JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Persistence

Abraham showed persistaence by imposing himself upon GOD, in reducing the numbers until he felt comfortable in that it covered Lot's immediate family (wife and any children).

It's necessary because it shows GOD just how serious we are in what we're asking. Like any child at Christmas time they continue to ask for a particular toy until they've gotten the assurance that their parents knows exactly what they want.

Yes, my wife and I were asking GOD for a daughter to give to Him much like Samuel, and it seemed like it would not come to pass. After three mis-carrages we were determined to keep this before GOD (blessed is the man that has his quiver full, and a daughter would have filled my quiver) GOD delivered (wife too) our daughter is 20 years old today. It was challenging, painful when I would go into the basement and see baby clothes we had brought. But worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abraham was boldly approaching God, again and again with humility and faith, pleading what if a lesser number of righteous people are found in Sodom. Persistenace is necessary in our prayers to show our absolute faith in our God's merciful nature. In certain difficult circumstance my, my families and our friends persistence prayers were answered in due course of God's time!! B)

• 4 weeks later...

Abraham showed persistence by asking the same question over and over.

Persistence is necessary because it lets God see your humility and faith.

Yes, but at the time I thought I was hounding God because that is what I was taught. That you ask once and wait for an answer. Thanks for showing me different.

You ask what it was like! First let me explain the prayer than I can tell you how it felt. I was a devorced mother with three young children. All I wanted was someone to put their arms around me and love me for who I was. After several times of asking I got my answer, and it wasn't my mother , father, sisters, brothers or even a boyfreind I thought He would send, it Was God Himself. What was it like? Peaceful, tender, loving, serene. I wish I had it happen all the time, there's nothing in this world like it.

• 1 month later...

He keeps pleading with God, until he feels his prayer has been answered without affending his God, and within God's will.

I think persistence is our way of showing God how serious we are about what we are asking for. Sometimes I think we ask for things, and since we really don't want them, we loose interest in them after awhile. or sometimes maybe we have doubts that God will answer such a prayer, so we just 'leave it in his hands' and hope he will answer the way we want.

We have to show faith in what we believe, and what we want. We have to show compassion and love for the ones we are praying for. We have to show God we truly care and don't plan on giving up.

You can know God answered prayer, when the burden you've been carrying has lifted, and you feel a piece like nothing else you have ever felt It's like God is wrapping his arms around you and saying, "fear not, I am with you, and I heard you. It will be alright."

Abraham persisted in his plea to God not to destroy the righteous with the sinners. He humbly bargained the number of people God would be willing to save from 50,to 45,then 30, 20, and 10. He understood that God is faithful and not unrighteous to destroy righteous people.

Persistence in prayeris necessary as it indicates our seriousness and commitment to the request, whilst it also shows our faith and trust in God.

I have experienced breakthrough in prayer several times. Several years ag, I wa having challenges passing my professional exam. I cried to God in pray and with fasting. He wonderfully granted my request. When I needed to get married, I prayed ceaselessly too. God showed His faithfulness again. I can count on and on. Having prayer through is a joyful experience and it reinforces our belief and trust in God.

Abraham prayed persistently to God and didnt stop from asking about the destruction if there are 50 righteous down to 10 - but God didnt also stop in replying. We can see here that persistency gets result, as long as we are in tune to God and always ready to listen, God will be always there to answer our prayers,

Praying through get results because the communication with God is open and He could be able to talk to us freely. We also need to be persistent.

• 2 months later...

Abraham shows persistence by continuing to entreat the Lord as the Lord accepts his requests, until ultimately, Abraham attains what he seeks, the desire of his heart.

Presistant prayer is the ultimate trial of one's faith, continuing for as long as necessary until you attain a breakthrough, that certainty in your spirit wherein you know that Jesus has received your prayer, that it aligns with His word and results will be forthcoming, as He wills.

Yes, I have had breakthroughs and about the only thing I can say is that the release and relief that I received is such a concentrated outpouring of love from the Father that it causes one to quiver to the very essence of our being. Words, like trying to explain how the Holy Spirit feels inside, are not sufficient for me. I simply don't have the vocabulary to express the joy that I feel when the times occur.

• 4 weeks later...

By asking and asking, Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Because if you keep asking then God knows we care about what we are praying for. All I know is that when I pray God answers it. praying through I don't know what the really means. Maybe I do it without knowing it, all I know is prayer is one of the most important things we can do in our Christian walk...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest MRose PD

Abraham showed persistence in prayer by repeating the same request/plea all over again, the difference only of which is the decreasing number of good people. He persisted until he got the last number he can think of.

Persistence is necessary I guess to impress on God that we really mean what we pray for. Yes, I've expereinced praying through but I coupled it with work... hard work at that, to hopefullly achieve it or get its approval soon.

• 2 months later...

Abraham's persistence is shown by his character of praying which is like demanding something from God in the guise of asking questions. I believe persistence in prayer is God' way of making us grow in faith. The more we pray the more we believe in the power of God to grant our request. I have never experienced this praying through, but this lesson opened my eyes to the wonders of this kind of prayer. Thanks to this lesson, from now on I wont stop praying until I get the assurance of an answer. Blessed be God forever!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Abraham shows persistence by continuing to ask God for a smaller number of righteous people.I think he kept praying until he had peace asking for ten. There wasn't even ten but God still answered Abraham's prayer,just not the way Abraham expected. The prayer was for the righteous to be spared and they were.

Persistence is necessary to get our hearts in line with God's heart and will.

Yes I have experienced praying through. In 2002 my married daughter and her small daughter left in her van and no one knew where they were. I did some strong crying out to God to keep her safe and bring her back home. After about a month of persistent praying and reading God's word especially the Psalms,I had peace that she was and would be safe and would come back home. I still felt uncomfortable with her being gone but deep down I had peace and knew God would answer. She came home after being gone 4 months. PRAISE GOD! She was not with another man, I hate to say it but in my flesh I would have felt better because I would have felt she had someone to protect her. But after praying t

through about it I realized she had no better one watching over her than the Lord!

Abraham show persistence by asking repeatedly for more mercy. Persistence is necessary in prayer because it shows God that we earnestly desire what we are asking and that despite the delay, we trust in His gracious mercy and desire to give. I have experienced "praying through." It is a wonderful feeling to know more fully each time that God truly does answer the prayers of His children. I will liken it to a deep hunger in the heart given by the Holy Spirit in which each prayer is a bite of food. When God finally answers, it gives a feeling of complete fullness and joy. It increases my faith tremendously.

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence?

He didn't stop after the first plea, he pleaded and pleaded until he was certain that the Lord would save the righteous in Sodom.

Why is persistence necessary in prayer?

Jesus gave us two parables where he showed the rewards for persistency. Also, the Apostle James tells us that we are to be fervent in our praying:

"The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
James 5:16b (KJV)

Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Yes, the first time that I really needed to "pray through," though it seemed like the answer was long in coming when it came it brought a lifetime of joy, peace, and the anointing.

• 2 weeks later...
Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Abraham showed persistence by continuing to plead for fewer and fewer righteous ones. He showed he honored God but cared deeply about God's people. He did not stop with the first request. Persistent prayer shows our heart and the depth of our concern. It shows our faith and our trust in Him. I am "praying through" now. It is like waiting. You just hold on and trust and wait, with thanks and expectancy.

Q4. In what way does Abraham show persistence? Why is persistence necessary in prayer? Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

We must be persistence in our prayer life in order to hear God response to our petition. Abraham asked God until he felt at peace with his request. He continues to ask God to be forgiving for the sake of those wicked people but in his own mind his prayer is really for his nephew , Lot and protection to the other righteous people.

God always hear us when we pray. Persistence is required in prayer to show that we believe in what we are praying about and God will move in His mighty way when we diligently seek Him with sincere heart praying through until assurance of an answer comes. God works in way that we can`t understand but in His own timing He will make everything comes to pass.

• 4 months later...

He shows persistance by repeatedly petitionling God again and again.

Persistence is necessary because 1. it lets God know you are serious about the situation and 2 it keeps you in close communion with God.

Yes I have prayed through and it was wonderful. God doesn't always change the situation but He does give us the grace and strenght to endure. HE changes me.

• 3 months later...

Abraham prays it out with God until the only rightious people found in both cities is Lot's family. Persistence in prayer reveals to God whether you have the faith and the true concern of the petition you are asking of God.

Praying persistedly over a petition takes faith and passion. And a belief God will answer your prayer.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

In what way does Abraham show persistence?

Abraham showed persistence in his continual intercession and pleas to God to save Sodom if 50......10 people could be saved. He did not give up and stop when God acceded to his request if fifty people could be found.

Why is persistence necessary in prayer?

God's no does not mean never. If we give up everytime a prayer is not answered immediately, we will miss out on a great number of God's blessings. God's time and ways are not our ways and they are not for us to understand. God is Alpha and Omega, He knows our beginning and our end. He knows what we can handle and when we can handle it. If we pray for something and it doesnt come right away, if we are persistent and it's in God's will to grant us the desires of our heart, they will come in God's good time. Persistent prayer shows God's our faithfulness, trust, earnestness and our belief in Him.

Have you ever experienced "praying through"? What was it like?

Yes. There was a time in my life when God allowed Satan to attack every aspect of my life, my home, marriage, children, job etc. It was life changing, because I reached the point where the troubles didnt matter, all that mattered to me was my relationship with God. I had to pray through all of my issues, things that interfered in my relationship with God and prevented Him from being my Abba Father. I learned that when God answers prayers according to need. Some areas that Iwas having issues with, God answered my prayers right away, others, it took awhile and some I'm still enduring. Through praying through, I learned to trust God in everything. I have a closer relationship with Him and a hunger to have that relationship become deeper and a desire that every child of God have that same relationship and know God as a deliverer, father, provider, healer, Hes whagever you need when you need Him.

Abraham showed his persistence by continuing to pray for Lot by reducing the number of righteous needed to spare the city. He didn't ask just once, he repeatedly asked God to spare Sodom.

Persistence is necessary to get the answer. If we pray once and the answer is not given, we need to continue to pray as Jesus taught in the two parables of the persistent widow and the unjust judge. Persistence shows our faith in God. It is also communion with God.

I have experienced "praying through", continuing to ask of God until the answer came. The experience of that answered pray was most exhilerating and built my faith.

He kept lowering the number of righteous people before God and God kept agreeing until he got to five, the number in Lot's family. Presistance isnecessary because Jesus said ask and keep on asking seek and keep on seeking. Presistance allows us to be greatful to a merciful God who does answer prayer.

• 1 month later...

as time went on he kept asking God to spare the people even if there were only a few righteous. The number kept getting smaller and smaller. I have never experienced praying through.

Abraham asks God if He will spare 50, then 40, etc. He doesn't give up.

Persistence, I believe, works two ways-one way is, it builds our faith and our staying power. The second way is, I think God sees that we are serious about our faith in His ability to deliver our need, and He wants us to be able to see that whatever it is that we need, He is able to help us. It kind of puts a period on the milk-to-meat part of our faith. I hope this makes sense ;)