JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Work Out Your Salvation

Working out your own salvation means for the church as a body to work out their problems and come to unity. As believers,we are not to give in to the desires of the flesh,but rather we are to seek the fruit of the Spirit: love,joy,

patience,etc.

This is not salvation from sin. Only Jesus can accomplish that. No amount of good works can ever make us righteous before God.

Salvation from sin is a one time deal. Once you have repented of sin and accepted Jesus as Savior,you are forever saved from punishment in hell.

Working out your salvation is in ongoing thing,which continues until we die or until Jesus returns.

When we become saved,we are no longer under the penalty of sin,however we still must struggle with the presense of sin. Working out our own salvation means we choose to say 'no' to sin's tempation and to say 'yes' to what God would have us do. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"?

Salvation is cool in the way that it is a gift given when we accept Jesus as our savour but it also is a way of life that we have to live. I think that's what he's talking about.

Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

Above

In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"?

Can not depend on anyone to help oneself make things right with God. Can not be responsible for anyone to make things right with God. God knows each of our hearts and works with each of us individually. We alone can make things right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

it means to me that we in our churches shouldn't be fighting among our selves. To get angry,upset and put down. it means to help,fellowship and worship to gether in christ Jesus. To be perpared for the Return of Jesus as a body. To reach out to each other and be sisters and brothers to each other in Jesus.

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"?

I believe Paul is asking the Philippian church to corporately bring the reality of their salvation into their daily workings. He just finished using Christ as the example of humility in the previous verses and he then goes on to say that we need to work out our own salvation. He is calling for that same kind of humility in loving and serving one another as we consider our present state of sanctification.

Is this referring to salvation from sin?

Yes and no! I think as we mature in our faith, it is the salvation from sin that works our sanctification.

Deep huh?

What I mean is that as we mature in our faith, the precious reality of our initial salvation becomes dearer and dearer to us, and that growing love and appreciation for what has been done by Christ on our behalf begets growth. We cease from selfishness and begin to serve humbly out of love for and gratitude to Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

AS BELIEVERS, WE BELIEVE OUR SINS ARE FORGIVEN.I PRESENTED MYSELF TO JESUS,REPENTING OF MY SINS,ASKING FORGIVNESS,RECEIVING SALVATION.JESUS LIVES IN ME.NOW I FACE THE SINFUL WORLD.TEMPTATIONS ARE STILL THERE.I MUST "WORK OUT MY SALVATION.I TOO MUST BE CAREFUL ABOUT WHAT I BELIEVE AND HOW I LIVE.I MUST FOCUS ON CHRIST JESUS SO I WONT BE SIDETRACKED.GOD HAS NOT LEFT ME ALONE IN MY STRUGGLES.GOD IS WITH ME ALWAYS.I ALSO BELIEVE PAUL SPEAKS TO US AS A CHURCH.THE CHURCH WORKS TOGETHER AS A WHOLE(UNITY).

• 3 weeks later...
:rolleyes: 2:18- Q1- We first have to observe it is our duty to make a personal effort to secure Salvation or to work out our Salvation. God commands it,and its our duty,because the Salvation of the Soul will not take care of itself without an effort on our part.- WHY ?- Because of the Temptations and allurements of this World. We must work at our Salvation everyday,by doing Gods Work, which must be carried out by ourselves. AMEN.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

Growing in the fruit of the Spirit

• 1 month later...

I BELIEVE PAUL IS REFERRING TO WORKING OUT THE HINDRANCES AND OBSTACLES TO UNITY IN THE CHURCH SO THAT THEY COULD ALL GROW AND MATURE DAILY AND BEAR THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT IN THEIR LIVES. THIS IS NOT SALVATION FROM SIN BUT RATHER SANCIFICATION TO LIVE THE CHRISTIAN LIFE SO THAT WE CAN BECOME MORE AND MORE LIKE CHRIST DAILY.I THINK HE'S REFERRING TO US AS CHRISTIANS THAT WE SHOULD HANDLE OUR DIFFERENCES IN A MATURE AND KIND SPIRIT OF LOVE TOWARD THE BRETHREN ALWAYS....GOD BLESS......

• 9 months later...

All of Paul's letter were addressed to the church. He may have had to deal with individual situations within the church but just the same, it was the church that had to work out the problem as a body of believers. This is not addressing sin, rather it is going after our need for sanctification, to grow into the image of Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (2:12-13). In this passage, what does it mean to "work out your own salvation"? Is this referring to salvation from sin? If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

When Christ is truly in us we our delivered from the penalty of sin, we are still sinners because we still have the tendancies from Adam (the flesh), yet as we work out our own salvation it is by allowing God to work in us. We must continue to seek the spritual food that God offers us, not the temporal food. Our works can never save us, but the works through Christ will. Good works are a product of our salvation, not a means to it. Our deliverance from the "death penalty" comes through our relationship with God, not by birth or church affiliation.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

work out the implications and lifestyle of salvation in the church community, with fear and trembling as in God's presence (with humility and complete reliance on God).

it is not salvation from sin. it is sanctification....becoming more like Christ and leaving sins behind.

• 2 weeks later...

"work out your own salvation" refers to the Body of Christ doing that which will bring peace and harmony among themselves. Getting rid of sinful thoughts and actions that may cause disunity.

No, it does not refer to salvation from sin. Jesus Christ paid the price for our salvation when He was crucified on the cross.

If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

This is referring to the saints living according to the lifestyle of salvation which dictates a community in harmony showing the love of Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

i think he is telling us this is where the rubber meets the road. as we learn about christ, his life must manifest itself through us for others around us. its not necessarily for us but we benifit from this as well. in a way, it does save us from sinning. as we walk this life we want to represent christ the best we can, so yep we sin less as we walk in righteousness more.

• 1 month later...

Hi, my name is Parc Sen and I am the founder of the Stone Cutters Ministry. You can visit my website at http://www.stonecuttersministry.org . I have recently written an article on this subject: "Working out your salvation". You may want to read it. I'm sure you will find it refreshing. http://www.stonecuttersministry.org/articl...ursalvation.htm

The salvation spoken in this passage is not of the soul, but deliverance from the snares which would hinder the Christian or the body of Christ from the doing the will of God. The Philippians had a unity problem and in this passage salvation means the solution of the problem of disunity and contention that was vexing the Philippians.

• 6 months later...

The context of this 'working out' is one of obedience, with Jesus being the example. And considering that his example was one where he gave up everything, and was brutally tortured and killed, and all in obedience to his loving Father, then how should we think that our salvation should be any better? We should consider the horrible nature of God in 'fear and trembling'. I don't mean that God is horrible in the 'horror' sense of the word, but in the sense that we just simply don't know how far he will go in our lives to purify us from sin. I would be scared to think what he might to do me in order to purge the evil from my life, and bring me closer to the likeness of his son. It would be worth it to be saved from the life of sin that I live, but it wouldn't be easy on my mortal senses.

And I believe that this is salvation from sin. Maybe not eternal salvation, but purifying salvation. To escape from the grip and grasp of daily sin, and to be clarified in my obedience and reflection of Christ in my life. How dare I think that my mortal body will give these things up very easily? It will be messy, and violent, perhaps even frightening to my dirty soul to have the light of Christ shining in dark places. And if I don't let Christ have his way? That's even worse...to be out of the will of a Holy God. I would rather not think about it. But rather, let me rejoice in his ever present grace which has saved me no matter what, and let me give my life to him on a daily basis, and see how he changes me for his glory.

Amen.

I think it means as Christians we still have many obstacles thrown in our path, not the least is getting along with others in our church family. I think Paul was saying we have to work together for "good".

No, this isn't salvation from sin.

This salvation I believe is our becoming more and more like Jesus as he planned for us as we work along with our church family to do God's will.

God worked out our salvation at the cross. However, we are left to surrender and be obedient to him. Because he is in us, we can work on ourselves to become as much like him as we can.

No, I don't believe this means sin. This just means daily taking up our cross and following Jesus and doing all we can to strengthen our hearts while following him. We are to respond to his grace.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

To "work out your own salvation", In this passage, Paul to me is saying to the Phippians as well so to me , Stay delivered unto God righteousness speaking out and up on His behalf and continue developing in your every day walk toward The Righteousness of God , Working with a goal in mind to fully complete with serious caution, tenderness of conscience, watchfulness against temptation, timidly shrinking from what ever might offend God and discredit the name of Christ. Yes this is referring to salvation from sin.

• 6 months later...

I had missed the "church" context of this verse in all the times I've read it. I always thought it was just for me as an individual, and since I was saved, am being saved and will be saved "At that day", that I was to remember a healthy balance between God's goodness and His severity, as stated in Romans 11:13-22, and continue to live in His Grace, surrendered, allowing Him to complete His work in me. Dr. Wilson points out that it's to the Philippian church Paul is speaking, and the verse means for the church to work out their disunity and infighting and maintain harmonious relationships within the church.

No, that was taken care of when we received Christ as our Savior. We live in a state of grace, in which we are continually forgiven when sins are confessed and repented of.

If not, what kind of salvation is it referring to?

The walking out of all that we as Christians have been called to live out, individually and as a Church, corporately.

I think Paul is reminding the readers that while God is love and grace and mercy, He also doesn't "play around" with our lives, and neither should we. We are to live in union with Christ as our first priority, and to walk humbly before our God, and to be as serious about our faith, as He is in growing us up into His image.