JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Fleeing from God

Q1. (139:7) Why do people sometimes want to flee from God?

People sometimes want to flee from God when they are tempted to sin, when they are in a sin that they do not want to give up, or when God tells them to do something and they do not want to do it they run like Jonah.

Why do people imagine that God doesn't know what they do?

People imagine that God doesn’t know what they are doing, because they are seeing God as man who is not finite in his being or thinking.

Have you ever felt this way?

Yes!!! When I realized that I could not run away from God and that I was grieving Him I asked for forgiveness because I love God too much to live outside of His will.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (139:7) Why do people sometimes want to flee from God? Why do people imagine that God doesn't know what they do? Have you ever felt this way?

People want to flee from God because they feel like they are hemmed in and restricted by an all-knowing God. I believe people imagine that God doesn't know what they do because they want to have control over their lives. I know that is why I have pretend that God is not all-knowing. I want to have control of at least one part of my life. But I forget that God has placed boundaries in my life to protect me because He loves me. No boundaries and wanton freedom will lead to my downfall and serving the kingdom of evil.

Q1. (139:7) Why do people sometimes want to flee from God? Why do people imagine that God doesn't know what they do? Have you ever felt this way?

Those who are aware of sinfulness in their own lives would want to flee from God if they were approaching sin for themselves. Human nature wants to block out God from an evil they are entertaining. But there is never a comfortable spot to rest in when we do wrong or think it. You cannot avoid God when He has awakened you to the sinful state you are in through conviction of His Spirit. I am never comfortable when I have thoughts that would cause me to try and cross His boundaries of protection.

• 1 year later...

Q1 Why do people somtimes flee from God? Why do people imagine that God doesn't know what they do? Have you ever felt that way?

Psalm 139 is such a good psalm...He is a searching kind of God who tests the heart, the Great Physician. I do often feel that way, when I feel unworthy or sinful that day or week, or feel that I ought to hold silence before Him either because I feel His gaze on me or some Scrutiny that casts to light all I am....and all I'm not. At this kind of point, I try to flee from Him in a sense, by not praying so talkatively, or by trying not to pray at all. Either this means I am silently attentive to Him, or it means I cringe inwardly at the thought of Him knowing me at all and try to hide away. The fear of God makes you want to hide when His light reveals all your imperfections, unless or until it is also covered by His love.   

Q1 Why do people somtimes flee from God? Why do people imagine that God doesn't know what they do? Have you ever felt that way?

Psalm 139 is such a good psalm...He is a searching kind of God who tests the heart, the Great Physician. I do often feel that way, when I feel unworthy or sinful that day or week, or feel that I ought to hold silence before Him either because I feel His gaze on me or some Scrutiny that casts to light all I am....and all I'm not. At this kind of point, I try to flee from Him in a sense, by not praying so talkatively, or by trying not to pray at all. Either this means I am silently attentive to Him, or it means I cringe inwardly at the thought of Him knowing me at all and try to hide away. The fear of God makes you want to hide when His light reveals all your imperfections, unless or until it is also covered by His love.   

• 6 months later...

Why do people sometimes want to flee from God?

People sometimes want to flee from God when they are tempted to sin, when they are in a sin that they do not want to give up, or when God tells them to do something and they do not want to do it, so they run like Jonah.

Why do people imagine that God doesn't know what they do?

Human nature wants to block out God from the evil that we are entertaining. But there is never a comfortable spot to rest in when we do wrong or think it.

Have you ever felt this way? 

I feel convicted when I have thoughts that would cause me to try and cross God's boundaries.

• 1 month later...

People want to hide from God. They do not want God to see what they are doing or hear what they say. They feel that they can still be God's chosen no matter what they do in private. They forget that he is able to be out of the church building and he is here always not just on Sundays. I don't remember any time when I tried to hide from God. I have felt that God was away for a while. I have felt at times during my life that God was on vacation and that I was on my own.

• 2 months later...

I think that people sometimes want to flee from God so that they can perform their favorite sin and they don’t want God to watch them. The reason that people imagine that God doesn’t know what they are doing is because they are trying to hide from Him. I know that I have felt that way sometimes.

• 4 months later...

People want to flee from God when they do wrong/ sinful things not acceptable to God and hide from Him.

Sometimes people flee from God so that they can live their lives the way they want to live away from God.

We think God is not watching. He is an omniscient God. His presence is every where.

People imagine that God doesn't see or know what they do, because no deeper knowledge about God and His attributes. We cannot see God but He is all knowing God, sees everything.

Yes, I too went through these experiences of running away from God. I imagined that God doesn't know what I am doing. It is only God's grace and His mercies that I submitted myself to Him and returned to enjoy His presence once again.

• 4 years later...

God is omnipresent—he is present everywhere. Because this is so, you can never escape from his Spirit. This is good news to those who know and love God, because no matter what we do or where we go, we can never be far from God’s comforting present.

Paul’s hypothetical situations would turn into painful realities. In Romans 8:v 35 God reaffirms his profound love for his people. No matter what happens to us, no matter where we are, we can never be separated from his love. Suffering should not drive us away from God but help us to identify with him and allow his love to heal us.

• 2 years later...
On 10/20/2005 at 9:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I believe people feel from God for various reasons. Either selfish-ambitions; they don't want to follow the "rules" God has set in His word, they have been hurt or experienced something tragic in their lives and can't understand why God would allow something He knew would hurt them beyond measure, and then there is our own **** and entice. We are pulled away by **** of the eye and the pride of life. 

I believe people think that God isn't omnipresent, that He fills all space. I think they feel like He's not in their face like you and I would be. It's easy to hide from a human being when you are trying to get away from them or hide a side from them they haven't shown anyone. When God's word begins to become a mirror of themselves, that can be a little too much for some to handle. God can't be seen, so they feel like they can leave God, and God can't see the innermost things in their hearts.