JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord? What is the underlying principle illustrated here? How can we apply this principle to our own lives? What happens when we don't apply this principle?

The significance is that Hezekiah realized that this was for the Lord. He realized who he is and how limited he is. Hezekiah realized that it was not about him but the Lord. He gave over to the Lord and said tell me what you want me to do and I will do just that. This is your battle and I am your servant. Because I know who you are and that you are limitless in all things, my faith is in you.

The underlying principle is trust and obey. "What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear, what a privilege it is to carry everything to God in prayer; Oh what peace we often forfeit, Oh what needless pain we bear, All because WE DO NOT CARRY EVERYTHING TO GOD IN PRAYER,"

The study referenced several scriptures, but one that really stayed with me was Zechariah 4:6. "Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit." This is such a strong scripture that gives insight on we are to conduct ourselves. We are to be determined in the Holy Spirit. This means it is not about us. The Holy Spirit is our Helper. We need to seek his help. We need Him.

We can apply this principle by seeking God first in all things we do. "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your path," Proverbs 3:6. Before we make a move we should always ask God to show us the way. That is not all, we must also wait for him to answer.

When we do not apply this principle, we have a mess on our hands. Our spirits become out of sync, the joy in our lives is stifled. We have to be straightened out before the task at hand can begin to take place.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HEZEKIAH WANTED TO SHOW THE LORD THAT HE RECOGNIZED THAT THE BATTLE WAS ALL ABOUT HIM (GOD) AND THAT HE'S ALSO AWARE THAT GOD IS QUITE CAPABLE OF HANDLING HIS OWN BATTLES WITHOUT ANY HELP FROM HIM.

THE UNDERLYING PRINCIPLE IS THAT WE NEED TO LAY OUT EVERYTHING BEFORE THE LORD DO NOT TAKE ON WHAT BELONGS TO HIM.

WE CAN APPLY THIS PRINCIPLE BY AS THE SCRIPTURE SAYS HAVING DONE ALL TO STAND. STAND

WHEN WE DO NOT OBEY THIS PRINCIPLE WE END UP BEEN FRUSTRATED, DISCOUIRAGED AND SOME EVEN GIVE UP.

• 4 months later...

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord? What is the underlying principle illustrated here? How can we apply this principle to our own lives? What happens when we don't apply this principle?

Hezekiah knows how powerful God is; and he knew that the enemy message had offended Yaweh. He thought I am going to let God handle this situation.

The underlying principle is Hezekiah brought his all to altar and layed it before God because the battle was not his but the Lord. When we dont let God fight our battles we loss contact with his spirit.

When we have problems we want to solve them ourselves; and all it does is make matters worst. Wait I say on the Lord! and he will fight your battles.

Hezekiah knows how powerful God is; and he knew that the enemy message had offended Yaweh. He thought I am going to let God handle this situation.

The underlying principle is Hezekiah brought his all to altar and layed it before God because the battle was not his but the Lord. When we dont let God fight our battles we loss contact with his spirit.

Sometimes we think we can solve the problem ourselves; and it makes matters worst. Wait I say on the Lord! and he will fight your battles.

Patricia

• 1 month later...

We have to bring our problems to Him.

That's what Hezek

• 2 weeks later...

Hezekiah has confidence and trust in God's great power- the first thing he does is to hand it over to God-bringing the problem straight to him.

The underlying principle here is to involve God in all that we do, by sharing our lives with him, in our thoughts and our prayers. We should not try to carry the burdens of our lives alone, God is waiting for us to speak with him on all matters. If we leave Him out of our lives then we may become negative and fearful or arrogant and selfish losing direction.

• 5 months later...

Q1. (19:14)

What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

What is the underlying principle illustrated here?

How can we apply this principle to our own lives?

What happens when we don't apply this principle?

This shows Hezekiah

• 2 months later...

He recognized that the enemy's message was an insult to God, not to him personally. He therefore gave the matter up to the Lord to fight for the battle is the Lord's. He does not try to solve the matter himself. We should do the same when we face difficult times. We must always remember that we have a powerful God who will help us fight our battles. This does not mean we do nothing or we will not worry one bit. We will do what is necessary but we will not fret over the outcome because we know that God is in control. If we insist on being self-reliant, it may come to a point where we feel discouraged, anxious and will ultimately give up. This will give the enemy an open door to atttack us even more.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

God wants to see our faith in action. He is God and we are his children. We can go to Him with boldness. This means we need to quickly take our problems and needs to Him in prayer by spreading them out before Him. Using a letter or a prayer list is good so we concentrate and to present boldly these needs. I am thankful that God does hear our prayers and He wants us to bring to Him all our needs and also to intercede for others, which makes this a long list that we could present before Him daily with hope that He will answer each petition as He did for king Hezekiah.

Hezekiah had complete confidence in God and that He would her him and respond to his petitions.

By spreading our needs before God with confidence means we believe that He will answer our prayers. This gives me a desire to pray more and expecting an answer that pleases God.

We have not because we ask not. Thank you Lord you certainly want to hear what is burdening us and you want to do great things according to our faith in You.

Q1. (19:14) What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

God wants to see our faith in action. He is God and we are his children. We can go to Him with boldness. This means we need to quickly take our problems and needs to Him in prayer by spreading them out before Him. Using a letter or a prayer list is good so we concentrate and to present boldly these needs. I am thankful that God does hear our prayers and He wants us to bring to Him all our needs and also to intercede for others, which makes this a long list that we could present before Him daily with hope that He will answer each petition as He did for king Hezekiah.

Hezekiah had complete confidence in God and that He would her him and respond to his petitions.

By spreading our needs before God with confidence means we believe that He will answer our prayers. This gives me a desire to pray more and expecting an answer that pleases God.

We have not because we ask not. Thank you Lord you certainly want to hear what is burdening us and you want to do great things according to our faith in You.

• 5 months later...

Hezekiah spread his problems before the Lord acknowledging his powerlessness and trust. Sennacherib had insulted God by stating that He was unable to save Judah. He gave the matter up to the Lord. The principle illustrated here is that we can trust the Lord with our difficulties and boldly spread them out to Him. We humbly acknowledge that we need Him in our life. He is our Shepherd. When we don't do it, we are relying on our ego and losing our direction. We end up discouraged and frustrated.

• 4 months later...

The significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy’s message before the Lord shows that he trusted in the Lord to take care of his problems. He was depending on God to fight his battles.

The underlying principle illustrated here is to bring God’s problems to Him, trusting Him to fight His own battle. We are to trust and have confidence in the greatness of the power of God.

We can apply this principle to our lives by laying everything before the Lord, so He can give us true and lasting victory.

If we do not apply this principle to our lives we will become discouraged, and give up.

• 1 year later...

Hezekiah recognizes that this message is an insult to God that He must deal with. The idea is that we need to recognize when the battle is the Lord's and give it to Him. In His battle He is the commander and we are just His soldiers ready to do His bidding at all times. If we fail to apply this principle, we are easily defeated, stressed out, and unavailable to do what God calls us to at the right time.

• 3 weeks later...

The significance is that this is the Lord's battle. That is why Hezekiah took the action of spreading out the message in the house of the Lord. He gave it over to Him. We cannot fight these battles. This was a direct insult to God. We are to do the same with our own lives as we lay out our petitions before God for the situations that we face or needs we have. If we don't do this we fight without power to succeed. The Lord will give us the victory when we give it to him.

The significance is that this is the Lord's battle. That is why Hezekiah took the action of spreading out the message in the house of the Lord. He gave it over to Him. We cannot fight these battles. This was a direct insult to God. We are to do the same with our own lives as we lay out our petitions before God for the situations that we face or needs we have. If we don't do this we fight without power to succeed. The Lord will give us the victory when we give it to him.

• 1 month later...

What is the significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy's message before the Lord?

Hezekiah shows that he believes in God, he knows he himself can't do anything about the situation and that this battle belongsto God.

Faith in God. We should not try to fight God's battles

We have to take our battles and everyday live to God. I must hand myself over to God

I want to be in control, and when i want to be incontrol, only my powers are in play, thus chances for success is small. Rather seek God's will and God's support so that you may experience Him in your life

• 1 year later...

It is vital to understand that Hezekiah is bringing God's problem to God, rather than trying to solve it himself. The principle is: "The Battle Is the Lord's!"

The principle is: "The Battle Is the Lord's!"

We can apply this principle to our lives by laying everything before the Lord, so He can give us true and lasting victory.

If we insist on being self-reliant, it may come to a point where we feel discouraged, anxious and will ultimately give up. This will give the enemy an open door to atttack us even more.       

James 4:2-3 (NIV)

You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

If you persist on fighting your own battles, God won't stop you. He'll let you do what you want. But then you have no one to blame but yourself when things don't work out or go according to plan. So, the only way to solve that dilemma is to ask God - "You do not have because you do not ask God." (James 4:2 NIV)  "The Battle Is the Lord's!"

• 1 month later...

Hezekiah believes that he has done all that he could. He has prepared for battle. But the enemy wants to fight God. He has challenged God himself and Hezekiah just gives it over to God. We have to let God do the work. We can only follow orders. We can only do what is in our own power. We can only pray for God to pick up the fight and to defend us. When we try to play God, all chaos will happen and we will lose everything.

• 2 months later...

The significance of Hezekiah spreading out the enemy’s message before the Lord is to show that this is going to be the Lord’s battle. He was turning over to the Lord. The underlying principle illustrated here is that we should turn the thing over to the Lord that is his and follow Him in doing His instructions. If we don’t apply this principle we will be under stress all the time because we don’t think that the Lord will take care of us.

• 4 months later...

The enemy sent a message to king Hezekiah mocking and insulting God Jehovah. This letter was an insult to God more than to the king. The king goes into the presence of God and prays to deal with the enemy. The king had no strength or capabilities to go against the enemy.

In difficult circumstances, discouragement and disappointment in life,helpless when we feel that we are losing the battle, our hope is in the Lord. We can bring our problems to the Lord. We cannot fight our life's battles on our own strength. We should take everything,all things to God in prayer. We fail when we try to fight on our strength and wisdom. Turn them over to God. He will help win the battles.

The enemy sent a message to king Hezekiah mocking and insulting God Jehovah. This letter was an insult to God more than to the king. The king goes into the presence of God and prays to deal with the enemy. The king had no strength or capabilities to go against the enemy.

In difficult circumstances, discouragement and disappointment in life,helpless when we feel that we are losing the battle, our hope is in the Lord. We can bring our problems to the Lord. We cannot fight our life's battles on our own strength. We should take everything,all things to God in prayer. We fail when we try to fight on our strength and wisdom. Turn them over to God. He will help win the battles.

• 5 years later...

1a.  Hezekiah sees himself as just the courier the messenger and rightly so as the letters content is blasphemous to Hezekiah's true and living God.

1b.  The Principle is in all of our storms of life we do not overcome by our own strength nor by power but we are victorious only by being down on our knees and through the Spirit of God who makes all things possible. 

1c.  We can and must apply this principle in prayer knowing that everything is of and from the Lord. When we totally let go and let God  takes control of our afflictions and addictions...when we take all of our burdens and roll them on Him at Calvary's Cross only then  the Lord can roll grace and mercy and forgiveness on us.

1d.  When don't apply this principle then we are showing that we are in control and we don't need God. It shows a lack of humility in that we are not submissive to His sovereignty. A prideful  self righteousness nature also comes in as we are now depending on our abilities to solve our problems.

• 1 year later...
On 10/7/2005 at 3:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The significance is that Hezekiah is bringing the battle to God.

The underlying principle is that the battle is the Lord's!

We can apply this principle to our own lives by taking every challenge, obstacle, or battle to God first. We tend to panic and worry and try to fix it first. Our first instinct should be to take everything to the Lord in prayer and seek His wisdom and guidance in how to handle the what's before us. 

I know in my own life, when I try to handle things on my own and in my own strength I can make the situation worse. I am also frustrated and angry and lost nit knowing what to do. 

• 11 months later...
On 10/15/2005 at 4:11 AM, sunilbernard said:

Hezekiah did a very practical thing. He knew very well that this problem cannot be solved by armies or swords. This is a real gigantic problem which only the Lord God can solve. So the logical thing that he does is to go to the Lord with the message from the enemy and practically reads the letter to the Lord. The basic principle is to determine who we are. If we think that we are the children of the most High God, which He promises in John 1:12, then we have the assurance that our Father in heaven can take care of the bullies that rag us and tease us. Its a basic human reaction to run to our parents when troubles come.

Every Christian should apply this basic principle and hand over the problems to our Father in Heaven. We need not bother to investigate and discuss the pros and cons and try to work out a solution depending on our own strength and capacity. That will be dishonoring the Lord and His strength. When we try to solve the problems ourselves, we end up running deeper into the maze and hopelessly get entangled that it is impossible to get out of the mess. We end up having high tensions, BP and all accompanying physical ailments that shift our focus from Jesus to the problems on hand. We need to make a mental note that everytime a problem crops us, its best to take it to the Lord in prayer and He will take care of things according to His promises. His promises are true and they fail not.

This is a realistic interpretation of Hezekiah's actions and the instruction to us is clear: A STRONG FAITH IN GOD TO KNOW HE FIGHTS ALL  BATTLES (HIS AND OURS) AND WINS. OURS IS NOT TO FIGHT GOD'S BATTLES. HE IS ABLE TO FIGHT HIS OWN BATTLES, SO THE MOMENT WE REALIZE THAT THE BATTLE IS THE LORD'S, WE TAKE OR GIVE IT TO HOM, IMMEDIATELY; WE SURRENDER AS HEZEKIAH DID. 

AS CHRISTIANS, WE ARE POWERLESS WITHOUT CHRIST   SO WE DO NOT FIGHT GOD'S BATTLES. WE DO NOT ENDURE THE 'MAKE BELIEVE ' THAT WE CAN OVERCOME THE ENEMY AND DEFEND THE KINGDOM OF GOD, NO! 

WHAT WE SHOULD, MUST DO IS STAND ON THE AUTHORITY OF JESUS'BLOOD AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS, HIS RESURRECTION AND GROW IN FAITH BASED ON THE TRUTH WE KNOW, WHAT WE BELIEVE - WHICH IS OUR FAITH ( BELIEVING, PRAYING, UNDOUBTING) . SO BY OUR KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH, WE BELIEVE, BY BELIEVING, WE GROW IN FAITH AND BY FAITH WE HAVE TESTIMONIES AND BY THE WORDS OF OUR TESTIMONIES (CONFESSION OF FAITH) WE DEFEAT THE ENEMIES THROUGH CHRIST WHOSE POWER IS MANIFESTED IN US BY OUR TESTIMONIES, AMEN🙏🙏🙏