JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (9:3-4a) What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays? How does he prepare? Why is this so important in this case? In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession?

Daniel came before God in sackcloth and ashes as a sign of his humility and intercession for the Israelites.

He prays, pleads, petitions, confesses the sins Of the Israelites and fasts as well as reading the Word.

Sometimes certain prayer gets answered after praying and fasting and humbling oneself before God, because the body is under subjection to the Spirit.

We can prepare for intercession by first of all making sure that we have confessed our sins, Then we must read and meditate on God's Word. We also need to fast and have a genuine concern for that which we are praying.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (9:3-4a) What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays? How does he prepare? Why is this so important in this case? In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession?

Daniel prayed with humility.

He prepared himself first with fasting in order to humble himself before God and have a clean and pure heart before he started to intercede for the nation. He put on sackcloth as a sign of mourning or grief on behalf of Israel and their sins and then he also put of ashes signifying repentance.

He was standing in the gap for the people, Israelites, and he wanted to show God he was sincere in his prayers and actions.

Ways to prepare for intercession would include fasting, worshiip to bring the presence of God, putting on the armour of God, for it is with the Word, Faith, the Name of Jesus and the Blood that we can fight the principalities and powers that come against us.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

a humble broken heart and a serious attitude of repentance. pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes. I prayed to the LORD my God and confessed. the lord was going to destroy .that God would forgive their sin and enable this restoration to take place. in fasting "prayer and petition and humility.

• 3 months later...

Daniel prayed a intense prayer for his people; with deep humiliation before God for his own sins, and the sins of his people. When he prayed he fasted, put on sackcloth, and lay in ashes, to affect himself with the desolations of Jerusalem, he was letting God know that by his actions he was pleading a case for his people; because according to the book of Jeremiah, Jerusalem desolations was coming to an end.

To prepare for intercession I must come to God with a repentence heart. I must forgive those who have trespass against me. Then I began to intercede on behalf of others.

Patricia

• 1 month later...

Daniel's demeanor as he prays is to humble himself by fasting, he wears sackcloth as a sign of mourning for Israel, and places ashes on himself to show total repentence.

He prepares by having a firm resolve to pray humbly and to seek God on Israel's behalf until he receives an answer.This is important because Daniel is taking on his shoulders the sins of his entire nation.

So we, as we prepare to interceed for others,should give very serious thought to their plight, be empathetic and try to take their burden on to our shoulders. If the problem is huge and seems impossible to solve eg: the poor, starving children in our world , what can we do??? Pray constantly with thought and dedication until we have our answer. Please God, help us to pray like Daniel.

• 4 months later...

1.Daniel humble himself to God.(putting aside everything and spending time with the Lord)

2. He prepared by wearing sackcloths and fasting.

3. It is very important to Daniel because he knew only by confessioning his(Israel)sins and asking for forgiveness and mercy will God keep the covenant He (God) promised.

4. You and I must also humble ourselfs before the throne of God. We must read,fast,pray and spend time with God.

• 5 weeks later...

Q2. (9:3-4a)

What is Daniel's demeanour as he prays?

How does he prepare? Why is this so important in this case?

In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession?

Daniel shows determination in this prayer. His prayer was in the will of God, and was not motivated by any selfish desire. He comes humbly before our mighty God, knowing that he can only plead for mercy for his people. He prepared with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes

• 1 month later...

What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays? Daniel was indeed a very godly and humble man. He could have just waited and see what was God going to do with Israel. Instead, he prayed non stop as though he was the one who sinned and he pleaded for mercy as though his life depended on it. His demeanor was one of repentance, humility and determination.

How does he prepare? Daniel fasted, put on sackcloth and applied ashes.

Why is this so important in this case? He came to God in abject humility. Although he knew that God was merciful and forgiving, he does not take God for granted.

In what ways might you and I prepare for intercession? We should learn from Daniel. We should fast and pray fervently, having faith that God will hear and answer us in His own righteousness. In order for us to have the faith and trust, we must spend time reading the Word of God and worshipping Him. If we do not know His character, we will not know how to pray.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Q2. (9:3-4a) What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays?

It was an action he took very seriously. He was very focused on what was doing, very purposeful and resolute. It was not casual or hap-chance.

How does he prepare?

Daniel prepares his heart and mind through fasting, sack cloth and ashes. Through fasting he does not allow the distraction of food and it's pleasure to catch his attention. Sack cloth and ashes show the serious humility that and mourning that he felt.

Why is this so important in this case?

Daniel was making a confession for his people. As the time prophesied for their captivity was being fulfilled, he saw a real need for revival and renewal in the hearts of his countrymen. He saw the whole plan so clearly and recognized how wrong the children of Israel had been.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (9:3-4a) What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays?

Daniel’s demeanor as he prayed was one of humility.

How does he prepare?

Daniel prepared by fasting, and by putting on sackcloth and ashes as a sign of mourning. He was earnestly seeking God’s mercy and favor for sinful people.

It was important for Daniel to prepare himself before he prayed for because he was coming before God representing his people and wanted penitence from God.

We should also prepare ourselves before we come before a Holy God recognizing that we are the ones who need mercy and forgiveness, and it is only God who can completely grant our request.

• 1 year later...

Daniel is prostate before the Lord. He has completely humbled himself, honoring God alone. He prepares by putting in sackcloth and ashes. This shows that he is very serious about his penitence and that he is willing to ask forgiveness in proxy for the whole nation. He probably went to a quiet place where he would not be distracted from his petitions. This is so important because Daniel was not interceding for just himself but for the entire nation. He needed to be completely humble because the people were totally unworthy of God's forgiveness.

I can prepare for intercession by fasting and humbling myself by getting to a quiet place and bowing a knee or lying prostate before the Lord. Once I remove all hindrances and place all my attention on God only then will I be ready to intercede.

• 3 weeks later...

Daniel turned his whole self and attention toward God in humility and prayer for the people. He showed his seriousness through a heart full of prayer and confession before a loving and merciful God. He emptied himself of everything to ready himself before approaching the throne to plead for the mercy and deliverance of the people so that they might return home once again. I can prepare myself in same manner of sorts as Daniel by putting away every hinderance that would take away from my complete attention in focused prayer of intercession before God.

• 2 years later...

What is Daniel's demeanor as he prays?

In fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes," depicts his manner of prayer -- deliberate and abject humility.

He comes asking mercy for a clearly sinful people. He comes humbly.

How does he prepare?

The seriousness of the prayer is expressed by the phrase, "in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes." Fasting was a way to humble oneself before God. Sackcloth was a sign of mourning and with ashes "symbolized the penitence with which Daniel came to represent his people before the Lord."7

Because Daniel believes God's promises for a return. Daniel's prayer was no casual thing, but a firm heart's resolve to seek God for his people until an answer came. Daniel pleads with God on the basis of His character. 

Fast and humble ourselves before God, get in a quiet place, praise and worship. Don't come to God in boldness to plead a righteous cause. God owes you and whom ever you are making intercession for nothing. Instead, come asking mercy for a clearly sinful Individual or people. Come in humility.

• 1 month later...

Daniel is very humble. He realizes that God owes him nothing. He sees his own failings and those of his fellow country men. He fasts and humbles himself even further. He wears a sackcloth and is covered in ashes. He is telling and showing God that he is no better than the dirt under his feet. He was asking a great favor from God and knew that God owed him nothing.

I feel that we must make sure that our own hearts and souls are right with God before we can ask him for anything. We need to make sure that we have confessed our own sins and that we have asked for forgiveness first. Only after that would I feel comfortable to go to God and ask him to help someone else. I would want to make sure that my prayers has the greatest chance of being heard.

• 1 month later...

Daniel’s demeanor as he prays is one of being humble. He prepares by fasting and putting on sack cloth and sitting in ashes. This is so important in this case because he is praying for the nation to be returned to their home land. The way that I can prepare for intercession is too fast and cutting of the outside world for that time.

• 4 months later...

Daniel humbled himself pleaded before God in sackcloth,ashes fasted in his prayer of confession. He associated himself with the sins of his people. Daniel approaches God on the basis of His love in His covenant with His chosen people,nation of Israel.

It is always important that we come into God's presence with humbleness,emptying all negative thoughts n attitudes,confessing failures,worshipping Him for His love, compassion and bring our prayers and supplication to Him. Lam.3:22-23. He is a never failing And never changing God.

• 4 years later...

Remember how the Lord's Prayer begins, with a recognition of God's greatness and holiness? Daniel begins: "O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with all who love him and obey his commands, 5we have sinned and done wrong. We have been wicked and have rebelled; we have turned away from your commands and laws

• 1 year later...

2a. Daniel's demeanor was one of earnestness as he turned his face to God in continual and consistent prayer.He prayed with determination 3 times a day facing Jerusalem.He humbled himself took on the countenance of mourning and pertinent heart.

2b.  Daniel prepared by fasting with is  an act of humility. He clothed himself  in sackcloth the garments of a person in mourning and grieving. Daniel then bathed himself in ashes symbolism of a pertinent person...

2c.  This is important as Daniel is going to appeal to God's righteous character,his merciful and forgiving nature. Knowing that God's justice is to be feared as the exile of his people and the desolation of Jerusalem is as an example Daniel also knows that God's mercies are to me trusted and he always keep his promises to all who loves him and keep his commands.In going to God in open and sincere repentance asking for forgiveness for sinning Daniel knows it is God character to show and bestow mercy.

2d.  We can prepare for intercessional praying by fasting before the service.The service begins with prayers for the renewal and cleansing of minds hearts and spirit for worship.  The session should then leads in praises in prayer and worship songs around the character and goodness of God to mankind throughout the ages.Thanksgiving songs and personal testimonials can be used and in between these are the intercessionals with praises and thanks for God's grace and mercies and peace kindness and our gratitude for past blessings blessings to given. 

• 2 years later...

After reading Jeremiah the Prophet, Daniel 9:3 tells us that Daniel, "Turned to the Lord God and pleaded with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes."  He first turns to the Lord. Next Daniel pleads with prayer and petition--doing all of this while fasting and wearing sackcloth and ashes.  Sackcloth and ashes denote humility. Daniel chose to be humble before God. Preparing for prayer through Scripture study, prayer, petition, fasting and humility--where we truly put ourselves in Thy Will Be Done, truly trusting God to be Our Sovereign King, allows our mind to be focused on God's Will.