JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Sometimes we may feel powerless in our faith, but that my be due to our own personal walk. True, many churches are able to win someone to Christ, but may slack in maturing the new born Christian. As a church, we need to be able to disciple, to help the new born christian grow and mature. I have experienced, that when someone comes to Christ there is rejoicing and even baptism, but that is where it ends. Church families need to have ways where people can be discipled. For example, classes on Spiritual Maturity, small groups etc. These help the young Christian to grow.

It is also important to be involved in some sort of daily Bible study where a young (even an older one for that matter) can daily be in the word. To be a fully mature Christian, we need discipleship, we need to spend time together in group worship, we need to spend time together in fellowship, we need to spend time in evangelism, and in reaching out. We cannot just focus on just one area, all need to be addressed in the church in every church program, event and groups.

Personally, I am a strong believer in small groups, I believe that is where a lot of growing/learning/maturing and fellowship takes place. I try to encourage everyone to get hooked up into a group. I find that when one gets away, from church or a group, they tend to get cold.

Finally, I want to make sure that everyone of our converts came to Christ for the right reason. I feel, that that person coming to Christ, comes to Him, because they have realized that they are in need of him. They have come a point in their life where they realized that they were in fact a sinner, in danger of God's judgement. So they come to Christ, confessing their sins with contrition in their hearts. Seeking a savior, which can only be found in Christ.

I have found out lately, that many were coming to Christ for the wrong reason. They were looking for someting, like a joyful life, a life with no problems. Which is ok, but those are the fruits of a spirit filled life, and not the drawing card for coming to Christ. I have found that those who come to Christ with this kind of an attitude, end up back-sliding and eventually leave the church, because it was not what they had expected.

But those, who come to Christ by repenting and for salvation from their sins, those are the one who really understand the true meaning of grace! They will stay with the church no matter what conflict the world throws at them, because they did not come for the smooth ride, they came for salvation! In fact the more troubles the world throws at them, the more they cling on to Christ!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Ephesians 1:18d) Why are we powerless sometimes? Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith? Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith? How can this be changed?

When we are weak and powerless, due to lack of faith and not staying in the word of God, we began to let some of those weak parts

set in negative to where we get discouraged. I think the change can be taken in effect by showing and expressing scriptures on

faith. The choice is up to the person to believe and stay on the righteous path being guided by the Holy Spirit...

I think it's lack of faith, lack of prayer, and lack of time with God in his word.....With faith, all things are possible....pray without ceasing.....obey his word. In todays' world, we let just about everything else get in the way. We are influenced by what is around us and by society in general. It takes a great deal of courage to speak up against something that so many people accept as "okay". Our ethics and morality have gone so far down hill, how do we climb back up? And when I don't speak up, I'm just as guilty. I lack enough faith to believe that the world can change (the world's a great big place!), I don't pray without ceasing (I'm busy, I've got lots to do, there's other things to think about), and I certainly don't spend enough time in God's word.

I don't know why there are differences or what it would take to change it. I do think that it has to start within each of us. We each have to take those steps ourselves, at the same time reaching out to others to join us. Imagine what the world would be like if we all followed Christ's teachings.

Q3. (Ephesians 1:18d) Why are we powerless sometimes? Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith? Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith? How can this be changed?

Losing Out faith towards God

Yeap its really inadete

By seeing the Faith and power we feel that he is God... So made miracel for the people.. After that no faith for people

By trusting him that he is a creator and almighty.... Then we can Stand firm in Gods path

• 2 weeks later...

:D Yes, I believe that we are powerless because we lack enough faith; because we know that with faith there is nothihg that is impossible to us who can believe. When a congregation and movement

produce disciples with miracle-believing faith it is because that congregation is being fed the Word of God. When a congregation has wimpy faith the opposite is true. The way to change that is to teach and preach the Word of God.

We are powerless sometimes due to the fact that we sometimes disconnect ourselves from our power source-God almighty through lack of faith. Just imagine this scenario: When you connect an iron to a socket current or power flows into the iron making it hot and untouchable. When you touch a hot iron, either you get burned or you a get a shock which can be very disastrous. On the other hand when an iron is disconnected from its power source (socket), it becomes very cold. A cold iron is powerless and harmless.

In the same way when we, christians, are connected to God- our power source- we become hot, powerful, and untouchable (the devil and his demons cannot touch as they will burnt by the power of God) but if we disconnect ourselves from God (our source/socket) we become powerless and cold (the devil will not be affraid to touch us).

ALL CHRISTIANS MUST STAY CONNECTED TO GOD TO REMAIN POWERFUL BECAUSE GOD NEVER RUNS OUT OF POWER.

Churches that produce disciples with wimpy faith must go back to searching the scriptures and they will dicover the exceeding great power available to us in God (Ephesians 1:18, Romans 1:16, etc)

I am powerless when I forget God's words (unfortunately it is to often). Main problem is my faith because it is not easy to believe that all that power lives in me, so if I pray less and read Bible less my faith fade and I feel I can not endure and certainly not do something to deal with some things in life. I think that congregations which are asleep and become more institutional don't feel God's power because some human laws and doctrinec get the first place. Congregations which growth in their faith - living with God and develops in their believes produce disciples with miracle-believeing faith. There is also the answer what has to be changed.

Why are we powerless sometimes? Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith? Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith? How can this be changed?

I have a note in my Bible that is from Matthew Henry's commentary that says "He has appointed us to draw out spiritual blessings and bring them in through prayer. We have no part nor lot in the matter any further than we claim it through faith and prayer".

If we are not reading His Word to have deeper understanding and not in prayer we probably lack power. It is a lack of connection with the source of the power. I believe prayer was always essential to great faith if I put that right. I just remember reading about certain people feeling compelled to much prayer for certain areas before great revivals happened.

PRAY!

God Bless!!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

"What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer."

• 1 month later...

sometimes we feel emotionally strong, like we can do anything. look at peter, he got out of a pefectly good boat and started walking to jesus. he was alright until he took his eyes off christ.( peter had alot of these episodes)and maybe we feel intelligently strong,then theres paul who had some kind of thorn in his side so he could learn to depend on grace and not himself. we are all taught to take care of ourselves from an early age.so our eyes are immediately focused on us. even these days are more dangerous to trust in anyone else so we teach our kids to run from strangers, yet even sin has grown into the schools, and city officials and so on. god has told us to set our hearts on things above and to set our eyes upon things above in colossians chapter 3. hebrews 12:2 says to fix our eyes on jesus.sometimes these huge churches can swallow new believers and they can be overlooked.the bible says to make disciples and not just book ends.if the new believer is not being taught, whose to blame, them? no, it's ours.jesus came to seek and save the lost. we should continue this not only by livivg out the life for ourselves, but reach out with the love he has even shown to us

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The power, Holy Spirit, is always present, always available and always sufficient. If we are powerless, it is because of our faith. There are many reasons this could be - We may become unconnected from His spirit when we lose direction from God's will and desire. Our prayer time may be suffering or being rushed through or even worse skipped. We may be doubting the power in us - we cannot see it, cannot touch it and cannot hear it. If we try really hard, we may feel it, but we are so materially oriented, we lose faith or trust in things we cannot see or touch. Then there is pride, - we think we know what we need to do, what God wants us to do and we know how to do it. We don't need his help or his guidance. Now, talk about a way to do a quick disconnect!!!

Many congretations really focus on His word and his desires. They praise and worship Him and look for his guidance as a group as a body and then working together they accomplish it. Unfortunately there are a lot of congregations that are tearing this way and that, every one trying to do something different. All of their works are genuinely needed, but they are spreading themselves too thin and not working together as a body. Time to seek His guidance and worship him is lost or is merely just a recitation on Sunday morning. This can wear down the people who are doing the work and ultimately nothing is getting done. Sort of like Martha and Mary. Martha is doing doing doing and ultimately not achieving anything that really is lasting and for Him. Mary on the other hand is spending time in His presence. But that can be overdone too. We need as his body to spend time doing what HE WANTS us to do and spending time in his presence. We need balance in our lives and in our work for Him.

• 1 month later...

We are powerless sometimes cause we do not understand the amount of power that is within us. In that way our faith is lacking, we have more than we perceive.

Some congregations see giants, others see a promised land there to take; your focus is your destination

Focus on Jesus and His Words that are Faithfull and True and led the Spirit lead you and not strongholds; They aren't going anywhere unless you use your God given power to remove them

We in and of ourselves are powerless ALL THE TIME. It is only through Jesus Christ through us that we receive any type of power. Once we start believing that the power is in us individually that's when we get in trouble.

Believing in Him and the limitless power that He has can help us to move mountains. It is the lack of faith that slows us or stops us in our tracks. Trusting that we can do all things through Christ is how we can change and become that miracle believer and push that wimpy faith aside.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We are powerless because we don't see it or have enough faith.

It is idadequate because of our faith

Some congregations trust in His word, believe in His word, have faith in His word, while others can't see the truth.

The way to change it is by teaching the word of God for what it really is...the truth.

• 3 months later...

We become powerless because we don't believe in God's ability or desire to use us. We believe that he will use someone else. 'That is what _______ does' etc. I believe that it isn't necessarily a lack in the faith that God can and will move but often in a lack of faith that God can move and will move through me! It is true that some people believe that Christ doesn't move miraculously today but more often that Christ won't move through ourselves, everyday people.

I believe that some congregations and movements are 'producting' disciples with miracle - believing faith because they 'allow' even encourage people to use the giftings of the Holy Spirit in a safe nurturing environment. An environment where they can get it wrong and not be condemned. An environment where they are supported and nurtured into their giftings - where the Holy Spirit can lead.

Eph 1:18 I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,

Eph 1:19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe.

That power is like the working of his mighty strength,

Eph 1:20 which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms,

Eph 1:21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.

Eph 1:22 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church,

Eph 1:23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.

If we truly believe the words of verses 19, i.e. that God

• 1 month later...

The reason we are powerless sometimes is because we are not in tune with our source we lack faith to see the goodness of God all about us. We need to pray for this enlightenment, the Holy Spirit to come to us and strengthen us with his power that we may have the faith to see His hand in all things. The reason why some produce disciples with miracle-believing faith is that these people are in tune with the Holy Spirit...these people pray! While others with wimpy faith are like those Jesus told us about who build their house on sand. When the winds come and the storms hit the house it collapses because they have done nothing to increase their faith. They have not fallen in Love with the Lord. This can change only when we are committed to spending some time each day in prayer with the Lord begging for His Holy Spirit. :o

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, well let me give just another twist to this topic. I have been in a 12 step meeting for a number of years. We learn that WE are powerless over our addictions (mine is trying to fix other people) and that this has made our lives unmanageable. Admitting that I am powerless has helped me in so many ways. I am learning about God's unmeasurable power by giving up my own power. For me it hasn't been a lack of faith but rather that I was playing God in my life and couldn't experience Him in that role! Surrender is the mystery of the Christian faith. We find God's power through surrender, the preaching of it is foolishness to those who are perishing and our flesh tries to keep us from doing it! Admitting that I am powerless and surrendering this to God has also helped me come closer to Him which in turns also helps me to learn about my inheritance in the saints and his unmeasurable power. Now I am able to learn about him in other forms in my life through being powerless.

a) I have leukemia. I am powerless over it. No amount of worrying, quoting a scripture, claiming faith, etc. can take it away. God can. I am not going to say it isn't there when it is, that to me is lying. I know what scripture says. Through my daily surrender of this I find Him in that place. I experience his unmeasurable power giving me the strength to get through the day and be a blessing to others.

B) I am powerless over worry. Growing up with an alcoholic father I learned early how to take in everything and think I had to fix it all. Today I am learning how to surrender this too and learning how to accept God's power in my life at work taking all of the worries.

c) I am powerless over grief. I just lost my niece in a tragic accident. To experience God's power working in my life I also am learning how to surrender this whole experience on a daily level.

Just a few examples. When I "get out of the way" God can come in there and I do experience His unmeasurable power.

Lori

• 2 months later...

We are powerless because we don't believe, we depend on ourselves, or each other and do not look to God, or even appreciate or know that when we are saved we are saved by God's power and mercy. God is sovereign and all powerful, His divine power is the ultimate. It is by faith that we are able to conceive, know and trust completely in His power looking only to Jesus for everything. There are some churches who do not teach, preach or even believe in the saving, sustaining power of Christ. Often today the message is "Jesus is love" (which He is), but it is missed out that Jesus Christ is God, He is the divine Son of God, Saviour, Holy and pure, and it is in Him only that we can stand before a Holy God. Earlier in Ephesians v 17 it says 'revelation of the knowlege of Him', we need to learn about Jesus who he is, what His purpose is, and what His sacrifice was for. Only by becoming aware of our sinful and hopeless state can we begin to know what we have been saved from. The church needs to acknowledge a right thought of God in order for it to begin to breathe the power of God. God is not a powerless God who hopes that people may decide to have Him as saviour, friend or in some extreme cases as 'mate'. God is a Holy divine creator to whom all living things owe their lives, He governs the universe and will one day call to account each one of us.

• 2 months later...

Every question in "question 3" can be answered by a word or two. Faith or the Lack of Faith. This is why we feel powerless. Unbelief is another word for the Lack of Faith. Why do some congregatons have wimpy faith? The members are not reading their Bibles. I'd wager money on this if I weret a betting man. Renewing of the mind comes from reading the word. Reading, hearing, doing. repeat: Reading, hearing doing what is written in the Bible will change congregations, bring revival and sweep the town, city, state, country and the world itself. We need to "get into the fray" Pray pray for the God's heart for lost souls. The ability to speak boldly. We are all going to given an account on what we did for CHRIST. And for those things we didn't do for his kingdom and his glory. I'm just saddened by my own total reluctance to have not joined the fray all these past years. NO more. I'm sold out to Chirst. The only way to shut me up is to extinguish my life or God calls me home. BT AR

BT AR. Naval communications for end of text, No need to respond, off the air, out.

• 2 months later...

unstill the born againt believer be in power from the Holy Spirit and God open the eyes and understand thay are powerless.the source of our faith is the Holy Spirit.The first one have been in power from the Holy Spirit and inlighting by God with understand of him. The second is weak because thay don't have the power of God and there faith is weak so God cannot movie. to movie into God power and ask in faith for the Holy Spirit to in power them.

• 4 weeks later...

We are powerless sometimes because we don't take advantage of the power that we have inside us by the Holy Spirit. It is always an inadequacy with our faith; there is nothing inadequate about the source. Maybe some congregations or movements that produce believers with miracle-believing faith are able to do that because the leaders believe and act accordingly and that not only tends to be contagious, but also draws other like-minded people to them. This can be changed by those believers who have a stronger faith in their strength through the Spirit reaching out to those who maybe are hesitant to access that power.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Ephesians 1:18d) Why are we powerless sometimes?

Interesting question. The beginning of my emotional healing and deliverance from codependency started with the understanding that "I am powerless", and that God is Sovereign. All Powerful...."The Blessed controller of ALL things". I am powerless, because I'm not God. I can exercise self control, a fruit of His Spirit, with His help as I surrender to Him. But I have no control over outcomes, events, other people, and over God. If I'm feeling powerless to do something God is leading me to do, I would say it's my will is not surrendered to His...I either don't want to yield or I'm lazy or depressed...but those are issues of the will also.

Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith?

I believe it is a lack of surrender to His Power which is unlimited in us and for us who believe. His Word says "I can do all things THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME". In my own strength I can do nothing, but when I'm surrendered to Him, and He is operating through me, I can do whatever He calls me to do. I like to think of myself as a glove...useless to accomplish anything of lasting value on my own, but when I allow God to be the "Hand Who" fills me, we can accomplish whatever He wishes through me. Mother Theresa said, "I am just the pencil God writes with"...same idea.

Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith?

I think it's that those who produce miracle-believing faith, teach and model miracle-believing faith, therefore miracles are present in the congregation, such as the Church of which I am a member. I was ill all week with daily headaches and an injured knee. I went to the altar for prayer and was instantly healed, believing I would be, because there are miracles, deliverances, breakthroughs every week. Churches who produce wimpy faith, lack the belief or faith that miracles are for today, so to them there are none.

How can this be changed?

I think all things are accomplished through prayer. I've been believing with a friend in Fresno for her church to become a place of miracles. The pastor does not believe in healing or miracles, yet she believes God has called her to this church. The pastors wife is chronically ill with back issues and faces many painful surgeries. The assoc. pastors wife has a malignant tumor on her neck which is affecting her speech, tongue, etc. We're praying for a divine healing to take place not only for the well being of these women, but as a sign to the unbelieving pastors that miracles are for today. (the pastor refused to have people pray for his wife, so she wouldn't be disappointed when nothing happened.)....We're praying anyway. God is greater than these men's unbelief and lack of faith.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Ephesians 1:18d)

Why are we powerless sometimes?

Is it an inadequacy with the source or with our faith?

Why do some congregations and movements produce disciples with miracle-believing faith and others produce disciples with wimpy faith?

How can this be changed?

It is only when we trust God in our life, and we choose to obey His Word that God will manifest His power in our lives. It is our lack of faith, and the unforgiving sin in our lives that withholds this power. We have to keep focused on our Lord Jesus, confess our sins continuously, study the Word, pray, and let the Holy Spirit transform us daily into the likeness of Jesus. I believe if we try to do things in our own power we will fail miserably.