JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Hallowed Be Thy Name

when we are praying to the Father, we pray with all reverence and respect to Him, we humble ourselves and submit ourselves to God,

We besmirch and desecrate this if we come to God unworthy and if we merely pray by words and not coming from our hearts, which may be due to many reasons such as unconfessed sin, rebellion to God as a result of unanswered prayer, or our lives are preoccupied with many things of this world.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our lives and words should recognize that our Heavenly Father is Holy and we when we adress Him we should do so knowing that He is a Loving , personal father .

Sinse we are human being we sometimes never honour our heavenly Father the way it should be , this is because of our sinful nature.

When we begin to Pray we are to , Recognize , Praise and worship our Father .

• 3 weeks later...

God almighty is our loving father in heaven. As his children we should pray not pray to his selfishly or self centeredly because that disgraces the whole point of God.We live according to God's laws and demands but not our own because that would be the way of a sinner. With the holy spirit, we are able to pray with a positive attitude and so we can also pray from our heart and not with words.

So, we claim the Mighty God as our Holy Father and we dedicate our lives to Him, promising to obey Him through His word and by the guidance of His Holy Spirit. By keeping our promise and doing His will to the best of our ability we reflect His nature and character and hallow His precious name.

On the other hand, when we profess our Chrisitianity to the world and then proceed to live a life of sin we put Him to an open shame, which by the way, happens all too often among the body of Christ.

To enter His courts with our prayers we must ask for forgiveness of our sins as God does not hear sinners.

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

I don't know about you, but I was always taught that "thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain" as using it in a curse word. I thought, "well, that's too simplistic; there's gotta be more to it." Then I thought about how we as Christians are taking Christ's name for ourselves. 2Chron 7:14 starts with, "If my people, who are called by my name..." Even the word "Christian" means like Christ. That's a tall order!! If we take the Lord's name for ourselves, we need to reflect what the Lord is like. By the way we live our lives shows whether we bring honor or dishonor to his name. Our "hallowing" the name of the Lord is only as good as the way we honor it ourselves.

We give reverence to God and hallow His name when we do everything we do for His glory. When we take a minute to listen to our kids. When we go out of our way to help another person. When we spend time with God, just being with Him, not asking for things, or letting our thoughts wander, but just being in His presence and letting Him love us.

We besmirch HIs name when we are angry with others, when we're impatient in traffic, rude to the salesclerk, don't take the time to show kindness to those we come in contact with. When we use His name in vain and don't even realize it. When we don't obey His word.

Just realizing who He is when we begin to pray hallows His name....we are at the foot of the throne of God, allowed into HIs Holy presence, and able to crawl up on HIs lap and just be loved by Him!

• 2 weeks later...

(Hallowed be thy name) means to me that you respect and honor Gods name in every day life meaning you don't just say it in a casual way like Oh God this, Oh God that. And you obey his comands and you try and do his will not your own. When you say God name it should be in worship and in prayer.

• 2 weeks later...

- What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

To me, "hallows" in the context and explination that is given in the context of the bible study means that we are to live holy lives because God, our Father, is holy. We should be "loving God first and foremost and loving our neighbors as ourselves" because that is what Jesus said we are to always do. The way that we should be doing that is by showing others that we love them, not just saying it. We should be treating others with the respect that they deserve as God's children. If we wouldn't want someone to treat our children badly, then we shouldn't be treating anyone else badly.

- What desecrates and besmirches it?

Treating others like they aren't worth the time that it takes to just say "Hi, How are you" and then spending just a minute or two with them desecrates the name of the Father, in my opinion. We are called as children of God to try to help our brothers and sisters. By not spending a few minutes with them, we aren't doing what we are told to do.

- How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

We should be clearing our hearts and minds before we begin to pray. By focusing all of our attention toward God, we can, and should, expect God to focus all of His attention on us.

• 4 weeks later...

"Hallows"-to have great respect and reverence to God who is holy.Also a true heart to heart communication with God,whether private or public.

"Descrate"is damaging God's word, an insulting God by using his name in vainall the time.

"Besmirches"-is somebody bringing shame,and discrace to God"s word,and his word and reputation.

Your name be honored as holy,be his great name in the world

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father? What desecrates and besmirches it? How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

I believe that when we pray we should open up our hearts and let our feelings to our lord be known. thanking him graciously for all that he,s done in our lives wether good or bad. After all everything happens for a reason. Thanking our lord first before asking in prayer is only right. :D

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm the latest newbie on this sight. I love the word of God and especially the atmosphere of prayer.

In answer to the question, my thoughts lean towards the fact that I think we can "Hallow" the Lord with our way of living at all times. This way, when we come to prayer we don't have be conscious of doing anything to earn brownie points because we are already 'being'. I look forward to reading other thoughts on this, cause I love to expand my learning.

• 3 weeks later...

We hallow our Heavenly Father when we turn our focus to Him in prayer all day long, recognizing, perceiving, and understanding the wonders of His Person, experiencing His Peace through prayer. As the Spirit of Christ who dwells in the innermost part of me takes authority over my soul--the seat of my emotions--and my body--my fleshly desires and appetites, my thoughts, my words, and my actions will hallow my Heavenly Father.

Guest MRose PD

I think I have sinned against God pertaining this "hallow" thing. I oftentimes use His name "God" as an exclamation expression. I never thought much of this until I read Dr. Wilson's article. And I'm conscience-stricken. How will I ever control myself to be able to eventually stop this? I hope to stop and I will try to stop. This is my newest resolution now. I will find a way to stop besmirching His name from now on.

When I speak as Christ would speak or act as Christ would act these are some of the things I think would hallow the Father's name. I don't always act or speak in a Christ like manner and that desecrates and besmirches His name. I think in part, I can hallow the Father's name by coming humbly to the throne and not just boldly. I also think to hallow His name I should be thankful not just for what I have received from Him but give thanks and praise for who He is, e.g. the Creator God of the universe, the Father of Lights, etc.

kman

• 4 weeks later...

For me personally, my life "hallows" God's name when I am in obedience to HIM. And when I sin I can hallow HIS name by repenting immediately. My life "hallows" God's name when I am constantly seeking HIM & HIS ways. My life hallows God's name by representing HIM as if Jesus Himself were in me & speaking my words and acting my actions.

Whenever I act or behave contrary to God's will I desecrate HIS name because I am His Child & a representative of Jesus Christ. When people see me they should see Jesus even if they don't realize who it is that is smiling back at them. To see anybody else or anything else desecrates the very God I adore.

I "hallow" the Father when I begin to pray when I stop long enough before I start praying & realize WHO it is I am praying to. :o) If it is during the day as I work & walk I "hallow" Father's name by remembering while I'm talking to HIM who it is I am talking to. He is my Poppa, my Daddy, but HE is also Almighty Creator. As my Father & as Almighty Creator I believe that I need to respect that while loving, adoring & obeying HIM. We children sometimes tend to take our parents for granted ... I don't want to keep doing that.

• 4 weeks later...

Hollowing God and His mighty works in and around us is essential to properly communicating with Him. Hallowing God establishes the connection of calling on Him, dailing the right number...so to speak. As a child of the Most High God, nothing but love, respect and honor can establish this connection. The Holy Spirit is able to activate our spirits to respond and receive our Almighty God's blessings and power while we are able to express our gratitude and love in prayer. It is so important to have a personal relationship with God, knowing that He is with us at all times. He loves to communicate with us and we should love to communicate with Him as well.

Profane use of our Holy Father's names is not only insulting to God; it places a wedge between God and us. If you mistreat someone and speak in a rude manner about or to them, then they will withdraw themselves from you until you apologize and change. Our Father deserves to be honored at all times.

• 2 months later...

I find it hard to put into words this attitude of fearful reverence of God that we are to have. It is an attitude that expresses itself in behavior which honors God and shows that He is premier in our lives.

Shaming God's name would be to have an attitude that doesn't recognize that He has first place. That list would be long if we listed all of those behaviors.

How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray? I'm not certain there are steps to doing this but perhaps some movements. I think it begins with thoughts about who God is: there is none like Him. He is perfect in all ways. His ways are above our ways. After thinking then put those thoughts into words as you express to God aloud His greatness, glory, might, power etc.. This thinking may lead to bodily expression of God's presence (kneeling, bowing etc.) but the thoughtful reflection of God comes first and then the physical expression (not vice versa).

I do think you have to be careful to not make a formula of this. The physical expression of this worshp will depend upon one's culture.

Q1. What about our lives and words "hallows" the name of our Father?

When our prayers show reverence and respect for our Father God.

What desecrates and besmirches it?

When we use His name in Vain, disrespect Him and do not honor and obey Him.

How should we "hallow" the Father when we begin to pray?

Our prayers should always be full of thanks and praise to our God. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

We should ``Hallows`` our Lord with reverence, honor and respect by walking in obedience to His word. Love Him with all our heart, mind and Spirit. Speak with love towards God and consecreate our lives as children of the Most High God. :D

We dishonor His name when we curse and use His name in vain. :angry

When we pray we must set our mind and heart fill in Awe with God`s presence, greatness and holiness. The fruit of our lips shall praise, give thanks and adore Him with loving kindness. Pray earnestly according to His will and glorify His name for all He has done in our lives. :P

The way we live our lives in our daily walk; being obedient and following the word of God and the example of Jesus. When we use the word God it should only be in a reverant manner. We shouldn't toss His name around loosely and in a slang or vulgar context. What desecrates it is just the opposite of what I typed in already. When we begin to pray we should be respectful in addressing Him as heavenly, almighty,gracious etc.