JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Righteousness through Faith

(3:9) How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance? How seriously does righteousness by law observance infect your congregation? Society's view of Christianity in general? Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?

• 1.  Righteousness under law considers a person righteous because of his or her own upright behavior. Righteousness by faith, considers a person righteous because God has declared it so, and as judge considers a person so.  2. [saturday Bible study] It doesn’t, we understand righteousness by faith. We had a thorough study in Romans and Corinthians. 3.  I don’t feel comfortable answering for society as a whole. 4.  Because many people have not been taught the truth, they think they have to work their way into righteousness.  They don’t understand that righteousness was imputed unto us.  [Romans 4:11 (KJV) -  And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:]  [Romans 3:22 (KJV) - Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:] [Romans 10:4 (KJV) - For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone that believeth.][ 1 Corinthians 1:30 (KJV) - But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:]

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Righteousness obtained through law observance is one that you do on your own. It is trying to do what the law says that makes you righteous. But righteousness obtained by faith is trusting in Jesus to forgive you your sins. If you know Him you can put all our problems on Him.

A righteousness by law infects the congregation by you knowing that what should be done should be done by everybody in the congregation. Then since they are not doing it you can judge them for not doing the right thing even through you don’t know their circumstance. That is why it is so difficult to grasp that the concept of justification or righteousness by faith so hard to grasp because you have to know that persons heart in order to judge that person. That is why we are told not to judge others.

• 4 weeks later...

Righteousness obtained through faith is a gift received from God by faith; it is not based on our behaviour or obervance of the law.  It is easy in the church to just concentrate on our behaviour instead of our heart condition before the Lord. Society views Christians as people who are against things, and who can't do certain things like drink and dance. Instead, they should see us loving, authentic people. Justification by faith is difficult to understand, because by nature we want to prove we are good. We want to show we are worthy. That we are nice people.  That we have our act together, and that we can make things better by our own efforts.  In reality, we need God's help and redemption to keep us from destroying ourselves.

• 1 year later...

Righteousness by law is dependent on what we do--our behavior. Righteousness by faith is looking to Jesus to be covered in His righteousness--not doing but being.

It really doesn't much, praise God!

Society in general want to earn their salvation--righteousness by deeds.

We all seem to think we need to do something--or it isn't real.....

If we believe in righteousness through the law, we are in bondage. It means that we have to do good and follow the law to be righteous, so we become righteous through works of our own doing.

Righteousness through faith, is, after confessing our sins and accepting Christ as our Savior, believing that He died for our sins, we become righteous by the shed blood on the Cross.

We cannot become righteous on our own deeds; Jesus came to abolish the law, He fulfilled the law, therefore, we have been saved by grace, by His love for us.

It may be difficult to understand for a new believer, or sometimes even for older believers, because of our upbringing, we have tunnel vision. We go by what we were taught. We need to study and through study this becomes very clear. It will also be difficult to understand if we trust a legalistic church or belong to a legalistic church.

It is difficult for the one who is "stuck" through old beliefs. We need to renew our mind and then it all becomes clear.

I know I am righteous by faith. Abraham was righteous by faith. The law was not established in his time. (Romans 4:4; Genesis 15:6)

Q3. (3:9) 

How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance? 

How seriously does righteousness by law observance infect your congregation? 

Society's view of Christianity in general? 

Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?

The righteousness obtained through the law is a ‘do-it-yourself’ type of righteousness; it is through self-effort or personal good works.

It is like issuing ourselves with a ‘certificate of good behaviour’, and for all practical purposes has no value before God. 

We can never hope to live a life without sinning.

In contrast, the righteousness obtained on the basis of faith is the means of receiving the gracious free gift of righteousness.

We accept that this righteousness comes to us through our Lord Jesus’ death on the Cross for our sins.

We abandon works and efforts and we stop trying to save ourselves.

I think it is so difficult for us to handover all to Jesus, we want to be in control and the world as such does not see Jesus as their Lord and Saviour.

Besides the world is so hostile and rebellious towards God (Romans 8:7), that the concept of righteousness is totally foreign to them. 

Righteousness obtained through Faith differs greatly from righteousness obtained through law observance'

The latter is a form of self righteousness....centred on self which one could attain outside of Christ...because the righteousness Paul confesses He has is from God which is borne from our Faith in Christ Jesus....which is of the spirit and not of self. It is through relationship with Christ that we learn this knowledge.

The concept of justification by Faith is difficult to grasp for so many because of ego or doctrinations that are in a lot of Churches today...People tend to be lazy when it comes to Christ...Paul is a beautiful example for us to follow...We must COMPLETLEY die to self..in order to truly enter into intimate relationship with Christ and that way fully surrendered

to the absolute truth of being saved, sanctified and made righteous by His precious Blood.

It is true that all who believe in Christ Jesus have their sins forgiven and inherit the righteousness of Him, but is it true that by a simple declaration with a few words and be baptised that we definitely obtain the free pass to enter the Kingdom of Heaven?

Confessing our sins is not merely asking God for His forgiveness, true repentance is the hard condition and the prerequisite of our salvation.  No one can enter the Kingdom of Heaven by simply declaring their faith in Jesus Christ and continuing with their old way of life.

Jesus has said:

Mat 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Mat 7:22  Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Mat 7:23  And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

And Paul has also said:

Rom 6:1  What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?

Rom 6:2  God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Rom 6:13  Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Rom 6:14  For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Rom 6:15  What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Rom 6:16  Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

Rom 6:17  But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Rom 6:18  Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

How can we avoid sin if we do away with the law of God?  How can we repent from our old sinful way of life if we suppress the law of God?  Who allow us to do away God’s law?  Did Jesus abolish the law?  No!  Did the apostles abolish the law? No!

Mat 5:17  Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Mat 5:18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Mat 5:19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Act 24:14  But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:

Rom 2:11  For there is no respect of persons with God.

Rom 2:12  For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

Rom 2:13  (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Rom 2:14  For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Rom 2:15  Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

Rom 2:16  In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Indeed, we, the repented gentiles, are the law bearers in our hearts and our mind.  The Mosaic laws have been fulfilled by Jesus Christ, but the ten commandments of God remain as the perpetual law that we must obey and keep them in our hearts and mind.  Though we are not saved by keeping God’s commandments but we still keep them as an expression of love for God our Father in heaven.  It is by God’s commandments that we make our true repentance; it is also by them we know how not to fall into sin again, and how to do His holy will.

The false doctrine of Christian churches is deceiving the believers that they are saved by grace and they can do away with God’s perpetual commandments.

Righteousness obtained through the law is when you are found guilty of a crime you commit and got to serve time and released after time is served, he paid his debt to society and is free. Righteousness released through faith is when you believe Christ came to die for the sins of the entire world by the shedding of His blood. Everyone has different views and opinions. It would be difficult to nonbelievers because you got to be born again to understand.

Righteousness obtained through the law is when you are found guilty of a crime you commit and got to serve time and released after time is served, he paid his debt to society and is free. Righteousness released through faith is when you believe Christ came to die for the sins of the entire world by the shedding of His blood. Everyone has different views and opinions. It would be difficult to nonbelievers because you got to be born again to understand.

Q3. (3:9) How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance? How seriously does righteousness by law observance infect your congregation? Society's view of Christianity in general? Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?

Righteousness through faith which is given to us by God for our faith in Jesus Christ work on the cross. If we believe in Christ that he bore our sins on the cross, then through God's mercy and grace we are forgiven of our sins and we are justified. Righteousness obtained through the law depends totally on our works by observing the law. This is a self righteousness and does not give us eternal life.

Righteousness through observance of the law does not infect our congregation. Our faith is in Christ and him alone.

Societies view of Christianity in general see's the faith based belief as a false religion.

Justification or righteousness by faith is hard to grasp. Most all religion's and beliefs in the world all depend on human righteousness to achieve eternal life or perfection. It is very hard for them to grasp that God send his son to die for us. Most all do not believe in a triune God.    

Shalom to the Saints by Faith in Messiah Yahshua.

GREETINGS,

1. Law observance is like being a Pharasee or Saducee. Do as I say not as I do. That is being law observant.

Righteousness through Faith is a heart change: not by works but by example trusting Yah in all things and waiting on Him to guide and direct our life.

In Rom. 2:14,15. "Shew the work of the law written in their heart's their conscience also bearing witness and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another."

In Jer. 31:31-35 Tells us the law was written on our heart's, so heart is the conscience to know right and wrong. But Yah gave man a free will to accuse or excuse it, even our thoughts.

In and of myself I can do nothing. Yahshua only said and did what the Father told Him. I watched a movie where Yahshua spoke only Scripture to people, can you imagine doing that to people? That would be so awesome.

2. Our assembly walks by Faith not by sight. Concerning the law we are obedient to it. All what the law means is instructions. Whatever Yah commands us to do in the old covenant, for it is the foundation of our faith. When Yah says in His Word we are to be obedient to all "GENERATIONS, FOREVER," He means just that. In regards to His commands in the Old Covenant it doesn't mean it washes it out in the New Covenant by saying the law has been done away with. A command is a command. And we are to be obedient to it. He would rather obedience than sacrifice. Yes Yahshua was the once and for all sacrifice but that does not mean He abolished the Old Testament commands for His generations and it was to be obeyed forever.

3. Society on the whole is anti-God. They like to be independent of any law and make their own laws. Some say they are better than Christians because they see Christians as hypocrites.

John 14:17-19 "Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it see th him not, neither knoweth him; but ye know him; for he

dwealth with you and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, the world seeth me no more, but ye see me because I live, ye shall live also."

4. It easy to follow a system than a faith. Religion is a system of see me? But no inward change. All words but no action.

To walk by Faith means to totally depend on Yah. Many are too impatient and miss the blessing. They want answers here and now, where walking by Faith means you have to wait on Yah.

FEED YOUR FAITH AND YOUR DOUBTS WILL STARVE TO DEATH.

FAITH IS SEEING LIGHT WITH YOUR HEART WHEN ALL YOU SEE IS DARKNESS.

BE ON GUARD

STAND FIRM IN THE FAITH

BE COURAGEOUS

BE STRONG

AND DO EVERYTHING IN LOVE

WITH MUCH LOVE IN MESSIAH

FAITH.

Q3. (3:9) How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance? How seriously does righteousness by law observance infect your congregation? Society's view of Christianity in general? Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?

Rigteousnes obtained by faith in Jesus Christ is obtained from God by believing that God sent His only begotten Son to die for our sin and confess so with our mouths. On the other hand righteousness obtained by keeping the law is what Judaizers believe, that salvation is found from keeping the law.

Righteousness by faith is a difficult concept because it is a spiritual fact that is understood only through the illumination of the HolySpirit. The human mind wonders why and how someone else can take away some one else's sin.

Q3. (3:9) How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance? How seriously does righteousness by law observance infect your congregation? Society's view of Christianity in general? Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?​

Righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through the law observance because it is based on tradition; a person's action based on obedience to what is the tradition of his community rather than believing and living by the Word of God, who will declare the person righteous because of their belief.

Many more will be saved in our society when they see by the demonstration of faith and belief in God, the wonderful miracles that He will do.  When we crucify the flesh and let o and let God, we will begin the process of trusting fully on the Only Eternal, All Powerful Alpha nd Omega whose arm is extended to receive us always.

Q3. (3:9) How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from

righteousness obtained through law observance? How seriously does 

righteousness by law observance infect your congregation? Society's 

view of Christianity in general? Why is this concept of justification 

or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?

1. Righteousness under law considers a person righteous because of his or 

her own upright behavior. Righteousness by faith, considers a person 

righteous because God has declared it so and as judge considers a person so.

2. own laws. A congregation is confused and have no unity when this occurs.

3. Having a righteousness of one’s own that comes from the law means to do good

and everything in one’s heart is good.God to church on Sunday, participate in

church activities and treat everyone nice.

4. Their faith is weakThe core of the Christian faith is that we have to believe 

Jesus died for our sins on the cross and was raised from the dead for our 

salvation and people do not want to believe it. It is a lack of interest and knowledge.  

No amount of law keeping, self-improvement, discipline, or religious effort can make us right with God. Righteousness comes only from God. We are made righteous (receive right standing with him) by trusting in Christ. He exchanges our sin and shortcomings for his complete righteousness.

Paul gave up everything—family, friendship, and freedom—in order to know Christ and his resurrection power. We, too, have access to this knowledge and this power, but we may have to make sacrifices to enjoy it fully. What are you willing to give up in order to know Christ? A crowded schedule in order to set aside a few minutes each day for prayer and Bible study? Your friend’s approval? Some of your plans or pleasures? Whatever it is, knowing Christ is more than worth the sacrifice.

Righteousness under law considers a person righteous because of his or her own upright behavior. Righteousness by faith, considers a person righteous because God has declared it so and as judge considers a person so.

This concept of justification or righteousness by faith is difficult to grasp because its hard for people to believe why anyone else and how any one else could take my sin and who would do that.  Its hard to believe that I do not have to bear the consequences of my own sin.

In verse 9 of our text, it talks about Righteousness through our faith.  Just by work, we cannot get salvation to heaven, but by faith through Jesus Christ.    John 14:6 said.. Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  Some believers think that by allowing Christ to be our LORD and SAVIOR we don't get to enjoy the beauty of live. For me, the beauty is there since the price will be obtained when we get to heaven and our Jesus Christ will say, "I don't know you."  What would I say if I hear Him say this to me.  He is our Justification and Salvation.   By giving our complete lives to Him secure our eternal life with Him forever (Eternity).  We are human and if we don't believe in the diety of Jesus Christ, then the concept of justification or righteousness would be just foreign words to us and our lives.

Q3. (3:9) How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance?

Answer: Righteousness obtained through faith is when you believed that Jesus Christ died for your sin and you accepted Him as the Lord and Savior of your life while righteousness obtained through Law Observance is when you only follow the law minus Jesus Christ as your personal savior.

How seriously does righteousness by law observance infect your congregation?

Answer: By gods grace, brethren believed in righteousness obtained through faith. 

Society's view of Christianity in general?

Answer: SInce Philippines has a big number of Roman Catholic believer, they believe that it is just the same.

Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?

Answer: I believe that it is difficult to grasp for those whose name is not written in the book of life, but for us Christian who are called as Gods chosen people, by Gods grace, Holy Spirit gave us wisdom to fully understand it.

Righteousness obtained by law observance required an unobtainable standard of sinlessness where as righteousness by faith,belief,trust is the core of the Christian way. Jesus Christ died for our sins so we could become of 'right standing" with God through faith, belief, trust.

The concept of justification by faith is difficult to understand because we find it so incredible that someone, let alone God, would take our sins upon Himself. To take our punishment. 

• 9 months later...
On 4/18/2005 at 11:54 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Righteousness through faith is because of God and he considers it so. Righteousness through law is because of his or her own behavior.

Very much so that is what most believe. No understanding so they believe what they think is true. I don't think they can grasp that God cares personally for them, that it's just about how good or bad they are.

• 5 years later...

I've known a lot of Jews who "religiously" observed hundreds of rituals, getting up every morning to put a box with a verse in it on their head -- tefellin -- eating kosher food, going to synagogue every morning so a "minion" of men can chant in unison ... etc. I don't think they thought of the law as giving them righteousness even though some of them were arrogant and looked down on Christians. Rather, they considered themselves "observant" and therefore good enough. In fact, the entire Chabad movement -- orthodox Jews -- is an attempt to reel in secular Jews bit by bit, by teaching them how to do the rituals and then telling them that a ritual done once is better than a ritual never done. The majority of American Jews are secular.

So, a little bit of observance is not as good as frequent observances of rituals, but, well, God judges on a sliding scale. Just being a Jew is the only ticket to God needed. They don't think they have to be made right with God for they were born Jews and that's all God wants  (... though keeping kosher would be nice ... and making sure the kid is circumcised on day eight is nice... and having a fancy Bat/Bas/Bar Mitzvah ceremony is lots of fun...)

What I'm trying to say -- poorly, sorry! -- is that they don't have that binary attitude of righteousness and justification that Paul describes in the Bible. They don't think you're saved or unsaved by the law, but somewhere on a continuum. Being a Jew is their ticket to God and a secular or non-practicing Jew is still a Jew before God.

I think this is why secularists have such a difficult time understanding the Christian belief of making a decision for Christ, which, after that moment, fundamentally changes our lives. Sanctification is gradual, true, but we're either saved or not saved, and such a dichotomy is a stumbling block to many outsiders to Christian faith.

--

Society tends to judge Christians harshly as hypocrites because to the secular mind, a Christian cannot sin ... which doesn't make sense, but their expectation of Christians is artificially high so they can justify their own rejection of God.