JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Work Out Your Salvation

The salvation that is addressed here is sanctification. They are to work out there sanctification not only in themselves, but, unity throughout the whole church and to continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose until Christ comes for His church.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The salvation that is addressed here is sanctification. They are to work out there sanctification not only in themselves, but, unity throughout the whole church and to continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose until Christ comes for His church.

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

Philippians 2:12-13, in this passage the church at Philippi had a lot of discord in it. Paul stress that as a church they are to stop this discord and work things out for the unity of the church. They are to be at peace with love and harmony of the spirit.

This reference of salvation is a command to leave this sin behind that the church was committing by being in disorder with bickering, selfish ambition and a party spirit.

The salvation Paul is referring to here is not a personal salvation.     

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to 

"work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to 

salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is

it referring to?

1. The Philippians to conduct themselves together 

without complaining or arguing (2:14) so they might 

be seen as stars in a dark universe (2:15).  

2. No

3. They are to produce the fruit of their salvation, that is

peace, love, and harmony in the Spirit.

Thank you Dr. Wilson for posting these questions that we need to ponder about and also share it publicly as testimony of our faith in Jesus Christ.  I do appreciate it since it gives us time to think about what we want and need to say to others to express the true meaning of our faith in Jesus Christ.  These questions are important as well as personal.

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"?

In our Bible, it declares that Jesus Christ has done His part. By obeying His Father God in dying for all of our sins only once.  For me, "work out your own salvation" refers to me doing and accomplishing the task with Jesus Christ as my driver.  We have to initiate the doing, but Christ has to be the one guiding us along our path of faith in Him.  As we may all know that we are in war with the Spirit world not a physical world so Jesus Christ is our weapon in securing our salvation. Eventhough, the phrase is saying.. "work out your own salvation", the doing is on our part solely, but the idea is that we have to have Jesus Christ in our heart and soul in order to accomplish this impossible task that no human alone can do, bear, and carry alone. 

Is this referring to salvation from sin?  NO!

If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?  It is referring to our salvation with our personal Savior Jesus Christ.

TO ME, IT IS THE PRELUDE & THE PERSEVERANCE OF SIN BASED ON THE INABILITY TO GENERATE HARMONY AMONG THEMSELVES:  IT IS A THREAT TO THEIR SPIRITUAL SALVATION.

"The Philippians as a body are to work out their problems and come to unity. They are to produce the fruit of their salvation, that is, peace, love, and harmony in the Spirit.  As individuals and a church, they are to work out the implications and lifestyle of salvation in their church community. They have had bickering and selfish ambition, a party spirit. This has to stop! Paul calls on them to obey him in this. They are to work it out "with fear and trembling,"

In this particular passage..." Working out their own salvation" is a call for unity as a whole..in order to represent Christ as light in a dark world..they are called upon to work towards bringing forth the fruit of their salvation....to die to self and embody Christ in order to bring solidarity to the Church..for Christ.. To be Love..to be an example for others to follow...to be truth...

They are to work it out " with fear and trembling" knowing Christ will come again....and on that day they will stand face to face with Him....He has sanctified them as holy members of one body....and they must forgo selfish indulgence and live for Christ to fulfill His will.

In this particular passage..." Working out their own salvation" is a call for unity as a whole..in order to represent Christ as light in a dark world..they are called upon to work towards bringing forth the fruit of their salvation....to die to self and embody Christ in order to bring solidarity to the Church..for Christ.. To be Love..to be an example for others to follow...to be truth...

They are to work it out " with fear and trembling" knowing Christ will come again....and on that day they will stand face to face with Him....He has sanctified them as holy members of one body....and they must forgo selfish indulgence and live for Christ to fulfill His will.

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to? 

“Put into action God’s saving work in your lives,” in light of the preceding exhortation to unity, may mean that the entire church was to work together to rid themselves of divisions and discord. The Philippians Christians needed to be especially careful to obey Christ, now that Paul wasn’t there to continually remind them about what was right. We, too, must be careful about what we believe and how we live, especially when we are on our own. In the absence of cherished Christian leaders, we must focus our attention and devotion even more on Christ so that we won’t be sidetracked.

God has not leave us alone in our struggles to do his will. He wants to come alongside us and be within us to help. God helps us desire to obey him and then gives us the power to do what he wants. The secret to a changed life is to submit to God’s control and let him work. We need to ask God to help us desire to do his will.

To be like Christ, we must train ourselves to think like Christ. To change our desires to be more like Christ’s, we need the power of the indwelling Spirit, the influence of faithful Christians, obedience to God’s Word (not just exposure to it), and sacrificial service. Often it is in doing God’s will that we gain the desire to do it. Do what he wants and trust him to change your desires.

Here Paul is addressing the church as a whole and not an individual. In this context it means to be humble , think yourself less important than others , obey the commandments of God especially the ones relating to "Love others as I have loved you " Live in unity, dissolve differences and be happy as one family

In addition grow from babes in Christ to mature believers and learn to rely and depend on God for everything you need. He wants us to live Philippians 4:19 " my God will supply all my needs according to his riches in Christ Jesus. "" we do not have to strive but just lean on God for everything.

No , it is not referring to the Salvation from sin. That we are incapable of "working out". Salvation is a free gift. Our sin has been washed away just by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. That's it. No more striving or working for it.

It is referring to the community of believers. They should stay united in brotherly love , sharing , caring, adjusting to each other's needs and forgiving and forgetting differences under the Lordship of Jesus Christ. No one else is Head. We shouldn't consider ourselves one above another but remember all are equal .... There is no rich or poor, Jew or Gentile , free or bond servant. , high or low , priest or sinner. No barriers of race colour or creed .... Learn to live as one family adjusting to differences.

• 2 weeks later...

Salvation from sin is a gift. It is not caused by works. "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- not by works, so that no one can boast." (Eph. 2:8-9, NIV). "Working out your salvation in fear and trembling" means not to lose sight of what God is doing in their lives as the Holy Spirit gradually changes their hearts to be in line with God's purposes. For God to change your life you have to keep focused on His Presence in your life and not let the things of the world drown out His voice. That is why I am blessed to be part of this Bible study.

(2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

Sanctification is a process of walking with Christ that purges sin from our lives.  Work out your own salvation seems to speak to the whole body & individuals to be sanctified daily.

• 9 months later...
On 4/15/2005 at 9:23 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

To show Jesus in you to others, the fruit of the spirit. 

No I don't believe it is talking about sin. I believe it is telling us to work together get along in love.

• 5 years later...

Until now, I assumed that this passage referred to something we do as individuals -- it never occurred to me that it had to do with the church -- particularly the clause which reads, " ... it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose."

I assumed God was working in ME, not the church. I personalized this verse.

But Pastor Ralph clearly believes it is for the church, (does this mean that aspects of salvation are corporate, not individual?)  The "YOU" who works out YOUR own salvation, is the church. It refers back to the "my dear friends" and has a nominative plural ending in the Koine.

The implications of this are troubling, to say the least.

• 2 months later...

We must stay focused, being sure what the goal is, not allowing ourselves to stray. God knows our hearts and to please Him, we do His will alone, with friends and family and in the church.  This does not give us the freedom to sin, as we will suffer the consequences.  It gives us the freedom from the eternal consequences of sin when Jesus Christ returns.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Work Out Your Salvation