THE EYES OF MAN, PAUL IS IN ONE OF THE MOST DEMEANING POSITIONS POSSIBLE.  NOT ONLY PHYSICALLY IMPRISONED BUT PHYSICALLY, CHAINED TO HIS GUARD. EMPOWERED BY HIS G-O-D

What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

ABSTINENCE FROM SELECTED PEOPLE, PLACES, & THING.  ENDURANCE AND SHARING THE GOSPEL TO OTHERS IN THE MIDST OF IT.

From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so?

IT IS SO BECAUSE THESE ARE NORMALLY THE TIME WE DISCARD THAT WHICH IS DISPENSABLE.  Holding on to our faith during trying times indicate that it is because of, not in spite of FAITH that we are strong.

CHAINED TO HIS GUARD. EMPOWERED BY HIS G-O-D---IN THE EYES OF MAN, PAUL IS IN ONE OF THE MOST DEMEANING POSITIONS POSSIBLE.  NOT ONLY PHYSICALLY IMPRISONED BUT PHYSICALLY, CHAINED TO HIS GUARD. EMPOWERED BY HIS G-O-D

What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

ABSTINENCE FROM SELECTED PEOPLE, PLACES, & THINGS.  ENDURANCE AND SHARING THE GOSPEL TO OTHERS IN THE MIDST OF IT.

It's like the person who has never had children telling a parent the way to raise his/her child. When people know that you have faced real struggles in your own life, they are much more willing to listen to anything you might have to say about what you have learned through those struggles. You have an air of authenticity in the things you may say to them. That's one of the advantages of growing older. Your lifetime gives you the opportunity for experience that  you can share with those who may not have had similar experiences yet. In this way, we can learn from the past missteps of others.

Paul had indeed experienced much in his life of struggle and problems. His miraculous conversion to the cause of Christ after being so antithetically opposed to Christianity and the reticence of the Christians to believe in the authenticity of his conversion was only the beginning of his struggles for Christ. I'm sure that if I had been a Roman authority watching this transformation, I would have watched Paul's behavior very closely in order to find something to squelch his enthusiasm for this movement. And that's just what happened to Paul. He suffered much at the hands of both Christians and those who were opposed to Christianity. Therefore, the people in the churches he established could truly believe that his advice to them was worthy of their attention.

It may seem trivial to a lot of people, but I have battled with a food addiction for most of my 70+ years--with varying degrees of success and failure. It has brought me to my knees on more than one occasion. Currently, I am completing a study of Lysa Terkhurst's "Made to Crave" book and videos which has convinced me that my battle is "not with flesh and blood," but with the principalities and powers that would distract me from the purpose for which I was created--to give glory to God. This very Bible study is a part of my desire to give God the glory for all that happens in my life. I am working with my doctor and with friends as well as relying on my loving Father to help me in this struggle. Since March  7, I have dropped 20 pounds and experience the power of God to overcome my weakness in the face of temptation every day. Keeping Him in focus as the main reason for making my physical body healthier is the key to being able to remain in the victory over sin that is mine as a gift since I gave my life to Him. I praise Him every day for the many ways He blesses my life through this struggle.

(1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so?

It's easy enough to be happy

When life goes like a song

But the man worthwhile

Is the man who can smile

When everything goes dead wrong.

This quote is so revealing and true. If you can smile through your woes then you sure have the foundation and grit from the training and faith in the Lord Jesus. As James says in verse 2 of ch 1 " count it pure joy when ........... And 1 Peter 4:16 "if you suffer as a Christian do not be ashamed but praise God that you bear his name ." When Christians are always cheerful and never complaining of their lives and circumstances the world sees they are different. They know they can't really be so happy and that their life is not free from struggles and problems but still they are happy .Their lives emit light ....

Paul's life was such a powerful witness because he realised he was given a mission from the Lord Jesus. He sensed a compelling urge to spread the "Goodnews" because he knew what it meant to be saved. He came to know Jesus as a person and His exemplary life on Earth and selfless sacrifice for mankind. He himself was transformed and he wanted each person to feel that love of Jesus This , along with his desire to prove to the world that life was more than daily ritual made him leave no stone unturned to proclaim Jesus as the Messiah

My life has been like a movie with life grappling situations ...... And believe me NO One knows what's been going on in my life but God. We should be a witness that is tell it to the world but that would ruin my husbands image .... So I know if anyone knows this it will prove to be a wonderful testimony to Christian living. The Lord will give me the crown of life. Hoping that my husband will tell the world some day As of today God has given me that Peace which passes all understanding. Nothing can baffle me or shake my faith in Jesus. All that he does is for my good . I have grown to be a much better person through my trials and can lead others to His saving Grace

The Messenger of the truth must always have his life tested through tribulation.  This is how followers of Christ Jesus can testify the truthfulness of the gospel.

Having said that, personal struggles, stress, and problems are just the necessary ingredients to bring one’s characters to maturity.  The test of Job is an example that all Christians should learn from the Bible.  God allow our life to be tested and the tester is the one mentioned in the book of Job:

Job 1:8  And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

Job 1:9  Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

Job 1:10  Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

Job 1:11  But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

Without difficulties in life, we would not be able to understand the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ, so we would not be able to live and follow Him faithfully.  Without tribulation Christian faith cannot grow strong and taller than any other faiths in the world.

Therefore stress, struggles, difficulties, and dangerous enemies will be sending to us during our lifetime, but they are true blessings for all those who can overcome them.  Jesus Christ our Lord has said:

Mat 10:28  And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Joh 16:33  These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Unfortunately, most Christians today are praying only for prosperity, and easy life.  They all wish to be far away from poverty and all kind of adversities.  But the tester of God is always at their doorsteps to give them the necessary test in due time.  Riches and pleasures he certainly also gives them, but only to take them to the way of perdition, before giving them the deadly blow.

Therefore, being Christians we should only pray for spiritual strength that we may also overcome our own personal struggles, stress and difficulties.  That is how we can carry our cross and follow Christ Jesus.

Mat 16:24  Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

From the standpoint of witness to others, we are much more credible when undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems because those around witnessing what we are going through, also see that our faith is grounded in the Lord our Savior and will encourage them to seek to know Him as we do.

Paul's witness was so powerful because his persecution was great and yet his testimony gave hope.

The personal struggle that I going through that could enhance my testimony if handled right is that of living celibate as a single Christian woman.

From the stand point of witness to others you are more credible when you are undergoing personal struggle

when our foundation is solid and we are rooted and grounded in Christ, no matter what the struggles of life because we know we are anchored in Christ Jesus the we are able to smile at the storm and that is when we are most powerful as christian, as our whole life is the bible for others

so the manner in which we conduct our selves as imitators of Christ is a testimony to others.

so we learn to count it all joy as we fall into diverse temptation according to James 1:2-9  

why was Paul witness so powerful?

Paul was a powerful witness to the gospel because he never loose confident in Christ, he strongly beleived that his imprisonment serve as a means to win souls for the kingdom

From the stand point of witness to others you are more credible when you are undergoing personal struggle

when our foundation is solid and we are rooted and grounded in Christ, no matter what the struggles of life because we know we are anchored in Christ Jesus the we are able to smile at the storm and that is when we are most powerful as christian, as our whole life is the bible for others

so the manner in which we conduct our selves as imitators of Christ is a testimony to others.

so we learn to count it all joy as we fall into diverse temptation according to James 1:2-9  

why was Paul witness so powerful?

Paul was a powerful witness to the gospel because he never loose confident in Christ, he strongly beleived that his imprisonment serve as a means to win souls for the kingdom

When one has experienced struggles, stress and problems, one can relate first hand of the emotions, thoughts, actions and results.

Paul's witness was so powerful because of the experiences he had had,visitations, blindness, floggings, shipwrecks, accusations, threats of life and limb together with personal strife with Judaisers and disgruntled followers.

What personal struggles? I feel i am in the early stages of dementia. How to handle life situations that this condition will bring, but that being "in Christ" is all that I will need.

Answer: We are more credible as a witness when we are undergoing personal struggles, stress and problems because people saw in us how we handle and carry our problem thru out faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. That inspite of being tormented with so much storms and tornados in our life we can still smile and live the life with happiness & joy in our heart thru Jesus Christ.

Answer: Paul's testimony was so powerful because his life was fully surrender to God and that all his hope depends on God alone and that he believes God is working in His life and using it for His glory and honor.

Answer: I would say my **** of the flesh.

Being imprisoned would cause you to become bitter or to give up, but Paul saw it as one more opportunity to spread the Good News of Christ. Paul realized that his current circumstances weren’t as important as what he did with them.

Turning a bad situation into a good one, he reached out to the Roman soldiers who made up the palace guard and encouraged those Christians who were afraid of persecution. We may not be in prison, but we still have plenty of opportunities to be discouraged—times of indecision, financial burdens, family conflict, church conflict, or the loss of our jobs. How we act in such situations will reflect what we believe. Like Paul, look for ways to demonstrate your faith even in bad situations. Whether or not the situation improves, your faith will grow stronger.

I would want to deny my self and follow Christ, Him only not the earthly things 

I don’t think it is so much that we have struggles, stress, and problems as it is how we handle struggles, stress, and problems.  Paul speaks about God and lets people know he is house arrest because he preached the Gospel.  He was bound to a guard and never let alone.  He took advantage of this and preached to his guards.  Additionally, he was a living witness of how one should behave under tribulation.  He witnesses as a prisoner and rejoices that others are preaching the gospel even if their intentions are not good.  Praise God, I am blessed.  At this time, all my needs are met by our Father in heaven.

• 9 months later...
On 3/16/2005 at 10:59 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When people see how you handle and get through your troubles knowing about your faith, that can lead them to Jesus.

They seen what Paul was going through and how he still had so much love for Jesus.

I would hope it would bring people closer to our Lord.

• 9 months later...
On 3/16/2005 at 7:59 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

When when I am going through hard times people see Jesus in me when they see how I handle the trial.  Even when when I fail and have attitude struggles they see us get up and move on with the Lord.  It is when I'm about ready to "throw in the towel" I take another look and see I only have one option and that is to trust Him even when only He is hanging on to me because I only have strength to put one foot in front of the other.  When I get on the other side of the trial there is joy and relief.  People see that we came through the trial better and stronger.  It is so, because God said through Paul that He is strong in my weakness.  I do not understand how it works, but when I feel the weakest He is at work behind the scenes and somehow shows Himself. Paul's witness so powerful because He never stopped showing God's love with people even though he was in prison.  I doubt Paul ever missed an opportunity to share the Gospel.  His audience may change but he never stopped in spite of the fact that he was imprisoned when he wasn't guilty of wrong doing.

Right now I'm off work with worker's comp injury, waiting for Worker's comp to decide what to do with my case.  I would like to be working and not sitting at home doing only things that won't make my injury worse.  Everything is out of my hands though, and I have to trust the Lord that He will work this out one way or another.  I actually feel like a pawn in a gave of chess between my lawyer and the WC company.  I've been at this since May and this is December.  It's been hard to wait, especially on the days I am in less pain and feel I should be working, but my job is a full time job.  I need to be there 40 hours a week not just on days the pain level permits.  So I wait.  My attitude wavers from time to time, I also complain some, but in spite of it all He is working, and I know it, just can't feel it or sense in.  He's gotten me through other rough trials, He'll get me through this.

• 4 years later...

From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so? Why was Paul's witness so powerful? What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

One of my biggest fears, if not my biggest, is that I will be forced to endure what happened to so many in the Bible who drew close to Him, that I’ll be abandoned and left to die a gruesome death, that the God of love will become, to me, a God who turns away when I need Him the most. I confess this fear.

As I read the first chapter of Philippians, I’m struck by how Paul hoped to be delivered in the end … either in life or death. He seemed to think God would deliver him and that he would, in the end, live. He was torn, he says, between desiring life and anticipating his own death. He thought it would be better for the church if he lived.

This did not happen.

Still, God promises to be with us. He promises to not give us more than we can bear. He also tests us and puts us through long periods of suffering to make us stronger in our faith. Paul’s faith must have been very strong at this time as he was so greatly suffering. In spite of Paul's obedience, strong faith, faithful witness and self-giving to others, he died a horrible death.

In public, he could have been wearing his “game face” because he wanted to encourage the young church as well as witness to the Romans. Deep inside, perhaps he felt abandonment. But his testimony was “enhanced,” because he “handled it right.”

We’re to be like Christ. On the cross, Christ’s final words had to do with his abandonment – forsakenness.

Even Christ felt abandoned.

• 1 month later...

When I am undergoing personal problems of any sort, people occasionally ask how I can endure such a thing (meaning trial)?  I believe it is because I can look back over my life and see all the trials I have gone through and know that God loves me and gives me the strength and courage to endure. Paul's witness was powerful because he KNEW beyond a shadow of a doubt who Jesus was (and is) and that people see how he tolerates his situation and hear how Christ reigns. I am always going through something, be it a family concern, a personal financial or mechanical concern or health.  It seems that during the Covid pandemic, something is always breaking down.  Glory to God!