JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (Ephesians 2:1-3) Few people would knowingly follow Satan. How can people unwittingly follow Satan? In what sense are we responsible for unwitting rebellion against God? How can God, in all fairness, blame us?

some might feel now that i'm born again, i can still live the way i want, say the things i want to, without any regret. like a loose canon or something, after all, christ set us free,right?and there are cuss words in the bible, right? god wants us to grow up in our salvation, to make our call and election sure. he says to seek wisdom and find understanding, to be transformed by renewing our minds.if we chose to stay so simple and shallow, who else is there to blame?2timothy 2:15, BE DILIGENT TO PRESENT YOURSELF APPROVED TO GOD,A WORKER WHO DOES NOT NEED TO BE ASHAMED, RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Satan is the master deceiver. He can make sins look more like pleasing things that will do no harm. Since we naturally tend toward self-gratification, we are too often ready to be deceived into compromise and justification. We are too weak and have too little wisdom to be readily able to discern the truth. Unless we can use the Holy Spirit to help us see through the deception, we are not able to see what is and is not righteous. That combined with ignorance of God

• 1 month later...

We unwittingly follow Satan every day of our lives, when we turn our focus away from God and allow ourselves to be enticed into our human flesh nature; such as gossiping, lying, jealousy, anger, envy, and so many more instinctive habits that just come natural to us. We are ultimately responsible for any action we take. Our Father has given us the choice to make the decisions in our lives. That is why it is so important to consistenly seek the Lord in every decision and in every moment of our lives. We are pitiful in our own right. God has given us every opportunity to follow Him, to obey Him, to LOVE HIM!, Of course He can blame us for our bad decisions, but more than anything I think it just hurts and disappoints Him. It breaks my heart to know that I can and do disappoint Him all the time, I pray that those moments are still becoming few and far between.

Q2. (Ephesians 2:1-3) Few people would knowingly follow Satan. How can people unwittingly follow Satan? In what sense are we responsible for unwitting rebellion against God? How can God, in all fairness, blame us?

People think they are following their own ways and righteousness and do not know they are following satan. We have the Holy Spirit to guide us in all truth, so we have no excuse. God is a righteous God and wrong is wrong, whatever the reason may be. Every act has consequences, and each sin has to be cut off through righteous judgement

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

People unwittingly follow Satan by not following God. You either follow Satan or God - there is no in between - no middle ground. By not following God we end up following Satan - the Deceiver - who helps to make our lives about ourselves. We can't follow two masters and we 'must chose this day whom you will serve', by default if we don't choose God we have chosen Satan.

We are sinners by nature and with every sin we are rebelling against God - we often do it without thinking and it isn't until later we realise. Simply by not being obedient to him we are rebelling against him -> and we all have times when we don't do what we should.

We are responsible for our actions and just :( as here on earth we are held accountable for our actions - so to does god hold us accountable. If it is not us who is accountable for our actions then who is it? Ultimately we have the free will to make our own decisions and therefore, are accountable for the decisions we make!

• 2 weeks later...

Eph 2:1 As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,

Eph 2:2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.

Eph 2:3 All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.

I heard a preacher (Bruce Hills from Garden city church Australia) speak of sharks. Their domain is the sea; and in the sea there is real reason to be weary (In Aust!) of shark attacks- because that is their domain! But

• 1 month later...

Yes, there are few people who would knowingly follow Satan, but they are there...don't foul yourself. Satan is much more intellegent than you or I and He know how to allour us away from God. We are responsible for our actions yes, but God truly loves us and has such mercy and love for us that when we truly turn to him with our whole heart he shows his attributes of Mercy and Great Love. :D

• 4 months later...

All mankind is born under sin, and only the conscience within each soul bears testimony to an inner knowledge of right and wrong. Satan is the power of the air and we follow his ways, we worship self instead of God, we ignore creation before us, we fulfill whatever our heart desires and consciences become deadened. Those who have never been fully convicted of sins before a Holy God may deemed as unwittingly following satan. Some are given over to wickedness and worship satan. We each have a soul which is aware of God. God is a Holy God, and cannot look upon sin without wrath. And as such all are sinners and deserve the Holy retribution that God gives. We have no excuse as we set ourselves up as little 'gods' and do not listen to our conscience, for those who hear the gospel of Christ and do not repent and worship Him as King there is no excuse. I thank and praise my Lord that He redeemed me through His great and awesome mercy and grace.

• 2 months later...

We as people unwittingly follow Satan as we are tempted, drawn in, enticed by the **** of the flesh, **** of the eyes and the pride of life. These three can mean a host of topics, venues or actions. In that anything that takes our eyes and mind off of Christ we will follow after that. Like lemmings, following blind over the cliff. This is what all of humanity is doing. Following their own ways, religions called "chirstian" but not following Christs' teachings. Not walking the walk and talking the talk. We follow after leisure, sports, "wine, work, sex, family, selves then on women and song" then we spend of our time foolishly. But for those who know the truth of Christ Jesus and follow after him. To those; salvation and eternal life. ALL OTHERS THE LAKE OF FIRE. By following after our own desires we find ourselves in rebellion against God's word, his laws and we fail to obey what he wants us to do. Then we are sinning. Even though we are predisposed to sin. That we have a sinfull nature, meaning that given the choice most of the human race will choose to sin rather than do good. So how can God in all "fairness" blame us. In every way. He is the Creator, we are the created. He had placed us here and given us his word "The Bible", he has written his laws on our very hearts and by Adams sin and fall we have in place the knowledge of good and evil. We all have choices to make, every moment of every day of our lives. To choose God's way and Obey. Or not. "This day God says, I set before you life and death. Choose life". So since we have this knowledge of good and evil and we then by our own accord transgress God's laws-sin. He hold us accountable. PERIOD.

• 2 months later...

satan have there mind blind this is the old man of scripture that works in the children of disobedience. When one gets rid of this spirit he no longer here the old man in him or dominating him no longer.but a person chose to stir up rebellion so he must be executed to keep peace.once we are instructions given us of right from wrong and if we chose wrong then a father who love his son ,will with the rod of correction shall drive it far from him, so our heavenly father do us.

Christian and non-Christian alike. When we as Christians are not hearkening diligently to God, listening to his voice, walking with him, one day at a time; we are listening to our own hearts, our own voices, or worse the disctracting confusing voices of Satans minions, they decetive, fearful voices. god has warned us, over and over again. His word is full of warnings, rules to keep us safe, directions when we are in danger whether it be self-inflicted or otherwise. In addition, he is well aware of how difficult it is to live in this world. We are no longer of it, and find ourselves struggling to walk through it. He is the answer ALWAYS..

I find myself in a difficult position in life right now. I have been a Christian for app. 30 years. My relationship has been vital and close. Over the past few years we have moved to a different church, on that reaches out to our community. This is what we thought the Lord wanted for us. Also, I have gone back to school and am in the process of expanding a businessl. I find myself in and out with God, it feels horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

People can unwittingly follow Satan by not choosing to follow God; if we're not for Him, we're against Him. We are responsible for unwitting rebellion against God in the sense that we know what we should do but we don't always choose to do it. God can, in all fairness, blame us because we are given the choice to do right or not, and we decide for ourselves.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Ephesians 2:1-3) Few people would knowingly follow Satan. How can people unwittingly follow Satan?

People who are dead in their sins, dead to Christ, unwittingly follow Satan, due to ignorance and deception. They may believe they are masters of their ship, and in control of their actions and lives, but are not powerful enough in their fallen nature to withstand the power of our enemy, whom they are blindly following. They may say they are agnostic, believing in a neutral stance, but by not choosing Jesus, they have made the unwitting decision to follow Satan.

In what sense are we responsible for unwitting rebellion against God?

We are not puppets. God has given us free will. He has given every human being a conscience. He has given us THE WAY of escape from that rebellion. He sends believers to us with the Gospel to lead us out of the fallen life we were born into.

How can God, in all fairness, blame us?

He can blame us based on our exercise of our free will. All who reject His WAY of escape in Jesus Christ, will be judged guilty of their sin. He does not send people to hell. Individuals choose hell as their destination by rejecting God's forgiveness and Salvation, when they reject the Savior's invitation of eternal life with Him.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Ephesians 2:1-3)

Few people would knowingly follow Satan. How can people unwittingly follow Satan?

Before we became believers, when we are spiritually dead, we unwittingly followed Satan. Our sinful nature, selfishness, and pride made sure of that. We are responsible for the sins we commit and God will hold us accountable, there is no excuse. If we violate His moral law, either in act, thought or nature, we sin and are responsible.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. (Ephesians 2:1-3) Few people would knowingly follow Satan. How can people unwittingly follow Satan?

In our deadness, we mindlessly follow the value systems of society or the ways of the world. Believing the self-centered relativistic values of modern culture is following Satan.

A lack of commitment to God is a commitment to Satan.

Although we do have "free will" and control over our actions, we are weak and break God's holy standards of conduct and righteousness. God sees that sin has overpowered our race and victimized us to the extent that we cannot escape without assistance. God sent Christ to pay the ransom for our sins. We cannot be rescued without our Saviour Jesus Christ.

• 6 months later...

It is easy to follow Satan unknowingly because people believe the cartoonish images of a guy with horns or associate following Satan with extreme cults that sacrifice animals and such. The bulk of Satan's work, however, is subtle, sneaking into our lives. While the cults are terrifying and blatantly evil, they enable the "average Joe" to believe that his self-centeredness is normal and harmless. "Cheating on your taxes, stealing music downloads, gossiping at work--those aren't all that bad, right? I mean, at least I haven't killed anyone. And I put a few bucks in the Salvation Army bucket this Christmas." However, these "small," subtle sins are what keep us far from God, tricking us into believing that everything is okay. We are responsible in knowing God's expectations, just as we are responsible for knowing the law.

• 1 month later...

Most people actually don't believe in Satan, so it is not a question of them deciding to follow Satan (that is for the Satanists - and they do exist)it is a question of them thinking that they are taking their own decisions and following the culture of the World. The trouble is that Satan is responsible for much of that culture and, left to our own devices, we will follow in the way of Satan because, since Adam's fall, that has been our default setting. There is a way out and the way is shown by Jesus, but we can choose to ignore it and therein lies the rebellion. Sometimes it is witting, sometimes unwitting, but rebellion nevertheless. By choosing to ignore the way out though, we bring down blame on ourselves and we follow Satan (one cannot serve 2 masters).

• 1 month later...

people can follow satan by following the ways of this world. Now that we are saved and have the Holy spirit inside us there is no excuse because with every temptation God will give us a way out and we do have the power through Christ to overcome as long as we stay in touch with Him and in close fellowship with the body of Christ. We have free will and a conscience!

• 3 weeks later...

2a)If people are not living in the light of Christ, they do not have the power to fend off evil foes, of the ways of this world and our sinful nature

• 1 month later...

By falling into sin, ( that's against GOD) , because we all sin, that doesn't mean that we follow the DEVIL..... SATAN will allow you to follow him, only if you are the right candate When I feel him in my presence, I just say; BE GONE SATAN, and it works...

• 1 month later...

To participate in wrong, or to follow Satan as you put it comes for me when I am down, or feeling depressed. Of course these feelings are straight from Satan. Even though these feelings are not sin so to speak they open the door for temptation to come into your life. We are responsible for our rebellion whether it is intentional or unintentional. For me personally, I have never (to my knowledge) intentionally sinned, so I dont know what that would be like. Usually if you are walking with God, and sin creeps into your life it is because you have let your guard down. We must always remained equipped to resist temptation and that is done by staying in the word and using the word of God against satan!

• 6 months later...

If we remain in our sinful nature, blinded by Satan's deception, not realizing Christ's gift to us in the power of His blood, we will sin unwittingly.

How can one be both "responsible" yet "unwitting"? For the Christian, saved by grace, it is through the ignorance of Satan's wiles. In Matthew chapter 4, Jesus was led into the desert by the Holy Spirit and yet tempted by Satan. Jesus was by no means unwitting as he knew the power of the scriptures and he recognized Satan using God's Word in a twisted manner. We are therefore responsible for rebellion if we do not adhere to the Word and abide in the Holy Spirit to give us discernment; this takes time in both reading the Word and hearing his rhema.

God has to blame us or he will not prove himself holy. However, he has provided us a way out of our darkness in Jesus. The blame lies in us, by not accepting the sacrifice of His son to allow us to become God's own children with His nature evident in our lives. After all, when we know our Father, that's whose voice we will listen to and we will recognize Satan as being the deceiver that he is.

• 2 months later...

People unwittingly follow Satan because in our deadness and lack of discernment we end up following Satan.

We are responsible for unwitting rebellion against God because we continue to live in the "flesh" always following the "cravings of our sinful nature."

God in all fairness can not blame us for something we have no control over, however, we do have control over our actions or "free will" has no meaning.