JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Daily Bread

we don't seek help because we think we can do it ourselves,but in the long run we realize that's not tthe case when in term we end up doimg what we should had done in the first place

that only last for a short time because in the end we realize that without God we would not be where we are now

sure we can earn a living but the true pitcher here is without God nothing that we have or hope to receive, we can't get on our on in order to earn a living for ourselves we must remember it is God who gives us power to get wealth

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

Pride. The answer in one word. "I don't need anyone's help"!! We also don't want to owe anyone anything. We resist being on the hook of the "favor owed".

We seek independence from God for a couple of reasons that come to mind. First of all, a lack of knowledge. It is difficult to pray for ourselves when we should be praying for others. We have to remember that it is Jesus himself who teaches us to pray "Give us this day our daily bread". We also seek independence from God because we know that our wants are different from our needs and we don't want to be limited to our "needs".

Circumstances change. Our needs change. I might not be able to earn my own living tomorrow. Health, both economic and physical, could keep my from making a living. My resources are limited, GOd's are not.

• 2 months later...

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help? Why do we seek to be independent of God? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

"daily bread" here refers to the spiritual daily bread. We need to ask God to give us our spiritual bread - in the form of Versus, a Song which encourages, a sermon, a bible study... whatever the means we need to get our spiritual food for our Spirit & Soul. They that seek God will never be let out of daily food Psamls 34:10

• 4 weeks later...

We seek to be independent because we are prideful. We live in a society were self-made men are respected. We see being dependent on anything as a sign of weakness; and may be it is, if we are dependent on anything else than God. God teaches us through Jesus to be dependent on Him even and especially for our most basic needs.

• 1 month later...

As a child depends on the father to provide what's needed so should we, most of the times the wants are not the needs God as our Father knows us better then we know ourselves.To depend on God is to rely on the Father to acknowledge that He is the creator and provider of all we have to remember that there are situations in our lives that our jobs nor our strength can solve and I believe that in asking him for our Daily Bread we are asking not just for food but for wholeness as He is our provider and knows what we needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

- There are number of reasons. One is because we believe there's no need of asking anyone for help.

Some also refuse to seek other's help because of pride. Others also may want to give first all their best shot before resort to seek anyone for help.

Why do we seek to be independent of God?

- Some seek to be independent of God because they believe some desires or plan doesn't need to bother God.

- Some (I can say) baby Christians believes that God gave us mind and talent and therefore we do our way as long as it doesn't have negative impact to others.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

- I believe the "Bread" here speak more than food intake for our physical body. It represent all that we need everyday including shelter, clothing, air that we breath, the light from the sun, the wind that cools our body etc. "Daily" means continual seeking from our Creator.

We cannot earn everything by ourselves for our living. Can we earn the air that we breath, the sun that shines on us and gives us light? What about the plants that generates oxygen? These are equally important needs of our body to sustain life aside from food intake. Therefore, daily asking from God, the Creator of Heaven and Earth is needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3a. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

Q3b. Why do we seek to be independent of God?

Q3c. Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for

ourselves?

a. pride

b. pride

c. because He gives us the ability to earn that living -- our skills, education, personality, co-workers, customers/clients -- just because the bread comes through a mechanism in which we participate doesn't mean it's not his provision

• 1 month later...

Dependence on others gives the impression and perception of weakness. Inherently, we always feel the need to be independent and not beholden to someone else. We want to be able to say that we achieved success due to our own intellect, wit, charm, etc and not because someone else helped give us a boost up the ladder.

Many times, we seek to be independent of God because we want to do things our way and on our own schedule. We fail to recognise that God's timing is perfect and that God's knows the plans He has for us, plans of good and not of evil, plans to prosper us and not to harm us, plans to give us a future and a hope.

Asking God to give us daily bread ascribes our dependence on God for all things. We must recognise that even when we are able to earn a living for ourselves, it is God who gives us the ability to produce wealth. It is absolutely critical to acknowledge that God is our provider. Amen.

That is just it, we do nothing for ourselves or by ourselves. It is by God's Grace that we even get up in the morning, so it makes perfect sense to ask God for our daily bread because without Him we would have nothing!

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. Why do we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help?

We seek to be independent of asking anyone for help, because it is human nature to want to be self-sufficiency and live independently of others. We feel as if we do not need things from others, we have the attitude and mentality that we can do it ourselves and to do it our own way. That is why we have a strong desire for independence.

We seek to be independent of God, because we take our livelihood for granted. We become dependent upon man for our daily needs when we have a job or source of income that we feel we have obtained for ourselves.

Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

We should ask God to

• 4 weeks later...

Q3 Human fears and insecurities I imagine is why people don't ask for help. We as humans live within ourselves and when we trust God we gradually learn to "die to self".

As for me I can't even imagine anyone wanting to be independent from God. We are totally dependent upon Him as we wake up everyday and put on our spiritual clothing first. We are all human and therefore will be faced with human fears and insecurities until we gain knowledge by reading and studying His word that we are blessed when we take His hand and face our fears and insecurities with God at our side we can defeat any GIANT.

Simplicity and truthfullness answers this question. Everything belongs to God My every breath is in his hands and so is the breath of every living thing. Everything belongs to God and in His loving mercy I am so thank-ful He shares with me and my family.

• 1 month later...

As humans we tend to believe that the accomplishments made are ours. We see asking for help as a sighn of weakness especialy us veterans who were trained to be self sufficiant and strong.

independance fromGOD is a form of fear that we will not be able to live the way we want the partys over we now have a high standard to try and live by so as humans we try to distance ourselves from the responsibility.

We may be able to work but that is a blessing from GOD that can be taken away at anymoment it is not wrong to ask GOD for what we need the bible says ask and you shall recieve our Father wants to help but he wants us to give him the respect of asking and the glory of us knowing that we should ask and not expect of him for it is his will that will be done not ours.

• 11 months later...

I've read many great answers to this and I guess pride (don't want to appear weak, think we can do it on our own, don't want to be embarrassed that we've failed etc.) is foremost.

2nd is that people have let us down in the past so we seek to be independent out of "necessity". We just don't trust others.

I wanted to reply to this because I felt that I could contribute an addition perspective from my own struggles:

I think sometimes I seek to be independent of God so that I can say to myself that I don't need God. That because I can do it on my own (without his help), I am also free to disobey his commands and disregard what he wills for my life.

Choosing to believe that we are NOT dependent on God is a slippery slope leading to self-pride, leading to us exercising our freewill without first asking what does God say about this situation, what is God's will for this situation.

So that we remember that everything we have is God's providence and so that we are constantly reminded to seek God and God's will first before we take any action. Because when we turn away from God, even if we think it's because we don't want to "bother" him for something so small, we may turn away from Him in the bigger things in our lives.

• 5 months later...

We want to be independent because we falsely believe that we can supply for our needs on our own without help. In this way, we also seek independence from God for we do not wish to acknowledge that anyone else is responsible for what we have accomplished. In America we call this "The American Dream." We tell each other that we can accomplishment great things if we will just "pull up our boot straps" and plunge forward until we reach our goal. Although God does want to bless us with everything we need, he wants us to remember that none of this can happen without his provision. He cares for us and longs for us to remember that "every good gift comes from above."

• 3 weeks later...

Human nature is to strive to do better. We are given special talents and born with abilities that we forget is created in us and given to us by God. We are a remarkable people who forget where our abilities to make gain come from and who provides this gain. Every day we should give remembrance and pray to our Father that He allows our abilities to continue and that He is the one who provides our means and supplies our needs even when our abilities have failed. If we do this we won't have a need to be independent of our neighbor or forget a loving and suppling God.

• 1 month later...

We want our will, we depend on ourselves. We want to take care of ourselves. Pride overrides humbleness.

Why do we seek to be independent of God? For all the above reasons

Without God we have no chance. Its only because of God's blessings that we have any ability to earn for ourselves. It is also part of seeking the kingdom of God, knowing where our ability to earn comes from. Further it makes us realize we must be obedient if we want to have our daily bread

• 3 months later...

We want to apear strong and competent, we don't want to look weak and vunerable, this is really pride and we need to change this attitude to one of interdependence.

We have the fallen nature from Adam, that seeks to go its own way and not to depend apon God. We need to live through the new nature, the creature that is born of God and to abide in Jesus.

God gives us the ability to earn a living, God gives the sunshine and the rain that makes the crops grow. We can have nothing without Him.

• 1 year later...

Ah...we do not realize just how dependent we are on Him every day and every hour for our needs. We do not know as we slumber through our job routine that at any moment that livelihood could be snatched away or something else could change. I think, as painful as it is to us, God prefers at times to keep us leaning fully on Him....even if that means we are broken to come to that point...blessed Mercy of God that He doesn;t abandon us to our own nature, which desires to appear strong without Him and have its way without His input. 

Ah...we do not realize just how dependent we are on Him every day and every hour for our needs. We do not know as we slumber through our job routine that at any moment that livelihood could be snatched away or something else could change. I think, as painful as it is to us, God prefers at times to keep us leaning fully on Him....even if that means we are broken to come to that point...blessed Mercy of God that He doesn;t abandon us to our own nature, which desires to appear strong without Him and have its way without His input. 

• 6 months later...

Because we think we can provide for ourselves by the work of our hands. "You may say to yourself, 'My

power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.' (Deuteronomy 8:17)

Because we would like to store up enough money so that we don't have to worry -- or pray -- about where

our next meal will come from. We would like to be "comfortably" well off, if not rich. We don't want to

have to pray for our next meal.

? Why should we ask God to "give" us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves?

Because it is he who "gives" us our daily bread. He strengthens us, and provides through us. So often,

when we have our health, we take this ability for granted. Jesus is teaching us to look to the Father

for every provision.

Jesus teaches us, "Give us today our daily bread." How is it that we so often confuse such a simple concept?

• 1 month later...

A lot of people feel that asking for help is a sign of weakness. We want to be strong. We want to be better than anyone else. We feel that we can do things better than God. We feel that God is only a person that is there on Sundays in a building. We close him out of our daily lives. Many people say this prayer out of habit. They do not really think about the words or the meanings of those words.

• 1 month later...

The reason that I think we seek independence of asking anyone for help is that we are taught that from childhood. We have been told to pull up our own bootstraps and not to rely on somebody else.

The reason we should ask God to “give” us daily bread so long as we can earn a living for ourselves is because He is the one that is giving us the strength to make that living. He is also the one that has made us that daily bread.

• 4 months later...

Many a times it's the pride that prevents one to seek help. We want to show that we can take care of ourselves and our lives.

The abilities and capabilities to earn our daily bread is a gift from God. He is the provider and sustainer. We should live a life of gratitude towards God for His goodness. Every good thing comes from God alone.

• 2 weeks later...

I think we seek to be independent of asking anyone for help due to pride in us. Admitting that we need help from someone else and that we are unable to make it on our own is seen as a weakness. I think we think that we are doing something wrong if we have to keep going to God in prayer asking Him for the same thing over and over instead seeing that He is our provider. God is our source so we should ask Him to give us daily bread in order to remind ourselves that everything we could ever need is supplied only by Him.