JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Philippians 1:12-30
#
Q). From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so?
A). I am more credible during personal struggles, stress, and problems because others see an example of a person who is an unafraid and faithful witness. (It's more credible to see a sermon than to hear one.)
#
Q). Why was Paul's witness so powerful?
A). Paul's witness was so powerful because he knew that it wasn't about him, but about Christ and his kingdom.
#
Q). What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?
A). I am struggling with stepping out in faith and trusting God to manifest His Spirit in my practical day to day living. As I struggle with stepping out in faith my testimony could be enhanced when I witness to others. My testimony becomes more credible during times of struggle. My success at living in a more practical way can be a testimony to the power of His Spirit being active in the material world. As I exercise my faith in practical ways other people will be encouraged because they will see evidence of Paul's promise:  "...he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ -Philippians 1:6". They will see the blessings that result from living a Christ-Powered life in all my situations.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

question 2-1

Because they[Philippians] saw in Paul the example of a person who was an unafraid and faithful witness. If Paul could be an effective witness in spite of the peril, so could they [Philippians] (notes) In the same fashion we today as we are suffering for our allegiance to Christ can be a symbol of strength to others. But today we, as Christians, are not seen as suffering for Christ. Most non Christians see us as a pampered group. But we need to struggle against the insidious ones who try to undermine our faith.

Paul's witness is so strong because of his faith and trust in Jesus as Lord is so strong and so vibrant that it invigorates those with whom he comes in contact. His sense of the Holy Spirit and its presence in him is so strong that the spirit descends upon those to whom he is in contact and they also become invigorated with the presence and love of God.

Personally I seem to have a strong sense of the Spirit yet it does not seem to be easily transmitted to others. Perhaps my ministry is not strong enough.

• 6 months later...

Q1. (1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so? Why was Paul's witness so powerful? What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

1. During times of struggles and storms in our lives, we tend to draw nigh to our Lord and Savior.  When we draw nigh to Him, He draws nigh to us.  That interaction becomes our testimony.  2. Paul had a personal and up-close interaction with our Lord and Savior.  He had a face to face encounter with “Yahshua”.  That too became his testimony.  3. Too personal to put online.

• 5 months later...

I think that we are more credible as a witness when we are undergoing personal struggles because we know what it is like to be dependent on God. If it weren’t for this dependence then we would be like others and just complain about our situation. But we have a God to cry to and we know that He listens.

Paul’s witness was so powerful because he was always dependent on God and now in his present situation he could see how God working.

I think that we are more credible as a witness when we are undergoing personal struggles because we know what it is like to be dependent on God. If it weren’t for this dependence then we would be like others and just complain about our situation. But we have a God to cry to and we know that He listens.

Paul’s witness was so powerful because he was always dependent on God and now in his present situation he could see how God working.

• 3 weeks later...

When we go through trials courageously, it proves our stance that God is our strength in times of trouble. We speak out of experience that others can relate to. Paul's witness was powerful because even with the limitations of chains, Paul preached the Gospel boldly to the Roman guards watching him.  It inspired others to preach boldly in spite of persecution and hardship. Family reconciliation is what I'm praying through now.

• 6 months later...

When one is undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems the face you present to others and the way you handle your problems show the world who is in charge.  God shines through.  Your faith shines despite your problems. No matter what is going on in your life you handle it with God. Paul's witness was so powerful because his current circumstances were not as important as what he did with them.  His witness for God was the most important thing to him.  Right now in my life I have MS.  I also have cancer.  Yesterday I had surgery for the cancer.  The surgery was quite extensive and more than we thought it would be.  I remember waking up and seeing the nurse and asking her if I was dead.  When she said no I ask what I had left.(what they did not remove)After being put into a bed I was told I was an easy patient.  I told them I was blessed.  They explained what the surgeon had done and I said I am alive!  God is good. In my hospital room last nite were many tears, and much laughter and the Holy Spirit.  We prayed and we talked.

Today before my discharge a new group came into my room and we prayed and talked.  God is good.  Sometimes it takes a struggle or an illness, but he is never far away. 

• 8 months later...

(1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so? Why was Paul's witness so powerful? What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?
Personal struggles, stress, and problems will help our faith to grow stronger. Paul witness was powerful because he reached out to the Roman soldiers and encouraged those Christians that were afraid of persecution.  Many were saved.  He took a bad situation and turned it into a good situation.

From the view of being a witness to others..The greater Your struggles the greater the effect your witnessing has on others.They are amazed at the amount of Faith You have in the face of adversity...and they become inquisitive....Wo is this Man with so much power over You and Your life? They want to know.more about Him..when they see you praising God through sorrow and grief. They want a Love that strong too! It's really powerful.

Pauls witness is so very strong on many levels...because throughout His trials, not only did He keep the faith but He also was able to radiate Christ at the same time. He was able to remain joyful about His circumstances knowing full well God was in charge..even death was joyous to Him because He truly believed He would be with God..When He died so He did not fear it...Paul was able to move out of the temporal and reside in the spiritual ....He personified Christ consciousness through compassion, joy, resolute Trust and unwavering Faith.

With regard to personal struggles..I have endured two immense losses in My life..through Christ I tell people how blessed I am to be called to enter into the sufferings of Christ.. It is when He is closest to us..it's when He wraps His loving arms around us..and calls us to come closer..It's a painful but beautiful process. God calls us to evolve when We suffer..Everything He does is out of Love.

Shalom to the Saints by FAITH in Messiah, Greeting,

1. When you endure the trial, struggle people see that as a strength. If you can make it so can I it gives one hope to be able to get through their situation. They see your faith in action. Yah (God) gives others His strength and power to prove that they can endure till the end if they trust in Him. The one going through the trial, struggle gives others hope.

2. Paul's witness was so powerful because he was in chains, connected at the wrists to a guard and still preached the evangel. For anyone else they would have been intimidated and not opened their mouth. Paul used his situation as a reason to preach the evangel to the one he was held captive to. Each time the guards were changed he used it again and again for the Spirit of Yah to minister to the soul he was ministering to. Then he was strengthened again as people came and went in his cell. There was only one of him but by him taking every advantage to speak the Word to the guards and people that came in and out, families were being converted, people in towns, cities countries were being converted by that one he would send out in accepting the evangel. His preaching started to be duplicated far and wide. It was because of his courage that the evangel was beginning to spread.

3. I can't think of any personnel struggle at this time but the biggest one that left an impact in my life was when my husband was rear-ended in a motor vehicle accident. I woke up the next day to find out I was married to a different man. At first I thought he was in shock and that it would wear off in a few weeks. It didn't. My husband knew something was wrong but couldn't put his finger on it. Our family doctor treated him for depression because he thought he couldn't work support the family so he was depressed, not so. It was very difficult for both of us to cope and it started to wear on our marriage. I had to work three jobs, we had five children and one on the way. I remember coming home one night after one of my jobs going into the bathroom looking in the mirror and hitting myself in the face feeling as though I wanted to be in control of the situation, but my life, family, marriage was out of control and I couldn't do nothing about it. I felt worthlessness and like a piece of glue stretched in every direction, I felt numb. I knew it was the enemy attacking me making me feel useless. I remember coming out of the bathroom wanting to walk out into the blackness of the night. I proceeded to get my coat on bent down to get my shoes on as I got up my eyes came upon my five children pictures

on the wall. Yah said to me, "You can't do what your mother did to you." (My mother abandoned me in the middle of the night when I was three year's old. I slept with her, to find out in the morning she was never to return) I was setting up the same scenario and I vowed when I got married that at all cost I would do anything to keep my family together. Yah was reminding me of the vow I had made. I fell to the floor and cried out to Yah to give me strength to get through this trauma in my life. I got up went to bed and cried all night. The next week

I remember going on a Catholic Women's Retreat, it was for a weekend. The topic was on the suffering of the Messiah. I walked into this Retreat thinking in the flesh I was going to divorce my husband but my heart wanted wisdom understanding, knowledge and unconditional love. As I entered the room I saw a Bible on the end table next to my bed. The Bible was very foreign to me, as I picked it up I opened randomly and it opened to wisdom. Somehow that weekend I knew I was going to get an answer. By the end of the weekend I asked Yah what am I to do? His reply was, "I sent my Son to die for your sins what are you willing to do for your marriage?" I knew He wanted me to die to self, until I became part of my husband's anatomy of knowing who he was and what he was feeling at this time in his life could i know what it was like to be him. The only way I would know was to die to self as Yahshua (Jesus) did for me.

I went home with the attitude I had to rebuild our marriage at all cost. A week later a friend of mine came over and was sharing about her husband having a motorcycle accident. She shared the information with me and i started to cry, everything written was the symptoms I was seeing my husband as having. I went to my doctor and asked that he be sent to a head clinic and be tested, showed him the article. It was now coming up to five years after the accident. He was diagnosed as having a silent brain injury, whip lash, he had cognitive difficulties that is why he felt something was wrong but couldn't figure out why. The doctor was very apologetic, we forgave him understood he really was not in that field to know. At least now we could put the puzzle together as to why there was a personality change. Yah revealed to us in order to mend, fix our marriage we had to die to self and we had to put ourselves on the altar of sacrifice in order for our marriage to live. HalleluYah

Saints there was Hope for us so for anyone going through a marriage crisis, "You can do all things through Messiah who strengthens you."

SHALOM

FAITH

Q1. (1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so? Why was Paul's witness so powerful? What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

A. As in the case of Paul, his courage and boldness despite his chains motivated other Christian brothers to preach boldly too. Purely motivation.

Paul's witness was so powerful because it came out of his life experience and was thus convincing and motivating to the listners.

I don't often take the path of Paul. I know that I should but I will go to flesh and try to handle it. After reading the word on Paul it made me stop and think how disappointing I am to the Father.

To answer the question, I've been going thru a problem with my grandchildren. They keep coming by and then they want to stay. It's always a problem with their mother. Then mom call's and it's them. So I got them together and we all prayed and started picking them up on Sunday's.

Q1 (Phil 1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so?

​When we testify about God's faithfulness and we are hurting or struggling, those hearing see Jesus, and recognize that It's Him that we are relying on to carry us through the stressful or painful trial, rather than that we are just murmuring or complaining about being in a hard place. It gives real credibility to the fact that Jesus is alive....in pain we would not testify to a lie.

Why was Paul's witness so powerful?

​Paul had learned to be content in whatever situation he found himself....whether in plenty or in want, in prison or walking in freedom. He always praised God and glorified Him, pointing others to Jesus in every conversation and situation. The more painful his trial, the more powerful his witness.

What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

​There are many I could share since this has been a season which feels as if a "hornets nest" has been disturbed in our midst! But the one which I think points most ​to Him is that we have been in the wilderness for many years waiting for His promises to be fulfilled, and though faced with aging and hardship I am still trusting Him and believing what He has promised rather than giving in to depression and despair.

Suffering & struggles have & will always capture human attention.  It's fascinating to see someone overcome or work through what looks impossible.  Paul was in chains & encouraged....  (that's good news to me )  I was blessed by God to survive 3 strokes & my testimony always get's others full attention to share the power of God.  David said " It was good that I was afflicted that I may learn your statues"  Affliction strengthens our testimony.  Thank God for our High Priest in Jesus Christ.

When one is undergoing struggles of any kind and standing firm in one’s faith in God, others see this and may also believe.

Paul was an unafraid and faithful witness.

Loneliness.

People watch us to see how we come through our trials.  It is a witness.

Paul witnessed wherever he was and encouraged others to witness where they were.

Good thought.  Perhaps how I take certain illnesses--WITHOUT complaining.........

Q1. (1:12-14) 

From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. 

Why is this so? 

What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

When we think of all Paul had been through, and all the false accusations that were levelled at him, yet he still, despite this, can say that whatever happened to him was really to advance the gospel. 

This is an encouragement to us – if he can do it under all these circumstances, then we under much easier conditions, surely can also. 

His witness is so powerful because this is an example of true Christian living, despite his imprisonment, and all other hardships he endured. 

Even in great adversity he only wanted to spread the good news!

I feel that there is much more I can do for the Lord; not having any of the impairments Paul had. 

It makes one feel that we are under performing and that there is much more that can be done to glorify our Lord. 

Q1. (1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so?

All to the Glory of God.  When we are going through struggles of all kind, we cry out to God for HELP! and we are strengthened by the power of Christ, thus, real strength comes through weaknesses.   We know that these trials and tribulations are for the name of Christ, we become “more than conquerors”, and Christ’s power in us becomes a testimony we can tell others with joy, as we do it unto God. 

Paul’s witness was so powerful because first of all, all the guards knew that Paul was in prison because of his testimony for Christ and not for any crime, he was full of the Holy Ghost, courageous, bold, and faithful in his service to God.  We might be tempted to complain about our difficult situation but not Paul. He knew that it wasn't about him, but about Christ and his kingdom. And so he sees progress rather than difficulties.

Multiple Health problems, aging issues, and medical issues with my granddaughter, who has autism (low functioning).  She was recently hospitalized for renal failure.  I feel helpless and sometimes frustrated, in her situation, as she cannot communicate when she is in pain.  I am with her 24-7 so I get so-o-o tired sometimes but still holding on.

When you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems your witness is stronger because even through you are still going through troubles you still stand on God's word. It is for the advance of the Gospel in showing how strong your belief is in Christ to bring you through. When others see this in you, they want to know why you believe like you do. Your actions speaks clearer than words when witnessing to others. Paul wasn't afraid of what would happen to him because of his belief. He was bold in His witnessing about the Gospel.

When you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems your witness is stronger because even through you are still going through troubles you still stand on God's word. It is for the advance of the Gospel in showing how strong your belief is in Christ to bring you through. When others see this in you, they want to know why you believe like you do. Your actions speaks clearer than words when witnessing to others. Paul wasn't afraid of what would happen to him because of his belief. He was bold in His witnessing about the Gospel.

Paul experience was a first-hand experience that happened at Damascus which some of us never experience in our walk with Christ by faith and work. My conversion from sinner to a faithful servant of Christ happened in Hungry Horse, Montana when I accept Jesus Christ as my Personal Savior.  Paul's witness to the Israel community and those Gentiles in his days were powerful for he shares his testimony from first-hand experience.  He share how Christ met him on the road Damascus and converted him within 3 days.  As for me as Reverend, the struggles, stresses, problems, are there as part of our daily lives; but it is how we deal with it and give it to Jesus Christ to aid us in those areas. And this makes us strong as faithful servants of Jesus Christ.  The one issue that I usually face in my walk with Christ is credibility: giving Christ credits where due.  I sometimes forget that Jesus is Lord and I am only His servant faithfully serving Him.

Paul experience was a first-hand experience that happened at Damascus which some of us never experience in our walk with Christ by faith and work. My conversion from sinner to a faithful servant of Christ happened in Hungry Horse, Montana when I accept Jesus Christ as my Personal Savior.  Paul's witness to the Israel community and those Gentiles in his days were powerful for he shares his testimony from first-hand experience.  He share how Christ met him on the road Damascus and converted him within 3 days.  As for me as Reverend, the struggles, stresses, problems, are there as part of our daily lives; but it is how we deal with it and give it to Jesus Christ to aid us in those areas. And this makes us strong as faithful servants of Jesus Christ.  The one issue that I usually face in my walk with Christ is credibility: giving Christ credits where due.  I sometimes forget that Jesus is Lord and I am only His servant faithfully serving Him.

Q1. (1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are 

much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress,

and problems. Why is this so? Why was Paul's witness so powerful? What

personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your 

testimony if you handled it right?

1. The help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, will turn out for me having 

good deliverance. It is because for to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

To go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me and growth in Christ.

2. He was determined to obey God and be an example to the others. He wanted

"a movement forward to an improved state, progress, advancement, furtherance."

He knew that God would be his help and that whatever happened,

he would make it through with God’s help. The people saw in Paul the

example of a person who was an unafraid and faithful witness.

3. God has been my help to get as far as I am. He tells me things

that I can do to help my spiritual walk. He lets me know that 

I can make it and he strengthens me.