JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord? What is the underlying principle illustrated here? How can we apply this principle to our own lives? What happens when we don't apply this principle?

To take it to the Lord and not handle it in his own strength He got personal with God. He knew His God would handle it for him. The same way we need to trust God with the things that come up in our lives Give to Him and he will win the battle for you...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord? What is the underlying principle illustrated here? How can we apply this principle to our own lives? What happens when we don't apply this principle?

It was a point of contact for Hezekiah, and it showed how personal you

can get with God. He cares about every detail of your life. We need to go to

God for every thing that happens in our life good and bad. If we don't apply this pric

we will go off and do our own thing and end up in a mess.

• 1 month later...

There are times we take our battles on our own,and we lose.Here,Hezekiah is telling us "The Battle Is The Lord's". We take our eyes off the Lord an we are blind,lost,and running around where to go.We may wish for an instant,miraculious deliverance from our problems, but it doesn't usually happen that way.We have to turned to God for help. God answers our desperate plea and deliver us from our enemies

• 2 months later...

Hezekiah gave our Lord the battle for he knows that it is God's battle ever since, but that he was just trying to play God before. But not now that he received a letter from the enemy insulting his God. This was an insult more directed to God than himself, so he told God all about it. He told God he had prepared all that he can already for the battle, but it seems to be nothing if He will not directly get involve in it, in the battle itself, especially so now that He, his God, has been terribly insulted by their enemy. God's direct involvement in the battle was the most significant thing that's needed at that time to make sure He and His people will not be shamed and to prove that He is really the true and real God.

The underlying principle is that anyone's effort is nothing without God in it.

More often than not, if we don't apply this principle, its either we succeed but its not God who helped us succeed but another spiritual power, probably the evil one. Better to enjoin God in all our efforts, undertakings and battles to be sure that in the end we will not lose the promised eternal blissful life with Him.

• 1 month later...

What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's mesage before the LORD?

Hezekiah is showing the LORD that He is being insulted moreso than Hezekiah. It is for the LORD to make response.

What is the underlying principle illustrated here?

Hezekiah is showing his trust and faith in the LORD. He is not handling the insult on his own. God is being insulted. The battle is the LORD'S.

How can we apply this principle to our own lives?

We can trust in the LORD'S power to help us fight our battles.

What happens when we don't apply this principle?

When we don't trust the LORD, we put unnecessary pressure on ourselves. We get discouraged; we give up; we can't handle it.

After meditating on this longer, I believe I have a better understanding. Hezekiah went up into the house of the LORD. The LORD'S house is a house of prayer. The significance? Hezekiah did what was right. He brought the matter to the LORD, his Creator in prayer.

The underlying principle is God's free Gift to us (Salvation through the death of His Son, Jesus Christ on the cross for our sins and eternal life). This includes special favor by God, His provision for us, His continuing support of us, His power, His ability, and His capacity.

To God be the glory!

Amen!

• 1 month later...

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

He wanted God to handle the enemy Himself and tell him what to do.

God is always in charge, all we have to do is follow Him.

Through prayer and studying God

• 1 month later...

The significance of Hezekiah's spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord is he realized the problem was really the Lords and he was giving it to Him to solve.Hezekiah would be willing to do as the lead.

The underlying principle here is that the battle belongs to the Lord.

We apply this principle by giving the Lord our problems and cares, trusting him to lead us, obeying him and leaving the rest to him!

What happens when we fail to apply this principle is we do the wrong thing, we put a lot of stress on ourselves and we lose faith in the Lord. The Lord does not receive the glory he so richly deserves!

The significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord was an outward symbol of the state of his heart. Hezekiah was bringing his problems before the Lord in utter dependence on Him to intervene. The principle we can learn from this is that the battle is the Lord's, and we can trust Him to defend His own name and complete His good purposes. We can apply it, by bringing every problem before Him in utter trust that whatever is good and right will be fought for and won by our mighty and loving God. When we don't apply this principle, we set ourselves up for anxiety and worry and basically put faith in our own strength before that of an Almighty God.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

Hezekiah relinquished his authority in the battle and submitted to Jehovah. He laid out the problem before the Lord and asked for God to deliver them out of the hands of the enemy.

If we allow Him, God will fight our battles.

In all of life's struggles and battles we are to rest in the Lord, knowing that it is the Lord who will bring us to victory.

We go into battles and are bruised, or maimed needlessly.

• 4 weeks later...

1). Hezekiah is revealing his total dependency for help in a tangible way. He can do nothing but give it to the Lord the problem so gigantic rather than trying to solve by himself..

2). The underlying principle is `The battle is for the Lord` Hezekiah put it in God`s hand and trust Him to defend him. We need to cast all our cares on Him because He knows our need and will never forsake those who love Him.

3). Bring everything to God in prayer and He will speak to us thru the HS. We must turn to God first with all our situation we are facing because He knows all our problems and will able to defect them for us.

4). If we don`t apply the principle we are always the loser because we have shut God out of our trust and we don`t follow God`s will and will result to perish. We are nothing in His eyes but with God nothing is too difficult for Him to handle and everything is possible. Hallelujah!

• 4 months later...

Hezekiah is showing His total dependance on God and also realizing that it is not his fight but God's fight. The insult was directed to God.

I believe the priciple is that no matter what the battle is - the battle belongs to God. It's His fight. Satan uses us to get to God and we need to just relax and know that God is in control no matter what the circumstances look like. When I try to fight satan in my own power I loose every time. When I allow God to fight for me I can't help but win! God is all powerful and all knowing and is in control of every situation.

• 3 months later...

Hezekiah is bringing the matter before the Lord. The underlying principle is that we should bring all of our matters before the Lord and seek His leadership. We can apply this principle to our own lives by doing it. When we don't bring our matters before the Lord, we are trusting in ourselves and limiting the ability of God to be our God.

• 4 months later...

I remember my mother always saying to me "Give it to God" What every we have that is weighing us down we have to give it to God. Just as a small child runs to his daddy ofr protection from whatever frightens him we must place at God's feet those things that bigger than us.

As I write this I think that we must place all thing is God's very able hands. this is not a sign that we are giving up but rather a sign that we have put our faith completly in God. We still prepare for the battle no matter what it may be but we do it with the confidence that God has heard and knows the problem that is before us.

in matthew 11:28-30 Jesus says" all ye that are heaven laden.... for I will give you rest," this I percieve as comfort and tha suurrantly that God is in control of all situation and we do not need to worry about the outcome.

This comfort and the guarentee of the assurer (God) makes the battle much greater for them that have Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

Hezekiah spread the message out before the Lord because it was wrong.The underlying principle illustrated is that the battle is the Lord's , give them to the Lord from the start, he will work them out. When we don't the Lord steps back until we completely give them to him, and we ask for help.

• 1 month later...

It shows his faith in God and his willingness to submit to God direction. He brought the message against God to God for the people sake God already knew what the note said He had heard it read as it was written. Hezekiah briught it to the house of the Lord so that the people would see his trust and have faith also. We can apply this principle by allowing others to see our faith and always remaing faithful to God in our own lives. When we don't apply this to our lives other see that also and are right in condeming us for our like of faith. We must always show our faith so that it will grow in us and those who watch us as we live for God and His purpose for our lives.

• 3 weeks later...

Hezekiah was limited and by putting the enemies message before the Lord put the battle in God's hands rather than Hezekiah's.

The underlying principle is putting your trust in God. Many times we are not able to handle a situation or battle, but God can. Take the situation to Him in prayer.

Applying the principle may take some time and practice because we want to be in control. Studying the scriptures and noting the times others have given the battle or problem over to God will help us. When we don't apply this principle and try to handle things on our own, we fail. We put ourselves through a lot of unnecessary stress and strife when we can turn it all over to God who will take care of us.

• 1 month later...

God knows what is in our hearts and on our minds when we come before Him in prayer. I believe that, when Hezekiah spread the message before The Lord, That he did two things: 1. He affirmed to himself that God hears and answers prayer for specific needs, thereby strengthening his faith. 2. God wants to know that we are serious when we say that we believe in Him alone to help us, and to know that we are serious when we come to Him with not just our problems, but also with our praise and thank offerings.

For me, this principle illustrates the fact that when I go before God in prayer, I need an anchor-or a starting point. I plan to start writing things down, whether requests, or praise-whatever. I plan to write it all down, and read it out loud. Confirmation for me that I believe I will get my need or praise across. Gloray! This is exciting!

It is significant because it shows that Hezekiah understood that God is in charge and He is sovereign. We need to always remember in everythign we do that God is sovereign. If we try to do things in our own strength we mess up and are so sorry later.

• 4 weeks later...

He was in faith that God "saw" and "heard" his prayers, and let Him read the letter for Himself. I love this!!! I've done the same thing a few times with letter which were troubling and needed His intervention.

The battle is the Lord's. He was giving God's problem to God to solve, rather than trying to do the impossible himself.

When the enemy comes in like a flood, we can ask the Lord to raise up a standard against him...Ask Him to fight the battle....on His own or through us if need be. Or, when Satan knocks at the door, send Jesus to answer....

We back ourselves into a corner...trying to fight in our flesh, those things which are a spiritual battle and need God's mighty power and intervention. A recipe for failure every time!

The fact that Hezekiah spreads out the message from Sennacherib before the Lord, shows his faith and belief in God. He shows God that the message speaks more against God than against Hezekiah. Hezekiah has always had faith in the Lord, and here demonstrates that while he is temporarily the leader of God's people, they are God's people, not his. This leadership is granted by God, and allows Hezekiah to serve God, and His people; it is not a giving of the people and their lives to Hezekiah to do with as he will.

We can apply this lesson to our lives as we realize that everything we have is a gift of God. Everything that happens in our lives comes from the will of God, although we can 'change His mind' by prayer, if we truly live in His Spirit. If we start to give ourselves credit for our accomplishments and successes, we will soon be putting ourselves ahead of God, and if we start granting ourselves rewards here in our earthly existance, that will be our reward, fleeting and gone when we die, rather than waiting for our eternal reward in heaven.

I believe the significane is that Hezekiah was "coming clean" with the Lord and wanted Him to know "what he knew.." Underlying principle is complete honesty. How can we apply the principle: Be Honest. When we don't apply the principle, then our prayers and impeded, and God needs to deal with our dishonesty before Him before our "issues."

• 3 weeks later...

The Battle is the Lord's. Now is the time to look to the Lord: live a righteous and faithful life before the Lord. We lose the battle.

• 2 weeks later...

He wanted to express his anger that it was God's people who would be attacked and it was against God because there were so many idol worshippers and this was the insult he hated. He felt nothing for himself but for how the enemy perceived God's people.

The underlying principle is "The battle is not ours but God's"

When we try to fight our own battles, we always fall short because we have put our trust in ourselves rather than in God.

• 5 months later...

As a child we go to our parents when we receive good or bad news so that they can hear, see and read if necessary what has been said.

I believe Hezekiah laid this letter before the Lord in recognition that He knows all and sees all and he is laying it at His feet in total surrender like he is saying I can't do it but you can. You show me what and how to do what needs to be done. Without You I can do nothing.

The principle is "The battle is the Lord's" give it to Him.

We need to take all things to God, for His ways are not our ways nor His thoughts our thoughts.

When we do not do this, we ask in our own strength and pride gets in the way of victory.