JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Fleeing from God

Q1. (139:7) Why do people sometimes want to flee from God? Why do people imagine that God doesn't know what they do? Have you ever felt this way?

Sometimes we flee because we are not comfortable with God's constant presence. Sometimes it is because we have a desire to do that which is not pleasing to God. Sometimes it is because God is dealing with us about something we need to do for him that we feel we are not qualified to do - or because of conviction about something we need to quit doing.

We imagine that God doesn't know what we are doing because we have bought the lie that satan tells us that God is too busy to be concerned about me. He even tells us that if we don't pray or complain that God will not notice the sins and shortcomings in our lives.

Yes I have felt this way before but I know now that it is a lie of satan and that God is concerned with every aspect of my life and wants what is best for me in all areas. If I surrender to God then HE will mold me an make me everything that He wants me to be. Often times Surrender is a hard thing because we still think we can handle things ourselves. AKA Pride!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (139:7) Why do people sometimes want to flee from God? Why do people imagine that God doesn't know what they do? Have you ever felt this way?

People sometimes want to flee from God to avoid confrontation with the truth or because they are ashamed of themselves.

People sometimes imagine that God doesn't know what they do because they are in denial or simply do not believe in God.

I have always felt that God knows all about me and everything else. I have never believed in secrets from God.

• 3 weeks later...

People want to flee from God because they don't believe God really exist, and life as they know it, is what they make of it.

For instance; the rich man dosen't want to believe or have someone above him, he thinks he did it all himself. He says, why should I give the credit of what I have achieved to some heavenly being, or entity that I can't even comprehend. No, he dosen't want to have to answer to a higher being; to his Creator. He says I'm rich, my money talks, and I did it my way, God who!

The middle class man has his mind on being promoted just to live comfortably and compete against his fellow man in hopes of achieving that 6 figure dollar, and to be thought of as well to do. He know there is something tugging at him but dosen't want to acknowledge it, so he goes through the motion of putting on a smile and playing church. When all is fine he himself is god, or he makes a god to conform to his will and way, that which satisfies him, and makes him look good in front of his family and friends. Whether right or wrong, believe it or not, he will justify his actions to his peers. Yet, when something goes wrong he is quick to call on the name of the Lord, and cry out why me, I don't deserve this. He will even question God knowing full well, that he dosen't believe God exist.

Now the poor man, well, God is all he has, until the very next moment. Case in point, when a few crumbs are thrown his way, he thinks he's sitting on top of the world, he states I don't need God right now, so he forgets God exist, until the next moment or the next day, whenever his crumbs are gone, then it's back in the same ol' boat, reality has raised its head, disillusion sits in, and every thought, and everything goes black. He don't even know whether he's going or coming, he hangs his head downward, he's hoping and praying that he will have a roof over his head the next day, and food on the table for him and his family, and money to pay the past due bills, he thinks if there was a God, He wouldn't allow this to happen to him. The crumbs that he had gotten the day before, he now wishes he'd done the proper thing with them, instead of having instance gratification; despair overcomes him and everyone else around him pays the price for his behavior. This lowly man is stepped on by everyone, because the God he thinks he knows or believes in, is just a figment of his imagination. This man is unstable in all his ways, being tossed to and fro by the wind. This man is easily influenced, and will be unless he gives himself fully to God, and let God be God.

History has put fear in us; well atleast, the majority of us, for it misused God, it placed no on value on the living God, it demanded that we were to heavenly minded to be any earthly good, it gave us something else to believe in, the american dream. So now we can't out grow the lie we are living, these false gods keeps us from Jehoval Jira our provider.

People want to be incharge of themselves, they don't want to answer to God, so they don't care if He's watching or listening. People justify what the Word says, "that all have sinned and fell short of Gods glory", not realizing that the wages of sin is death; oh, they hear what's being said about sin, but they don't believe it or don't believe the magnitude of it, one reason is it stops their fun, their destructive ways. It goes back to not fearing God because of that lie the decepter sprung long ago.

Yes, I have felt that way. I was lost but now I'm found, and now I try to the best of my ability to live for christ, to seek the kingdom of God. You have heard my story, it's not unlike yours, sinful. Yet, God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, shall not perish but have everlasting life. Let us praise His mightly Name, for He is the reason for the season.

Man simply don't want to have a living God to answer to, he can't phantom something he can't see, hear, feel, touch, or taste, so he continue playing the game as he see it, having to live up to someone elses potential. Man and Woman loves to roll play, they are made up, they pretend because it makes them seem sincere, not realizing how sinful they really are, nor do they stop to think it's not about me.

I do not wish to offend anyone in any social status, rather sharing some points of view, from my life and how I may view this world we live in, needing our creator so deseparately.

• 6 months later...

They know that they are sinning and are afraid of what God would think of them and what He would do. They want to think that God is not watching them and that He doesn't really know what they are doing but He does and they want to believe they are getting away with something. We have all felt like that at one time or other as children we want to put things over on our parents but mom's seem to have a third eye to catch us when we try pulling something on them and God is all know so there is no possible way for us to put things over on Him. He sees us and knows our heart so there is no way to do any thing and God not know. We must learf to be led by the Spirit so that everything we do is for furthering God's kingdom then we will no longer worry about doing things and God not knowing.

People sometimes want to flee from God because they have sinned or do not want to get their life lined up with God's word or His plan for their lives. Fleeing is an avoidance tactic. People try to avoid God when they are not comfortable with the situation.

When our lives are not in line with God's will, imagining that God doesn't know what they are doing is a way of easing the guilt. It is foolish but sin makes fools of everyone.

I have never felt exactly like I wanted to flee but possibly felt like I needed to wait until I could get my will out of the way and draw close to God being in His will.

• 1 month later...

We think in our small minds that we can hide or that we don't matter. Then we do something that makes us feel bad, and we want to hide. We fall under conviction, and think we can escape judgement. In reality, we are just trying to make ourselves feel better about the offense. We like the bad thing so much that we tell ourselves that it doesn't matter-God ain't lookin'. Deep inside we KNOW He's lookin'! This happened to me recently. I had a fight with my husband and I called him some really bad things. Did I get spanked? OH, YEA!

• 3 weeks later...

Not too long ago, God gave me a revelation that there are essentially three kinds of people in the world today: Those who run AWAY from God...those who RUN AROUND God...and those who run TO God. For many years, I was one who ran away from God because the enemy had me in bondage to fear...being terrified of God...literally paralyzed in fear, but not the healthy fear of the Lord...it was distorted and kept me from a right relationship.

Jesus has set me free, and I no longer have that unhealthy distorted concept of God. I pray for a healthy fear of the Lord and for a hatred of sin...between those two prayers...God hears and believe me...He delivers...!!!

I think people imagine that God doesn't know what they do because of shame and guilt...they don't want Him to know, but somehow realize that He does...the age old conflict...Romans 7 come alive...

Have I ever felt that way...? What do you think? Answer: Yes....but no more... He is loving and merciful...knows it all anyway...like David said: Where can I flee from your presence? Even the darkness is as light to Him. Give it up...He's everywhere.

Q1. (139:7) Why do people sometimes want to flee from God?

Some may want to flee because of guilt and not knowing how to be forgiven, others may want to flee due to rebellion and stubborness...not wanting Him to reign in their lives. Perhaps anger at Him for things not going the way the individual wanted them to go. I guess you could call that disappointment, due to ignorance of Who He is. If the desire is to sin, I imagine denial could kick in and one could imagine God is "off duty" or asleep. Fear of punishment can cause people to flee. Many people see God as just a little bigger version of themselves, and think that He deals with us as a fallen human being would.

Why do people imagine that God doesn't know what they do?

I believe it is due to ignorance. He is present everywhere, but because they are unaware and don't recoginize His manifest presence, they assume He's off somewhere in the universe unaware of them.

Have you ever felt this way?

Growing up, I moved in and out of this, because I was a church goer, but ignorant of scripture. Sometimes I sensed He was aware of me but when I was being abused I thought He was elsewhere. "I once was blind but now I see." He revealed to me some years ago when I was trying to get my mind around how He could be everywhere at once...that He is like the air....there is no vacuum anywhere, because He fills every nook and cranny of the Universe.

People sometimes feel that God is overpowering in His knowledge and intimacy with them, they want to be able to get away, be out of His view for a time. They may imagine that they can hide from God, or hide something that they have done from Him.

Have I felt this way? That I had done something that I wish the Lord did not know about? Sure, many times.

People sometimes want to flee from God because they think God is too holy to behold the wrong they have done. I think God is intimidating me, I feel like this sometimes. I know God is all knowing and He sees all but it doesn't make me not to do wrong things sometimes. It is a limitation that I have and I am praying for God to help me to change. At the point of doing bad things I may think God is not watching me but right at the back of my mind, I am aware that He is all knowing.

• 3 weeks later...

Some people sometimes flee from God because of shame, blame, or inability to "face" God with their sin under the delusional thinking that in the running we hide the sin from God which is impossible. I have done the same thing many times in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

We sometimes want to flee from God because there is nothing we can hide from Him, there is nothing to shield His eyes from our thoughts and even when we sleep, He knows our dreams. This may cause us to feel uncomfortable because we are sinful by nature and we are not always pure under His scrutiny.

People think God doesn't know what they do because they often forget about Him whilst He is constantly thinking about us. Out of sight and out of mind for us.

No I have always known that I cannot hide or run from God.

• 5 months later...

Because they know they have done wrong or are considering doing something that is wrong.

It is a concept that for some people is hard to understand , depending on one's relationship with God.

• 2 months later...

PEOPLE SOMETIMES WANT TO FLEE FROM GOD BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY HAVE

DONE WRONG AND THEY CANNOT STAND THE ILLIMINATION OF HIS PRESENCE

I WOULDN'T SAY PEOPLE THINK gOD DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY DO, I BELIEVE IT IS

JUST THE ENEMY'S WAY OF LYING TO THEM. HE DECIEVES IN ORDER TO GET PEOPLE TO DO EVIL

CAN'T RECALL OR SAY I'VE EVER FELT OR THOUGHT THAT WAY

They want to flee from God, because they are afraid of what God might expect from them, if they submit and commit to Him. They imagine that God does not know what they do, because He is not visible as we as humans are.......not really, I don't remember feeling this way.

• 4 months later...

Sometimes we want to flee from Him.

May because we've sinned, we're ashamed for something we have done, we just want some free time, we're dissappointed in Him, doesn't want to do His assingment,...

David tells us here that there is no use of running away.

God is everywhere so He knows what you feel, think, do.

I think most people flee from God because, they have been called to do something special. They feel I am not ready for this and flee from the church thinking God wouldnot see their sins. But deep down inside they know God sees all and knows all. The world has confused their minds. No but sometimes I feel that God is not with me.

Patricia

• 1 month later...

I think we sometimes want to flee from God when we are beset by our own fears, we feel inadequate---not up to the job of striving to please him.

If people imagine that God doesn't know what they do, it's probably because they are not in touch with the scriptures which tell us so often that " The eyes of the Lord are on all that we do ". Or maybe they dont believe what they are reading.

There are times when I feel fear, and instead of getting closer to God and other Christians, I isolate myself which is so silly as I always feel so uplifted when sharing worship with fellow Christians. However, daily Bible reading is such a blessing and Psalm 139 is awesome, takes my breath away. Thankyou Lord .

• 5 months later...

Q1. (139:7)

Why do people sometimes want to flee from God?

People sometimes want to flee from God because they are ashamed of their sin, falsely thinking they can hide from God, and that He won

• 1 month later...

[/quote)

People flee from God from various reasons. Some of these reasons are :-

1) They want to enjoy continuining living in sin. They do not want to hear God asking them to repent and return to Him.

2) Some feel quilty because of their sins. They know they are in the wrong. Instead of asking God to forgive them and help them overcome their sin, their guilt make them flee from Him.

3) There is still another group who may flee from God because they feel they cannot cope with what He wants them to do, or they may not like what He wants them to do. **When I was a young christian, my church was very big on missions. It seemed that they want to send every person to missions. I was not prepared for such a big commitment at that time. I felt I had to hide (practically under the pew) everytime my pastor asked us to volunteer for missions. I also wanted to flee at that time because I felt I was being judged when I would not say yes to what they wanted me to do.

4) Sadly, there are others who want to flee from God because they have not been treated very nicely by fellow Christians or the church.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (139:7) Why do people sometimes want to flee from God?

Sin makes us feel guilty. It is like asking why do **** roaches flee light? It is their nature to do that. We flee God because our nature loves the darkness and hates light (see John 3:18-21).

Our faith determines the size of our God. Can He know all things or is He limited? Those who have very little faith in God see Him as very tiny and limited. However those who have walked with God for years have seen how He has worked and thus believe that nothing is impossible with God.

A few times or I have justified my actions in thinking that yes He saw me but won

• 1 month later...

People may want to flee from God because they recognize that He sees all. What they are choosing to do, to say or to think displeases Him. Sin naturally wants to hide. Adam and Eve tried to hide from God after they disobeyed and ate the fruit. They found then could not. A little child will try to hide when they do something wrong too.

It is a delusion. They don't want Him to know. They know they don't measure up. It think that some don't realize that He is omniscient and what they do does matter. If some people's god is reduced to a statue and a miniature grotto can that god protect them much less think or know what they think? If their god had to be carried around on their shoulders, surely it can't discern their thoughts or know their secret actions. I live in this world in Salta, Argentina and the view of God makes me so sad. It is so little.

Yes. A person has to live really clean. Under a constant magnifying glass.

People may want to flee from God because they recognize that He sees all. What they are choosing to do, to say or to think displeases Him. Sin naturally wants to hide. Adam and Eve tried to hide from God after they disobeyed and ate the fruit. They found then could not. A little child will try to hide when they do something wrong too.

It is a delusion. They don't want Him to know. They know they don't measure up. It think that some don't realize that He is omniscient and what they do does matter. If some people's god is reduced to a statue and a miniature grotto can that god protect them much less think or know what they think? If their god had to be carried around on their shoulders, surely it can't discern their thoughts or know their secret actions. I live in this world in Salta, Argentina and the view of God makes me so sad. It is so little.

Yes. A person has to live really clean. Under a constant magnifying glass.

• 4 months later...

Q1. (139:7) Why do people sometimes want to flee from God? To keep their sins in the dark (John 3, 19)

Why do people imagine that God doesn't know what they do? I don't know. They delude themselves to stay in darkness.

Have you ever felt this way? No I am always aware of God and mostly not very proud of myself. Sometimes I am tempted to keep my sins in the dark though I know it can not be done; I feel convicted and have to repent.

• 1 month later...

They (I) flee because I am ashamed, or because I know he will ask more of me than I want to do.

I don't know why anyone could think that God doesn't know what they do -- if he didn't know, he wouldn't be a God worthy of worship! If I were to think that I could deceive God then that makes me better, in that way, than Him. I wouldn't worship such a one.

No -- per above -- I certainly haven't ever imagined He doesn't know what I do or how I feel. I might want to avoid his Word or block my ears and heart from His input to avoid hearing what He requires of me. But that is laziness and lack of courage -- not a theology.