JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Daily Bread

Why don't we want to ask for help? It is part of our nature. Does a baby want help crawling, walking or talking?

Why should we ask God for our daily bread? We don't have to believe in God or serve him to get a job. There are too many people in the world who are working but don't believe in God. But as believers we know that he will not only provide us with our needs but with strength to perform, and someone to walk with us in troubles. We don't have to believe in him, but he does believe in us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that pride has crept in our daily lives and we want to think that we can do everything for ourselves. This is so untrue because with out our Lord, we wouldn't be anything. We thank him for the use of our hands to help us to provide for our families. We thank him for the job he has given us and the talent to do that job. We need to ask God for everything and thank him for what he has given us.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because we want to be independent. Most people don't want to be dependent others. They want to be secure by their own means. People are proud and don't want to seem lessened by being dependent upon others. This includes being dependent upon God or acknowledging God.

However, Jesus teaches to ask God to give us daily bread despite the fact that we work to earn it. Because in reality,

"You may say to yourself, 'My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.' But remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today." (Deuteronomy 8:17-18).

We must always acknowledge the ultimate sources of all things -- the Lord God Almighty.

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

ANYONE CAN DISAPPOINT. HUMAN CANNOT MEET THE NEEDS OF FELLOW HUMANS SATISFACTORYLY AND EVEN WHEN THEY MEET ONES NEED THE OTHER PERSON WILL BE THE OBJECT OF WORSHIP AND NOT GOD. INSTEAD OF GIVING GOD THE GLORY THE GLORY GOES TO MAN. WE SEEK TO BE INDEPENDENT OF GOD BECAUSE WE THINK WE CAN DO IT BY OURSEVES. WE ASK GOD TO GIVE US OUR DAILY BREAD BECAUSE HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN GIVE US THE STRENGHT, HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN MAKE A WAY WHERE THERE IS NO WAY. A SICK MAN ON THE BED CANNOT WORK TO MAKE A LIVNG FOR HIMSEF

• 3 weeks later...

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God?

We are taught to be independent as children by our parents, teachers, family and friends. So, seeking for help is the hardest thing for one to do even when we know the help is available. That's why it's a difficult time asking help from the Lord. All he wants is for us to dependent solely on him for everything.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

"Give us daily bread" consist of instruction, wisdom and knowledge for that day. With these tools in mind you will have a very properous day. It prepares us for all unforseen danger that God will warns us about, decisions that need to be made and how to keep our joy, peace and happiness in this day.

WELL WHAT IT MEANS TO ME IS GIVE USE DAILY BREAD: JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE INDEPENDENT WITH JOB AND ON YOUR JOB IT MEANS GOD IN CHARGE AND STILL NEED HIM NO MATTER WHAT KEPT YOU IN GOOD HEALTH, AND PRAY TO KEPT YOU ON THE JOB AND ASK GOD TO KEPT WHAT YOU NEED TO KEPT YOU GOING IN THIS LIFE. IT MEANS KEPT GOD 1ST NOT YOUR JOB BECAUSE YOU SURPOSE TO WORK FOR GOD EVERYDAY AND HE HE WILL GIVE DAILY FOOD YOU NEED TO GO ON IN YOUR LIFE

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

In truth nothing is earned of ourselves, the Job we go to each day is given to as blessing by God, and each and every day we should thank him. The ability to produce (work) is only a result of where we are. I may be in good physical health able to do work to provide for myself and family but if there is no work I still can not provide my daily needs. So we thank God for putting us in a place where we can provide. Here God is providing us that opportunity to work. There are many impoverished people that would love to work but there is no work to be done, so their families die from hunger or sickness.

In our times of distress we call on the Father for everything, and the Father finds pleasure and provides, but soon we develop a storehouse ( a reserves) of things, and we no longer need to ask our Father for our daily bread. We think "I need to ask the Father for greater things" and then we forget that it was the Father that provided for the lesser (lesser is used only as a comparison to our desires) , not us. With time we began to forget to even give thanks to the Father for all he has given us.

And soon we began to worship the gifts not the giver assuming in our natural mind that we have done something to sustain ourselves. Now the accolades of man cause us to fail to humble ourselves and we no longer even come to our Father, out things become our god.

[We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help because we feel proud if we have everything or when we do not have we think we might bother people. On God we always thinks of ourselves only. As said on Deuteronomy 8 verses 17-18 it is not our power or strength which gives us wealth.

We should ask God for our daily bread as he is the one who gives us everything, food, money, shelter, the list goes on. On daily living we depend on him. ]

• 4 weeks later...

I suspect that a lot of our "independence" is due to pride. To some extent it is a learned behavior, to some extent it is a part of the natural man. Pride is both good and bad, as with all things, too much is too much. Pride leads us to believe that we can do all things in ourselves; the bible instructs us that the natural man will only lead us to dead ends. Better to lean on the Word of God as in Philippians 4:13: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

The same independence from our fellow man, leads to an independence from God. We prefer to think that we can "handle it" what ever "it" is. God's word again tells us that the wisdom of man is folly, true wisdom comes from God, and it is when we seek that true wisdom from God that we learn to depend on Him for everything. It is the dependence upon God that makes us truly independent, and that when we put on the full armor of God and prepare for the spiritual warfare that is sure to ensue. Thank God He does not make us stand alone.

All things were created by God, all things belong to God, He loans us that which we require expecting that we will use it to further His Kingdom, and return a portion to Him. Though it is not in the thinking of natural man, it is good that we look to God from whom all blessings flow, and give Him thanks for those necessities that He provides to us. All things are His to give and take as He sees fit. Thank God that through His Grace, He makes everything we need available to us. Praise His name.

• 1 month later...

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

Because we are a prideful people. If you do not know God's word, the strong shall bear the infirmities of the weak, you are your brother's keeper etc. you will not ask anyone for help, but will suffer in silence. If you know God Word you will meditate on the story of David and Mephibosheth. Our spiritual and emotional healing comes from approaching God in our handicapped state and believing we are His children and are worthy of His love. We will never learn to walk with God on healthy feet if we never sit at His table as a cripple. God uses other people to bless us, but we will never know the full extent of God's blessing on our lives if we are so foolish as to suffer in silence.

Why do we seek to be independent of God?

Only a fool will think that he does not need God. For God so loved the world that He gave His olny begotten Son that whsoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. God is the giver of every good and perfect gift. The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof. What can we do without God? It's amazing that God still watches over and cares for us in all our foolishness in thinking that we do not need Him and actually think our accomplishments are our own, and not a result of gifts of love from the Father.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

We should ask God to give us our daily bread, because it is God who enables us to earn a living for ourselves to earn the physical bread. But here we are not talking about physical bread alone but spiritual bread as well. The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof. It is He who has made us and not we ourselves, therefore we can do nothing without God.

When Jesus instructs us to pray "give us this day our daily bread," He is not talking about the kind of bread we put peanut butter and jelly on. Relative to material food, Jesus instructed us to seek first His kingdom (and the material needs would be added unto are spiritual gain). When Jesus prayed "give us this day our daily bread," He prayed it in the Spirit as we are instructed to do. The Spirit seeks not the material bread of this world, but the bread of the next age - which is the word of God. In fact, the word "daily" which Jesus used is a Greek word (epiousios) still used today which means the "ensuing day" or what we call "tomorrow." In other words, the proper translation of this prayer is "give us today the bread of the age to come." This prayer guarantees our access into heaven as a citizen thereof while we are still on earth this day. This petition is for the "power of the age to come" referred to in Hebrews 6 and experienced in the lives of believers in the form of prophetic dreams, visions, utterances, discernment, words of knowledge, etc as we live day-to-day under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. It should be noted that Jesus gets all that He wants and since He prayed this prayer and commanded us to do the same, we are absolutely guranteed to receive what Jesus is asking for here - which is spiritual power from heaven so that we may live spiritually today - the day of salvation!

I believe the questions presented are inappropriate because they presume that "we" are still in Adam. Speaking for myself with confidence and with hope for the other members, "we" are in Christ and no longer do the things the question presumes. However, approaching the prayer from a purely material viewpoint, I answer as following:

1) We believers seek to be financially independent of wordly men so that we can share with others who gathered too little so that they may not have too little.

2) We believers dont seek to be independent of God - that's what satan does!

3) No believer should say that they earn their living by the strength of their own hands, for it is God who gives us the strength of our hands.

We like to think we are self sufficient and don't want to ask for help. As long as things are going good and going our way, we try to be independent. We forget that God is really in control.

When we ask God to give us our daily bread, it is not just literal bread or food we eat. We need to be spiritually fed as well. We are asking him to be in control when we sincerely pray for this.

We like to feel that we are in charge or our own lives and that we have no need of anyone. We are the captains of our own ships as the old saying goes, refusing to seek help when we are in need keeps some one else from recieving a blessing from God when they do unto us.

We seek to be independant from God for the same reason and often add in our thinking that there are others that need God's help more than us not giving God His soverign ability to help all in who are in need including us.

We should continue to ask because it keeps our mines focused on the true God and that He is the one in control and not us. We need to always seek His gudiance and always acknowledge that He alone is Lord.

I agree with many of the other students that pride keeps us from asking for help and pride keeps us from completely submitting to God (independent of Him). When we ask for our daily bread, we are asking and acknowledging that He alone is the provider of our needs. We ask for today only, not for tomorrow, because we a giving God control over our future.

• 1 month later...

Independence is such an American way of life. We like to be self-sufficient and not have to depend on anyone else. When we don't depend on anyone else, we don't have to answer to anyone else - we aren't accountable. When we are independent of God we don't try to do His will, but do whatever we please to do. God can withhold daily bread, He controls the weather and our health and whether we get laid off. He is sovereign. He gives us the intelligence to understand our job and the health to do it.

I was taught from the time I was old enough to walk, that if I ever wanted to have anything, then I would have to work and get it myself. No one would give me anything. So, now that I am saved, and I can go to The Father for whatever I need, this is very hard for me. Also, I think we have problems with understanding that God is in control, and He gives us everything that we have. And the ability to make money. Some people just don't like the idea of being told what to do by a higher authority. When we become adults, we don't want anyone messing with us.

We have to learn that God IS in control of every aspect of our lives, and we should be glad! I always just mess mine up!

• 2 weeks later...
This question can be answered in so many ways but first and foremost, in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth, every living thing that breathed on earth, the fowls of the air, and plants then from the dust he created man, so there is nothing that i can do for my self that God can"t do better and for it to be done the right way. So yes i need my father, i wouldn"t have it no other way. Thank you Father for being the head of my life and suplying all of my needs!

Oh, this is an "easy" one...the answer to the first two questions is that nasty five letter word: PRIDE. Double for your trouble...pride will knock you down every time... We should ask God to "give" us our daily bread so that we will recognize our absolute need for His provision to us. Whether or not we are able to provide for our needs, the ultimate resource comes from Him and His hand. Better wake up to this reality...cause when the cards come tumblin' down...it is a stark reality.

Read Matthew's account of the Wise and Foolish Builders ... gain insight into the great truth of building upon the Rock...Amen?!

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

It's wired into us as a developmental stage to become independent from parents in order to grow up. But it's also our fallen nature...pride. (I did it, I earned it! etc.) We don't want to appear weak or needy as our culture stresses "Just do it! Don't let them see you sweat! Be strong and independent! Big guys/girls don't cry!" We don't want to be vulnerable.

Why do we seek to be independent of God?

That's what happened when Adam and Eve "fell" in the Garden. They chose to become independent from God and to "do their own thing". we were born with that fallen, independent sin nature.

As a believer, I'm given the opportunity to be Re-Parented by my Heavenly Father. Each day, I can choose to surrender to His will and plan, which includes learning to rely on Him in utter dependence. As I do, which includes asking for my daily needs to be met, my flesh is crucified, the pridefulness of SELF is replaced by Thanksgiving and Praise for my Father's love and care for me, and my knowledge of Him and appreciation for being His child grows. It's one of the wonderful ways I've come to love Him....as I have been homeless, penniless...totally stripped of home, car, goods, income, insurance, etc. As I learned to depend upon Him for all things, I've come to see Who He is and who I am. He is Almighty God, Creator of all things....I am dust..BUT with His Spirit within me to empower me to live this life of faith. I'm no longer in dire straits in the world's eyes, but I live in dependence because those things can be gone in a heartbeat of fire, earthquake, illness...whatever. It brings me joy to receive from His hand, even a latte or a rosebud as His love offering, which I used to take for granted as my due.

Romans 11:36 Everything comes from God alone, everything lives by His power, everything exists for His glory! My next breath comes from His hand.....and everything else He gives to me!

Many people will shy away from asking any one for help - other people, as well as God. I feel that this is because they do not want to feel indebted to anyone. While many of us may be able to get by in life without help from other people, it is impossible to do so with out God. Do people seek to be independent of God? I think that those that try to live independently from God simply do not believe in God, or at least do not believe with any depth or knowledge. Thus, people may try to live independently, or think that they are living independently, from God, but He is always with us, and knows our every thought and deed.

We need to ask every day for our daily bread. It is what we are taught in Scripture, it is part of what Jesus taught when a disciple asked Him to 'Teach us to pray'. Notice the request is not to teach us how to pray, but, teach us to pray. We have seen you pray, Jesus, and as we are supposed to be like you, we need you to teach us to pray. Prayer lets God know that we are thinking of Him, that we praise Him and appreciate all that he has done for us. By asking God for our daily bread, we are humbling ourselves before the Lord, admitting that we cannot provide for ourselves without His help.