JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Persistence

Abraham is not afraid to continue to drop the number of good people that God would save the city for . He is going to try to save the city with the least amount of worthy people as possible. I feel that persistence prayer is important for a few reasons:

1) God needs to know that we are serious about our requests. He wants to know that this is what our heart is really into.

2) With persistent prayer, we can decide for ourselves what we really need versus what we only want. It gives us a time to reflect on our requests.

3) persistent prayer will allow us time to get our prayer right. We can work through all the improper words or less than honoring words or thoughts.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abraham showed persistence when he keep going back to God and asking for the city to be saved. Prayer is necessary because it keeps your mind on what you think that you need. I am praying through something now but it still hasn’t happened the way that I way I thought it should so I keep going back to God and asking him to answer it my way.

• 4 months later...

Abraham was persistent. He continued praying and appealing to God from 50 souls to 10 souls.

Our persistent prayers shows our commitment,sincerity. God is delighted to answer such prayers.

I prayed persistently for nearly one year for my son who was seriously ill with no hope of survival. God answered my prayers and he is on the road to recovery. Now, I am continuing to pray for daughter married

Two years ago that God bless her with baby.

Abraham's persistent prayer is a lesson that we continue to remember in prayer who are in need and distress.

• 4 years later...

We cannot sweep the righteous with the wicked” This shows Abraham’s understanding of the nature and character of God (i.e., “Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly. God certainly had acknowledged the situation, but He wanted Abraham to understand his unique relationship with Him, and the necessity for intercessory prayer on the behalf of others, which he will certainly use with Abimelech. I think Abraham must have been thinking about Lot and his family in Sodom and save them.

• 6 months later...

In what way does Abraham show persistence?

Abraham shows persistence by not accepting God’s first response, but continued to ask, lowering his number each time. 

Why is persistence necessary in prayer?

Persistence is necessary because the Word tells us to pray without ceasing. He said, “Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened to you. If we know our friend is home and we knock on the door, we don’t just knock once and leave if they don’t answer, we knock again. 

Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

I have been praying through a concern and, although I’ve been doing it for ten years, I continue to pray. I know God hears me, because I’ve seen tiny steps of improvement. Persistence and praying through takes patience and “stick-to-it-ness.”

• 4 months later...

I am not sure if I have ever prayed through anything.  I know I have lots to learn about prayer even though I have been a born again believer for many years. God has answered many many prayers He has been so faithful and kind to me and my family, I am excited with all I know He is doing, far beyond all I could wish or hope for and I am eternally grateful to Him that He is my Abba Father. 

Abraham recognized that Almighty God was just and merciful and he appealed for salvation of the righteous people in Sodom even if there were only ten.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4a. Abraham showed persistence in the manner in which he engaged God in prayer conversation. Which an attitude of humility and obeisance to His Lord by just asking questions and learning the mind of His Lord he was to hear his master moves from sparing the lives of 50 to 10.Still Abraham left with the sure knowledge that if there was  only just one righteous person in the city  God wouldn't have destroyed that righteous soul. 

Q4b. Jesus gave the parable of the widow seeking justice from a judge. The judge decided to settle her case knowing that she wouldn't stop coming until she gets justice.God doesn't want us to have a little faith in him.God wants from us great persistence faith as he said with great faith that if we were to tell the mountain be moved and be casted into the sea it would be done.Great faith is seen with persistence prayer. We are instructed by Scriptures to pray without ceasing and in every circumstances we are to give thanks and praise..

Q4c.  Yes it has been  some time. However this a tool I need and will use in my prayer life...

• 1 year later...
On 9/14/2005 at 10:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

When Abraham was asking God if he would spare the city, he kept coming back to God with different numbers.

Persistence is necessary because persistence shows perseverance and not quitting. Persistence keeps us in communication with the Father. 

I am actually experiencing praying through now. I am believing God to answer my prayer. Doing this study on prayer is giving me tools in how to approach God and is helping me and giving me hope nof my prayers being answered. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2005 at 12:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

1. He shows me that the desires of God’s heart is in Abraham........ “instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance” 2 Peter 3:9b

2. Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Some prayers take longer to answer due to the spiritual warfare surrounding the situation. A breakthrough is needed.

3. Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like? Yes I have. I get a release in my spirit telling me it’s done.

Abraham shoes persistence in prayer by continuing to ask again and again--the same question with a smaller and smaller number of people to be spared by God.  Persistence is necessary in prayer because relationship is not instant.  Praying through -- yes.  Shortly after I accepted Christ as a teenager, my cousin was born.  I prayed for his salvation and prayed and prayed--he accepted Christ at age 40.  His mom, my aunt because of his testimony...at age 80!!! Don't give up.  Currently my husband has been in debilitating back pain for a month.  PRAYING.  Not giving up. God Hears.