JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so? Why was Paul's witness so powerful? What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

The true test of our faith is not in how we enjoy or handle our successes, but how we handle our trials. We are to suffer as Christ suffered. We ask for an increased faith, that comes through trials. People knew Paul's past, that he had been a great leader with the Pharissees, and the fact that he was suffering and yet loyal and true to God through Jesus said more than any sermon he could have ever gave.

I've have had the loss of my mother this year and two dear friends have moved away and it has been a time of trial, yet I also know that many people know I am a man of faith, watch me carefully to see how I handle it. Granted I could have done better at times, but it's Paul's ministry that encourages me, because he didn't have to be there. He could have been living the "good" life as a Pharisee, he could have wealth and stature, yet he chose to serve God and to be a humble servant. If he would have had made money and fame promoting the gospel, he couldn't have the effect he had on the Roman guards, nor could he have had the faith to endure his time in prison. "Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,..." (1 Peter 4:1)

The greatest witness and the greatest sermon anyone can give is the life they live for Christ, we must walk our talk 100% of the time. That is how we lift up the cross and let Him draw people unto Him.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so? Why was Paul's witness so powerful? What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

I don't have a testimony without first a test. I feel God has helped me through some rough spots just so I can meet another person at their need. Paul was a wonderful witness because he always included himself in every trial. My personal struggles is my health and talking too much about my own pain when I could be counting my blessings.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Our witness is much more credible when we are going through struggles because we can only point to Christ's power in us when we respond to our situation with reliance on his power and glory. The normal worldly response is what most people expect, so it is of the utmost importance that turn our witness to him regardless of our situation.

2. Paul's witness was so powerful because in spite of his current imprisonment he continued to point those that came in contact with him toward the glory of the Lord and his redeeming power. I am sure that the demeanor of most prisoners was encompassed by fear, anger, and hostility, so when these guards faced a person that displayed love and courage by way of his faith in the Lord, they could not help but be in awe of such reliance in God. This was a witness without parallel!

3. Currently, I am going through a rough spot in my church. The current pastor (who is also my father-in-law) has taken a stance on what membership should consist of with respect to service and ministry. He is a very dedicated follower that is unwaivering in his convictions, which is a remarkable thing in today's church body. However, our new church start is still small and fragile and his requirements for church membership, although consistent with those that are sold out to the Lord, run the risk of alienating those that are still growing in the Lord by not allowing them to serve unless they are participating in six areas (discipleship, worship, Bible study on Sunday, prayer on Wednesday's, ministry outside the church, and evangelism). Christ never promised us that our walk would be easy or without struggle, but this is causing some deep divides in our church leadership, of which I am involved. In this case, my testimony would be strengthened by continuing to rely on Christ to work this for his glory and our development as a body. It will also require me to continue being faithful in my current responsibilities without coming to a point of frustration or resentment because I may not see eye to eye with my pastor's stance.

• 1 month later...

It is a privilege to suffer for our faith, something that Paul and the apostles had many opportunities to do. Paul was unafraid, he faced his hardship stoically, and continued to serve the Lord as best he could, whenever he could. People respected the fact that he was willing to lie down his life for his Lord. He became a powerful witness to Christ and his teachings in the gospel.

I have recently come back to the church after almost twenty years. If I could find a way to share the joy and the purpose that I now feel in my life again I to could become a powerful witness for the Lord.Everyone should experience the joy and peace that I have found again with the Lord.

It is a privilege to suffer for our faith, something that Paul and the apostles had many opportunities to do. Paul was unafraid, he faced his hardship stoically, and continued to serve the Lord as best he could, whenever he could. People respected the fact that he was willing to lie down his life for his Lord. He became a powerful witness to Christ and his teachings in the gospel.

I have recently come back to the church after almost twenty years. If I could find a way to share the joy and the purpose that I now feel in my life again I to could become a powerful witness for the Lord.Everyone should experience the joy and peace that I have found again with the Lord.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

people want to see if your actually living out this incredible life we profess. why say things against the world if we are still living in the world system and all of its ways? pauls words lined up with his life. no matter what circumstance good or bad, he was in the spirit.my struggle is for control. all i can do is humble myself and resist and wait. god knows what he is doing so i will trust him.

Q1. (1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so?

We are much more credible when we are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems because we have personal experiences that we can share as we witness the love of Christ and of our God's faithfullness in delivering us, out of the snares of the enemy. When people can identify with you they are more apt to listen to what you have to say and it will encourage them in their spiritual walk.

Why was Paul's witness so powerful?

Paul's witness was so powerful because his experiences for the cause of the gospel was evident where ever he went and in his writings from prison he testified of these.

What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

Right now my personal struggle is being able to witness one on one. When I overcome this struggle it will indeed be a testimony for others who may face a similar struggle.

• 1 month later...

My faith is real to others when I am practicing it during my struggles, stress and problems. Others see what I profess is not just words, but real, applied faith in God. This makes me credible to others in a real way. Paul's witness was so powerful because he stayed the course despite threats to his life.

If I handle it right, my struggle with lustful thoughts and overcoming it would enhance my testimony powerfully.

• 6 months later...

There is a saying that we don't know Christ is all we need until he is all we have. Sometimes it takes falling clear to the bottom to work out way back. From a personal standpoint I can tell you that my struggles have made me a stronger Christian just as it did Paul. My personal struggles involve faith in trusting God through health issues. Others watch us to see how we will react when we claim to have Jesus as our strength and our portion. This is the perfect opportunity to witness without having to say a word. They will know by how we react to things out of our control.

Problems in life really do make us stronger. You will never know if you are honest if you aren't presented the opportunity to steal. I have gone through some terrible personal trials and they were made worse because I thought maybe I could handle them on my own. I couldn't!!! And when I trusted God others saw that in me. That is why Paul's witness was so powerful.

Someone said that people won't always pick up a Bible and that the only Christ they may see is in you. That is a great responsibility.

• 3 months later...

When we are having problems but still cling to the Lord it shows our trust and faith in the Lord. It shows that He is who we depend on and have faith in whether the times are good or bad. Paul's witness was powerful because it showed others that if he could do it, they could too.

• 2 months later...

Credibility increases as the principles of Christianity are applied. You preach that Christ is a "very present help in times of trouble?" Okay, here's trouble, where's the help? Paul demonstrated by his refusal to panic, by his trust in the outcomes, by the breadth of his understanding of God's perfect provision-all situations were win-win for Paul, by his ability to find an advantage and, so God's perspective on his circumstances, strengthened his testimony. I believe strongly that we are pressed into trouble by God's engineering for these very reasons. Contrary to an "easy believism", we are not delivered from the troubles of this world, but to them for the gospel's sake.Likie the majority of Americans right now, we are all faced with inordinate economic stress. the question is, how shall we then live before the viewing eyes of a Godless society? Is our attitude angry, self-pitying, defensive, hopeless? Paul gives us an example of trust and faithfulness when stressed/tried

• 4 weeks later...

We can not be a witness to a personal problem, struggle or stress of, if we have not already experienced it. To share my faith about loosing my only son to a drunk driver at the age of sixteen how i feel, how i struggled with it and the stress of is personal to me . To know that my faith in God was the way that i made it through that trying time. Same as Paul tell about his conversion , his personal struggles , stress and problems while in the Romans jail. Paul knew that his strength to endure came from God through His Son Christ Jesus.

• 6 months later...

Q1. (1:12-14) From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so?

It's in the crucible that others recognize the faith, from the fake. It would be easier to complain about our plight for sympathy's sake, than to proclaim Christ in the midst of our trial, or as in the parable of the sower, to leave when the "heat" comes. There is power in proclaiming Christ, in the midst of pain and suffering, rather than like Job's wife urged, to curse God and die! Paul said "For me to live is Christ and to die is gain".

He was in chains simply because he was a believer and proclaimer of Christ, and the Jewish zealots (of which he was once) wanted to persecute him and have him put to death. Instead, he not only didn't complain, but saw his imprisonment as an opportunity to preach and to prove that Jesus sustains us, no matter what situation we're in. He rejoiced at the privilege of sharing His Lord with his guards, believing that though he would rather go to be with the Lord, he was eager to stay and to strengthen the other believers.He refused to compromise the gospel. A lesser man may have done so and repudiated it so he could be set free.

What personal struggle are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

The loss of business, cars, & home, due to the recession of 1990, and from which we still struggle financially. We have no insurance, no savings, and just enough to live on. We haven't been to a dentist in years, and our teeth are fine. We haven't seen a doctor in years, but we are healthy. We have promises God gave years ago upon which we are standing in faith, and waiting patiently for the provision to come in His timing. Every day we have just enough. We serve in a wonderful church, and I doubt that people who don't know our circumstances, would ever guess how little we have to live on...because the Lord has caused our clothing to not wear out, our old car is a classic and is kept clean and is one of those that seems ageless. We live in an apartment, but so do many people, though we once had a beautiful home. We are content (most of the time!), but when cabin fever sets in, He provides an evening out or a drive someplace which refreshes us. We praise our Lord and thank Him for the opportunites He gives us to share how He continues to sustain us. When my husband went blind and needed eye surgery, we got a phone call from another state from someone who saw an 800 number on t.v. for people who "fell through the cracks" and needed surgery. When I called the 800 number it was for a Doctor not 50 miles away, who did the surgery for free! I cold go on and on. Each difficulty or need has been met with His wonderful, sometimes miraculous intervention and sustaining power.

• 1 month later...

A. I am more credible when I am undergoing personal struggles, etc., because it is while in these situations when I can show the most faith and be a demonstration of faith to others. I can identify with others' struggles and give them an example of strength and faith to follow and exemplify - hopefully. Without these trials, I would not be so compassionate of others' struggles and losses. This also makes me more dependent upon God, which also is an example to others. Like Paul said in v. 14, others may have less fear if they can see how I handle pressing circumstances, stress, and enormous struggles without losing faith and perspective.

B. Paul's witness was powerful to others because he suffered so much and yet he kept the faith, he kept his dependence on God and the promises of the Lord and he kept his proper perspective - God's perspective.

C. I am now struggling to overcome my financial struggles which effect our whole lives. This is my weak area - knowing how to accumulate money (feeling worthy of it?) and what to do with it to keep it coming in sufficiently to support the children. I think I will also always struggle with "normalcy" or how I might define that for myself; appearing 'normal' to others in light of my upbringing and so forth. Confidence, when it comes with some degree of success... I believe will help in all areas of my life. I am not financially successful and so don't have the trials of too much money and what to do with it, but I am working toward financial independence and preparing for the tests that come with having money and honoring God with it.

Because of my unique or individual challenges, I can identify with those who struggle to make ends meet, single parenting, and those with unholy backgrounds and families of origin.

"... that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?" Well, if I can learn to answer ONLY WHAT IS ASKED without volunteering information, this would help. I seem to have some pathetic need to defend myself or seek understanding without really realizing that no one cares - unless they get to know me and care to ask more about me. When they do, then I can answer their specific questions thus surprising them with my strong testimonial of the Lord's work in my life.

If we can witness in spite of our difficulties, it means that we are seeing the bigger picture. It's not all about US. It's about God, and how He can use us anytime anywhere anyhow. It means we are keeping our eyes on the prize... we are running the race FOR Him. We are depending on Him... HIS power, HIS peace, HIS joy to get us through. We don't complain. We don't try to squirm out of it- because there IS a bigger picture. And when people are looking at this, they are seeing the Christ IN us. They know it's not us. It's God IN us. And, that's a credible witness. Christians and nonChristians need to know that we go through hard times. We're just like them, but we know that God is in control- and that makes all the difference. Paul's witness was powerful because he was in prison- perhaps facing his own death, and yet he was keeping his eyes on the prize. He knew where he was going, and he knew that either way- dead or alive, life was good.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (1:12-14)

From the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so?

What personal struggles are you going through that could enhance your testimony if you handled it right?

It is when we ourselves have gone through trials, struggles and fought our battles that we can witness and help others, because then, we are speaking from experience. We have been through the mill and can give good advice to our fellow believers. We know that nothing just happens to us, everything that comes into the life of the child of God comes by divine design. Our lives are divinely ordered. Good health, poor health; prosperity, poverty; all of these God mixes into our lives with a clear blueprint in his mind. And so it was with Paul; it is because of his situation that the gospel was so quickly and widely spread. I thank our Lord that at present I

• 4 months later...

Our real witness is exemplified in how we handle the stress, struggles and problems. People are watching and all we do should be for the glory of God.

Paul was in chains awaiting trial and perhaps execution and yet he advanced the gospel with the Praetorian guards. He entertained guests and carried on his preaching and teaching. So what happened to Paul "served to advance the gospel". Where we might complain about our difficult situation, not Paul who sees opportunities not difficulties.

Paul was an unafraid and faithful witness in spite of peril.

Resolution and action in the face of difficulty in handling church finances and staff could enhance my testimony if handled correctly. I must always remember that I am accountable to God first and remember it is not about me, but Christ and His Kingdom.

• 3 months later...

When we have endured sufferings and have been delivered from those sufferings by Christ - it gives us a greater awareness of the love God has for us as well as His power to deliver us - this causes our witness and testimony to have a greater effect. HEBREWS 10: 32 - 39 NLT. . .32 Think back on those early days when you first learned about Christ. Remember how you remained faithful even though it meant terrible suffering.

33 Sometimes you were exposed to public ridicule and were beaten, and sometimes you helped others who were suffering the same things.

34 You suffered along with those who were thrown into jail, and when all you owned was taken from you, you accepted it with joy. You knew there were better things waiting for you that will last forever.

35 So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. Remember the great reward it brings you!

36 Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God

• 3 weeks later...

If you tell about God when everything is allright, people will say:

9 "Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. 10 "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."

Paul's witness was so powerful because he gave it in chains.

He was in mortal danger but continued his job and took every opportunity.

Besides this, he encouraged free people also to testify.

In my country, people laugh at you when you testify.

Only jehova-witnesses do it on regular base to non-believers.

Paul learned me that being laughed at is nothing compared to his situation.

Nowadays, Dmitri Shestakov is in Uzbek concentration camp for being a pastor.

Just like Paul, he did nothing wrong.

He has a major change of not surviving it but he sees it as an opportunity to witness.

• 4 months later...

When I am going through a personal struggle, stress, or problem others are watching to see how I will handle the problem. That is why our Christian testimony should shine no matter what is going on in our lives, good or bad. We are representatives of Christ. If we are telling others how much He can and will do for us our lives should reflect that testimony. Yes, as humans we will react or handle struggles, stress, and problems like everyone else. After the reaction, we should come to our senses and realize that we have someone who can handle any problems, and when we leave the problem with God everything will come out according to His Will and purpose for our lives. Why, because He only wants the best for us, and that is a promise from God. He will give us the strength to see us through all trials.

Isaiah 55:6-11

• 11 months later...

Q1. (1:12-14) from the standpoint of witness to others, you are much more credible when you are undergoing personal struggles, stress, and problems. Why is this so?

It is sad to say - but to many saved and unsaved people, struggles are not looked upon as coming from God, and may be because of one

• 2 months later...

1a)People are more open in my experience, to listening to us speak about the difference Jesus has made in our lives,because of what we experience illness,stress, bereavement,loss & pain of all types.This shows our faith has been tested,is real & powerful,even in the face of adversity,and therefore worth taking seriously.

b)Paul spoke boldly even when incustody, because he never gave up trust the Lord.He knew his words about Christ would be more powerful because he was persecuted. Sharing strengthen his faith,He enabled Paulto grow through struggles & overcome them.

c)Severe illnesses.They have given me amazing opportunities to witness,show God’s healing power,as need help from others to do many things,learnt humility,dependence on God & patience. :D

• 7 months later...

Our witness is credible to others when we realize that trials and tribulations are common among Christians and that we all experience some form of struggles, stress, or problems. I also believe that the way we handle ourselves when we are experiencing difficult times help give credibility to our witness. Paul’s witness was so powerful because he didn’t complain about his situation and he continued to preach and teach the gospel while he was in chains. He realized that his situation was not as important as spreading the message of the “good news”. He demonstrated his faith by declaring the gospel to those that guarded and visited him. He also wrote many letters such as this one that reached masses of people throughout centuries.

I have a friend who is experiencing something that I have experienced and still am experiencing. Our situations are very similar with few differences. I am able to relate to her situation and tell her about how God is working in my life through my situation and that he is working in hers as well. I also believe that attitude and how one reacts to their trials and tribulations have a huge impact on enhancement of one’s testimony.