JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Helper of the Fatherless

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 68:5) Since our God is the Helper of the Fatherless and the Protector of Widows -- that is, the poorest and weakest of society -- what does this say about a Christian's commitment to social justice in our communities? How should it affect our actions?

Christians should be involved in helping the needy in society by loving their neighbour as they love themselves. Therefore we should want to make sure that we represent them if they have no-one to do this for them by feeding and clothing them, praying for and with them, have a genuine compassion and a genuine desire to help them as unto the Lord. James....true religion is caring for the needy...we fulfil the law of Christ when we do this. We should be happy and eager to help others because grumbling leaves us with a dissatisfied spirit and God will not accept or acknowlege our actions

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Psalm 68:5) Since our God is the Helper of the Fatherless and the Protector of Widows -- that is, the poorest and weakest of society -- what does this say about a Christian's commitment to social justice in our communities? How should it affect our actions?

It is our duty as God's children to look after our less fortunate brothers and sisters. Growing up in a third world country before immigrating to this rich and abundant land of opportunity, the knowledge that some of my extended family is in need serves as a daily reminder that it is my responsibility to share the blessings that God has given me. We must remember that everything we own is His and His alone. As our pastor once preached at church, we are only managers of His wealth...He is the rightful owner!

Although it is certainly true that charity begins at home, I believe that we also need to remember to extend our hands to those outside of our families. Just think that if everyone assumes that someone in need will get the help elsewhere, chances are that person will never get the help they need. We all have to do our part and God will certainly provide.

Finally, I believe that money isn't the only way to help others in need. I believe that we're all blessed by the Almighty God in different ways. For example, some are blessed with time, others with the ability to counsel, others with specific talents..etc..etc.. Therefore, it is our calling to apply ourselves in service of others using what He has given us.

• 1 year later...

Names of God: Lesson 5

In answer to the question about the Father being Helper of the Fatherless and the Protector of Widows, as a Christian I should be committed to doing the Will of the Father. Jesus taught us to love our neighbor as ourselves and this is the cornerstone of His Teaching. Our Father is the God of Justice. We live in a world of much social injustice and we are given this Teaching of love for all people, even to the point of loving and forgiving our enemies. Jesus even taught that the spiritual state of anyone with earthly riches is in poorer health than those who have little; as in the symbol of the camel and the needle.

I would view all of us as poor in one sense or another and really make no distinction here. I would help the rich and the poor, because this is what Jesus taught as the Will of the Father. I interpret through Jesus as Gods Word that we should do our best individually to strive for justice in our communities, as the beatitude Blessed are the merciful encourages, for all people, the weak and the strong. All are loved by the Father and all should love each other as the Father loves each and everyone of us, not just the most successful and the strongest but in equal measure the least successful and the weakest.

As a Christian I will forever try to keep the Word of God who is Jesus Christ, whose final command was,

John 15:12 12 I command you to love each other in the same way that I love you. 13 And here is how to measure it -- the greatest love is shown when people lay down their lives for their friends.

Amen!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Q3. (Psalm 68:5)

Since our God is the Helper of the Fatherless and the Protector of Widows - that is, the poorest and weakest of society - what does this say about a Christian's commitment to social justice in our communities?

How should it affect our actions?

We should all be putting our Christianity into practise by caring for the less fortunate than us

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

We as Christians, are our brothers' keeper. Titus 2:14 " His gave his life to free us from every kind of sin, to cleanse us, and to make us his very own people, totally committed to doing good deeds." That is why as Christians we are committed to taking care of the poorest and the weakest of society. The Apostle Paul, speaking to Timothy, said the Church has a responsibility to care for the needs of all the members. But especially the sick, the poor and the widowed. We have that same responsibility, today. We need to help when ever possible, to glorify God.

• 4 months later...

By helping the poor and needy we demonstrate God's love and compassion. God bless us with work, finances and health, not to enrich ourselves, but to be able to help those in need. We should always stand up for social justice and not turn a blind eye to the suffering of the needy. There are enough food and money in the world so that nobody needs to go hungry or have any need, but people are selfish and just want to enrich themselves.

We are to be Christ's hands and feet so we should be standing in the gap for those who are unprotected and uncared for in society. The proper order for a Christian is to care for our own families and prayfully and wisely reach out to others in need as He brings them forward in our lives.

• 1 month later...

God is the Helper of the Fatherless and the Protector of Widows -- that is, the poorest and weakest of society -- this says a Christian's commitment to social justice in communities could be better guaranteed with educational programs beginning at the high-school level involving school credits for graduation by interactive community efforts for the poor and needy and with each family in the community made aware of their ability to participate (postings in the community, leaflets distributed weekly, week-end gatherings in community playgrounds)in such educational opportunities.....However...due to the religious freedom (and the freedom to not be religious)interactive school credits of working with the poor and needy can still be part of the school curriculum...enhancing those with Christian ideals through this educational process.......

A Christian's actions could be beter affected from educational programs concerning God's compassion made available at an early age, graduating them slowly into a society as an adult with unlimited possibilities in which to express this knowledge......

• 2 months later...

Since is our yardstick for whatever we do, we should render help to those in need and ensure their needs are met which shows our love and care for them and we will wake up daily to see a community full of happy people and this will bring joy to our hearts as children of God knowing that we are doing what God commanded us.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Christians should help those in need if they can. That’s one of the purposes of the church, to help those less fortunate. An individual may not be able to do anything by his or herself but, combined with the church as a whole can make a difference. Not that people can do any and everything about some things all the time, they should at least care about injustices committed. For the most part if we can’t or don’t do anything else, we should pray and ask God to intercede on behalf of those in need.

• 3 weeks later...

To me our commitment for the weak and poorest society are our main commitment.

• 2 years later...

We should also make looking after disadvantaged people our priority. If they don't have their own families to help them they become the responsibility of the church or the state. The church needs to set the example here.

• 1 year later...

A Christian's commitment to social justice in our community should be one of compassion and generosity. As outlined in various texts in both the old and New Testament eg Exodus 22:22 and Deutoronomy 10:18. God defends the cause of the fatherless and widows , and he loves the alien giving him food and clothing. We also know that he who oppresses the poor shows contempt for our Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors Yahweh . Proverbs 14:31) Finally, Matthew 25:36 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat.........

Our actions should be to help others . We can do this by visiting institutions, homes so as to offer our support whether it be emotional or financial.

A Christian's commitment to social justice in our community should be one of compassion and generosity. As outlined in various texts in both the old and New Testament eg Exodus 22:22 and Deutoronomy 10:18. God defends the cause of the fatherless and widows , and he loves the alien giving him food and clothing. We also know that he who oppresses the poor shows contempt for our Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors Yahweh . Proverbs 14:31) Finally, Matthew 25:36 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat.........

Our actions should be to help others . We can do this by visiting institutions, homes so as to offer our support whether it be emotional or financial.

• 1 year later...

We are His "ambassadors" on earth, love letters written on hearts of flesh, not on tablets of stone.   (2 Cor 3:3) As such, we are to take Him into every corner of the earth, and to commit to support those who are in need with time, finances, prayer. (on a personal note, when my family was in crisis due to the 1990 recession and our business suffered such loss that we also lost our home and our insurance, we would have been living in our car, but a Christian family heard of our plight, and never having met us, invited us into their home, where we lived for 18 months. During that time my husband went nearly blind, and a Christian Eye Surgeon who had been greatly blessed, wanted to give "something back for all he'd received", advertised on T.V, for anyone needing eye surgery to contact him. The ad appeared in Idaho where a relative saw it and called to give us the 800 number. We live in California. When we called, we were the only ones who called! The Dr. was stunned that the ad appeared in Idaho! He is in California about 45 min. away from us. He performed the surgery at no cost, 20/20 vision was restored, and we were blessed, as he said he was!!!  The family who took us in were new Christians, and say that we blessed them more than we were blessed! We received those "love letters written on human hearts" with great joy and thanksgiving to our God!

• 2 years later...

Our God is a compassionate God and the Defender, Helper and Protector of the fatherless and widows. As we belong to Him, we should also show the same compassion to the downtrodden of the society and help them from being exploited by others and thus reflect Christ to the society. Probably what we show to the world in words or deeds of kindness could be the only gospel that some may have experienced in their lives. James 1:27 says Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2006 at 7:12 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

As a Christian, we need to mirror God's actions and show Christ's image in us by being involved in society. We need to care for the less fortunate and help those in need.

• 11 months later...

I believe that we need to stand up for the helpless in our country and elsewhere if we can. At the very least we need to pray for them; that God would bring about justice. We need to speak out against abortion, and sex trafficking. and abuse. We should be willing to help feed the ones who are hungry and help the homeless if we can. Elisha helped the widow woman and the  woman whose son died. The prophets spoke out against injustices in Israel and so should we; it is what He would want us to do. 

In everything we do we should be following the example of Christ and the apostles.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2006 at 11:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Since God is the Helper of the Fatherless and the Protector of Widows, it is our Christian duty to follow in His footsteps and do the same.  Paul said 'follow me as I follow Christ'.  In Matthew 6 Jesus instructed us to give help (alms) to those in need.  So I do believe that this should be a very major part of not only the church's but every believer's commitment to social justice in the communities in which we live. 

We should be seeking out the needy widows and fatherless, making sure, as much as we are able to, that they are provided for.  It is what God expects of us. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2006 at 10:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Psalm 68:5) Since our God is the Helper of the Fatherless and the Protector of Widows -- that is, the poorest and weakest of society -- what does this say about a Christian's commitment to social justice in our communities? How should it affect our actions?  I don't consider this an act of social justice but rather an act of philanthropy. It's God keeping His eye on the vulnerable ones in society and making sure that His children show the same giving spirit to those that are in need of help.

I define social justice as a movement to bring about some positive change to injustice that many believe is unfair. A good example of this is the mobs of people that organize, protest and loot in the name of racial inequality. Though these acts are carried out in the name of social justice, it's just a series of hostile attacks in disguise. This is not a Christian principle. Like the scripture says, leave the battle for God because He will fight for you. We should stay at peace. (Exodus 14:14)