JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Lord Our Banner

Pastor Ralph

Moses was using his rod as a rallying point for the troops. But since troops in all but the most modern warfare used flags as rallying points, perhaps "banner" conveys the idea effectively to our time.  The staff in Moses' hands, the "rod of God" was that pole or standard lifted high that won the battle for Israel -- Yahweh-nissi.

The Lord is our banner in the battles we face in that it describes one of zhis characteristics -- Yahweh my banner, the one I look to in battle as my rallying point.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle? In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face?

In their first battle, the Israelites, who days before were just slaves,  were now battling the Amalekites. While Joshua was engaging with the Amalekites, Moses was lifting up the rod of God to heaven.When the rod was lifted up Joshua prevailed over the Amalekites, but when Moses's hands got heavy, the Amalekites prevailed. So his companions Hur and Aaron supported Moses's hands on either side, so the victory would be completely theirs. And the Lord, their banner, was the One who fought for them, protected them, and gave them their victory.This story will remind us that the battle against the Amalekites was won, not in the valley on interaction, but in the mountain of intercession. While in the midst of the battle, if Joshua had lifted up his eyes on to the hill, he would have seen three men on the hill,  the one in the middle holding up his hand with a wooden rod. This is a picture of another hill, the hill of Calvary, where a Man, in between two men, was not just lifting a wooden rod, but was pinned to a wooden cross. 

The Lord is our banner in our battle against sin. Our identity is in Him. We become victorious not in our efforts, but in Him. Our lives are a testimony of His faithfulness over our lives. His banner over us is His love, and because His love towards us is unchanging, nothing can separate us from Him. His great love saw us in His kingdom. The One who did not spare His own Son, what will He withhold from us. Every step that I take is a witness to His amazing, unending, limitless love over my life. He will fight my battles, and I will dwell in the secret place of the Most High. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2006 at 5:44 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle? In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face?

Moses' rod was like a signal pole in the battle in the sense that his rod was used as a rallying point for the troops. Whenever Moses lifted up his hands to the heavens, the Israelites would win the battle, but when he lowered his hands, the Amalekites would win. So to the Israelites fighting the battle, they knew that Moses' hands were lifted up when they were winning.

Moses gave the altar he built the name Jehovah Nissi which means the Lord is my banner. God is our rallying point. We look to Him in our battles as our encouragement and inspiration and He will lead us to victory.

• 11 months later...

Moses' rod was like a signal pole in that it rallied the Israeli troops to fight and not give up. They knew as long as he held it up they would win against the Amalekites. 

The Lord is our banner because we know He is there alongside of us. He is there praying to the Father for us and we know we are victorious through Him. He is the one who gives us strength and courage.

• 1 month later...

In this battle Moses' rod was like a signal pole to the troops fighting.  Every time they glanced at that rod they remembered how he (Moses) used it against Pharaoh and his sorcerers to eventually get them out of Egypt, how he used it to separate the waters of the Red Sea and get them through  on dry ground,  and how he used the same rod to bring the waters back together to drowned  the Egyptians who were following hard on their heels. They remembered how it was the very same rod Moses used to strike the rock to get them water when they were thirsty.  Most important, they knew that the great I AM THAT I AM was with Moses, so when they looked on the rod lifted high is his hand they recognized it as a signal/sign that YAHWEH had this one too, and that He was right there fighting alongside them.

When we are faced with battles, as children of God, we can lift our eyes and our voices to our awesome Heavenly Father from whom we draw strength and courage, and have Him rush to our rescue.  Isaiah 59:19 states "When the enemy comes in, like a flood the Spirit of the LORD will lift up a standard against him".  We can rest assured that in spite of what may come up against us we do not have to worry or be afraid, for we can go to bed on Psalm 18.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2006 at 8:44 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle?  Moses' rod was also known as the staff of God, which Moses held up to rally the army for battle. It was a way to show the enemies that the God of Israel was fighting for His elects.

In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face? It is telling our enemies that the Lord God is fighting for us, and the banner is the power of God that we wave in the face of our enemies-- Yahweh is my banner. "The LORD, your God, is in your midst, a warrior (gibbôr) who gives victory" (Zephaniah 3:17, NRSV)

• 6 months later...

The rod of God was used in many miracles. Here it had a new role that of giving victory in war. When Moses held up the rod-Israel prevailed.

So I need to offer up my praises unto the Lord ! Isaiah 64:5 underscores that God will meet those in prayer that rejoice and work righteousness.  In prayer time, I can hide in the wounds of Christ Jesus.  After the Temple was built by King Solomon, the Shekinah presence filled the Temple.  St Paul looked to the ✝️ Cross.  His life and preaching centered on the Cross.  I live a life of mortifying the flesh as I look unto Christ Jesus as my High Priest, Saviour and Commander.

• 2 years later...

Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle?
Moses had to keep the rod held up in order for the Israelites to win the battle. God through the rod gave them the strength they needed to keep fighting.

In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face?

When we look to God which our help comes from He will not only help us get through the battles He’ll fight it for us.

• 1 month later...