JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Extreme Symbolism

Am not certain. Maybe draw a person to look more at symbols and material. Than to the real true meaning of GOD. The balance lies in the meaning behind the symbolism. To be reminded of what God did for us. Material things can only give minute pleasurer . Where God can give us ultimate; inimaginable pleasure through Jesus Christ .

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An act always expresses an emotion or belief or commitment. Since we believe in the salvation obtained through the cross of Jesus Christ, we obediently observe what Jesus told us, " Do this in remembrance of me" and exactly in the manner Lord showed us. Amen

Mere symbol denies the conveyance of grace. When I kiss my wife, the act itself is a symbol of my love for her. However, both of us engaged in the kiss receive much more than symbol. It is difficult to articulate the depth of affection; the heretage of the love that we have shared; the physical, emotional, and psycological excange that occurrs in a simple kiss.

Likewise many sinses are engaged in the natural act of communion as well as communication at a supernatural level. The Holy Spirit imparts grace to us when we receive. The richness and reality of this experience is diminished in the mere-symbol interpretation.

• 2 weeks later...

Extreme symbolic interpretation would make people overreact in many cases. The balance is to be able to respect the 'elements' and when receiving them be able to relate the symbolism for the real meaning of the bread and wine. The atmosphere in which the meal is observed is also very important. It is all right be to 'modern' in many things but the Lors's Table needs respect and prayer.

• 2 weeks later...

Extreme meaning "literal" is to cause Christ to die again; extreme meaning "mere symbols" means to mock His life, suffering, death and resurrection. Christ said "do this in rememberence of me." I believe we must feel and deeply acknowledge all that Christ has done for us so that we can be humble and thankful while particpating in the eating and drinking of bread and wine and to live a humble and thankful life to Him.

• 2 weeks later...

If one thinks of the bread and wine as mere symbols, then eventually communion loses its true meaning.

In other words, it just becomes another ritual, something that is done automatically without much thought.

On the other hand, it's important to treat the elements of communion with reverence and respect.

Before communion, our pastor always asks that anyone who isn't a Christian, or who hasn't accepted Christ as their Savior, to just let the elements pass and not partake of the bread and drink at this time.

He then goes on to explain that until one has accepted Christ, the communion ceremony will be meaningless to them.

[quote name='Pastor

Well I believe that if we take the symbolism (literally) it becomes a game. My mother and Grandmother when I was a child and brought up in the church< I always asked if I could have a drink and a piece of bread (Before I knew what it was for). I heard once a month the reason for communion but it went in one ear and out the other. When I asked my Grandmother and Mother for the Sunday treat, thier response was, "What are you taking this for". Not until I was Baptized in the 7th Grade and realized why I was baptized and why we took communion was I allowed to partake.

The balance is where christians need to realize although you might be "breaking bread or crackers" or drinking "wine or grape juice" that what this is actually symbolizes is the "Jesus Christ" was crucified in (body) on the cross and his (Blood) was shed to Save the world from sin.

Each Sunday that I take communion I listen to what the Pastor says and it usually is pretty much the same thing but, but each time I hear the words "body" and "blood" I really look and see what those words really mean to me about Chist.

It can become just another thing to 'do' on Sunday morning.

Sadly I see it every Sunday .... people gossipping and laughing during communion .... there is no sense of reverence or awe.

They have lost sight of the terrible cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Generally speaking, most forms of dogmatism and extremism are dangerous

as they lead to a kind of intolerance to other beliefs. This type of

intolerance often leads to conflict. There is little danger with an extreme

symbolic interpretation of the Lord's Supper causing too little respect for

it though once it is recognized what the symbolism represents. Extremity in

this case should mean a sincere reverence for the elements as they ought not

to be taken at face value of merely a piece of bread/wafer or juice/wine,

but representing the body and blood of Christ sacrificed for the sins of the

world. The experience should only seek to draw us closer to God, and that's

where the balance lies. It's based on a conviction that Christ not only

died, but that he's alive and preparing to return for those who have sought

forgiveness for their sins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hOW CAN A SYMBOLIC INTERPREATIION HAVE LITTLE RESPECT FOR THE lOR'S SUPPEER?

The doctrine of the Lord's supper is fixed to the work of redemption completed at Calvary. lWithout the

shedding of blood and the brokenness of the body, there would have been no hope for us .

For one not to understand the significance of the LOrd's supper, is not to really come to an intimacy

of the love of God, that would bring about such a great ordeal, as to that which Christ layed down his

his life. In the b00k of acts, we understand that it was the will of the Father before the foundation of the world that Jesus would be the LAMB to restore the lost relationship that Adam and eve gave up in the garden

in direct defiance of the command of the Lord.

The true significance is lost if we partake of the Lord's supper by going through the motions in a religious way, with no realization how much it cost of precious saviour , who WILLINGLY layed down His life that we

indeed would eternally live with Him as joint heirs to enjoy all that God has prepared for them who love Him.

With the symbolic interpretation of Holy Communion it is very easy for the real meaning to be forgotten. The balance therefore is to remember that however Holy Communion is interpreted for you, ie whatever christian denomination you belong to there is power there, which comes through the Holy Spirit. This power heals, comforts and challenges us.

Debra

• 2 weeks later...

Extreme Symbolic interpretation waters down what the elements purposely and intendedly represented then and now. The balance is to remember, always what this sacred supper represented. To bring to mind the time, the place, and the people that were there, how they felt about Jesus and what he meant to him. If we can place ourselves there, then I believe the Lords' Supper will never loose it's power to regenerate us.

• 2 weeks later...

How can an extreme symbolic interpretation cause a person to have too little respect for the Lord's Supper and its elements? Where is the balance, do you think?

If one sees the bread and wine as "only" bread and wine, where is the reverence? Before receiving the Body and Blood of our Savior, we must adore Him. He has provided the Way for our salvation.

Jesus said in John 6: 50-51

"This is the bread that comes down from heaven for a man to eat and never die. I myself am the living bread come down from heaven. If anyone eats this bread he shall live forever; the bread I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world."

Q2. How can an extreme symbolic interpretation cause a person to have too little respect for the Lord's Supper and its elements? Where is the balance, do you think?

When we come together as community to partake of the Lord's Supper, we should be focusing on what our Savior did for us and on what He is calling us to do. This sacred meal will help enable us to become who God created us to be. If there is no respect for the elements, we will not be focused on the meaning of partaking of this "Supper" together. Lack of respect for the elements of the Lord's Supper will negate the blessings of partaking of this sacred meal. Part of the meaningfulness of this "Holy Communion" is realizing how Christ's body was broken for our sins so that we may have eternal life with Him. If we cannot see that the bread, which is Christ's body broken for our sins and the wine, which is the blood spilled for our sins, as eternally meaningful for us, we have no reason to be celebrating the Lord's Supper. We are not to come to the Lord's table in a haphazard manner, but with reverence and awe.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. How can an extreme symbolic interpretation cause a person to have too little respect for the Lord's Supper and its elements? Where is the balance, do you think?

Though I do believe the elements of communion are symbolic, it does not make them anyless sacred. The danger of taking it to the extreme such as saying "mere symbolism" is it takes the emphasis off why we are doing this. Jesus commanded us to in rememberance of Him. Jesus made them sacred. This is what we must remember, why we take communion, and not focus on the fact that they are a symbol of His body and blood. We should be focusing on the meaning of the communion.

• 5 months later...

Q2. How can an extreme symbolic interpretation cause a person to have too little respect for the Lord's Supper and its elements?

An extreme symbolic interpretation may cause a person to have too little respect for the Lord's Supper and its elements because it denies the Lord's intention for the ordinance and the opportunity for the Spirit of God to manifest the power of God in us as we partake of the bread and the wine.

Where is the balance, do you think?

The balance comes when we submit to the Lord's command to "do this in rememberance of me." Do it, just because he said so, nothing more. Even though the ritual may be shrouded in mystery; allow God to be glorified in your obedience.

• 3 months later...

Having an extreme symbolic view of the elements can cause a lack of respect or sacredness regarding the elements and the Lord's Supper itself. The balance is that the Lord's Supper is sacred and everything about it is sacred.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Perhaps extreme is the definitive word here. Anything taken to extreme can distroy the positive benefit for which it was originally created or intended. I believe Our Savior used elements from one memorial supper, the passover feast, to institute another memorial supper. The elements used in each do not contain any miraculous or saving power, yet were used to help the participants focus on what great thing God had done for them; whether it be deliverance from the bondage of Eyptian slavery, or the deliverance from the bondage of sin. I think the Jews understood the delicate balance between eating their passover meal, and the opportunity it provided to remember and offer praise to God for their deliverance. So too the bread and the fruit of the vine offer us the opportunity to remember and offer praise to God as well for our deliverance from the bondage of sin and the great expectation of eternal life.

• 9 months later...

How can an extreme symbolic interpretation cause a person to have too little respect for the Lord's Supper and its elements?......

A sense of respect and awe for the elements in the ritual of the Lords Supper is clearly a key factor.

The more loosely we connect Bread and Wine with Christ, the less awesome these Elements become to us.

An extreme symbolic interpretation can greatly diminish the awesomeness of the Elements in a ritual, and can lead to a corresponding lowering of respect, effectively disabling the person who has adopted this view.

where is the balance?...... with my very limited experience of the Lords Supper, I hesitated to answer this part of the question. Who am I to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard), considering that I haven

• 4 weeks later...

If these are purely symbols, one can easily dismiss the Lord's Supper and will not have any impact in ones growth as a faithful christian. The balance is found in the operative words " REMEMBRANCE" and "COVENANT". By remembering His shedding of the blood for me, I have a covenant with Him. By accepting His gift of salvation through His amazing grace , it is my responsibility to prepare myself to that eternal place. Commitment is important because in ones everyday journey, there are many pitfalls. As long as one does not lose track of this, and I believe the Lord's Supper brings one on track, you achieve your purpose.

• 4 months later...

There is a tendency to focus on the substance instead of the one who instituted it.The balance is from the words of Jesus and I quote"Do this in remembrance of me"