JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Extreme Symbolism

I have experienced the Lord's Supper as taken by different denominations and have seen where this highly spiritual event is reduced to nothing more than a ritual. People perform their duty, akin to throwing coins in the collection plate. The significance and emotion of the sacrament is never attained and one is left as empty and unfilled as when they began. This is clearly the result of symbolism.

If balance is a harmonious proportion it would be my thought that this could only occur if the significance of communion was agreed to by all the participants. That is, that the Lord Jesus left us this service of Him, for Him and by Him and should be executed in a manner befitting the sacrifice given with all honor, reverence and humility. Let the Spirit have control and the emotions flow.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have known some people who had the idea that it was just a symbolic and not to important

sacrament of service. The evidence of this is that they would use anything to have communion

I saw them use pepsi and cookies at one time while camping to have a communion service and

the attitude was not serious ! I think almost mocking at times. I did not hang around this group

because of their attitude.

I think a balance of all is that no matter what you think of the elements that the literal, or

figruative belief that it cannot be taken lightly even if it is figurative. It is God's presence

that is there whether it is physical presence or spiritual presence . It is God'Presenceand there needs to be reverence and an attitude of respect when you deal with God's

presence. If I am at my church or another church visiting. When it comes to communion I hold

myself to a respectfull mood and I don't care whether the church has a literal or very symblilc

interpertation. My mood and presence will hold respect for the bread and wine or bread and

grape juice. My respect and the balance I can see is that God's presence it there and has to

be respected. If you get to much symbolic and get an attitude that "it's only. You probably have

that attitude about His presence also and that is sad and should I feel be repented of you are not

even respectfull of his presence in that instance.And I pray for anyone that is that literal that they

awaken their consciences and start to see where they are ignoring the presence of God in their

midst. And I would wonder in some circumstances if God is there when they blow off the importance

of the elements as what they stand for. I hope this answer is not to critical.

To me how Holy Communion is served is not the primary important thing to focus upon. In spite of your surroundings or what others do or say, it is your own intense focus upon the reason for communion and the ONE who commanded us to share in it. Of course it does help to be in unity with the other believers in regards to their practices in serving and believing, but it is a communion between you and the Lord Jesus primarily.....as we all are a part of HIM.

Q2. How can an extreme symbolic interpretation cause a person to have too little respect for the Lord's Supper and its elements? Where is the balance, do you think?

Extreme symbolic interpretation removes the sacred meaning from the elements. If they are only (merely) symbols of Christ

Q2. How can an extreme symbolic interpretation cause a person to have too little respect for the Lord's Supper and its elements? Where is the balance, do you think?

I don't think Jesus intended for us to take the symbols literally in themselves, but I do think He wanted us to have a strong link between the symbols and His suffering. When I take the Bread, I visualize Him broken for me personally. When I take the cup, I visualize the blood shed on the cross for me. It is very personal. This is a rememberence evoked by the symbols. Symbols represents real things. If we see only symbols and don't make the connections, we miss the purpose of the Lord's Supper.

Extreme symbolism makes the Lord's Supper mechanical, leaves no room for interaction with the Holy Spirit. This tends to make receiving the elements repetitious or on the other hand becomes so out of touch with the partaker that it is meaningless.

What I'm trying to say is, as Christians (with the Holy Spirit living inside) when we purpose in our heart to partake of the Lord's Supper it should be personal, meaningful and symbolic. If it is presented in a box there is no room for interpersonal interaction.

I agree with those who cite 1 Corinthians 11. We are told to examine ourselves. I wonder, though, how many times (speaking for myself here) we partake in an unworthy manner because we don't want to face the questions we're sure to get after services as to why we abstained. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm certainly not worthy. As much as I want to be this perfect Christian, I'm still just a sinner. Could it be that this very recognition is what the Scripture means when we're told to examine ourselves? I am humbled by the thought of it and frightened that I might be "guilty of the body and blood of the Lord."

To have merely a symbolic understanding takes away the reverence for the bread and wine making them common and does not set them apart. Whether you believe in the physical presence or the spiritual presence, we need to reverence the bread and wine as sacred and holy. It has a transforming presence within our being which we need to recognize and rest in while giving thanks for the gift of Jesus (or Jesus' spirit) residing within us.

I believe that the Lords Supper is the same as any other " religious ceremony" if we put too much emphesis on the how we forget the why. Jesus gave us a command to do this in remembrance of him...that is just where the balance lies in carrying out the command and not getting so caught up in the details. If it were really important whether the bread and wine were figurative or literal, or how often we should observe the Lords Supper, or whether we all drink out of the same cup or seperate cups etc. etc. then the Bible would have made it perfectly clear. Sometimes we can stumble by trying too hard to be "perfect Christians" which we know we can not be. So we just have to do the best we can with the heart and knowledge that God has given us and His grace covers the rest. Praise God that He sent His Son to bail us out as we can really make a mess of anything if left to our own devises!

How can an extreme symbolic interpretation cause a person to have too little respect for the Lord's Supper and its elements? Where is the balance?

The body and blood of Jesus, the bread and wine, are at the heart of Christian worship. Yes, I think the bread and wine are symbols but the act of worship, the repetition of Jesus' words, "This is my body", "This is my blood", transforms the occasion and therefore the elements of our worship. He is present. Our worship draws us closer to Him. It takes us to the heart of His misinstry. This is achieved with the elements on the table that He taught us to use. This and the occasion on which they are used elevates them from mere food and drink to something that has enduring spiritual value. Accordingly I think, if we downplay the special nature of the elements that we use in the Lord's Supper, we devalue the occasion and the purpose of our worship. This is not simply a meal. Jesus did not intend it to be. It is a celebration of His teaching and His sacrifice for our salvation so we should treat the elements with great respect and not as something everyday.

I am not sure if it is extreme symbolic interpretation or not knowing The Lord thatcauses us to have too little respect for The Lord's Supper.

When I took Communion I really did not understand it. I belonged to the church and knew the Savior died, but did not know Him with my heart. So the Lords Supper was a ritual and not an experience.

When I realized He loved me and died for me, the meaning changed. It no longer was the Passover and Old Covenant for me, but a Communion Feast. The Lords Supper then to me was celebrating His Blood, Body, a New Covenant and repentance that brought me to the Lord. Now I know Him with my heart and not just with my head.

To me His Supper is beautiful no matter where and no matter how! I belive He is there with us when we remember Him and partake of His Blood and Body.

I hope that I will learn more about our Precious Savior and grow closer to Him through this course. Thank You Pastor Ralph. I do believe it will happen.

When we rely too much on symbols, instead of concentrating on the real significance of what we are doing, it tends to take away the holiness from us, then we start to do it by rote, and there is no benefit for us, except an outward show of participation, but then where is my heart when I am partaking of this sacrament? Jesus gave it His all, and so must we. In order not to let it become a

An extreme symbolic interpretation of the elememts of communion would mean that insufficient attention was being paid to the very real spiritual event taking place in which the disciple is truly feeding on the body and blood of Jesus. This must be equivalent to "having a form of religion without the power thereof" which Christ despises -= a very dangerous and deceitful practice!

As I said yesterday, the bread and wine are symbols, but a spiritual event is taking place when a true disciple partake of communion "in "Spirit and in Truth" as Jesus wants us to worship. This event can move mountains, create healing, and indeed was designed to do so. To anticipate less is to deride God. To undervalue the Holy Communion in any way reflects seriously on our Father and upon Jesus whom He sent. We are to know what we have in hand and to use it productively. The bread may look the same afterwards as before, and indeed it may test the same, but it is the front for a major spiritual event and not to bve taken lightly, or without the reconciliations, forgivenesses and humility .

The balance is in paying attention to both aspects of communion, and to the fact of God's very presence there, and all that this implies. It identifies us withthe sacrificed body - is our body totally sacrificed to Him for His good purposes (spiritual circumcision)? It identifies us with the blood poured out. Are we indeed poured out totally for Jesus? Or have we reserves, places we won't go, things we don't want to do? Every moment of His life was spent for us. We owe Him that.

How can an extreme symbolic interpretation cause a person to have too little respect for the Lord's Supper and its elements?

It is very possible that a person who doesn't know the Lord Jesus Christ as their Savior can have no respect at all, simply because they do not know Him in a personal way. Perhaps if the relationship between man and Savior were taught right here before the partaking of the bread and the wine, one might be able to grasp and take hold of a new insight and understand how very sacred this remembrance really is.

The word, interpretation , is where the balance begins to fall. The Word of God is clear. The bread represents His body, broken, which is given for all who would believe..... and the wine represents His blood, which is shed for us, all who would believe. There is no room for interpretation.

Where is the balance? Life or death.

I BELIEVE COMMUNION IS AN ACT OF WORSHIP BEFORE GOD WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO COME FROM HEARTS THAT ARE SINCERELY GRATEFUL FOR THE SACRIFICE OF THE CROSS.BUT IF I SEE COMMUNION AS EXTREMELY SYMBOLIC THEN IT LOSES SIGNIFICANCE AND IT BECOMES SOMETHING I DO BY ROTE OR A RELIGIOUS PRACTICE THAT I ENDURE EVERY TIME I TAKE IT.FOR ME, COMMUNION IS A TIME OF SWEET FELLOWSHIP AND FRIENDSHIP WITH THE LORD.I EXAMINE MYSELF AND I ALSO ASK THE HOLY SPIRIT TO SHOW ME AREAS IN MY LIFE THAT ARE NOT PLEASING TO HIM AND TO HELP ME TO OVERCOME.I TAKE TIME TO REMEMBER THE WORK OF THE CROSS WHERE HIS BODY WAS BEATEN FOR MY HEALING AND HIS BLOOD WAS SHED FOR FORGIVENESS OF MY SINS, AND I'M ALWAYS SO THANKFUL FOR WHAT HE DID.

I BELIEVE THE BALANCE IS IN WHERE YOUR FOCUS IS.COMMUNION COMES FROM THE HEART AND NOT JUST FROM THE LIPS.SINCE MY FOCUS IS ON HIM AND OBEYING HIS WORD, I DO IT OUT OF LOVE AND REVERENCE UNTO THE LORD.IF MY FOCUS IS ON TAKING COMMUNION JUST TO PLEASE MY CHURCH OR FAMILY, THERE'S REALLY NO RESPECT. IT BECOMES JUST ANOTHER THING TO DO RELIGIOUSLY AND HOPE THAT I'M PLEASING GOD...GOD BLESS...

I think we can all see the danger of being flippant or too lax when it comes to God's instructions. We can see the danger of this when we look at other things Christians have treated in the same way - sex, marriage and family relations are some major areas where many of us have "lowered our standards" from the high calling of Christ. Over time, even communion may lose its importance if we do not adhere to Christ's instructions concerning it.

Balance is often difficult to find, and even harder to keep. We are so literal, yet often confused by abstractions and symbolisms. We are uncomfortable in uncertain areas of abstractions, which leave room for vague interpretations, even influence from the enemy. That is just what the Holy Spirit expects us to do, believe and go in faith. We can't spend our entire time in the abstract sphere of thinking, or spirit communion. We are in this world, so must also relate through the real here and now of this world. So, recognizing the balance of real juice and real bread representing the unseen but also very real spirit that nourishes our souls and refreshes our spirit requires a blending of both worlds, as our soul must do with our real world mind and our Holy Spirit filled spirit. The real touch and testable elements represents the very necessary, HOLY and precious powerful salvation elements that make us children of God.

I believe all symbols have power, even or especially the everyday words we use. How much more so then bread and wine symbolising our Saviour's flesh and blood. It is our forgetfulness or our ignorance of the symbolism that may be the problem . Just as we can speak words without realising their power so we can use the bread and wine without realising their power. If one believes they are the presence of Our Saviour then one would perhaps be more likely to treat this sacrament with awe. This in turn could help bring a spiritual experience to the participant. Not to say that someone who believes it is purely figurative does not have a spiritual experience but my thought is that believing it is His presence can help it be a sacred moment.

I think that we can focus too much on what we use, and how we do Eucharist and forget why we do it. The symbols are used to point us to Jesus, and fulfill his direction to "Do this in remembrance of me." The Words of Institution ask God to send His Holy Spirit onto the gifts of bread and wine - therefore something wonderful takes place when we take them into ourselves.

I think a lot that relates to one's attitude at the time of participating is how communion is introduced each time. If it's considered an act like the "offering", then I think it can become too meaningless. I also think that if the servers allow the recepient time to mediatate and do not encourage them to "lets get this overwith" such as having communion cup holders and asking people to hold and meditate would help believers to understand the significance of what we are doing and observing

Anything catagorized as extreme is usually a sign of imbalance. To me, when receiving communuion I believe that the balance lies in the fact that not only are we remembering His death with enormous gratitude, piety and somewhat of a feeling of not deserving what He did for us and being very repentant of heart for our shortcomings, but to also remember what His death symbolizes regarding our life today. One of the missing factors, I believe, in the communion service is the part of rejoicing, therefore leaving the communion table still at the cross instead of being lifted up to our position in Christ as a result of His death.