JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Lord Our Banner

Pastor Ralph

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle? In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face?

The rod was like Moses land. Holding the rod of God, was a visible sign that Israel's victory was in God's hand. His name sticks out like a banner to others.

Moses' rod signalled the presence of the Lord in this war and also was a symbol of victory whenever Moses' hands were lifted up during the war. The Lord our Banner is our defender and our Fighter, He fights on our behalf. We win all our battles because He is there in our midst.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm reminded of the climax of the movie "The Patriot". Near the end of the film, when it looks like the Patriot army was to suffer yet another demoralizing defeat at the hands of Conwallis and the British, the lead character, played by Mel Gibson, rallies the troops by carring the American flag into battle. At the point, these men, who seemed scared and depressed, suddenly find the courage to stand their ground and eventually gain a decisive victory over the British that day, which turned the tide for the entire war, leading up to Yorktown.

While this was probably a fictitional story for the most part, it proves the point. I'm sure that there were times that the Israelites were on the brink of disaster in their fight with the Amalekites at times. All throughout the Pentateuach (sp?), it seemed like their faith was literally hanging by a thread. As long as they saw Moses's rod, it reminded them that God was with them and would not forsake them. That would be enough motivation for them to rally to victory.

In the midst of our struggles in life, it seems like God is very far away. But we have this promise from Jesus that He will "never leave you nor forsake you." I can always trust in my Jehovah-nissi to remind me that I am already victorious, that all I have to do is look to him and be saved from my enemies. Hallelujah!

• 5 weeks later...

Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle?

Exo 17:9 And Moses said unto Joshua, Choose us out men, and go out, fight with Amalek: tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of God in mine hand.

Exo 4:20 And Moses took his wife and his sons, and he returned to the land of Egypt: and Moses took the rod of God in his hand.

Moses saw the wonders done with the rod of God, his shepherd's staff God ordered him to take with him.

Moses had faith in God and he knew God would do many more signs and wonders.

Moses knew God was his source of strength and not the rod; The rod was a banner, a sign, a signal,

God Almighty is with us, He is our strength needed to obtain victory.

Exo 4:17 And thou shalt take this rod in thine hand, wherewith thou shalt do signs.

In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face?

The banner over us is "love" The Lord is love, and it is His love given, found in Christ Jesus, who reconciled us unto God Almighty,

the God of Israel.

Our God has given to us means to prepare us for battle with the enemy. He has given us His Word, His armor, His Spirit, and His Son!

As long as we stay in "faith," stay in the Word, put on God's armor, put on God's righteousness, Christ Jesus, follow the leading of the Holy spirit,

we can face what tomorrow holds, knowing He is our strength in need. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

Moses' rod was like a signal pole because it signalled to God that the Israelites were with him, and it signalled to the Israelites that God was still with them. In our battles, the Lord is our banner in the sense that we trust in Him, and therefore he will hold out for us, just as the banner held out in the battle for Fort McHenry.

• 3 weeks later...
Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle? In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face?

The people knew that as long as they could see Moses holding up the rod, that God was on their side and He has not forsaken them. Moses knew that the Lord would still do wonders for His people, because Moses trusted and believed the Lord in everything He said. The people saw God as their banner, as their refuge, and their victor. The Lord is our banner because He goes before us and fights the battle for us. We can fight beside Him by believing, trusting with all our heart, loving, and He gave us His Son, and the Holy Spirit to help us fight. We can stay strong by staying in His Word, seeking Him, and obeying Him.

As long as it was raised up, the battle was in the Israelits favor. When he would lower it the battle would go to the enenmy. The army could see Moses holding it up in the air, at the top of the hill.

Moses declared that Yahweh Nissi, was the banner of the Israelites, and He is our banner.

Today He is our banner, and we must remember that He is for us, and who can be against us.

It was a symbol to the Armies of Israel that as long as the Banner was raised (the staff of Moses) they knew the Lord was there with them. It was a sign a symbol of the Lord being with us to do battles with us against small enemies and then against even the hardest enemies. His word is our banner that it shows us what he wants from us and gives us guidance and strengthens us as we know he speaks to us through his Living word and guides us.

The rod of Moses was like the flag to the troops. It keeps them focused on their purpose and gives them courage to persevere. God used the rod of Moses to perform several miracles and its presence reminded them of the power of God.

God is our banner. He keeps us focused through the battles of life and causes us to be determine to be victorious in spiritual warfare.

Reva

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle?

Moses up on the hill was visible to the troops in battle below him, and his rod/staff held up in the air was a sign of encouragement to fight on, because his rod was an instrument used of God to perform miracles in Egypt and in the wilderness. As they looked at the rod, the focal point, they remembered that God was present, fighting on their behalf to bring victory.

The Lord is whom I look to in battle...He is the Mighty Warrior who fights for me, who has won victory for me over the enemy. "I am weak but He is strong". "Greater is He who is in me, than he who is in the world." "His banner over me is love." God in me is always a majority.

while Moses'rod was raised they were winning the battle, when the rod was lowered as Moses' arms grew tired they were loosing the battle.

However in lifting up his arms moses was signifying praise to Almighty GOD who had alresdy won this battle on their behalf.

GOD is still fighting and winning our battles as long as I stay/get in line with HIM.

I can't go around causing problems for others and send GOD to take care of them when they are stronger then I am.

As I walk with GOD and go/do as He instructs He goes befor and follows behind me, GOD has my battles in HIM already won.

In Exodus 17, Moses did what the Lord told him to do...he held up the rod ---in spite of being physically tired and all that can accompany that.....he obeyed...because He knew that God had the power for victory in that battle. With the help of others, Moses held up his arms that held the rod....and God gave victory to Joshua. Jehovah Nissi. The rod was a sign to God of Moses' obedience and trust in God for the victory....first, God responded and gave the victory...and second, the Israelites saw the power of God and it was an encouragment to them.

When in trouble (s), I turn to the Lord immediately and place my trust in Him. I find that I cannot be victorious without the Lord giving the victory.

Sandra

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle?

It spoke unspoken truth. The battle was the Lord's. I can only imagine fighting like this, yet it is not hard to believe those fighting kept watch on that rod; their despair and discouragment when it was not visible, and the energy and power it produced when it was.

If I set my eyes upon Him as I face my battles, I too will come through victoriously. However, if I loose sight, I too will become discourage and despaired.

During war often one nation would place a flag in the ground to mark new territory that they had taken. This Flag marked this area as belonging to that nation and anyone removing this banner would have to deal with them. The newly captured territory would be known by that banner placed in the ground and told all that came near who had won the battle.

In the same way the rod of Moses was that banner for the children of Jacob as they fought the Amalekites when they looked up on the hill and saw Moses hands raised they rested on the promised that God had made.

In like manner when we say Yahweh-Nissi we are saying that we are identified already having a victory in Christ Jesus because the promises of God are like the rock which Aaron and Hun sat Moses on, those promises which assure a victory even before the battle has began.

• 4 weeks later...

Moses' rod was like the rod of God in battle which meant that when his arms were raised they were winning the battle but when his hands were lowered, they were on the losing side. . The Lord is our banner because when we are in battle, His banner is raised so we know that He is still fighting the battle for us and rallying us on.

• 3 months later...

As long as the hands were lifted up to the throne of God, and as long as the eyes were fixed on the Lord they won the battle; these 2 things were symbolized by Moses' rod being lifted up.

The banner usually expresses the beliefs and the slogans of those who carry it. When we face battles, we do not face them in our own strength but we face them empowered by His strength and fighting for His cause.

It was the means for Moses to rally the troops against their enemy as well as to show them that their Almighty God was with them and would win victory for them; and the same thing for us when we pray before, during, and after our battles with our flesh, the world, and the devil so that the Lord (as well as other Christian believers) come to our aid and we are then all victorious over these battles of ours that we face and won by the might and power of our Almighty God! Amen!

• 4 weeks later...

Moses's rod was like a signal saying - God we are still in a battle. We still need you to help us, to fight for us! God is our banner when we praise Him by raising our banners (arms) in thansgiving unto Him. We are saying to God what our faith is in Him and His power to overcome in the battle that we are facing. :P

• 4 months later...

The rod MOses held was a representitive of God's power and held all the power of God. He was instructed to hold up the rod by God and was told what would happen. and he did. And as long as he held it up the battles was being won by the Israelites.

The Lord is our banner over us all the time. He is our protector and mentor and we never have to feel like we are alone in a battle. He has promised us that we would always have Him as our banner. Nothing can get through the banner. He knows what we are going through and when the batttle will come.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Names of God: Lesson 2

9So Moses said to Joshua, "Choose for us men, and go out and fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand." 10So Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought with Amalek, while Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. 11Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed, and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. 12But Moses

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...