-Our Maker

-Our God (ĕlōhīm)

-Shepherd

We are to...

-"sing for joy to the LORD"

-"come before His presence with thanksgiving"

-"make a joyful noise to Him with psalms"

-"worship and bow down... [and] kneel before [Him]"

In verse 7b&8, we are also told that when when hear God's voice, we are not to harden our hearts.

The reasons for these actions are given by the Psalmist himself.

Why are we to praise Him?

- v.3- He is the Great God and King above all gods. (V. 4&5 validate His claim to the names in v.3. He is creator, and is therefore above His creation.)

Why are we to worship Him?

-v.7- He is our God. He cares for us.

Why are we to remain attentive to His voice?

-"We are the people of his pasture, the flock under his care"

-John 10:14, 27 I am the Good Shepherd, and I know those that are Mine, and I am known by those who are Mine...My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

Psalm 100.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 95:1-7) How many names, titles, and metaphors of God can you find in this passage, both explicit and implicit? What does the Psalmist call on us to do in response to God revealed in his Names? Why are these actions appropriate?

a)

Verse 1:

- Lord (Y'hovah)

- Rock of our salvation (tsur tsur yeshua)

Verse 3:

- Lord (Y'hovah)

- Great God ('El gadol gadol)

- Great King (melek gadol gadol)

Verses 4-5:

- Creator (indirect)

- Almighty (indirect)

- Maker ('asah)

Verse 6:

- Lord (Y'hovah)

- Maker ('asah)

Verse 7:

- God ('Elohim)

- Shepherd (indirect)

B)

Psalm 95:6-7a (Complete Jewish Bible):

Come, let's bow down and worship; let's kneel before Adonai who made us.

For he is our God, and we are the people in his pasture, the sheep in his care.

We fall to our knees in worship, when we acknowledge Who God is:

The Lord, the Rock of our Salvation, the great God and King, our Creator, the Almighty, the One Who made us. He, our God and our Shepherd. We, his creation and his sheep.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...
Q3. (Psalm 95:1-7) How many names, titles, and metaphors of God can you find in this passage, both explicit and implicit? What does the Psalmist call on us to do in response to God revealed in his Names? Why are these actions appropriate?

-Lord

-Rock of our salvation

-great God

-King above all Gods

-maker

-former

-Lord our maker

-our God

-our shepherd (implied in v. 7)

We are told to sing for joy, shout aloud, come before Him with thanksgiving, extol Him with music and song, bow down in worship and kneel before the Lord our Maker.

These acts of worship are an appropriate response to our Creator who loves us and cares for us deeply.

I see at least 6 or 7 names, titles or metaphors for God. The psalmist tells us that we should be praising Him everyday with thanksgiving and love and reverence. We should worship God in everything we do and thank him unceasingly for meeting our daily needs.

• 1 month later...

Observed names, titles, and metaphors of God in Psalm 95:1-7:

a. the Lord (Yaweh)

b. Rock of our salvation

c. Great God (El Elyon)

d. Great King

e. Lord our Maker

f. Shepherd

The psalmist encourages us to:

a. Make a joyful noise (notice "make"--an act of creation on our part) with psalms as we come before His presence.

b. Worship and bow down before the Lord.

c. Kneel before the Lord.

These actions are appropriate because they celebrate and honor the Lord who is sovereign over all of creation.

• 4 months later...

Names, titles, and metaphors in this passage include: Lord; Rock; Salvation; Great God; Great King; Creator; Maker; and Shepherd.

The Psalmist calls on us to bow down in worship and let us kneel before the Lord our Maker and not to harden our hearts toward Him.

God is worthy of all praise and worship because He is our Creator and has allowed us to participate in creation.

• 1 month later...

Names: LORD, Rock of our salvation, Great God, King above all gods, our Maker, our God.

Implied/Metaphors: One worthy of praise, Shepherd

We are called to kneel, to praise, to worship, to remember who we are and Who God is. These are appropriate because of Who He is and who we are in Him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lord, Rock of our salvation, God, King, Maker, Former, Chief Shepherd, seven names and titles altogether. We must come before Him with thanksgiving and praise Him. Because He is our God, our Shepherd, our Rock.

• 4 weeks later...

I counted seven- Yahweh, the Rock of our salvation, the presence,great God, great King, our Maker, and Shepherd. When the psalmist says that we are "the sheep of his hand," we need to be like sheep, who constantly rely on the guidance of a shepherd to keep from going astray.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Psalm 95:1-7) How many names, titles, and metaphors of God can you find in this passage, both explicit and implicit?

Lord, Rock of salvation, great God, King above all gods, creator of earth and of mankind, Shepherd,

What does the Psalmist call on us to do in response to God revealed in his Names?

For all God has done for us, our response should be seen in great respect and honor, we are going before

the great King!

Let us go before Him with a shout of great joy, with thankfulness, with a song that springs from our hearts in

worship as we bend the knee before Him, falling prostrate in praise before our Maker.

Why are these actions appropriate?

Because He is the Rock of our salvation, He is our great God, our great King, our Maker;

We who are His sheep, are under His care. He is who He is, the I Am! :lol:

• 1 month later...

I count six names for our God. The Psalmist tells us to worship, sing, praise our Lord Jesus. These actions are appropriate because He is our Creator, our Redeemer, our Savior, our Salvation.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (Psalm 95:1-7) How many names, titles, and metaphors of God can you find in this passage, both explicit and implicit?

Lord, Rock of our Salvation, His presence...Omnipotent, Him...I AM, Lord, great God, great King above all gods, His Hand, heights and strength of hills are His, sea is His, He made it, His hands formed the dry land, Lord our maker, He is our God, we're the sheep of His Hand..Shepherd, His voice.

What does the Psalmist call on us to do in response to God revealed in his Names?

Let us worship and bow down, let us kneel before the Lord or Maker in reverent praise and supplication. If you will hear His voice, TODAY, harden not your hearts.

He is our God and King, and our Maker....all praise and honor and worship belong to Him and to Him alone.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many: Lord, Rock, King, Maker. Yahweh, Yahweh

He asks us to sing for joy, shout, praise him with song, bow down, kneel

These are appropriate since He made us in our mother's womb and also has a plan/purpose for each life,,,,,we are His workmanship!!!!

1- rock of our salvation. 2- great GOD. 3- great King. 4- above all gods.

5- He holds all thing in His hands. 6- powerful as the strength of the hills is His also.

7- creator/maker. 8-Lord our maker. 9-our GOD. 10-shepard as we are the people of His pasture.

we are called to knee and worship, also to listen for GOD's voice.

these actions are appropriate because worship draws into the presence of all mighty GOD and glorifies Him for all He is. Not to mention brings great joy and contentment for us.

• 4 months later...

How many names, titles, and metaphors of God can you find in this passage, both explicit and implicit?

I count nine.

Sing, shout, thank Him. extol Him with song, bow and kneel in worship.

Lord, the great God, the Great King, Owner of all things, Creator are names that imply that He is above all. That is why we bow and kneel before Him.

Salvaltion comes from Him, this makes thanksgiving appropriate.

Singing to Him and extoling Him is a natural response to being cared for and loved.

• 3 weeks later...

I see 6 different names and titles. The psalmist encourages us to bow down and worship God because He is above everyone and everything in the eart and therefore all glory and honour and praise should be given to Him. He cares for us as a shepherd who tends to his sheep, therefore God wants to make sure we stay with Him at all times

• 7 months later...

How many names, titles, and metaphors of God can you find in this passage, both explicit and implicit? What does the Psalmist call on us to do in response to God revealed in his Names? Why are these actions appropriate?

Lord, Rock of our salvation, object to give thanksgiving & praise to, Great God, King above all Gods, maker and owner of earth-mountains-seas-dry land, worthy of worship, maker, shepherd.

We are called to hear His voice and not harden our heart. To give praise, thanks, and worship at all God has made and everything God is.

• 5 months later...

Names of God: Lesson 4

Psalm 95:1-7;” 1 Come, let us sing to the LORD!

Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.

2 Let us come to him with thanksgiving.

Let us sing psalms of praise to him.

3 For the LORD is a great God,

a great King above all gods.

4 He holds in his hands the depths of the earth

and the mightiest mountains.

5 The sea belongs to him, for he made it.

His hands formed the dry land, too.

6 Come, let us worship and bow down.

Let us kneel before the LORD our maker,

7 for he is our God.

We are the people he watches over,

the flock under his care.

If only you would listen to his voice today” (NLT).

In these first seven verses of Psalm 95 there are a multitude of names, titles and metaphors concerning the Father. Through these verses the psalmist refers to the LORD as “LORD”, “Rock of our salvation”, “great God”, “great King above all gods”, “our Maker”, and “our God”. Implicitly, our Father God is symbolized as the One who holds all the earth in His hands, the Owner and Maker of the sea and the One who formed the land, One who watches over us and as Shepherd of His flock who are in His care.

The psalmist asks us to “shout joyfully” to Him, to “come to him with thanksgiving”, to sing “psalms of praise to him”, to “worship”, “bow down” and “kneel”, and finally to “listen to His voice today”.

These actions are appropriate because such actions are the human expression of respect and thanks. The psalmist has through these words informed us of the greatness of the Father. Here we read of greatness above and beyond anything we could ascribe such words to here on earth. The psalmist through these metaphors, names and titles is communicating to us the glory of the LORD and how we should respond here and now “today” in our perception of the LORD.

The LORD is our Creator and One who does look after us and does care about us. We can read here the basis of a proper relationship personally with the LORD. This is how we should respond; in worship, humility, happiness and giving thanks, “today”, in the present. Our LORD is always there, the “Rock” and He is our salvation. His Love never changes and, in this life that ever changes and fluctuates, there is One we can be sure of at all times; The LORD our God!

• 4 weeks later...

The names, titles, and metaphors of God found in Psalm 95:1-7 are:

Lord, Rock, salvation, Great God, Great King, His Hand, Our Maker, and Our God.

As the Psalmist reveals the names of God, he calls on us to:

Sing for joy, shout aloud, come before Him with thanksgiving, extol Him with music and song, bow down in worship, and to kneel before the Lord.

These responses and actions are appropriate, because it reminds us of the holiness of God, it reminds us that God created us, and it reminds us how powerful He is.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Psalm 95:1-7)

How many names, titles, and metaphors of God can you find in this passage, both explicit and implicit?

I could find the following: Lord, Rock, our Salvation, Great God, Omnipotent One, King above all, Owner of all, Maker, our God, and Good Shepherd; I suppose there are many more. We are to sing for joy to the Lord; joyfully shout to the Rock of our salvation; come into His presence with thanksgiving; glorify Him with music and song; bow down in worship; kneel before the Lord our Maker. We do all this because He is to be praised for all the things He is

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

In the version I have, I see the LORD, Rock of our salvation, great God, great King, LORD our Maker, our God and Shepherd. The Psalmist tells us to sing psalms of praise and kneel and worship our great maker. We should sing songs, shout praises and show gratitude, to our LORD. Our God is so awesome, and we are so unworthy, yet He loves us.

• 1 month later...

[/quote LORD,Rock of salvation,a great GOD, great King, Lord our Maker, Shepherd, our GOD.

Let us sing, Come with Thanksgiving, Sings Psalms of praise, Let us Worship and Bow Down, kneel before.

These actions are appropriate, because he is our GOD, our spirit longs to worship, give thanks, bow down before him.

He is my God, My Rock, My Maker and Shepherd, thank you Father for being all to me.

• 3 months later...

Rock of salvation (v.1), the great God (v.3), the great king (v.3), Creator and Ruler of of the earth (v. 4&5), Maker of mankind (v.6) and Shepherd (v.7). The Psalmist calls on us to bow down and worship, and kneel before Him (v. 6). God is the Creator and Care Taker of us; He is intimately involved in our lives and closely watches over us. Why not bow down and worship Him in adoration and gratitude?

• 3 weeks later...

GOD is The LORD, the ROCK,, the GREAT GOD, the GREAT KING and our MAKER. He is the Creator of the sea and the Potter of the land. He is our SHEPHERD and we are the sheep of His pasture.

We are to kneel down in worship and extol the Name of God is music and song. These actions are appropriate because HE IS WORTHY OF ALL PRAISE AND ADORATION