JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Relativity and Righteousness

If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God?

I don't think it possible. We may claim to know God with this belief, but we would be denying who God really is, and really deceiving ourselves and others. The true God of the bible would be distorted and made into what we want Him to be. Again, we really could not understand Him as the Righteous and Upright God because He would never be the same and always changing.

Extra credit for present-day evangelists: How can we declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world? What is an effective approach? (There is no simple answer here. What is an effective communication strategy in your community?)

My answer is slow and steady; like the turlte. It seems people have so many layers of issues and needs that each person requirs a personalized approach. It all begins with love, it just looks different for each person as you reach them where their at. So, a relationship is key, as well as long term commitment. We all need to be truth speaking foot washers; telling the truth plainly, while loving sincerely.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God? Extra credit for present-day evangelists: How can we declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world? What is an effective approach? (There is no simple answer here. What is an effective communication strategy in your community?)

If we put our own ideas into what is right and moral, we cannot know and understand the Righteous and upright God because we are all sinners and lawless and we will continue to go around in circles because there will not be any ONE right law, there will be zillions and this would affect our culture and break us down. We will never be able to see the perspective of right from God's side because we wouldn't have Him reigning in us, as set apart into His holiness. We can declare God and Jesus Christ by being the salt of the earth, bringing a taste of His holiness to a world that has become rancid in its own moral decline. When we project |God's glory to the darkness, the beacon of His ways in us, leaves a deep impression on those who watch everything we do. The best approach in evangelism is to have the love of Christ within us. If we don't have His love, we have nothing to give to others because love has a deep compassion and concern for the lost and love wants to take the hands of the lost and lead them to Jesus.

• 9 months later...

Q2. If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God? Extra credit for present-day evangelists: How can we declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world? What is an effective approach? (There is no simple answer here. What is an effective communication strategy in your community?)

There is one truth: God = Father + Son + Spirit.

God is a fair judge.

He will judge us by how we care for other people.

Some cultures are just wicked - like the Hindu system with untouchable people.

This is against Jesus basic rule: don't hurt other people.

I read about an evangelist who said that in Israel lambs were important so the people could understand the lamb op God.

He said that in the country he works in, he better talks about the pig of God because that's what those people immediately understand.

One uses pictures that people see in their environment.

In my country we don't have vineyards so parables with wine are difficult for me.

• 4 months later...

Names of God: Lesson 5

In answer to the first question of how we might understand the Righteous and Upright God relative to the moral status quo of one

• 3 weeks later...

Truth and morality for a believer are relative when it is measured by the Word of God. Once we accept the standards of God and live our lives accordingly then we will understand the Righteous and Upright God. This can only be done by studying and applying the Bible to our daily lives.

The unbeliever

• 1 month later...

Q2.

If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God?

Extra credit for present-day evangelists:

How can we declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world?

What is an effective approach?

(There is no simple answer here. What is an effective communication strategy in your community?)

God is called the Righteous One and the Upright One but we are all sinners and deserve the wrath of God. He only is righteous and upright. I don

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

In most homes now days, God is not the center. Children are not taught right from wrong, they have no idea what is in the Bible, or what the Bible is. Moral decay has brought this nation to the place it is today. We were once a God fearing, great nations. Because it was founded on God's holy Word. But now anything goes. We have gotten so far away from God, we are no better then Israel, each time they turn from God. We need to repent and come back to God, then maybe He will bless us again. Until we do this we will never know and understand the Righteous and Upright God. We are sinners of the worst degree. We abort a baby and justify it, by calling it a fetus. We are tolerating gay marriage and calling it an alternative life style. We do not care for the poor, widows or homeless, as Jesus commanded. We can not continue this way. God is withholding His wrath, simply because of His grace and love for us. We need to let the world see Jesus, through us, we need to live our lives as God's Word teachs us. We need to declare God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit to this sinful world, so more will be saved.

• 4 months later...

God's Word, the Bible should be our standard of living and not the culture that we live in.What people find totally unacceptable today, is acceptable tomorrow. God does not change, He is Righteous and Upright, He sets the standard, not human society. Our lives should honor Him, we are called to be a light in the darkness. By living a life that is holy and righteous we are a witness to the Living God. Jesus said we are in the world, but not from the world and we must live a life that is separate and holy. When people look at us, they should see that we are different and we are called to proclaim Jesus as our Savior.

• 2 weeks later...

We cannot understand a Righteous and Holy God while believing in moral relativism. Moral relativity is a very slippery slope. It sets the self up as a god deciding right and wrong from a self-oriented perspective. When we decide truth and morals for ourselves, there is no need for God or atonement because we would say there is no sin. Holy and Righteous cannot be relative. Only a Holy and Righteous God is qualified to decide right and wrong, moral and immoral. Therefore, the only way to know and understand the Righteous and Upright God is to accept that His Word is Absolute Truth and that He has set the moral standard by which we are to live.

Every community has its particular characteristics ao knowing your audience is important. One strategy is to allow discussion that follows through on the effects of moral relativism and what happens to those who do not believe in an absolute truth as well as how people around them are affected by decisions based individual truths and standards. Questions regaring internal guidelines (conscience) are also good converstion starters to help people think and be open to the possibility of Absolute Truth and moral standards which then leads back to God and the necessity of Christ's sacrifice.

• 1 month later...

Indentifying with the concept that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, recognition and understanding of the Righteous and Upright God can be visible by comparison of cultures and their creative output towards the universe...following this concept even further will undoubtedly unveil those who limit movability in expressing the glory of God's kingdom.....so in actuality God's righteousness and uprightness is absolutely not a relative issue but rather expresses the very wholeness of the universe itself......

We can declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world by aligning with entities who represent God's universal understanding....this should not become a strategy.....as the very definition of strategy would require time necessary for action in the alignment process.....those who choose to follow a "relativistic" approach inevitably end up with nothing but their ignorance and hence their ultimate recognition of that which is represented by God's kingdom......

• 2 months later...

If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, we will not be able to know and understand the righteous and Upright God because our standard of righteousness and uprightness will be based on man rather than Him who is our Creator and Ethical Standard. Before we can say anything about anyone we need to know certain thing about that person so, before we can declare God we need to study and know about Him and know what He wants from us otherwise there will be nothing to declare, let people read Him in/through us and then proclaim His good works to people around us. We should teach our children the ethics of God from home catching them young so as to grow up with this ethics also declaring God to everyone we meet in the course of our daily life is very important. Just telling someone Jesus loves him or her can go a long way.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

True there is no simple answer to this question. However, regardless of one’s culture, we must read and study the word of God to know Him in any of His characteristics. We must fellowship with other believers; and we can declare God and His Son Jesus through our testimony. This past summer, my church took the "church" to the streets as a means of communicating. As I understand it, people did get saved that day.

I myself put fliers on cars inviting people to Jesus as a means of communicating to those who don’t know or want to reconnect with Him. How effective this approach might be all the time; only God knows. I can say that once, the Holy Spirit lead me to an apartment complex to pass out some flyers. Afterwards He let me know that we reached some people. To God be the glory!

• 3 weeks later...

God sent his Son, Jesus down to walk as a human yet remain as God to prove his love for us. The most effective approach is to walk the walk with God's light shinning through-to love thse who treat us for harm and forgive immedietly. In doing this we show we have a greater light causing others to ask us why we are different. Then we can share Christ with them and they will be open to this truth.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Q2. If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God?

To some extent morality IS relative to one's culture. Women covering their heads, men not shaving beards, the use of jewelry etc, are all culturally neutral to God, I believe. We still see some devout Christian women refusing to wear makeup and jewelry and dressing really dowdy, as if that brings them closer to God. If they believe it does, who are we to judge? Then there is the little matter of divorce. One in two marriages fail. Read the book of the prophet Malachai for God's views on divorce. Are we to exclude the divorced from out churches?

It is necessary to hold SOME Scripture up to the light of present day culture. If we don't, we'll be as dogmatic as the Islamic extremists! But having said that, we really need to get the core principles of Godly living into our daily lives. We can't arbitrarily choose which Biblical teaching we'll accept and which we'll reject. I truly believe that God Himself will give us understanding and insight into how we should best apply Biblical teaching to the modern world.

I'll give an unrelated example here: Cheating on our tax returns. Jesus said to give to the Emperor what belongs to the Emperor and to give to God what belongs to God. That means paying your tax. That was the context there.

The Bible says homosexuality is wrong. Yet do we condone it because it's culturally popular? We shouldn't. The jury is still out as to whether homosexual people are born that way or if they're the product of their culture and experiences. I used to believe only the latter was true, yet we have people born with all kinds of problems like down's syndrome and autism. Who are we to say people aren't born with a bent to same sex relations? I realize I'm asking more questions than I'm answering but these are all complex issues.

A guy asked me once if I believed in sex before marriage. I asked him to define marriage. In the modern world we can live with our girlfriend and in the eyes of the law of the land we're legally a couple, common law marriage. A church wedding is a joke to the atheists. Even Christian people are being married by civil celebrants in parks and on beaches. The authority to marry people as a civil celebrant is granted by a government NOT under the auspicis of God, but elected by an unbelieving populance.

Extra credit for present-day evangelists: How can we declare God and his Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world? What is an effective approach? (There is no simple answer here. What is an effective communication strategy in your community?)

• 1 year later...

We can know and understand the Righteous and upright God by having a relationship with him. We can show our love for him and help others to understand by walking in his ways and keeping the commandments. If we delay truth ,we deny the Upright or Just One. Truth in different culture varies therefore, truth in one culture may not be truth in another .

We can declare God and his son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world by following their commands. We must try not to be caught up in Cultiral relativism. As Christians we value all people regardless of who they are. Truth is not subjective John 17:17 Truth is absolute and there does exist a moral standard to which all people of the world will be held accountable. Revelation 20:11-12

• 1 year later...

Q2. If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God?

Those who have only the moral compass of their culture, cannot tolerate and are offended by hearing that a Righteous and Upright God is The Truth, Who will lead them into all Truth, and that His Truth alone will set them free. Moral relativism is only "true" to those who live by it apart from Him. I was thinking in terms of the outcries of those who are throwing tantrums, destroying their cities, shooting the police, rioting with loud and deadly protests over the current election...and how they cannot accept anything which differs from what they think is "right" and what they deserve because they want it and are entitled to having it, without any seeming awareness that they are deceived and living a lie. It's a  powerful deception of the enemy who blinds them.

As an evangelist, the only guideline I have found is to be prepared "in season and out of season" to share as the Holy Spirit leads. When I was a new believer I was shown how to "boil down" my testimony to 3 minutes, so that in an elevator ride or in line (with no one behind me) at the grocery store or elsewhere I can share how Jesus has changed my life. I find that much of the time I'm planting seeds or watering others seeds through kindness, service, living for Him, a word here and there and allowing His love to shine through me. I've memorized pertinent scriptures "relative" to salvation and find that they fit easily without sounding preachy into many conversations, as He leads. I'm never argumentative or forceful. I don't think that is effective.

When cult members come to my door, I learned from one who'd later become a believer, that the most powerful way to share with them is my testimony of Jesus work in my life..."because they don't have a testimony...only rules to follow". She shared that after she became a believer through hearing many testimonies at doors she'd knocked upon, the Lord had her go back to every door where someone had taken the time to share their story with her, and thank them for their kindness and to tell them the she is now born again! (Their Bible's have been altered to eliminate every reference to Jesus being God, so it's futile to argue or try to compare scripture with them.) They are well trained and have been through many sessions in front of their peers, of knocking on "doors" and practicing what to say when it is opened) Another Cult has many books considered scripture, so the same is true for them. They too have no testimony of Jesus work in their lives. I have many family members in this second cult, and I never mention "religion" or denomination, but speak freely about Jesus and what He is doing in my life, as He leads.

As a brand new on fire Christian, I made the mistake of inviting two cult members into my living room....thinking it was polite and I was eager to tell them about my Lord and Savior.....they quickly overwhelmed me (double teamed me...as in basketball) so that I couldn't get a word into the conversation. I sent up an "arrow prayer" for help, and 4 minutes later a knock on the door revealed a mature Christian friend and her two daughters who were driving on the freeway near my home and felt impressed to come as she "needs help".  Later I learned the scripture admonition in 2 John 10: "If anyone comes to you and brings a gospel disloyal to what Jesus taught, do NOT WELCOME HIM (or her or them) INTO YOUR HOME." (But DO share at the door!)

One last thing: I might ask if I may pray with them or for them about whatever they've shared is going on in their lives, and I've only been told "no thank you" once. I remember too, that I'm not responsible for their salvation, that is the work of the Holy Spirit, but we are all called to share and to disciple the unbeliever.

• 2 years later...

The Lord of lords is not construed through human imagination. He is the Eternal and Holy One and the transcendent One. Truth is absolute and it is the absolute truth that serves as the benchmark to which we measure everything else. God’s standards are absolute and perfect and it is the standard to which all cultures, at all times have to adhere to, if moral standards have to be upheld in the society. The moral standards of today’s society is like shifting sand whereas God’s absolutes are like a Solid Rock and Sure Foundation. Society’s morals vary from person to person. But God’s standards never change, He never contradicts Himself, in fact there is a consistency that we see in the Scriptures from cover to cover. We have to set aside our moral standards, the standards that we have built up for ourselves, and learn from the Scriptures, what it reveals about the mind of God. This is possible only through the help of the Holy Spirit. In fact, it is only through the Holy Spirit, who removes the veil from our eyes, so that we can understand the Righteous and Upright God and what He wants for our lives.

The relativistic world is so immersed in its understanding of its own right and wrong. I believe a good approach would be to let them know of the absolute moral standards that are laid down in the Ten Commandments. If one of it is broken then, he is guilty of all. It is the realization that one is a sinner that draws anyone to the Savior. Bible says that the Law is like a school master to drive us to Christ. That’s the purpose of the Law. So an approach would be to give an understanding of what God’s moral law requires as given in the Ten Commandments. But of course, there should be a working of the Holy Spirit, for it is He who convicts people of sin, righteousness and judgement. So as we minister, pray for the work of the Holy Spirit.

• 1 year later...

People in our culture or society basically set their own rules and disregard what God says. They think there is more than one way to get to heaven. That you only live once and think Christians are boring and prudish because of what we believe.. The only way they can ever know and understand who He is if they come to Him with an open heart and mind. If they admit that they cannot get to heaven on their own and that they are sinful and He is holy. When they accept Jesus as their Savior and realize He is the only way to know God and be saved. Only the ones who have been washed in the blood can ever really know God.

I believe that we need to meet people where they are at and relate to them first before we can tell them about God. We need to meet their basic needs first and then tell them about Jesus. In my own area I try to mention things about God and how I am trusting Him through this whole pandemic situation and world events and how the Bible predicted it thousands of years ago.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2006 at 11:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, we cannot know and understand the Righteous and Upright God because that kind of belief is literally denying Him and who He is.  Our culture promotes 'every man to his own order', and right there is an absolute denial of the Righteous and Upright One who is truth.  The Bible tells us that the world and its fullness belong to God and therefore it is by His sovereign rule we and everyone else must abide.  Those who don't, will have no part with Him.

I think an effective approach to declaring God and His Son Jesus Christ in a relativistic world is by way of love and the word of God.  Jesus told His disciples to love one another for He said "... by this shall ALL MEN  know that you are my disciples." Hebrews 4: 12 tells us "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword,piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

In my community most people do not want anything to do with God when all is well.  But when they are sick or have a problem that is beyond them, then they want to hear about Him and how He can help them.  One strategy we use is hospital visitation.  The church where I am a member has a deliverance service every Wednesday and I think almost the entire community knows about this.  So another strategy is to invite and pray with those who are suffering from whatever their issue is.  A lot of them find their way there without an invitation.  When they are in desperate need of help, they know only God can provide it for them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2006 at 10:11 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. If we believe that truth and morality are all relative to one's culture, how can we know and understand the Righteous and Upright God?  Well the problem for most people  is in realizing that man's laws were based on God's laws. It really shouldn't be relative because someone who is Chinese should understand that murder is wrong in the same way Americans will perceive it to be wrong.  It is clear as night and day. Those who claim that  it's relative to differing cultures is denying the very fact that the act of murder is wrong, ethically and legally. These are the people who do not believe in the existence of God and therefore they cannot know that it was the Righteous God that laid the foundation for the civilized culture that we have today. This is very clearly defined in the Mosaic and Levitical Laws but people these days won't acknowledge that it was our Creator that not only gave us our bodies and the land to live on, but the also laws and rules to leave justly and fairly with one another. We need to realize that in order for us to live in a respectful and civilized manner with one another, we must first respect, know and fear God.

• 6 months later...

By prayerfully reading and studying the Holy Bible, I can understand the Righteous and Upright God.  This must be done with the help of the Holy Spirit each day.  I wouldn't advise indepth Bible study before bedtime; our brains are not working at 100% capacity.   I take time during the day to slowly study the Holy Bible and write down my meditations.

For years,  I have been underneath the open sky preaching the God's plan of salvation. I have a nice sound system and plenty of Gospel literature to give to inquirer.  Here in NYC it is a prophetic calling.   ",,,for the testimony of Jesus is the gift of prophecy."  (Revelation 19:10)

• 2 years later...

The only way to ever know if God is upright and righteous is by having a relationship with Him. He must dwell within you (the Holy Spirit) and you must have His word hidden in your heart. You have to be in constant communication with Him. Studying His word and meditating on it. We live in a world that is so corrupt, a world that ruled by satan. A lot of today’s church’s aren’t even preaching Gods word. It’s all about making the congregation feel good and any an everything is accepted. It’s all about numbers and money. Which means the church will allow anything. Even going against Gods word, just to fit in and be culturally accepted. It’s sickening and because people don’t have a relationship of their own with God they don’t know if what the preacher is teaching is the truth. There is only one way to God and that’s through his son Yahshua. Gods word which in the Bible is the only truth.  It’s bothersome because no one respects Gods word anymore. We have so many different versions of the Bible, where scripture is either left out or not translated the same. As the world gets closer to the return of Yahshua it gets further and further away from the truth. God is the only truth, His word will never change nor will it pass away. Everything else is temporary. 

By sharing the goodness of God. People that know me that aren’t believers will often ask how have I not given up. Why and how can you go through some of the things you’ve been through and still live life with peace and joy. For them I always say But God! God has carried me though so much, an in each trial I’ve learned more about his character, His love for all man kind and about who and what I am to Him. We are to share His word and our testimonies with the unbelievers. An show them in the word in the Bible to back up what we are saying. We are the watchmen, we aren’t just put here on earth for our own enjoyment. We are to teach and encourage those who don’t know or have known but turned away about God and His love, grace and mercy. When we are filled with the Holy Spirit I believe Gods light shines bright in us. It will cause people to stop an inquire or they will get far away from you. We are here to help glorify God and to help increase His kingdom. It starts with a simple conversation, do you know the awesomeness of God.