JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Justice, Vengeance, and Mercy

Q4. Define "justice," "vengeance," and "mercy." Can a Holy and Righteous God justly forgive sins without punishing them? What is the significance of the cross in God's righteousness?

1). Justic - getting what you deserve, no less, no more. Vengeance - Punishment inflicted in retaliation for an injury or defense.

Mercy - forgiveness.

2). The cross significance in God righteousness tells us how, he himself bore our sins in his body that we might die to sin and live for righteousness and by his wounds we have been heal. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Q4. Define "justice," "vengeance," and "mercy." Can a Holy and Righteous God justly forgive sins without punishing them? What is the significance of the cross in God's righteousness?

Justice is what one deserves according to their works. Vengeance is the fair dealing out of justice. Mercy is forgiveness of one's actions and the decision not to mete out vengeance.

Our Holy and Righteous God sees Christ's sacrifice on the cross as sufficient justice for our sins, so that, in effect, He is satisfied. However, this does not mean that we get a free ride. To paraphrase the beginning of Romans 6: "Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin, how can we live in it any longer." Also, Jesus states that if we love Him, we will keep His commandments.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

justice-fairness

vengeance-revenge

mercy-pity

No he can't!. God sacrificed his Son on the cross, to forgive our sins that the Lord knew were coming even though we were not present at that time. Justice was given through the sacrifice of Jesus. But, we all have hard work ahead of us to be committed to the Lord and Jesus Christ so at judegment day the doors will open for us to the Kingdom of Heaven.

Two Bible verses come to mind:

But He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities, the punishment that brought us peace was upon him.

Another is my favorite verse:

John 3:16

"For God so loved the world the He Gave His only begotten Son, That whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but will have Everlasting Life".

• 2 weeks later...

Justice would be

• 4 weeks later...

Justice-The quality of being fair conformity to truth, it also means the quality of being just , impartial or fair.

Vengeance-Punishment inflicted in retaliation for an inury or harm inflicted in response to harm received.

Mercy- Compassion or forbearnce shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power , a blessing that is an act of devine favor or compassion.

God is Holy and He hates sin , He must punish sin to show how serous sin is , but He is also very Loving , when we repent He forguves us from all sin.

• 3 months later...

Q4. Define "justice," "vengeance," and "mercy."

Justice is giving someone what they deserve -- no less, no more. An example of this would be giving a person a bonus for performing an exceptional job and punishing a person who has neglected to perform at their potential.

Vengence is the fair execution of justice. An example of this would be a murderer receiving a just sentence for the crime committed.

"An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" (Exodus 21:24)

Mercy is not giving someone the punishment they deserve.

Can a Holy and Righteous God justly forgive sins without punishing them?

A Holy and Righteous God can forgive one of sins without punishing them. We can be comforted that when we come to God and repent He justifies us and remembers our sins no more.

"I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more." (Isaiah 43:25)

What is the significance of the cross in God's righteousness?

It was at the cross that the just sentence due to us for our sin was carried out in full measure upon Jesus, who voluntarily took our sins upon him and was punished with death on our behalf.

Praise the Lord!

• 4 weeks later...

Justice is something that nobody wants even though many people go to court saying they want justice when they feel they have been wronged. People are guilty of the sin which Adam committed in the Garden of Eden. Justice would mean death to death and separation from God who is holy. The sin of Adam changed the world that the holy God created, and said was good, into a world full of evil. It is no longer a place where God can come to and walk with man as he did before Adam

• 6 months later...

Justice is giving what is deserved.

Vengeance is giving the correct punishment for the crime.

Mercy is overlooking what is deserved and showing compassion.

A Righteous God must make sure every sin receives it just punishment or He is not Righteous.

Being a God of justice, vengeance, mercy, and righteous, our God added up the cost of every person

• 2 weeks later...

a)

Justice

Easton:

Rendering to everyone that which is his due.

Webster:

1) The virtue which consists in giving to everyone what is his due.

2) Impartiality.

3) Equity

4) Vindictive retribution

5) Right

Merriam-Webster:

a) The quality of being just, impartial, or fair.

B) Conforming to truth, fact, or reason.

Vengeance

Webster:

The infliction of pain on another in return for an injury or offense.

Merriam-Webster:

Punishment inflicted in retaliation for an injury or offense.

Mercy

Easton:

Compassion for the miserable.

Webster:

The benevolence, mildness or tenderness of heart which disposes a person to overlook injuries or to treat an offender better than he deserves.

Merriam-Webster:

Compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power.

b )

The Holy and Righteous God, especially because He is also sovereign, could, I guess, justly forgive sins without punishment. But that would go against his character, so God does not do that. Therefore because He is holy and righteous He cannot stand sin and "has to" punish.

It was because of man's disobedience that the first animals were killed. That was to make clothes for Adam and Eve. Ever since sacrifices of animals have been needed to be able to get in touch with God or stand before God. The blood had to flow for the atonement of people.

Jesus became the ultimate sacrifice, once for all. He was punished for our liberation. The punishment we should have had and absolutely deserved, He took upon himself.

The consequence of the sin of Adam and Eve was a punishment. They were chased out of the Garden of Eden. Sin does have consequences. Our free will is respected by God, but our choices do have consequences, not just for us, but even for others. Punishment is one of the consequences. But Jesus took the punishment for us, in our stead.

c)

The Cross, and especially the moment that Jesus, while on the Cross, said, "It is finished", was the ultimate righteousness of God. Jesus died on the cross without having sinned, thus fulfilling the Law and freeing all who believe from the power of sin. He became our Mediator before God. God looks at everyone who believes through the blood of Jesus, the ultimate sacrifice.

The punishment we all deserved because of our sinfulness, was willingly and lovingly received by Jesus, to the point of his Father turning his back on him ("My God, my God, why have you forsaken me")

The Cross was also the ultimate mercy (grace) of God. It was He who took upon himself our punishment. It was God himself!

• 2 weeks later...

Justice: giving someone wht they deserve no more and no less

Vengeance:- punishement inflicted in retaliation for injury

Mrecy:- FORGIVENESS.

The cross symbolizes GOd's never ending mercy for the repentant at heart. He shows Hisa Mercy, Grace and Love to the truly repentant.

Justice~ the upholding of fairness/righteousness. Justice cannot exist without The Law.

Vengeance~ the execution of justice. retribution, a punishment proportionate to the crime.

Mercy~ the with-holding of vengeance. compassion.

The Holy and Righteous God we serve cannot forgive sin without punishment for each sin. Often, I think we as Christians don't take our sin as seriously as we should, because we see sin as simply disappearing. We need to remind ourselves that God does not forgive sins by simply forgetting about them. He first transfers our sin to His Son, and punishes the sin before forgetting. With every sin, we must stop and ask ourselves -- Is this worth the pain that I caused Christ? Would I spit in His face, whip the flesh from His back, or hammer the nails through His hands? Will I again look Him deep in the eyes and deny Him? The cross is so beautiful and incomprehendably crucial because it reconciles God's Holiness and Justice, thus reconciling God and man.

• 4 months later...

"Justice is rendering to every one that which is his due. It has been distinguished from equity in this respect, that while justice means merely the doing what positive law demands, equity means the doing of what is fair and right in every separate case." (Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary)

Vengeance is the act of taking revenge (harming someone in retaliation for something harmful that they have done).

Mercy is leniency and compassion shown toward offenders.

I believe God can and does forgive sins without punishing. I can think of many instances where I willfully disobeyed God and knew when He was allowing me to suffer the results of my disobedience. But there have been other times when I sinned and threw myself on God's mercy, and I really believe that His compassion was great enough that He spared me the result of that sin.

The cross represents God's compassion for us. By allowing Jesus to suffer in our place, He ensured that we have a "place" of mercy and forgiveness to turn when we inevitably mess up.

• 1 month later...

Justice is getting what a person deserves for committing any given crime -- an eye for eye.

Vengeance is the fair execution of justice.

Mercy is forgiveness. A person is forgiven of a crime and doesn't receive what he/she deserves.

The cross is pure grace and mercy.

• 1 month later...

justice is getting what is coming to us when we sin. vengence is pay back for sin, mercy is love and forgivness when we dont have it coming to us i think GOD can forgive with out punishment. he said he would cast our sins as far as the east is from the west never to remember them again he can do what he wants. we pay for sinning and our actions with the out come of them i dont know if that is because of poor judgment or GOD punishment. i dont want to do anything to find out.

• 5 weeks later...
Justice is righteousness, mercy is unmerited favour and vengeance is punishment. God punished(punishment) sin through His righteous(ness) Son who showed to us people His unmerited favour by going to the cross. God sent His righteous Son to come and punish sin through His unmerited favour by being hanged on the cross.

• 3 weeks later...

Justice would be fair and equitable treatment. Vengeance is repaying the crime as it was meted out; mercy is receiving forgiveness in place of punishment.

I've been approached with this question before, especially as it copncerns hell. People argue, "How can a loving God send people to hell?" They forget that He is a righteous and just God also, who must punish sin. The reason for hell is because of all the crimes committed since the dawn of time. If God allowed all the murderers, rapists, warmongers, etc., to go free without retribution for the victims, then He is not a loving God, much less a righteous one. I also tell people that God's mercy is greater than all our sins, that mercy does have limits, and we cannot casually dismiss sin for any reason. That's what makes the cross so wonderful. Jesus cancelled the sin debt so that we can be free from the bondage of sin. This does not give us freedom to sin. Because of Jesus' death and resurrection on my behalf, I want not to sin. Willfully being disobedient is out of the question. Grace gives us freedom from sin and the need to sin.

• 2 months later...

Justice- is what we deserve. Vengeance- retribution for wrong doing. Mercy- God sparing us from what we deserve. Yes, God can forgive us our sins without punishing because when Jesus died on the cross he took that punishment upon himself so we wouldn't have to. When we drepent, he is just to forgive us of our sins. God is a loving and merciful God. THANK YOU LORD FOR LOVING AND SETTING ME FREE, THANK YOU FOR CALVARY, THANK YOU FOR BEING ABLE TO KNEEL AT THE FOOT OF THE CROSS AND ASK FORGIVENESS. I LOVE YOU LORD JESUS WITH ALL MY HEART. BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD.

Often we want justice for others and mercy for ourselves.

Justice is what we deserve. The Bible say the punishment for sin is death. That is our justice.

Vengeance is when God gives us what we deserve. Death. Eternal separation from God.

Mercy was provided so that we do not have to suffer God's vengeance. Jesus Christ took our sins upon himself on the cross. He was the perfect sacrifice. When God looks at us, He sees His Son Jesus rather than our confessed sin.

Q4. Define "justice," "vengeance," and "mercy."

Justice: merited reward or punishment.

Vengeance:Punishment inflicted in return for an injury or offense, retribution.

Mercy:Forbearance from inflicting harm, esp. as punishment under provocation; compassionate treatment of an offender or adversary. Disposition to exercise compassion or forgiveness; willingness to spare or to help.

Can a Holy and Righteous God justly forgive sins without punishing them?

No, He can not.

What is the significance of the cross in God's righteousness?

The cross is where the punishment was meted out for all sin, on Jesus Christ. Mercy was then offered to all sinners who will accept His substitutionary death and resurrection for their sins.

• 3 weeks later...

Justice: Getting what you deserve

Mercy: Not getting what you deserve

(Grace: Getting what you don't deserve)

Vengeance: retribution for offense, being done in an equitable way.

Because God is holy, He cannot fellowship with sin(ful persons). Sin has to be punished as we can see from Isa 53.

The Cross exemplified the justice and righteousness of God where Jesus took onto Himself the punishment for our sins. God's righteous requirements were met on our behalf. Thus, we are set free of that punishment and that sin that kept us from the presence of God.....Free through a relatlonship with Jesus Christ, our Savior. PRAISE HIM!!!

• 4 months later...

Juctice - giving someone what they deserve.

Mercy - not giving someone what they deserve.

Vengeance - punishment inflicted in retaliation for an injury or offense.

No.

A penalty was needing to be paid. To keep right with His (God's) own righteous standard, He had to give the penalty and it had to be paid.

Justice is being merciful. It is punishment that is given to someone who deserves it because they have done something wrong

Vengeance is trying to get back at someone for what they did wrong, even taking the law into your own hands.

Mercy is forgiving someone when they have done something wrong.

When we repent, God forgives us. If we don't repent, He can't forgive us.

The cross is God's mercy to us by avenging our sin through Jesus