JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Prayer and Mourning

Q1. (1:1-6) Why does Nehemiah pray day and night for four months? Why does he fast and weep?

He had great love and devotion for the temple of God and God's people. He was grieved when he heard of the desolation and reproach due to the broken walls and burned gates..a sign of God's favor no longer protecting the remnant in Jerusalem.They were vulnerable. He fasted and wept because of the seriousness, and I believe the Lord put that prayer burden on him and positioned him as cup bearer to the Persian King while in exile, to be able to bring help and facilitate the repairs needed in Jerusalem.

Isn't that excessive?

No, I don't believe it was....He couldn't ask King Artaxerxes for a leave of absence and for financial help. His prayer clearly was for favor with the King, and he received it when the King asked him about his sadness and sorrow of heart when he clearly wasn't sick. It reminds me of Esther who faced death for appearing before the King without his summons first...she fasted and prayed and asked Mordecai and her people to fast and pray for her so that she could request his help....God answered and the King gave her all that she asked for and her people were saved.

Artaxerxes asked Nehemiah what he needed and how long he needed to be gone....God used Nehemiah to right the wrong, via the King's intervention.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (1:1-6) Why does Nehemiah pray day and night for four months? Why does he fast and weep? Isn't that excessive?

Nehemiah feels a very strong connection with his fellow Israelites in Jerusalem. When he gets the news from his brother, Hanani, that the rebuilding of Jerusalem has been not only stopped, but the progress that had been made was being undone by the Samaritans, he is wrought with emotion, "he sat down and wept". He prays to God for four months, he fasts and weeps because he is looking for a way that he can help rebuild the "city where my fathers are buried". Finally, he is moved, by God, to request of the King to let him return and rebuild Jerusalem, a request that the King grants, and asks only how long will it take. No, it is not excessive. The Lord delights in our humbleness, in our recognizance of His ultimate superiority. The fact that Nehemiah prayed for four months before approaching the King shows that he was exercising patience and perseverance in his prayers - he avoids the mistake that Joshua made, in taking Ai so soon after God granted victory over Jericho, before God had commanded him to proceed to the next conquest in their taking of the promised land.

Q1. (1:1-6) Why does Nehemiah pray day and night for four months? Why does he fast and weep? Isn't that excessive?

I believe he prayed, fasted, and wept due to the gravity of the situation he saw...and he knew the only One who could help was God...Excessive...? No. I don't believe it was excessive. I have also found myself in places of "excessive" intercession...but never felt it excessive...just called to do what I believed God was calling me to do.

The answer did finally come.

• 4 weeks later...

He needed to hear from God and when he fasted, he was allowing his spirit to be subject over his body so that his mind was totally focussed on his need and on God. It was not excessive. I don't believe intercession is excessive because God allows us to bear what we can bear and the need was greater than his need for food, comfort, etc

Nehemiah doesn't pray a single prayer but a continuous prayer that your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. They are a series of supplications.

• 6 months later...

Nehemiah, like Danel, identifies with the sins of Israel. He was so distressed with the news of Jerusalem's destruction and the plight of the people, that the burdern he carried was huge. He was also prepared to carry it for as long as it took to break through, hence he prayed day and night for four months. Fasting strengthens our prayers and keeps our spirit in tune with God, and when a burden is so great and causes such grief it often results in weeping, but God sees our tears and bottles them up. This is true intercession.

• 2 months later...

A) THE BIBLE SAYS THE EFFECTUAL FERVENT PRAYER OF A RIGHTEOUS MAN AVAILETH MUCH, THEREFORE NEHEMIAH

HAD TO STICK TO THE TASK UNTILL HE GOT THE DESIRED RESULT. AND BASED ON THE NATURE OF THE SITUATION

NEHEMIAH COULD NOT PRAY ANY MEDIOCRE PRAY.

B) HE HAD TO FAST AND WEEP BECAUSE HE WAS PREGNANT WITH THE SITUATION AND IN ORDER TO GIVE BIRTH

THAT'S WHAT IT TOOK, INTENSE PRAYER AND WEEPING BEFORE THE LORD. WE CAN NERER BE TOO EXCESSIVE

WITH OUR PRAYERS.

• 1 month later...

We have behaved corruptly against you, not obeying the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments that you commanded your servant Moses.To granting him favor. yes it is but He needed to hear from God and when he fasted, he was allowing his spirit to be subject over his body so that his mind was totally focus on his need and on God. I don't believe intercession is excessive because God allows us to bear what we can bear and the need was greater than his need for food, comfort,

• 3 months later...

Nehemiah prayed day and night for four months because he needed guidance from God. He showed humility in his prayer because he was totally depended on God helps. He also included himself in the sins that his people committed before God.

He knew that his people lived in constant fear of attack and brutality because they had no wall to protect them. Many times they tried to restore the wall but was forced to stop. Nehemiaih wanted God to use him but not untill he was ready. Nehemiah fasted and weep to show himself worthy to lead his people to restore Jerusalem. Nehemiah prayer was not for himself but for the people of Jerusalem; he develop a personal relationship with God because he spent time praying Gods' will and that is not excessive.

Patricia

• 1 month later...

Nehemia heard bad news: Daniel prayed so Cyrus let the jews go home but Ezra and his people failed to rebuild the city.

Nehemia knew that he had to ask the king to go home too, even though this was very dangerous to ask.

He prayed for a long time until God gave him the feeling that it was safe to ask the king.

It wasn't excessive.

Jesus Himself told us never ever to give up prayer.

The fasting and weeping wasn't excessive too.

It was his (uitlaatklep) for strong emotions, and sincerity is an important thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Nehemiah's brother brought profoundly distressing news back from Judah, his countrymen were in great trouble.

Nehemiah couldn't even stand when he heard! He wept mourned fasted and prayed. Their suffering and shame were his also.

He was touched to his very soul and therefore it was quite natural for him to act in an excessive manner, that would help him to concentrate all his energy on praying to God.

It makes me feel quite ashamed that when I see starving children and their families in the world (on TV ) living in the worst slums imaginable, although the image is with me every day, I cant apply myself to prayer in the way that Nehemiah does. I weep inside. Lord------- please help me to pray.

• 4 months later...

Nehemiah prayed day and night because God allowed him too. I beleived that its all in God's plan, He (God) knows what He wants from us, whether it be time, patient,humbliness,obedience etc. Nehemiah Loved his nation and people who a great love that he did not care how long it takes he would of continued praying until God give him the answer.

I believe that praying comes with fasting, weeping and giving up our fleshly wants and needs and putting God first. It was not excessive, because when you loves something or someone time does not come before life.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The news Nehemiah received on Jerusalem devastated him. Jerusalem's walls have broken down and her gates burnt, leaving her defenceless and open to more attacks. Nehemiah recognised that only confession for her sins, repentance and God's mercy can protect Jerusalem. Rebuilding the wall with the use of human hands was of no use if prayer was not the foundation.

The situation was very serious and Nehemiah's grief was overwhelming. He prayed, wept and fasted for God's forgiveness, mercy and direction. He prayed fervently for 4 months before he met the King to ask for permission to rebuild the city. On behalf of Jerusalem, he wanted to get right with God first before he sought the favour of men.

Praying day and night for 4 months is NOT excessive. We live in an instant society - our meals can be ready in a matter of minutes, mail received in seconds, etc. We assume that God should answer us instantly and that He is at our beck and call. Personally I think 4 months is quite short for such a massive problem. This is God's grace.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (1:1-6) Why does Nehemiah pray day and night for four months?

He hears very bad news of his countrymen and his homeland of his descents. This moves him. Usually we are passive and unemotional when everything is going well in our life's. God usually stirs us up through such news of crisis. It is evident that God was at work in Nehemiah

• 1 month later...

This is consuming Nehemiah's heart and mind for four months. This is BIG. In a sense it is the survival of the people of Israel, God's own people and their identity. They could have very easily been absorbed into the Babylonian culture and ceased to exist as a separate people. He fast and weeps because he is so affected by this. He shows God his deep concern by his fasting and weeping. He confesses the sins of the nation and fasting and weeping show that one recognizes the seriousness of the situation. I don't think he was on his knees that whole time, he went about his regular duties, but this was constantly on his heart and mind. This seems excessive today because we have forgotten how to really get a hold of God until we get an answer.

• 9 months later...

Q1. (1:1-6) Why does Nehemiah pray day and night for four months?

Nehemiah prays humbly day and night for four months, because he is asking God to hear his prayer and supplication on behalf of him and the people of Israel who have broken His covenant by their disobedience. He confesses the people’s sins as his own, and he prays until he comes in the presence of the king.

Why does he fast and weep?

Nehemiah fast and weep as a sign of suffering.

Isn't that excessive?

No, because Nehemiah is preparing himself to come before God interceding for his people to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem. He is coming as a servant.

• 1 year later...

It looks like Nehemiah prays for four months in order to discern from God what he is to say to the king. He could probably have had an audience with the king at any time but he wants the favor of God most importantly. He fasts and weeps during this time because, like Daniel, he chooses to identify with his sinful nation. He stands in the gap for them, interceding for them that God might show mercy and forgive them. This act of humility is not excessive because God is an "awesome" God. His wrath knows no bounds. Yet, if we realize our sinfulness and truly repent, the Bible says that "his grace is sufficient to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." God wants to restore His people if we will, like Nehemiah, humble others and cry out for mercy. Then, he may even kings, rulers, or other people to further restore us as we walk in His ways again.

• 3 weeks later...

Nehemiah had a heart that was in tune with God's heart and will for the people. Nehemiah shared that passion and love and sought restoration for the people and the land that had been destroyed. When we are burdened with what is on God's heart and have a passion for the things of God then we fast and weep until it is done. Nehemiah was such a man. Four months is a short time in comparision to a stint of 40 years in the desert as Moses spent trying to get the people to the fulfillment of God's love and will for His people.

'

• 1 month later...

Why does Nehemiah pray day and night for four months?

Nehemiah knows where his help will come from, he knows the only source of help that is available for him, and he also know that we must be persistent in our prayer. Jesus gave quite a few examples of being persistant in prayer such as the widow, the friend that was looking for bread and He Himself who prayed through the night a few times, and also He Himself that prayed 3x that the cup must pass Him by. When we pray persistent prayers we 1st of all keep our focus on God and continuously humble ourselves before God because we know we cant fix our situation ourselves, 2ndly we show God the urgency this situation is for us, and if we remind Him of His promises we know He will answer. If i pray for something He didn't promise, He will not answer, or His answer might be NO. Other times He might give what we ask for if it will glorify His Name, but if we ask for what He promised, He will always answer if we pray in earnest

Why does he fast and weep?

He wants to keep his focus on God, he shows that he knows Who can help Him in everything He needs and he weeps because the situation is that serious to him

Isn't that excessive? No

• 2 years later...

Nehemiah knows the sin of the Jewish people. They know that the punishment is deserved but he is going to take the sins of the people upon himself. He is going to pray not only for himself but for all the Jewish nation. He is going to fast and he is going to pray and he is going to weep and literally beg for forgiveness. He is going to keep this up till he knows that God has heard his prayers.

I think that Nehemiah prayed day and night for four months because he wanted to be sure that it was God’s plan that he was putting into action. If it wasn’t God’s plan then it would surely fail. That is the reason that he fasted and weep in order to get closer to God so that he could follow God’s lead.

• 5 months later...

Nehemiah had a caring heart. He learnt that only a reman ant of people lived there and they were in gray affliction,struggling to survive. The city of Jerusalem was in shambles,where there was once great glory there was nothing but great reproach. The city of his father's was in ruins,the Babylonians had destroyed the city walls,gates and temple. Nehemiah was in great anguish over the condition prevailing in Jerusalem. He fervently prays day and night until he gets an answer and asks God to intervene for the restoration of his people and Jerusalem.

For some weeping is a sign of weakness,but with Nehemiah it was a sign of strength. He willingly shared the burden that was crushing others. Nehemiah spent several days fasting,weeping and praying. He knew that somebody had to do something to rescue Jerusalem,he was willing to go and do.He was deeply affected by the prevailing conditions of his people,city and the temple which was in ruins. He grieved for them. Hence, he fasted,wept and prayed. That is not excessive. It is burden for God' s house and His people.

• 4 years later...

When Nehemiah arrived after a three-month journey, he saw the completed Temple and became acquainted with others who had returned to their homeland. But Nehemiah also found a disorganized group of people and a defenseless city with no walls to protect it. Before the Exile, Israel had its own language, king, army, and identity. At this time it had none of these. What the Jews lacked most was leadership; there was no one to show them where to start and what direction to take as they tried to rebuild their city. As soon as Nehemiah arrived, he began a back-to-the-basics program. He helped care for the people’s physical needs by setting up a fair system of government and rebuilding Jerusalem’s walls. He also cared for their spiritual needs by rebuilding broken lives.

Nehemiah is a model of committed, God-honoring leadership, and his book contains many useful lessons for today.Nehemiah was concerned about Jerusalem because it was the Jews’ holy city. As Judah’s capital city, it represented Jewish national identity, and it was blessed with God’s special presence in the Temple. Jewish history centered around the city from the time of Abraham’s gifts to Melchizedek, king of Salem, to the days when Solomon built the glorious Temple in 1 Kings 7:51, and throughout the history of the kings. Nehemiah loved his homeland even though he had lived his whole life in Babylon. He wanted to return to Jerusalem to reunite the Jews and to remove the shame of Jerusalem’s broken-down walls. This would bring glory to God and restore the reality and power of God’s presence among his people.

Nehemiah broke down and wept when he heard that Jerusalem’s walls still had not been rebuilt. Why did this upset him? Walls mean little in most present-day cities, but in Nehemiah’s day they were essential. They offered safety from raids and symbolized strength and peace. Nehemiah also mourned for his people, the Jews, who had been stifled by a previous edict that kept them from rebuilding their walls

Nehemiah was deeply grieved about the condition of Jerusalem, but he didn’t just brood about it. After his initial grief, he prayed, pouring his heart out to God (1:5-11), and he looked for ways to improve the situation. Nehemiah put all his resources of knowledge, experience, and organization into determining what should be done. When tragic news comes to us, we need to first pray. Then seek ways to move beyond grief to specific action that helps those who need it.

• 1 year later...

1a. Nehemiah hearing the conditions of the remnant of Jerusalem prayed day and night for 4 months for God's divine deliverance.Jerusalem was in disgrace having lost the kings protection and now been attacked by the Samaritans with the king's decree.Jerusalem's walls were broken down and it's gate burnt.The city's construction had ceased and people were idle.

1b.  Nehemiah fasted and wept because of the state of Jerusalem's affair.He's severely affected emotionally and spiritually over his peoples' ordeal and as a servant of God held himself responsible to offer prayers for God's intervention and deliverance in Jerusalem's affairs.

1a.  In the times and tradition of Nehemiah and sect to which he belongs this is not excessive as he is within normal spiritual boundaries of an and by  intercessor.His behavior is in the ritual process.Fasting and weeping show a grieving heart and pertinent spirit while and ashes and sackcloth is of mourning.