JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Relativity and Righteousness

1). We know and understand the Righteous and upright God because God is loyal to his word and any legal binding agreement made in his word.

2). We can declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world by being a part of his hand, feet and extending his love through us to others.

3). And effective approach is to show love and care for others. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Q2. If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God? Extra credit for present-day evangelists: How can we declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world? What is an effective approach? (There is no simple answer here. What is an effective communication strategy in your community?)

We cannot understand the Righteous and Upright God if we believe in relative truth and morality! It would be like sitting down to read the Bible blindfolded: how can one see or understand when one does not first know what one seeks to see or understand?

Although I am not a present-day evangelist, I have an idea of how to declare the Lord and His Son in a relativistic world. Because truth and morality are seen as relative these days, we must show the world that love and mercy are alive and well now because God is alive and well. An effective way to demonstrate this is by action; something that physically demonstrates God's love to the world. A soup kitchen, community clean-up, something that meets the physical needs of hurting people helps them believe that there is good in the world. Not "relative" goodness, but the kind of goodness that is based in a loving and merciful God who desires that all come to repentance.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q2. If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God? Extra credit for present-day evangelists: How can we declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world? What is an effective approach? (There is no simple answer here. What is an effective communication strategy in your community?)

If we believe on the relativity of truth and morality of the culture, it looks to me we have a very large problem, and I believe we can see this today in the world.

Even in a relative world we live in We need God and Jesus Christ in our lives, through full faith, education and ministering to the community and we will see this justified by the followers and believers.

If we believe on the relativity of truth and morality of the culture, it looks to me we have a very large problem, and I believe we can see this today in the world.

Even in a relative world we live in We need God and Jesus Christ in our lives, through full faith, education and ministering to the community and we will see this justified by the followers and believers.

I think that effective approach here would be that even though in this relative world that cultures need to truthfully believe in the Words of the Lord, and have full faith in the Lord and Jesus Christ. Beliefs in cultural habits change daily as we see in the world today.,

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing a believer must accept and acknowledge is that Jesus Christ is THE truth and He was THE perfect model in every ethical and moral way. There are some moral values that are universal (such as the right to life and solidarity) and accepted in virtually all human societies. The Bible presents them as principles, and we must understand that these are different from values, which can be culturally shaped.

The summary of God

We can not. Only those that God has called and are saved can understand and know the Righteous and Upright God. Only those that He has given ears to hear and a heart to understand will follow in His moral and upright ways. We can not serve 2 masters.

We declare God by the way we live, the words we speak. People are always watching Christians to see if they live the life they declare they believe.

One approach is to do as Paul did, and come to people where they are. I believe there is nothing wrong with coming to the younger generation with christian rap, hard rock, or any other means that they can relate to. If it gets the Word to them what does it matter the vehicle that takes it to them. As long as we are presenting the Word just as God has given it then we must use whatever means is available to do that.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are in the furnace , it's easy to catch on fire . God warned the Israelites about their neighbours whose beliefs and actions could turn them away from Him. We also live among neighbours and relatives whose values may be completely different from ours . We are called to maintain a life-style that shows our faith . This can be a struggle , especilly if our Christian life-style differs from the norm. Our lives should demonstrate that obeying God takes precedence over conforming to our neighbours' and relatives' way of life . God's Word , not society, dictaces how we should live.

• 3 months later...

Q2. If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God?

God has given to every person an innate moral sense regardless of the culture into which we were born. As part of our culture there lies within us truth and morality. In God's sovereignty He has given to man the ability to know right and wrong thus we were created to know and understand the Righteousness and Upright God. But this understanding and knowledge come after we have accepted Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord, entered into a practice of reading God's Word, spending time with Him and allowing the Holy Spirit to teach us regarding God's truths.

Extra credit for present-day evangelists: How can we declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world? What is an effective approach? (There is no simple answer here. What is an effective communication strategy in your community?)

In declaring God and His Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world the most effective approach is being led by the Holy Spirit. When we give total control to the Holy Spirit we allow God to work through us to effect the lives of people we know little or nothing about, but of whom He knows everything; so that His will is done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I don

If we do not belive in solid, unchanging, irrevocable truth, it seems to me that we will have a rather difficult time knowing and understanding the God who places these attributes at the very heart of His character. Jesus said we would find Him when we searched with every ounce of our strength, when we searched tirelessly as searching for buried treasure. While God still does at times reveal himself to those who did not ask, this is never an entirely sure thing as it is with those who search with all their heart.

Matt 18:3 "and [Jesus] said, 'Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.'"

I don't think I've met many children who are set on the idea of relative truth. That's because they're innocent. They haven't been betrayed or hurt by the world like adults have (although with current social trends, being a child isn't necesarily synonymous with innocence anymore). Relative truth seems to spring from bitterness, hatred, apathy, and self pity.

The world has become so sickly tolerant to everything but intolerance. We, as Christians take a stand for the absolute morality and truth of the Bible, and people ask what right we have to force our view on others around us. It gets confusing, and we may begin to think-- man, what right do I have any more than they do, I mean, I don't want them shoving their views on me. Sherri Vick, a favorite teacher of mine, was talking about the saying--"God says it, I believe it, that settles it." one time. She said, "You know, that really isn't right. It should really just be--'God said it, that settles it.'" I think that really sums up the whole argument. Often we get wrapped up in knowing how to support our reasoning, etc. and we forget that it is not really our reasoning at all, and that we have simply adopted God's reasoning (or at least are in the process of this). So in answer to the question of what right we have to force our views, or to insist on our truth as the absolute, final, and only truth, etc., our answer should be that it is not under our authority that we claim to know the only truth, but we are simply walking in the authority and truth of the Almighty God, Creator of Heaven and Earth. We are simply complying with the existing truth. What right do they have to formulate a conterfeit truth? What right do they have to defy the truth made true by the One who makes their existence possible through the absolute truth of His own existence?

a)

The answer to this question is actually fairly simple. If we believe that truth and morality are relative to one's culture, we CANNOT understand the Righteous One.

Jesus says, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life..." This indicates clearly there is absolute truth, Jesus. The morality is of course linked to this absolute truth. To Jesus. Jesus is "The Truth" wherever, whenever, whatever and however. This is totally culturally independent.

However, I do not fully score out relativism as such. But we need to determine what (in our faith) is absolute truth and what is more relative. In theology a kind of quadrant is used. It looks kinda like this:

There is True relative and True objective. True relative can be sub-divided into Situational relativism and Autonomous relativism. True objective can be sub-divided into "What is important, but not essential for salvation" and "What is essential for salvation".

Examples of the various categories:

True relative - Situational relative

- Going to the movies

- Drinking (not drunkeness)

- Wearing a head covering

True relative - Autonomous relative

- Coke or Pepsi

- Church music

- Best kind of food Basically everything labeled "best of", because this is always based on opinions.

- Best song

True objective - Not essential for salvation (Many things go in here. Many things that are usually put in "Essential" by Christians.

- Views of predestination (Arminianism/Calvinism)

- Date of Christ's returning

- Young earth/old earth

- Canon of Scripture (protestant: 66 books, Catholic: 72 books)

True objective - Essential for salvation

- God exists

- Christ's deity and humanity

- Faith alone (Catholics would not put this in this category)

- The atonement (man's sinfulness and God's work of salvation)

So it is definitely not all black and white as some Christians (especially fundamentalists) sometimes seem to think. It is much more complex than "If it is not white it is black".

B)

I am not an evangelist, so this question I will pass, except for this:

Unlike in the Modern age, postmodernism believes that everything is relative. Could you defend your faith by winning arguments in the Modern Age, in the postmodern world we live in now, this does not work anymore.

The keyword (much more than in the Modern Age) for postmodernism is authenticity. Basically this means "live what you are saying and say what you are living". But of course that is exactly what Jesus already did when he was on earth, :). And all of that from a spirit of love (1 Corinthians 13).

• 2 weeks later...

People are formed by their surroundings and the way of life around them. We can know and understand God's righteousness for God can not lie and his word speaks of his perfect love for all and the selfless acts he does for all whom believe. If someone grows up in a world where truth and love are the only things they are aexposed to then they will know of no other behavior. They will always be truthful and love everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

God has given us His Word which explains in great detail how we are expected to conduct ourselves. Through careful and prayerful study of His Word, we begin a lifelong journey of understanding God. We will never complete that process here on Earth, but we should at least begin to grasp the concept that God's ways are the ways we should follow. His truth is the only truth.

• 6 months later...

We know and understand the Righteous and Upright God from God's Word. God's Word crosses all cultures and time.

The approach is that Jesus's message -- the Gospel -- cuts across cultures and time. Truth does not know a certain culture and time. It applies across all cultures and time. The nature of people are the same across cultures and time.

• 1 month later...

Romans chapter 1 states that we are without excuse because God has shown us that He exists and who He is through creation itself. As a teacher in a Christian school, I was once challenged by one of my students to defend my stand on creation vs evolution. I told him that God has made it plain that He exists. There are so many perfect examples of His hand in creation that there is no way that this world and all of its beauty could have just happened by accident. I told him that it took less faith for me to believe that God created it than to accept all of the gaps, what ifs and unproven and unproveable theories of evolution. Now if God is there then there must be a set of moral rights and wrongs set down by Him and the only reason to deny God

• 1 month later...

We cannot describe God's moral uprightness and truthfulness because the degree of His uprightness and truthfulness cannot be measured. As such the bible tells us to imitate Him and also be holy as He is Holy. Ours is to try by all means try understand His righteousness through the bible and of course through the revelations in our personal lives. As such when we continue to live in Him and He is us, we must expect that His Glory will overcome us and fully become aware of His presence in our everyday lives. In that way we can be able to preach Him through His written word and through our lives. Our lives must witnesses to sinners through His glory in us.

• 1 month later...

Q2. If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God?

I believe that truth and morality are only relative to the Righteous and Upright God.

As much as we would like to make black, white, it is impossible! This is mans wisdom,

but we who are in Christ are instructed to put on the mind of Christ and follow the teaching

of the Holy spirit, and not to follow mans wisdom.

How can we declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world?

First we must know who God is and what He disires of us, and who we are in Christ,

before we could declare them to the world.

1Co 8:6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things

and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all

things and through whom we exist.

We who are Christians, we acknowledge there is but one God,

He is our Father, our origin comes from Him and He rules over us!

He is our great source of power, wisdom, and counsel. The Father's agent in

producing all things is the Son, and all things are formed in accordance with the Father's plan!

We Christians, saved throught the blood of the Lamb, owe our existence to God,

we must live to glorify God the Father, because He sent our Bridegroom, and we

acknowledge we in subjection to the Lord Jesus, for He is Sovereign, and is equal to the Father.

Once we understand who we are in Christ, the world will see Him living in us.

What is an effective approach?

Love your neighbor as yourself, it speaks volumes, not only to them, but to God. :o

• 1 month later...

There is no truth and morality in this world today unless you know Jesus Christ as your savior. His way is the only true and righteous way. We can know God by putting on His righteousness, studying His word, seeking His face, and sharing His love with the world.

• 2 weeks later...

The Word of God is the "plumb line" for truth and morality...Jesus is the Word, and He is the Truth. Like Isaiah when he saw God's holiness and recognized his own sinfulness, we must keep looking into the Word to know and learn about and understand our Holy and Upright God. We know Him through first knowing about Him then desiring to have a relationship with Him and to become holy and righteous ourselves through His work on the cross.

The Bible describes the Word, as looking into a mirror...and that we are cleansed by the washing of the water with the Word. I love the "picture" of the laver in the tabernacle, as the men leaned over the water in the highly polished bronze laver to wash their hands, they saw the reflection of their faces, needing to be "washed". That's how I think about the Word of God....I'm gradually being transformed into His image....still with my personality, but more and more like Him...from glory to glory!

He's the RELATIVE I'm beginning to look like. :unsure:

Extra credit for present-day evangelists: How can we declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world? What is an effective approach? (There is no simple answer here. What is an effective communication strategy in your community?)

I always begin with a short testimony of how He has changed my life...the reality of His Truth in action. Then declare that the Bible is Truth, though all around us is relativity, and His Truth never changes. For me that settles it....His Word never compromises no matter what the world says. If one doesn't believe the Bible is the Truth, there is no foundation from which to declare the Gospel.

The world around us is shifting sand, but He is the Rock we stand on.

He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

• 2 weeks later...

God is not a respector of race or creed, there is neither Jew nor Greek slave nor free we are all ONE in Christ Jesus. we can know and understand the righteous and upright GOD because He tells us if any lack wisdom to ask Him and He will give it freely. As we spend time in GOD's presence we can begin to understand HIS thoughts and ways, although not competely because GOD's thoughts are not our thoughts yet He reveals Himself to us as we draw near and nearer to Him.

We can boldy declare the gospel of GOd as he tells us to. when we are filled with the holy spirit we are baptized with power and might. As we allow GOD to use us as a drink offering poured out on His behalf, He gives us words to use.

Testify about what GOD has done in your life, How He changed you. tell of the miracle of your salvation and how it can pertain to anybody who wants it too.

walk as you believe not just bible thump. the picture you paint is more declaratin of who GOD is then all the words you can manage to utter. LET ME SHOW you who GOD is to me what He has done for me how my life is changed. how He provides, loves and cares for me. be an active worshipor not just particiate in the act of worshipping. live breathe and be as GOD is to you to others.

We are commanded to go into the highways and byways and preach the gospel. GOD doesn;t command us to do anything He isn't going to do through us. open your mouth and He will give you words to say.

GOD provides the opportunities the situations the circumstances, and power to be His witnesses all we have to do is be faithful to Him, know His voice and follow His lead. Through His power He brings salvation to others we are just the tools He uses so we can be blessed by honoring nad glorifying Him.

If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God? It would be very hard....we might want to know Him but if we were given over to relativism we would think God very old-fashioned, out-of-date...and feel very uncomfortable in discussing Him. We would need to have the Holy Spirit convict our minds of our relativism and then repent and come to the Holy, Righteous God through Jesus.

Because relativism pervades most cultures, I always presume that people are relativistic, to one degree or another. I usually lead people to the Lord through Personal Evangelism (Friendship Evangelism) I first search the person's ideas of God, which by asking they do reveal their degree of relativism. From their idea of God, I ask if they are acceptable to God and if so, Why? This brings forth from them their idea of "holiness". I move on with the gospel from that point.

I believe that an effective approach is dependent on many things. all of which must be working together....the evangelist must be convinced of and display God's mercy, God's love, a strong adherence to His Word, a solid and simple presentation of the Gospel, a consistent dependance on the leading of the Spirit, watchfulness as to the replies of the person, constant seeking of God's wisdom, and constant prayer for the Holy Spirit to lead the person to faith. That is the way the Lord is able to use me in winning souls to Him. Last evening, I laid the groundwork for evangelism through friendship when we met a lady at a local restaurant and invited her to sit with us. The conversation will lead to friendship and I did bring up church, God, etc. with her. She has never been to church except for funerals and weddings. My spirit is full of anticipation regarding what the Lord is going to do!!! I have her phone number and we plan to get together with her and her husband.

I am in prayer for her!!